Danny Welbeck | Manchester United: 2001-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf

For me, Welbeck's main issues are his finishing and his decision making close to goal. If he can sort those out he will push RVP and Rooney for their places. The goal at Galaxy was encouraging in that he had the confidence and single-mindedness to take the shot rather than try to set up someone else. Agree that he will do well under Van Gaal.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Welbeck's finishing is all that's holding him back from going to the next level. He's a hard worker on defence, has high fitness levels, and is good at short passing in tight spaces. If he can improve his finishing then he'll be a beast, I think he fits Van Gaal's system brilliantly.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Welbeck's finishing is all that's holding him back from going to the next level. He's a hard worker on defence, has high fitness levels, and is good at short passing in tight spaces. If he can improve his finishing then he'll be a beast, I think he fits Van Gaal's system brilliantly.
I'd even say general urgency when a decisive situation comes up. Whether it's scoring or squaring it to his teammates, Danny has a lot to improve but then how much can he improve ? Maybe we're seeing the finished article.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'd even say general urgency when a decisive situation comes up. Whether it's scoring or squaring it to his teammates, Danny has a lot to improve but then how much can he improve ? Maybe we're seeing the finished article.
If this is as good as he gets then it's a waste of potential, but I doubt it. He can improve a lot, he just needs to focus and apply himself under Van Gaal.
Although you are right, he also needs to hone his instincts in the box.

kouroux

If this is as good as he gets then it's a waste of potential, but I doubt it. He can improve a lot, he just needs to focus and apply himself under Van Gaal.
Although you are right, he also needs to hone his instincts in the box.
I hope I'm wrong tbh but I look at it like this, how much has he improved since 2011 ? Not much, perhaps he's stronger but he still has poor balance. Him and Cleverley were promising when they broke through but they haven't improved at all. It is sad and frustrating.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I hope I'm wrong tbh but I look at it like this, how much has he improved since 2011 ? Not much, perhaps he's stronger but he still has poor balance. Him and Cleverley were promising when they broke through but they haven't improved at all. It is sad and frustrating.
His hold up play, strength, agility and passing is significantly better. The only thing he's missing in his game is being clinical, other than that he has it all. He'll have a big year this season imo, he's the type of player Van Gaal will love and he's actually an effective striker when played upfront (as proven last season), something that will happen much more this season. Rooney/RvP could find themselves on the bench if they aren't on it.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
He hasn't improved too much since 2011, but I'm unwilling to judge that too harshly. For one, he has spent the past 2 seasons behind Rooney and Van Persie in the striker position and so plays more on the wing, not his natural position. Secondly, his effort and assets are clear for all to see if only they could be molded and improved. In Cleverley's case, watching him now makes me wonder why I rated him so highly in 2011-12, whereas watching Welbeck makes it clear that if he just applies his skillset correctly, he still has all the tools to succeed here. I agree that it's frustrating, but I'm giving all the United players a free pass for last season, so I calculate that Welbeck has only had 1 season of regression and not 2 ;). Therefore I'm willing to see how he develops under Van Gaal before declaring him a lost cause.

kouroux

His hold up play, strength, agility and passing is significantly better. The only thing he's missing in his game is being clinical, other than that he has it all. He'll have a big year this season imo, he's the type of player Van Gaal will love and he's actually an effective striker when played upfront (as proven last season), something that will happen much more this season. Rooney/RvP could find themselves on the bench if they aren't on it.
I hope you're right. Regarding the area he's improved at, only strength I agree with. The rest has more or less been the same.

kouroux

He hasn't improved too much since 2011, but I'm unwilling to judge that too harshly. For one, he has spent the past 2 seasons behind Rooney and Van Persie in the striker position and so plays more on the wing, not his natural position. Secondly, his effort and assets are clear for all to see if only they could be molded and improved. In Cleverley's case, watching him now makes me wonder why I rated him so highly in 2011-12, whereas watching Welbeck makes it clear that if he just applies his skillset correctly, he still has all the tools to succeed here. I agree that it's frustrating, but I'm giving all the United players a free pass for last season, so I calculate that Welbeck has only had 1 season of regression and not 2 ;). Therefore I'm willing to see how he develops under Van Gaal before declaring him a lost cause.
I just wonder if Utd is the right club for him to develop into that great striker he can potentially be.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I hope you're right. Regarding the area he's improved at, only strength I agree with. The rest has more or less been the same.
Nah, his hold up play and passing is much, much better than it was. He's probably our best forward at holding up the ball imo. He hardly ever gets tackled and uses the ball well. I like how he has the confidence to express himself in the final third with elaborate flicks. Just needs games upfront and shooting practise (which Van Gaal seems to be focusing on).

