Danny Welbeck | Manchester United: 2001-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Didn't Welbeck play consistent enough in December and January last season? And all of sudden Moyes decided to bench him one of our consistent and best player in those 2 months for Rooney and RVP. Well, let's see if LVG can do the same thing like Sir Alex bench Rooney for Welbeck.
He came back into the team but didn't think it was that long before he was benched again. I think some of those performances were off the bench too. The problem with some players here is they can have as many bad games but still get picked, players like Danny aren't given the same luxury. I get the feeling LVG is going to be different....

JSMHE

He came back into the team but didn't think it was that long before he was benched again. I think some of those performances were off the bench too. The problem with some players here is they can have as many bad games but still get picked, players like Danny aren't given the same luxury. I get the feeling LVG is going to be different....
I think it was long. The last game he played in the league was Chelsea in 20th January 2014. And capital one cup vs Sunderland in 23rd January 2014.
And then he sat on the bench for the rest of games until 20th march against Olympiakos (played on the left) Which is 2 months. And start his league game in 26th March against city when RVP is injured.
He came on from the bench in the previous game like against WBA which is he scored, vs Liverpool which he won a free in a nice spot and also Olympiakos when we lost 2-0 but most of them in 75th or 80th minute came on from the bench.
This is what I mean, when the player is on fire you shouldn't bench him that long.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Welbeck has proven his ability to adapt and van Gaal will require players that can adapt to different roles. I don't think Welbeck will feature as much (if everyone is fit) as he has previously but he could very well play just as important a role.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Still waiting for the Welbeck explosion - I want him to, christ I'd even help him with the jetpack backpack - but so far I have seen nothing but striking mediocrity & the odd good game. In 50 yearsI dont recall a striker with so many first team chances for such a poor return, (he has surpassed Birtles now) but hopefully Van Gaal can polish his attributes - or ditch him - as of now he is neither one thing nor the other
For someone with such a "poor return", he still scored more goals in his first 2 full seasons than Birtles did whilst playing out wide more than half of the time.

Since the beginning, we've known that he couldn't play as a winger (the FA Cup match against Leeds in the 2009/10 season comes to mind). Everyone bar a couple of players performed poorly under Moyes. Let's see if he can do well under van Gaal before we label him as worse than Birtles.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would be a shame not to give an "atta boy" to Danny, worked hard, good closing on the keeper, good hold up play to bring Mata into play on the 1st goal and lovely little flick round the corner and run to win the penalty.

Good 45 from him, again.

FromTheBench

Yeah, thought he did well again.

His link up play and dynamism up front opens this formation up more than what RVP - Rooney would i imagine as they are both more static. So that would be interesting.

Dante

Average bang
It's a question of numbers with Welbeck.

Last season, DW scored about a goal every 4 shots, which is roughly the same as RVP and slightly better than Rooney. The problem is that he only averaged 1.8 shots per game, whilst the other two averaged 3 and 3.5 respectively. What this meant was that Rooney and RVP would score a goal every week, so all their bad misses would be easily forgotten. Meanwhile, Welbeck wasn't playing regularly so he might have ended a scoring run on some given Saturday, been rested the next match, had 2 missed shots the game after that, then been put on the bench for two weeks before missing a shot in the following match and only finally scoring again after another week's break. This would have meant he'd still be matching RVP's scoring ratio of 1 in 5 shots, but the misses and the time in between goals would have entrenched opinions and made him the butt of jokes.

His problem isn't his finishing, it's the fact he makes the wrong kind of runs so he doesn't get on the end of chances. This doesn't mean his runs aren't still useful for his teammates, mind you. It's just that they detract from his own statistics.

If LvG gives him matches up front and forces him to stay around the box, he'll score plenty of goals this season.

JSMHE

It's a question of numbers with Welbeck.

Last season, DW scored about a goal every 4 shots, which is roughly the same as RVP and slightly better than Rooney. The problem is that he only averaged 1.8 shots per game, whilst the other two averaged 3 and 3.5 respectively. What this meant was that Rooney and RVP would score a goal every week, so all their bad misses would be easily forgotten. Meanwhile, Welbeck wasn't playing regularly so he might have ended a scoring run on some given Saturday, been rested the next match, had 2 missed shots the game after that, then been put on the bench for two weeks before missing a shot in the following match and only finally scoring again after another week's break. This would have meant he'd still be matching RVP's scoring ratio of 1 in 5 shots, but the misses and the time in between goals would have entrenched opinions and made him the butt of jokes.

