Gaming Dark Souls III

Siorac

The questlines are seriously convoluted. Played blind on my first playthrough and fecked almost of them up but I'm in NG+ now so have no qualms on using a guide for them.
NPC quests in Souls games are always annoyingly obscure. Show me someone who says they figured out Siegmeyer's questline in the first game without a guide and I'll show you a filthy disgusting liar.

I've just beaten the final boss.

Holy shit. My best try was the first one, getting him down to 50% of his first health bar... the magic phase or the lance phase fecked me up every time after that. I summoned Yulia of Londor at last, and we got him on the first try but that second phase was still intense as feck. I don't think I could ever solo this boss :(

On the bright side, I became the Lord of Hollows. Bow to me.

The Hungry Surgeon

I've been trying to get more into the PvP the last few days so I've been doing some invasions, have to say this seems to be the toughest Souls game to date for invaders.

It is common to invade a host with multiple summons helping them only to have two types of blue phantoms invade to help the host out too!

Certainly is challenging.

Eriku

Finally found my way to the Deacons, only had time for the first attempt with two estus on hand before I had to go to work ;(

Siorac

Finally found my way to the Deacons, only had time for the first attempt with two estus on hand before I had to go to work ;(
If you have the Ring of the Evil Eye or basically anything that recovers health from kills or consecutive hits you barely even need Estus in that fight. With the Evil Eye ring, my Claymore healed me while I was smiting the heretics. Fitting.

Eriku

If you have the Ring of the Evil Eye or basically anything that recovers health from kills or consecutive hits you barely even need Estus in that fight. With the Evil Eye ring, my Claymore healed me while I was smiting the heretics. Fitting.
With or without the ring, I think I learned enough from the first fight that this should be a relatively smooth fight next go. Cheers for the tip, though :)

The Hungry Surgeon

I'm not going to beat the Nameless King on my own, am I? :(
He's manageable solo but it took quite a few deaths for me to fully learn his moveset in both phases, and even then I needed a bit of luck.

First phase with the dragon isn't too bad, stay under him and strike at the dragon's head when you can, dodge the king's sword attacks, and when he goes airborne roll away fast if it's that fire attack, if it's the lightning spear it's easy to dodge but watch out for the follow up flying attack. It's also possible to stun the dragon to get a critical hit in for big damage. I was using a heavy str weapon, but I don't know if he can be stunned by lighter weapons. Still, worth bearing in mind.

Second phase is a pain, takes time getting used to. It's all about learning his moves, when to dodge and when is the right moment to attack. The timing for dodging some of his attacks in this phase is very tricky and took a fair few attempts to perfect. He seemed to get more aggressive after he went below 50% health too. Good lightning resist is of course essential to help!

Hardest boss of DS3 for me, without doubt. Right up there with Artorias, Fume Knight, Ebrietas and whoever else for most difficult in the series!.

Eriku

After a couple of tries where I got ganked towards the end, I decided to go with HP recovery ring. Solid tip, easy fight thereafter :)

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He's manageable solo but it took quite a few deaths for me to fully learn his moveset in both phases, and even then I needed a bit of luck.

First phase with the dragon isn't too bad, stay under him and strike at the dragon's head when you can, dodge the king's sword attacks, and when he goes airborne roll away fast if it's that fire attack, if it's the lightning spear it's easy to dodge but watch out for the follow up flying attack. It's also possible to stun the dragon to get a critical hit in for big damage. I was using a heavy str weapon, but I don't know if he can be stunned by lighter weapons. Still, worth bearing in mind.

Second phase is a pain, takes time getting used to. It's all about learning his moves, when to dodge and when is the right moment to attack. The timing for dodging some of his attacks in this phase is very tricky and took a fair few attempts to perfect. He seemed to get more aggressive after he went below 50% health too. Good lightning resist is of course essential to help!

Hardest boss of DS3 for me, without doubt. Right up there with Artorias, Fume Knight, Ebrietas and whoever else for most difficult in the series!.
I got him down to a literal sliver of health during his second phase, A FECKING SLIVER AND HE KILLED ME!. :(:mad:

Siorac

I'm not going to beat the Nameless King on my own, am I? :(
I gave up trying to beat the camera in the first phase. Summoned bros, they did the majority of the work in the first phase and then I actually contributed heavily towards beating him down in the second phase.

