Gaming Dark Souls III

kps88

I just started this today. Got fecked up by the first boss but got him down eventually, then just been fiddling about on the High Wall of Lothric. Don't really understand this ember thing though, coming off the back of DS1. Are they like this games Humanity?
Yes.

Siorac

Wow. Just wow.

feck Pontiff Sullyvahn. Am I supposed to parry him? Am I supposed to summon? He fecks me up usually 30 seconds into the fight because it's impossible to dodge forever and he's relentless. Another one of those enemies who just never runs out of stamina or gives you some breathing space.

Made me think of Gwyn but I really don't want to start experimenting with parrying...

Siorac

Please give me Ornstein and Smough back. I'd rather fight them.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Got through the Undead Settlement to the Road of Sacrifice just now. Had one go at the massive tree boss though and, despite being shameless and having two phantoms with me, we fecked it up. Mainly because i had no idea how to damage it and the two phantoms were fecking useless and didn't seem to either. I know the deal now though, so just trying to decide if i should go back and fight him and try and beat him or just carry on a bit and come back later.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Wow. Just wow.

feck Pontiff Sullyvahn. Am I supposed to parry him? Am I supposed to summon? He fecks me up usually 30 seconds into the fight because it's impossible to dodge forever and he's relentless. Another one of those enemies who just never runs out of stamina or gives you some breathing space.

Made me think of Gwyn but I really don't want to start experimenting with parrying...

Toughest boss in the game so far for me. After 15 attempts I summoned anri of astora to help me. Just wait until u see his second form. Oh boy.

Woodzy

Pretty simple this one - I just waded in 2 handed every time it appeared. If you don't let it start any magic attacks, it goes down quite quickly.
I always get it down half way with ease, and the clone appear and my fragile little brain just can't cope with all the blue and purple shit flying at me.

Siorac

I always get it down half way with ease, and the clone appear and my fragile little brain just can't cope with all the blue and purple shit flying at me.
Clones disappear in one hit so just keep rolling, get them out of the way and you'll do it.

Siorac

Toughest boss in the game so far for me. After 15 attempts I summoned anri of astora to help me. Just wait until u see his second form. Oh boy.
I eventually beat him with two sunbros after helping out lots of people. I have a shitload of Embers now.

Also, he quite often thrashed parties of three even. All my respect to those who solo him.

Eriku

I've been taking my sweet ass time... partially because that's how new Soulsborne games always play out for me. In the beginning it's daunting and scary, and then when I get into my stride I play for longer and longer at a time. Only just made my way to that big sodding tree that can't make up its mind whether it hates me or its minions the most.

The Hungry Surgeon

I had been progressing through the game and the bosses with relative ease for the most part, until...

Dragonslayer Armour. Seriously, feck that guy. Beat him eventually, but so many deaths...

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I've been taking my sweet ass time... partially because that's how new Soulsborne games always play out for me. In the beginning it's daunting and scary, and then when I get into my stride I play for longer and longer at a time. Only just made my way to that big sodding tree that can't make up its mind whether it hates me or its minions the most.
That's about where I am too. Wasn't sure what I was meant to be doing the first time, but think I get it now :lol:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Pretty much stopped playing for a little bit. I know from looking at the Steam achievements unlocked that I'm right near the end of the game (29 hours played), so I'm just gonna relax a bit and explore/grind before NG+.

Siorac

Aldrich is down. Shockingly easy. I say this as the first time I fought him he basically one shotted me.

Also, nice to be back in Anor Londo. Prepare for tears if you go back to a certain blacksmith that once resided there.
You should be banned for this post. How is Aldrich shockingly easy? That second phase is basically a pisstake. Keeps spamming that retarded arrow move and then shoots about eighty consecutive purple beams that take off 80% health. Each.

I'm guessing you have a weapon that does 2500 damage per hit or something.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
You should be banned for this post. How is Aldrich shockingly easy? That second phase is basically a pisstake. Keeps spamming that retarded arrow move and then shoots about eighty consecutive purple beams that take off 80% health. Each.

Think my weapon did 250 per hit and I did it on attempt #3. It's an easy boss.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
You should just get good.

That arrow thing & large beams are SO easy to just strafe... What build are you playing?!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It's not even dodging. Just go left & right :D No need to even roll.

Siorac

You should just get good.

That arrow thing & large beams are SO easy to just strafe... What build are you playing?!
You're kidding me, right? Even at full sprint you can barely get away and I can't keep that up indefinitely. Once the arrows are over, one purple beam definitely hits me, it's unavoidable.

Melee build, Claymore +6, 30 Endurance, 22 Strength, 26 Dexterity (with ring, so 23 otherwise). Grass Crest Shield and Cloranthy Ring are both equipped for stamina regen. I can do it just fine until the arrows start popping in the second phase. Then it's game over. My only hope is good RNG - like on my best try when he only started shooting arrows once down to 15%. But I can't see how I can survive after that, it's either death or a healing cycle of hell.

Sort of fitting that it's in Ornstein and Smough's room. Though that fight was much, much easier.

Siorac

OK, I have absolutely no idea how to do this at this point. I probably need something that packs a bit more punch so that I can do actual damage during those limited seconds when I'm not dodging or chugging Estus (so much unavoidable damage in this fight, insane :().

