Danny Welbeck | Manchester United: 2001-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyUnited_83

Just refuse to believe this. If we sell Chico and Welbeck, surely we would need another striker, in which case Mario at £16mil wouldn't have been bad business :)

Seriously though, I don't see the point in weakening an area we are strongest in!

Lance Uppercut

He isnt a natural in front of goal and definitely needs to improve but cmon, he does score when Played as an actual striker. Most of the time of late, he's played everywhere but as a striker.

Moreover, You'd rather we kept Hernandez over him?
I didn't say that. I said I won't be overly bothered if he leaves. Same goes for Hernandez.

Raw

Welbeck adds more to the play, what's this more you lot keep harping on about? Hernandez scores more, is that not adding to our play?
Hernandez is invisible for 80% of the time he's on the pitch. He barely contributes as much as Welbeck does.

And if you're going off goal tallies, I hope you took into account that Welbeck was playing on the left wing a lot of the time at United.

izec

Sell Hernandez and keep Welbeck. He is important to the way we play. He offers much more than your typical striker like Hernandez. Hernandez is totally out of form at the moment. Madness if true.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was amongst our best performers in pre-season and perfect for either the inside left of a 4-3-3 or through the middle. There is no way he is going.
He's never been that good out wide. Very much comes across as a central striker forced to play out wide, which he is.

Does a good job as a high energy high pressing attacker in games when we sit back though.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There's also the possibility Welbeck still wants away as he isn't first choice and this is the club putting their spin on things... Not much we can do if he wants to leave.

Lance Uppercut

I think we can all agree that he is behind Rooney and RvP in the pecking order. Perhaps he wants to play and has asked to leave?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course he can. He may not see Welbeck fitting into his preferred system, despite his attributes. Perhaps there is even someone he would like to bring in. We just don't know.

All speculation, obviously.
For sure. I just think it was so obvious in pre-season that we were a better side with Welbeck on the pitch than without him. It's actually true for most of the last couple of seasons. So long as he's playing as a striker anyway. On the relatively rare occasions in the last two seasons when we've looked good against quality opposition it's almost always involved Danny playing up top. Mind you, this is all linked to Rooney and RvP never looking like they could form a partnership. Which is not a bullet I can see Van Gaal being willing to bite, now that he's made Rooney captain.

ottosec

Probably bullshit, but he's 100% ahead of Hernandez. Maybe he was told that he wasn't going to be first choice and he wants to go somewhere where he is?

walsh

Welbeck adds more to the play, what's this more you lot keep harping on about? Hernandez scores more, is that not adding to our play?
This 'more' we're harping on about is build up play, high pressing, decent in the air and giving us a great option to stretch the defence with his pace. Chicha's goals have dried up, so he doesn't even contribute that any more.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think we can all agree that he is behind Rooney and RvP in the pecking order. Perhaps he wants to play and has asked to leave?
Definitely possible.

Fecking shame, if true. Especially with RvP reverting to his former "man of glass" persona in the last 12 months or so. Not as though Rooney is unbreakable either,

Jev

Quick passing, movement, energetic pressing, dynamism, better technique, ability to hold up the ball and dribble. Hernandez is not good enough for United in my opinion. Besides, it's been a while since he scored a lot.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This 'more' we're harping on about is build up play, high pressing, decent in the air and giving us a great option to stretch the defence with his pace. Chicha's goals have dried up, so he doesn't even contribute that any more.
Pretty much spot on. We look miles better when he's in the team.

Lance Uppercut

Definitely possible.

Fecking shame, if true. Especially with RvP reverting to his former "man of glass" persona in the last 12 months or so. Not as though Rooney is unbreakable either,
I think rumours were circulating last season that he wanted out. If that is the case, at his age, it is hard to blame him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Would be disappointing. On his day, he is a very good player for us.