His problem isn't his finishing, it's the fact he makes the wrong kind of runs so he doesn't get on the end of chances. This doesn't mean his runs aren't still useful for his teammates, mind you. It's just that they detract from his own statistics.

If LvG gives him matches up front and forces him to stay around the box, he'll score plenty of goals this season.
IMO RVP was the one who make a wrong kind of run last season since he got caught a lot of offside last season. Compare to RVP, Welbeck plays more out of position than him, so the chances he got won't be as much as RVP (it depends on the service as well), Welbeck run seems great to me. RVP has a better composure and shot. Welbeck playing style is a second striker.

Alright I won't talk about RVP in this paragraph, but scoring goals is not only the most important one to win the game. We look at Berbatov a striker who has a great composure or better composure than Tevez or Rooney, if we don't talk about attitude outside the pitch, I still prefer Rooney or Tevez than Berbatov what's the point having a better finishing but you are lazy and not working as a team by helping everyone.

Gladiator

IMO RVP was the one who make a wrong kind of run last season since he got caught a lot of offside last season. Compare to RVP, Welbeck plays more out of position than him, so the chances he got won't be as much as RVP (it depends on the service as well), Welbeck run seems great to me. RVP has a better composure and shot. Welbeck playing style is a second striker.

Alright I won't talk about RVP in this paragraph, but scoring goals is not only the most important one to win the game. We look at Berbatov a striker who has a great composure or better composure than Tevez or Rooney, if we don't talk about attitude outside the pitch, I still prefer Rooney or Tevez than Berbatov what's the point having a better finishing but you are lazy and not working as a team by helping everyone.
can you elaborate on this? Not sure it makes much sense to me. You can make a good run but still be caught offside if the pass is too late for example

JSMHE

can you elaborate on this? Not sure it makes much sense to me. You can make a good run but still be caught offside if the pass is too late for example
My bad it wasn't a bad run. Just lazy to stay onside. What RVP did isn't an early run, he is often being caught offside for just staying offside. This happened so many times in 2nd half of the last season.

Gladiator

My bad it wasn't a bad run. Just lazy to stay onside. What RVP did isn't an early run, he is often being caught offside for just staying offside. This happened so many times in 2nd half of the last season.
hm okay. I felt like past two seasons, we've had trouble picking up on RVP's runs. Carrick and Scholes were the only two I can think of who could pick him out. Since RVP doesnt have as much pace as he used to, I presume he likes to use his intelligent movement and runs to create some separation from him and the defender. But the run isn't very useful if it's not being rewarded.

Also we played under a different system last season, I would expect RVP to be a bit more involved this time around

JSMHE

hm okay. I felt like past two seasons, we've had trouble picking up on RVP's runs. Carrick and Scholes were the only two I can think of who could pick him out. Since RVP doesnt have as much pace as he used to, I presume he likes to use his intelligent movement and runs to create some separation from him and the defender. But the run isn't very useful if it's not being rewarded.

Also we played under a different system last season, I would expect RVP to be a bit more involved this time around
I also thought it was because of the different system, but after watching his world cup, he actually did the same mistake as well for lazy to stay onside. I said bad run because I remember he did run as well but I realise he made the run when he already in an offside position which come out in my conclusion that last season after his injury he was just lazy to stay onside. But it might be just a frustration of the service he got. But if we come back with the original discussion of Welbeck run and RVP's I'm stick with Welbeck is a pretty good every time when he makes a run. Welbeck is also a type guy who love the kind of service from through ball.

Gladiator

I also thought it was because of the different system, but after watching his world cup, he actually did the same mistake as well for lazy to stay onside. I said bad run because I remember he did run as well but I realise he made the run when he already in an offside position which come out in my conclusion that last season after his injury he was just lazy to stay onside. But it might be just a frustration of the service he got. But if we come back with the original discussion of Welbeck run and RVP's I'm stick with Welbeck is a pretty good every time when he makes a run. Welbeck is also a type guy who love the kind of service from through ball.
It may have been the type of runs you remember. RVP made some good runs as well which got rewarded. Sometimes it has to do with the timing of the pass. In their comeback against Australia, he made a well-timed run which was rewarded by a well-timed pass from Depay and just like that Holland find themselves back in the game.

If you notice, Welbeck's runs usually come from deeper positions, hence reduces the likelihood of being offside. he's not often deployed as a 9. And if he is, he tends to drop deeper.

JSMHE

It may have been the type of runs you remember. RVP made some good runs as well which got rewarded. Sometimes it has to do with the timing of the pass. In their comeback against Australia, he made a well-timed run which was rewarded by a well-timed pass from Depay and just like that Holland find themselves back in the game.