One-handed R1s: Claymore +6 does 135, Red Fire Halberd +5 does 118 while the Irithyll Straight Sword +3 does 105 per hit. The latter works out for the best DPS, probably, but there are such limited attack windows that it's simply not enough. None of my other weapons seem any better suited for the task, though. I don't have the strength for the really big weapons.

I don't want to summon for this boss fight as well and now I'm really considering quitting. If that's the norm from now on, that I cannot beat any boss alone then I see no point in continuing.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I used a Claymore+9 for that fight, I believe...

You can farm chunks from the 3 dudes outside.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Haven't played much the last few days because of exams but I found the black knight sword which was my go to weapon in Dark Souls 1 :)
Up until now I've been using long sword and then the irithyll straight sword (think it's called that, the frost one). Hopefully the black knight sword is good like it was in that one as I don't have much of a stand out weapon that I really like using so far in this one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
OK, I have absolutely no idea how to do this at this point. I probably need something that packs a bit more punch so that I can do actual damage during those limited seconds when I'm not dodging or chugging Estus (so much unavoidable damage in this fight, insane :().

One-handed R1s: Claymore +6 does 135, Red Fire Halberd +5 does 118 while the Irithyll Straight Sword +3 does 105 per hit. The latter works out for the best DPS, probably, but there are such limited attack windows that it's simply not enough. None of my other weapons seem any better suited for the task, though. I don't have the strength for the really big weapons.

I don't want to summon for this boss fight as well and now I'm really considering quitting. If that's the norm from now on, that I cannot beat any boss alone then I see no point in continuing.
There's nothing wrong with summoning someone now and then... Weird you would quit just because one fight you can't beat alone without even trying summoning. You can try helping others out with your summon sign, get the hang of the boss like that then try alone again

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

Run in close, smash, bang, wallop, run away when he does his AoE attack, if you can't avoid the arrows, equip a shield that has high magic defence and they do a pittance amount of damage, rinse repeat.

Yhorm the Giant, dissappointed that the fight is basically a gimmick. No challenge whatsoever once you figure out what you're supposed to do. On the other hand, The Dancer of Boreal Valley straight afterwards, I'm doing like 65 damage to him with my most powerful weapon. :(

Siorac

Run in close, smash, bang, wallop, run away when he does his AoE attack, if you can't avoid the arrows, equip a shield that has high magic defence and they do a pittance amount of damage, rinse repeat.

Yhorm the Giant, dissappointed that the fight is basically a gimmick. No challenge whatsoever once you figure out what you're supposed to do. On the other hand, The Dancer of Boreal Valley straight afterwards, I'm doing like 65 damage to him with my most powerful weapon. :(
You can't shield the arrows but thanks.
There's nothing wrong with summoning someone now and then... Weird you would quit just because one fight you can't beat alone without even trying summoning. You can try helping others out with your summon sign, get the hang of the boss like that then try alone again
I summoned for two other bosses as well. In the first Dark Souls I never had to summon for anything. Oh wait, no, for the first time I fought the Gargoyles with Solaire but that was it. Eventually I want to beat at least one Lord of Cinder without summons.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
You can't shield the arrows but thanks.

I summoned for two other bosses as well. In the first Dark Souls I never had to summon for anything. Oh wait, no, for the first time I fought the Gargoyles with Solaire but that was it. Eventually I want to beat at least one Lord of Cinder without summons.
I could. :confused: Walking backwards, shield up, and I'd lose a sliver of health.

Siorac

I could. :confused: Walking backwards, shield up, and I'd lose a sliver of health.
Nope, that's death. Not to mention you immediately lose lock-on when he does the arrow. For some reason.

But I killed him. Died to his final teleporting explosion but thankfully he also died and I got the souls. Thank feck it's over.

kps88

I didn't know about the gimmick and was struggling to do proper damage. I then summoned someone and he started doing 8k damage per hit. I was confused as hell until I found the item.

Last edited:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The Dancer of Boreal Valley. So close to just giving in and summoning help. After umpteen attempts, I got lucky in a way, I somehow knocked him down, which allowed me to perform a critical hit and I took a huge chunk off of it's health and then panic slashed my way to victory.

Felt good man.

Siorac

Dogs are a fecking pain in the hole. Every fecking Souls game it's the same.
I never played Bloodborne, only seen videos but it looks like the dogs are exactly the same as there. Sort of disappointing. Actually, the 'regular' enemies of the Undead Settlement also gave off a Bloodborne vibe to me.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Left the game installing ready to play when I get home. Can't wait for the frustration to begin.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Reading all this and seeing the awesome pics makes me craving for that game.

However, I decided to postpone it to Fall/Winter as

1) I have been promoted in work starting from 1 May meaning I might be quite busy the next months
2) Souls games are best played when the days are shorter, colder and darker
3) I still have Fallout 4 here unplayed

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Just finished what I assume is a very late game area...

Anor Londo. It was actually kind of sad seeing it a ruin. The Pristine palace from DSI now a dark, dank mess with undead pyromancers, blobs and a hideous spider in the main hall.

And the Giant blacksmith "Strong I am, forge I can." :(

Woodzy

Just killed the Crystal Sage while dying to one of the clones at the same time :lol:

Really expected the game to take it from me but it looks like I got away with it.