kouroux

I cannot agree I'm sorry. RVP is our best player at holding it up, that is when he is fit. It is crazy how Welbeck is highly regarded by Utd fans and not by others and by others I don't mean ABUs cnuts. People who watch football and who are neutral

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I cannot agree I'm sorry. RVP is our best player at holding it up, that is when he is fit. It is crazy how Welbeck is highly regarded by Utd fans and not by others and by others I don't mean ABUs cnuts. People who watch football and who are neutral
We agree to disagree. Perhaps its because we watch him in every game and have a better idea of his talents? Or perhaps we just don't get blinded by the "star players". Most non United fans rate Rooney as a world class player, many United fans don't.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
It is crazy how Welbeck is highly regarded by Utd fans and not by others and by others I don't mean ABUs cnuts. People who watch football and who are neutral
Probably because United fans watch the whole game every week. Neutral's might not watch every game in full, just catch the highlights and key moments (where Welbeck lets himself down). Every other part of the game, we see just how good he is and how well he has developed.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Will this be the season where his career goals-to-games ratio becomes better than Heskey's then?

(trollface)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Will this be the season where his career goals-to-games ratio becomes better than Heskey's then?

(trollface)
whitetext.. :nono:

Started 10 games as CF last season, 7 goals, 3 assists. He played well last season when played upfront. Moyes as usual totally mismanaged him and dropped him from the team after the 3-1 defeat to Chelsea, despite having scored 6 goals and 2 assists in the 6 games prior to that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
whitetext.. :nono:

Started 10 games as CF last season, 7 goals, 3 assists. He played well last season when played upfront. Moyes as usual totally mismanaged him and dropped him from the team after the 3-1 defeat to Chelsea, despite having scored 6 goals and 2 assists in the 6 games prior to that.
And yet Heskey has a better career average. He had a decent season too once.

Just sayin...

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
And yet Heskey has a better career average. He had a decent season too once.

Just sayin...
Kevin Phillips had an amazing season as well, I'd better start worrying about Sturridge!

Welbeck barely played any games as a CF but when he does he scores goals and makes assists. He's a far better player when played in his natural position, when played out of position on the wing/wide forward he's just not effective.

kouroux

We agree to disagree. Perhaps its because we watch him in every game and have a better idea of his talents? Or perhaps we just don't get blinded by the "star players". Most non United fans rate Rooney as a world class player, many United fans don't.
The people I have in mind watch Man Utd as much as regular fans.

Probably because United fans watch the whole game every week. Neutral's might not watch every game in full, just catch the highlights and key moments (where Welbeck lets himself down). Every other part of the game, we see just how good he is and how well he has developed.
Or some Utd fans are biased.Works both ways.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A much smaller proportion than Welbeck at United, though. Which is why comparing their goal-scoring ratios is daft.

Not to mention that Heskey had only just signed for Liverpool when he was the age that Welbeck is now.

But hey, keep on trolling. It's what you do.

kouroux

Maybe you're biased then? Watch Welbeck with a clear mind and you might see what we're on about. Out of interest, what rating did you give him for the recent friendly against LA Galaxy?
Or maybe you are too in your own way. Watch him too with a mind different than usual and you'll see what I'm on about too.
I didn't watch the friendly against LA Galaxy, pre season football general means feck all to me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Or maybe you are too in your own way. Watch him too with a mind different than usual and you'll see what I'm on about too.
I didn't watch the friendly against LA Galaxy, pre season football general means feck all to me.
I always do, every game, with every United player.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Had him down as one of oyr best players again Galaxy. Having seen van Gaals Dutch team at the World Cup, I think Welbeck will be the most pleasant surprise for him at United.

His ability in the build up, along with his physical abilities and work rate will make him a valuable asset to van Gaal. I think he'll really take a shine to Welbeck.

Eric'sCollar

Had him down as one of oyr best players again Galaxy. Having seen van Gaals Dutch team at the World Cup, I think Welbeck will be the most pleasant surprise for him at United.

His ability in the build up, along with his physical abilities and work rate will make him a valuable asset to van Gaal. I think he'll really take a shine to Welbeck.
Agreed but in my opinion, any manager will have a lot of time for Welbeck, he offers so much.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll get a lot of games this year I feel - at striker, too. Now is the time to perform, and I feel he will. Big season ahead.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Welbeck is always a name I want to see on the team sheet in the big games. He usually steps up and plays out of his skin for his team. He was quality against Bayern last season and Real Madrid the season before in both legs of both games.

He has his issues with getting goals but I think that now it looks likely we are playing with 2 forwards this season he will get a lot more game time in his favoured position and be able to get in them goal scoring area's that he couldn't on the wing.