If you notice, Welbeck's runs usually come from deeper positions, hence reduces the likelihood of being offside. he's not often deployed as a 9. And if he is, he tends to drop deeper.
It's just to me that RVP last season is lazier to stay onside compare to his previous seasons. While Welbeck himself as what I already said he's a 2nd striker type.

Gladiator

It's just to me that RVP last season is lazier to stay onside compare to his previous seasons. While Welbeck himself as what I already said he's a 2nd striker type.
hm well let's see how this season goes. RVP seemed quite fatigued to me at the World Cup so hopefully he comes back refreshed

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I believe Welbeck did well with what he was handed today. He orchestrated our best piece of play against Inter which showcase the type of football I want United to play.

I am concerned though that our players do not find Welbeck more often with the ball. They tend to overlook him for a pass or opt for the safer option. I remember when Welbeck made a great run inside the box, but Rooney went for glory instead. Nevertheless, hopefully we can play through Welbeck more often so we can see more intricate passing in the attacking half.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hopefully he finally "explodes" under LVG. With his technique and pace he can help us play wonderful football

Sam

Hoping thats not a serious injury :nervous:

I think he's almost cermented his place as one of the first names on the teamsheet, this system suits him so well, and the team needs his pace. Let Rooney and RVP battle it out for the other spot.

Glanville95

Didn't have a very good game, but he is vital for this system to work and I have the utmost belief that he can really excel next season. Hopefully the injury isn't too serious.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Looks like a hammy to me :(
His hamstring also went in the Arsenal 8-2 do you remember? Having started 2011/12 so strongly Welbz's progress was interrupted by injury, it'd be a pity if the same thing happened again now. However, Van Persie's path to the first XI just totally cleared up. If Welbeck's hamstring has gone, any doubt over whether Van Persie starts against Swansea evaporates.

JSMHE

Get well soon Welbz. He did really well today. Winning the ball so many times. Got an assist as well for bonus. Trio Welbeck, Rooney, Mata did great combination so far.

Blue always red

Brought much more running to the team and his decision making us much better than Zaha. We missed his presence when he went off.

LR7

He's key to some of our quick one touch passing in the final third. Makes us more fluid. I love him. Hope he's fit for Swansea.

LARulz

Apparently City 'let him go' when he was 10 years old. Never knew that.

But I hope he's not seriously injured. I think he's key for Van Gaal, I think we'll lose a bit of our dynamic play when we play RvP and Rooney. Yes they are great players on their day but there is little speed and hassle about them. Welbeck is quick and cause defenders and midfielders problems as he will chase non stop.

Bojan11

His pace is crucial for us. Hope injury isn't too bad.

Walters_19_MuFc

Another great game for Danny. Hope the injury is not too serious. Be nice to see him against Liverpool on Monday, but I doubt Van Gaal will want to risk him ahead of the season, where I think he has a very good chance of starting, providing he's fit.

Godfather

His hamstring also went in the Arsenal 8-2 do you remember? Having started 2011/12 so strongly Welbz's progress was interrupted by injury, it'd be a pity if the same thing happened again now. However, Van Persie's path to the first XI just totally cleared up. If Welbeck's hamstring has gone, any doubt over whether Van Persie starts against Swansea evaporates.
Yep.
Really hope it isnt his hammy though. 4 weeks at least otherwise :/

Juan't Mata

Really hope its just a minor injury. LVG is gonna turn him into a superstar.

Devil may care

His pace and athleticism are important in this system like Robben was for Holland, hopefully it's just a knock.

FromTheBench

If he could just learn in the box movement from Cheech to get into goalscoring areas he'd be a monster.

There's a play building up wide or central and many times he just loiters at the edge of the box rather than just making that final run beyond the last man or even anticipating a rebound.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I hope his knee injury isn't too bad. A lengthy time out will be bad for him at this stage as he seems to become more a key player for us. Once again, he did well against Real Madrid and is very good at holding the ball up and getting others involved. His movement's been very good up front and allows for Mata to ghost into goalscoring positions. He's massively improved at using his physical traits as well, and this will make him even more dangerous.

I just hope that this injury isn't serious. If it is, it'll be tough for Welbeck to establish himself into the first team again unless van Persie/Chicharito goes off the boil.

Jammydodger7

David Stowell said something about when Welbeck was 15 and playing for the u18s that they had to refer to him as just "Welbeck" and weren't allowed use his first name, does anyone know why this was?

ZDwyr

Really hope his injury isn't too bad. He's such a nice option to have up-front. Probably wasn't his best game today but he backtracked well to win the ball a couple of times.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Any news on his injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.