Now RVP is back, maybe LVG has told Welbeck that he is our #3. If he wants to leave, then you can't blame him. With Wilson making a sudden rise with a lot of momentum behind him, he could easily outperform Welbeck and as LVG has said, it doesn't matter regarding experience, if a younger player is playing better than an older player he will play.

amolbhatia50k

For sure. I just think it was so obvious in pre-season that we were a better side with Welbeck on the pitch than without him. It's actually true for most of the last couple of seasons. So long as he's playing as a striker anyway. On the relatively rare occasions in the last two seasons when we've looked good against quality opposition it's almost always involved Danny playing up top. Mind you, this is all linked to Rooney and RvP never looking like they could form a partnership. Which is not a bullet I can see Van Gaal being willing to bite, now that he's made Rooney captain.
Yeah he will make getting the Rvp and Rooney partnership to work one of his main priorities. He's made Rooney and captain and he clearly rates RVP very highly. Plus, on paper they're actually ideal for each other. More than a couple of passes to each other would be a good start.

amolbhatia50k

Would be disappointing. On his day, he is a very good player for us.

Now RVP is back, maybe LVG has told Welbeck that he is our #3. If he wants to leave, then you can't blame him. With Wilson making a sudden rise with a lot of momentum behind him, he could easily outperform Welbeck and as LVG has said, it doesn't matter regarding experience, if a younger player is playing better than an older player he will play.
This could be the case and if it is, there's nothing we can do. He's not going to actually be first choice for us any time soon.

RuudTom83

Not great news to hear...but it is easy to see the arguments for and against the move from both sides!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Plus, if it meant Di Maria coming if Welbeck left (because Welbeck has essentially been a winger for us anyway), then I'd be leaning towards that sadly. I adore when our academy players come through, but I just can't see Welbeck keeping a first team spot with us. He's not clinical enough unfortunately. Sure, he's played on the wing a heck of a lot of times for us so his goals/games ratio will obviously not be fantastic. But even when he's performing well for us up front, he's eventually shifted out to make way for Rooney and RVP. There's a reason he can't hold down a position up there and that may be down his decision making (which isn't awful by any means) or the clinicality (?) that's missing from his game.

SteveW

I'd be very annoyed to see him go. He's quality and our only 1st team striker with real pace. He was also very good in pre-season so I see no reason why LVG would want to let him go.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
This would make no sense. If we want to sell a striker it has to be Hernandez.

legball

Quick passing, movement, energetic pressing, dynamism, better technique, ability to hold up the ball and dribble. Hernandez is not good enough for United in my opinion. Besides, it's been a while since he scored a lot.
Yeah, he's not good enough for United, it's your opinion though so that's fine.

Robbie Boy

Wouldn't be overly fussed if he goes. He's a good player and all but nowhere near as good as some on here like to make out. In saying that, I would rather keep him than get shafted and sell him for £16m. The hysteria on here if he left would be hilarious, though.

legball

Hernandez is invisible for 80% of the time he's on the pitch. He barely contributes as much as Welbeck does.

And if you're going off goal tallies, I hope you took into account that Welbeck was playing on the left wing a lot of the time at United.
Playing on the left wing is not a reason to scoff simple shots, fall over inside the 18 box and miss easy chances, too many excuses being made for him.

legball

Church.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
If this was to free up a space for Cavani, then I really would start to lose hope for this season.

legball

Wouldn't be overly fussed if he goes. He's a good player and all but nowhere near as good as some on here like to make out. In saying that, I would rather keep him than get shafted and sell him for £16m. The hysteria on here if he left would be hilarious, though.
Exactly my point and some see it as an opportunity to criticize Hernandez. I'll be pissed off if we sell Welbeck and keep the likes of Young and Anderson.

Leg-End

In a world where someone like Borini can be loaned out to a mid-table side, score 7 goals and suddenly be worth £12 million why wouldn't we just loan him out for a year whilst we address other areas? If £12-15 million is his value then we may as well hold onto him, he's 24, English and still has plenty of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.