Gaming Dark Souls III

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Haven't found the swamp too bad really. Probably because I'm not too arsed about being poisoned as it seems to do very, very little damage so I just heal if I need to. Don't even bother with wasting the moss clumps. Basically just ran around and ignored the slugs on the ground and explored for treasures and the fires. Only have 2 of the 3 so far though.
The slugs and poison wasn't the issue, it was getting got in the deep parts and trying to run from those dog/monkey things + the huge feckers that walk around shooting skulls out of their cross thing. Funnily enough I only noticed the big guys after I prayed at the alter of the wolf, there's a bonfire in the big castle/tower north east of where you come in. Plus the broken bridge where you meet Yoel.

Woodzy

Urgh, one of the crappy undead enemies just roided up and went all Bloodborne on me. Just as I was thinking it had been easy up to that point.

Siorac

Now that we won... I also made some progress.

Crystal Sage is down. It was a very aggravating fight with all the homing magic but got the formula down at the end and it became easy. Helped that I dumped a few points in Strength, using the mysterious sorcerer who draws out my true strength. It ruined my pretty face and it will probably have horrible consequences later but I'm all about that instant gratification.

Siorac

I still don't like Endurance and Vitality being separate, btw. I feel like I have to put points in everything. All my stats are still below 20, except Strength :( Will probably start putting more points into Endurance to help with blocking.

Eriku

One of the things I love the most about these games is slapping down my white soap stone sign and helping people out... A bit fecked up that there are people out there who need two more set of hands to take down the boss on the High Wall, tho'

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Damn that horde boss(es) in the Cathedral. :lol: Was doing so well until I got cursed. Deacons of The Deep I believe they're called. Feck them, time to try and get that other giant to move and lock him on the otherside of the room and see what he's protecting

Eriku

Parcel it out? Or get your ass whooped? :p I'm not actually that far in tbf.
I could be romping around Undead Settlement, but I chose to retrace my steps and make sure I went over The High Wall thoroughly. I also fancy killing that blue-eyed bastard... he ought to have a bomb-ass drop for me :drool:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I could be romping around Undead Settlement, but I chose to retrace my steps and make sure I went over The High Wall thoroughly. I also fancy killing that blue-eyed bastard... he ought to have a bomb-ass drop for me :drool:
Ohhhh! I forgot about him, I must revisit him soon. :devil: And that thing in the courtyard before that area. It must die also. :angel:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Damn that horde boss(es) in the Cathedral. :lol: Was doing so well until I got cursed. Deacons of The Deep I believe they're called. Feck them, time to try and get that other giant to move and lock him on the otherside of the room and see what he's protecting
For the giants just go up to his leg and stand right there... All they do is try and stomp but they only ever use the one foot it feels like so if you're next to the other foot you can kill them really easily.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
What thing? :o
Obese knight that circles the courtyard.

For the giants just go up to his leg and stand right there... All they do is try and stomp but they only ever use the one foot it feels like so if you're next to the other foot you can kill them really easily.
Ended up luring them to the traps.

Anyone here watch Game of Thrones? Found what is basically a rip off of the Nights Watch armour.

Pretty sexy.

Siorac

One of the things I love the most about these games is slapping down my white soap stone sign and helping people out... A bit fecked up that there are people out there who need two more set of hands to take down the boss on the High Wall, tho'
I'd love to be summoned to help out struggling people but there are roughly two billion summon signs near every fog gate. Maybe I'll have a better chance later.

paulscholes18

Got unrecognised disc come up, before that it was maybe damaged or dirty so please remove disc

FFS :mad:

Siorac

Got unrecognised disc come up, before that it was maybe damaged or dirty so please remove disc

FFS :mad:
Can't you just download a digital version? I assume you're on a console but surely there are options to go without the physical disk?

Siorac

I'm very close to just ragequitting for good.