Eric'sCollar

Also, with Mata and Herrera, you would think we will create a lot more actual goal scoring chances than in previous seasons. So often most of our chances in the last few seasons have come from crosses, and while they can be great chances, it's not the same as being put through on goal. So hopefully the likes of Herrera and Mata in central areas can provide Welbeck, Rooney and RVP with more clear chances this season.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
If Rooney or Van Persie don't gel like last season or if LVG feels the front line needs more industry and pace then I can see LVG dropping one of them and playing Welbeck. Its just disappointing with Welbeck, we know he has a lot of good things going for him but he lacks consistent end product. He has good touch, technique and a good instinctive finish on him but there are times when he looks like bambi on ice, looking completely out of place, being unable to trap a bag of cement and running about like a headless chicken... I know he has been playing out wide more often than he would have liked but that is no excuse for his poor goal return. With the switch to 3-5-2, I expect more chances for Welbeck to show his true value to the team. Playing centrally with the creativity of Mata and Herrera behind him, he should be better but you never know. Its his make or break season, hope he will be a revelation under LVG.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
From the older Welbeck thread just so I'm posting at the correct thread:

Welbeck looked like his usual self in that pre-season friendly and not what he was under Moyes. Same goes for pretty much everyone else in the team, but Welbeck in particular was very effective with the extra freedom he was afforded.

His movement dragged the Galaxy defenders around and gave Mata and Rooney quite a bit of space. Also, he and Mata linked very well, with Welbeck dragging away defenders and then running into space. Him playing up front in a more free role can be beneficial to the team. Ultimately, though, he's battling against Rooney, van Persie, and Chicharito, all of whom aren't slackers. He'll really have to impress van Gaal to become a regular in the first team (either that or van Gaal will drop one of the older players to provide more match time to Welbeck akin to what he did with Muller vs. Klose and Toni).

Litch

You get consistency from playing regular and not once ever 5-6 games. I think at some point like Jones and Smalling, we are gonna have to bite the bullet and play them. Only way we are ever gonna tell whether they are utd quality....

Slartibartfast

Still waiting for the Welbeck explosion - I want him to, christ I'd even help him with the jetpack backpack - but so far I have seen nothing but striking mediocrity & the odd good game. In 50 yearsI dont recall a striker with so many first team chances for such a poor return, (he has surpassed Birtles now) but hopefully Van Gaal can polish his attributes - or ditch him - as of now he is neither one thing nor the other

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Still waiting for the Welbeck explosion - I want him to, christ I'd even help him with the jetpack backpack - but so far I have seen nothing but striking mediocrity & the odd good game. In 50 yearsI dont recall a striker with so many first team chances for such a poor return, (he has surpassed Birtles now) but hopefully Van Gaal can polish his attributes - or ditch him - as of now he is neither one thing nor the other
Mods must have promoted you by picking your name out a hat. Striking mediocrity? If that was the case, he would have been sold by now.

Back to a making a sensible point, competition for a spot in the striking role will be tough next season. I do not expect Welbeck to be giving an opportunity unless one of Van Persie or Rooney are out of form or injuried. Even though Welbeck will make our attack more balanced, his status as a player is not at the level of rvp or Rooney.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

Mods must have promoted you by picking your name out a hat. Striking mediocrity? If that was the case, he would have been sold by now.

Back to a making a sensibel point, competition for a spot in thw striking role will be tough next season. I do not expect Welbeck to be giving an opportunity unless one of Van Persie or Rooney are out of form or injuried. Even though Welbeck will make our attack more balanced, his status as a player is not at the level of rvp or Rooney.
Explain to me in detail please how he is one of the highest performing strikers in the premier league & I will post you my lucky hat

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Explain to me in detail please how he is one of the highest performing strikers in the premier league & I will post you my lucky hat
Not willing to waste my time, but I will just post a brief summary. His first season(2011/2012), he played well and formed a great partnership with Rooney which lead to United highest goal scoring tally in the past 8 years. Second season, he was a winger. Third season, he played under Moyes and when he was giving the opportunity in the striking role, he exceeded expectation and helped Moyes win(or get nominated) for the manager of the month. Basicially, beside the 2011/2012 season, he has not giving the consistentency needed in his preferred role to form an accurate judgement on output as a striker. When he has played as a striker, he has shown great potential for club and country.

Nevertheless, I expect as a winger, Welbeck should also be productive aswell. Has he ability to be a delantaro, but former managers has used him as a defensive winger rather than one that is more influential in the attacking third, ala a false winger.

JSMHE

You get consistency from playing regular and not once ever 5-6 games. I think at some point like Jones and Smalling, we are gonna have to bite the bullet and play them. Only way we are ever gonna tell whether they are utd quality....
Didn't Welbeck play consistent enough in December and January last season? And all of sudden Moyes decided to bench him one of our consistent and best player in those 2 months for Rooney and RVP. Well, let's see if LVG can do the same thing like Sir Alex bench Rooney for Welbeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.