Danny Welbeck | Manchester United: 2001-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
David Stowell said something about when Welbeck was 15 and playing for the u18s that they had to refer to him as just "Welbeck" and weren't allowed use his first name, does anyone know why this was?
He likes to be called by his surname I guess..

An Irish Red

Really hope its just a minor injury. LVG is gonna turn him into a superstar.
I think the same. He's very good technically as well as being big, strong and fast with a strong work ethic.

If you were a developing player you couldn't ask for more than being coached by Louis Van Gaal at Man Utd either. He has every possible opportunity available to him, it's in his hands.

I'm confident he'll end up some player.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I am surprised that Van Gaal has not told Welbeck to shoot more often after his first goal this pre-season. I am not sure, but it appears that Welbeck has not made another shot since the opening game? Last season, I noted that he has alot of power when he strikes the ball, as a result it surprises me that he does not shoot more often. He needs to be more selfish in his all round game and get into better goalscoring position to strike the ball.

Brightonian

He doesn't actually need to score provided he continues to be part of performances where the team scores. Honestly, if he'd never been introduced to us as a striker but rather as an attacking midfielder, he'd be much more highly rated. It's only this expectation that scoring lots of goals should be part of his game that holds back his reputation. See him as an all-action, creative, pacy, flair AM and he fulfils every requirement magnificently.

And I actually think it suits this formation to have one proper 'striker' (Rooney) and one more all-round attacking player (Welbeck) playing ahead of the playmaker. Obviously we'll have to see what it's like fitting RVP in next to Rooney - maybe with RVP as the 'striker' Wayne can become the 'all-round attacker'. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if we struggle at first with those two, without that player running around making the spaces, linking up the play and winning the ball. Arguably that position might be well-suited to Januzaj as well.

Brophs

The One and Only
What happened to him apparently wanting to leave? I remember him making anew comment on England duty a couple of months suggesting he might have been looking to move on. Hopefully we can give him enough games to make him happy enough to stay. He really is a fantastic player.

Aint gota Kalou

What happened to him apparently wanting to leave? I remember him making anew comment on England duty a couple of months suggesting he might have been looking to move on. Hopefully we can give him enough games to make him happy enough to stay. He really is a fantastic player.
It was all about being able to play upfront and not constantly shifted to the wings. Thankfully we won't have that problem with this new formation.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was all about being able to play upfront and not constantly shifted to the wings. Thankfully we won't have that problem with this new formation.
I think it was that to a degree, but I'm guessing neither he nor Moyes were fans of each other. He came out saying he enjoys playing on the wings for England, because it's a 'different system' (or words of similar effect). I'm not sure about that, but I'm guessing the hostility also played a part.

forevrared

Have to imagine this system would work so much better with a player like Danny next to Rooney, rather than Hernandez.

Walters_19_MuFc

People will now start to find out how much Welbeck gives to our TEAM performance. Well, hopefully they do. Since he's been injured, even against Liverpool and Valencia, we've looked pretty slow in the final third.

Anyone know when he's back?

Drainy

Creates space with his movement and pace, an attacking outlet for people on the ball, brings other people into play with sharp passes, presses defenders on the ball or blocks the passing lanes for defenders forcing them to play a riskier pass leading to turnovers- We missed him today, Mata and Rooney would probably have been far more influential than with a poacher like Hernandez in the team. In fact, Januzaj probably should have started a striker ahead of Hernandez

Godfather

Could have done with him. I doubt he could have turned everybody around him into a worldbeater though.

Sylar

Stretches play with his running and pace, defends from the front (and is underrated in the number of times he actually wins the ball back from us) and his one touch play is really good most of the time as well.

Team always plays better with him in. Shame hes injured, hope he comes back real soon.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
One of our most important players I'd say. He has everything we are missing from our attack, not least his searing pace. His link up play with Mata and Herrera was a huge part of our best preseason football. His work rate and closing down from the front is outstanding also. Any prognosis on his injury?

Manucho the boss

One of our most important players I'd say. He has everything we are missing from our attack, not least his searing pace. His link up play with Mata and Herrera was a huge part of our best preseason football. His work rate and closing down from the front is outstanding also. Any prognosis on his injury?
Don't think we're interested in doing that from today's performance. Often in the World Cup the Dutch would let the opposition have the ball in their own half, I prefer pressing from the front especially when we're the home team, the onus is on us to be the attacking team, not sit back and let visitors have the ball.

LR7

For me it isn't just about him stretching teams with his pace, it's also his little flicks and one-twos and quick link-up play in and around the box are so important in us breaking teams down and progressing into meaningful positions. We were far to ponderous and predictable until Januzaj offered something different.
I think we miss him a lot.

JSMHE

For me it isn't just about him stretching teams with his pace, it's also his little flicks and one-twos and quick link-up play in and around the box are so important in us breaking teams down and progressing into meaningful positions. We were far to ponderous and predictable until Januzaj offered something different.
I think we miss him a lot.
Yup.
The fact that LVG said we didn't play as a team because none of them do quick link up play today. We played a very slow tempo.
What I don't understand is some people think quick link up play isn't important. How many times Scholes said we need to move the ball quicker.

Acole9

Outstanding
Any ideas how long he's out for and what the nature of the injury is? We could've done with him yesterday. Our play in the final third was really lacking.

Brophs

The One and Only

Can't be true, surely. He's a cracking player.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We are going to sell hernandez and Welbeck. Then sign Cavani and ignore CM.

You know this is whats going to happen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What does the tweet say?

I think we should keep him. Wouldn't be that fussed if he left.

Dante

Average bang
I can't see this happening. Welbeck was very good in preseason, so I'm sure LvG will at least want to see him in a competitive game. If it does happen, it'd be a huge a mistake.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's no way we'd be stupid enough to sell our only player in the squad who is capable of using his pace to make runs and stretch the opposition whilst also being very good at pressing in the final third with very good one touch football.

Lance Uppercut

I was told that even the idea of Welbeck leaving the club was completely preposterous.

DocRockter

Better to wait until the press today before believing this.. Hopefully not, Welbeck has A LOT more to offer than Chicharito, specially under the new system..

Status
Not open for further replies.