Who the feck thought the Abyss Watchers fight was a good idea? Who looked at it and thought: hmmm, neat concept. Seriously, that person should be fired from his job, then tied to a rocket and shot out to space.

The first phase is bad enough. fecking relentless knights; only saving grace is that the glowy eyes are fighting the others, too, not just us. But that second phase. Dear god. That is impossible. Seriously. You quite simply cannot roll out of the way, it WILL do damage even if you keep rolling. And forget about trying to land a hit because then you're immediately skewered. He's waaaay faster, stronger, has seemingly infinite stamina and the flames seem to damage you if you're roughly in the same suburb as that fecker.

To be honest, it's putting me off the game a bit. Way too many relentless enemies with infinite stamina who make mincemeat out of your shield.

I'm going to explore some other area now but this is bullshit.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

Who the feck thought the Abyss Watchers fight was a good idea? Who looked at it and thought: hmmm, neat concept. Seriously, that person should be fired from his job, then tied to a rocket and shot out to space.

The first phase is bad enough. fecking relentless knights; only saving grace is that the glowy eyes are fighting the others, too, not just us. But that second phase. Dear god. That is impossible. Seriously. You quite simply cannot roll out of the way, it WILL do damage even if you keep rolling. And forget about trying to land a hit because then you're immediately skewered. He's waaaay faster, stronger, has seemingly infinite stamina and the flames seem to damage you if you're roughly in the same suburb as that fecker.

To be honest, it's putting me off the game a bit. Way too many relentless enemies with infinite stamina who make mincemeat out of your shield.

I fecking loved that boss fight. Super intense and a cool concept.

izzydiggler

I was about to reply saying how I beat him first time then that 2nd phase happened and I was killed instantly...:lol:

Didn't go back and headed for Cathedral of the Deep.

Eriku

Haha, holy fecking shit. That red-eyed dude outside the Cathedral or whatever opposite where you fight Vordt has kicked my arse every time. I decided to have another go, neverminded my shield and went for the weapons arts stance with my katana and laid it all on the line to parry. It takes more than two critical hits to kill the bastard and he's always made short work of me, but I fecking took him down without taking a single hit.

I might just have got gud :drool:

(Yeah, I know, prolly not, but lemme enjoy this for a second, willya?!)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
There's a challenge on the Steam forums - Git gud or get ripped - If you die, do ten press ups.

I've a feeling there'd be a lot of buff Caf members were we to try it :lol:

Eriku

There's a challenge on the Steam forums - Git gud or get ripped - If you die, do ten press ups.

I've a feeling there'd be a lot of buff Caf members were we to try it :lol:
I wouldn't get past the first boss on my first session if I went for that challenge :lol:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Try that in Irithyll of Boreal Valley and you would literally die. LITERALLY!! :mad:

Speaking of, a screenshot of that majestic place.

Siorac

I was about to reply saying how I beat him first time then that 2nd phase happened and I was killed instantly...:lol:

Didn't go back and headed for Cathedral of the Deep.
:lol: I had the exact same experience. Beat the first phase on the first try then got rekt almost immediately. Eventually I just summoned someone who happened to be very good with an axe and we beat it.

I find that often the best idea is to simply stack Endurance and go to town super aggressively with fast attacks, to keep staggering your opponent. Makes it a bit button mashy, not the usual strategic Souls combat.

Cathedral of the Deep is a bit annoying but I'm making progress.

JackXX

Pretty sure I've faced the final boss and got torn to pieces which turned out to be a bit of luck as I've found two or three locations that I'd have totally missed. I have loved the amount of different cool weapons I can't really decide which one I like the most. How do people find the weapon arts? I use them from time to time but tend to not use them. They are really cool I just find they get me into trouble at times so I end up ignoring it.

Try that in Irithyll of Boreal Valley and you would literally die. LITERALLY!! :mad:

Speaking of, a screenshot of that majestic place.

Think this is my favourite location in the game. It's beautiful and I think it has some of the toughest enemies.

izzydiggler

:lol: I had the exact same experience. Beat the first phase on the first try then got rekt almost immediately. Eventually I just summoned someone who happened to be very good with an axe and we beat it.

I find that often the best idea is to simply stack Endurance and go to town super aggressively with fast attacks, to keep staggering your opponent. Makes it a bit button mashy, not the usual strategic Souls combat.

Cathedral of the Deep is a bit annoying but I'm making progress.
I've not summoned anyone yet - trying to avoid the shame :D. Got to the Cathedral boss but turned it off before I gave them a go, so have a date with multiple bosses tonight!

Played the others with a strength/stamina melee build with a Claymore, so sticking with it.

Siorac

I've not summoned anyone yet - trying to avoid the shame :D. Got to the Cathedral boss but turned it off before I gave them a go, so have a date with multiple bosses tonight!

Played the others with a strength/stamina melee build with a Claymore, so sticking with it.
I'm also running with the Claymore now as this seems to do the most damage but there's little difference between the effectiveness of the melee weapons I tried. I haven't found weapons with good (better than C) scaling yet.

izzydiggler

I'm also running with the Claymore now as this seems to do the most damage but there's little difference between the effectiveness of the melee weapons I tried. I haven't found weapons with good (better than C) scaling yet.
I think the scaling increases with upgrading the weapon and can only get it to +3 at this point of the game, so it's obviously not as good as can be. I guess it's more about using a weapon that you're comfortable with the moveset and then committing to upgrade it. I wish there were more materials to upgrade weapons fully - I end up just taking the safe option, rather than some experimentation.

Siorac

I think the scaling increases with upgrading the weapon and can only get it to +3 at this point of the game, so it's obviously not as good as can be. I guess it's more about using a weapon that you're comfortable with the moveset and then committing to upgrade it. I wish there were more materials to upgrade weapons fully - I end up just taking the safe option, rather than some experimentation.
Yeah, that's what I thought but I was hoping some weapons would be decently scaling from the start, so that they're worth upgrading.

In my experience there's plenty of titanite shards so you can experiment with normal weapons up until +3. Cannot comment about large titanite shards, not at that stage yet. Twinkling titanite is in short supply but that's nothing new.

kps88

Can anyone tell me what you get for killing those giants in Cathedral of the Deep? Just wondering if it's worth it.

Woodzy

3 hours in and i've only just killed Vordt (and also eventually that red eyed knight cnut!)

I've discovered i'm very, very shit at this series. It's also so much better than Dark Souls 2 already. High Wall of Lothric alone is designed so well. You feel lost so easily - a similar feeling I had playing Bloodborne.

bosnian_red

Can anyone tell me what you get for killing those giants in Cathedral of the Deep? Just wondering if it's worth it.
There's cool armor behind one of them, actually killing them I'm not sure if they drop anything. They aren't hard anyways, just stand next to his foot the whole time and swipe away, he only stomps with one foot and can't get you if you are between his feet next to his other foot

bosnian_red

Catacombs and swamp levels are by far my least favourite in every single souls game... No different here. Feck the catacombs

kps88

There's cool armor behind one of them, actually killing them I'm not sure if they drop anything. They aren't hard anyways, just stand next to his foot the whole time and swipe away, he only stomps with one foot and can't get you if you are between his feet next to his other foot
Yeah I killed them both. They drop titanite shards if I remember correctly.

Woodzy

Just beat the big great tree of cuntyness of whatever it was called. Lots of bonfires in the Undead Settlement!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Aldrich is down. Shockingly easy. I say this as the first time I fought him he basically one shotted me.

Also, nice to be back in Anor Londo. Prepare for tears if you go back to a certain blacksmith that once resided there.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I just started this today. Got fecked up by the first boss but got him down eventually, then just been fiddling about on the High Wall of Lothric. Don't really understand this ember thing though, coming off the back of DS1. Are they like this games Humanity?