Maxii

Paad
Haven't summoned for any bosses yet. Was really tempted for Dancer but eventually got it down. On Lothric and Lorian now, have I got much left to play?

Shark

@NotShark
Bloodborne is probably one of the best games I've ever played but was the first of that kind I've played but I needed to summon someone for the majority of bosses. Should I be buying this?

Last edited:

Siorac

Haven't summoned for any bosses yet. Was really tempted for Dancer but eventually got it down. On Lothric and Lorian now, have I got much left to play?
Not sure how many of the optional areas/bosses you beat.

As for mandatory sections: you're one boss away from beating the game.

I plan to try and solo every boss in NG+. I'm confident about the Abyss Watchers, because I just got pissed at that instead of remaining patient but I can't really see how can I beat Sulyvahn or the Nameless King alone. I don't think I'm good enough for either. The final boss... maybe.

Eriku

Bloodborne is probably one of the best games I've ever played but was the first of that kind I've played but I needed to summon someone for the majority of bosses. Should I be buying this?
If BB ranks that highly for you, definitely get DS3. If you like it, backtrack to DS1 as well. Bosses are slightly less chaotic than in BB for the most part, so you may find them easier, and if not summoning is also an option.

Anyway, I'm faffing 'round the Catacombs now, got smashed by Wollnir... Then I had to go to work :( at least I managed to smash that fire demon before I had to go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The servers have been shite the last couple of days for me. Also how the feck am I supposed to level up my darkmoon covenant when nobody uses way of the blue so I never get summoned?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They've patched the Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon Blades to make it easier to be summoned but not enough people are in the TWOB for it to be viable.

They should bring back blue eye orbs. Use one and you invade the world of a sinner.

Skywarden

I have had massive FPS drops on PC the past days in certain areas. Notably, it started after the last patch. Anyone else experiencing FPS drops?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I have had massive FPS drops on PC the past days in certain areas. Notably, it started after the last patch. Anyone else experiencing FPS drops?
Everytime it auto-saves I get a horrible stutter for a second or two. When it happens in combat it's fecking annoying. As for fps drops in general, everything has been smooth sailing thus far.

bosnian_red

They've patched the Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon Blades to make it easier to be summoned but not enough people are in the TWOB for it to be viable.

They should bring back blue eye orbs. Use one and you invade the world of a sinner.
Yep. There is no incentive to go way of the blue so its tough to get summoned. No rank rewards at all. All i want is rank 1 for darkmoon anyway so hopefully i can get my 6 more that i need before starting a new game. Also they should increase the rewards for everything, like add a 3rd and 4th rank and so on after a certain amount of items handed in. No reason to stay after reaching rank 2.

Siorac

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself right now. Those of you who are actually good at this game, unlike me, please don't deflate my enthusiasm. I started New Game+ and... let's spoiler it just to be safe.

I beat Vordt and then I decided to turn around and try to do the Dancer (kill the Emma woman in the cathedral and then there she is in all her glory). Did it on the first try; got me like 6 levels' worth of souls right there. Actually, yet to die on New Game+ from enemies. Jumps, however... well those keep killing me.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
After 15 embers or so, I finally beat the Nameless King! So many idiots would get killed way too early and I'd be left to fend on my own. Although in fairness, he has destroyed three of us multiple times before. Decided to give one more crack, summoned one guy, waited for another but to no avail so said feck it, we try with two of us, even though the ten times before that he'd rek three of us.

We did it. A part of me usually feels cheap after summoning, I did it too often in Bloodborne (that was mainly down to being sick of farming blood vials), loads of times in DS II, rarely in DS I, same for DS III, I only summoned for the Sulyvhan fight prior to this one.

But this one, this one felt like a win. Been stuck in that location for a week now, not anymore! :devil:

Eriku

Good lord, Irish... Sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and summon for that one :|

I'm at Pontiff now... Irithyll's been pretty smooth up till now, but this one's going to take some doing.

What level are people at, btw? I'm level 56, thanks to jolly co-oping and such.

edit: AAAWWW YISS! Got that fecker in something like 5 tries, not bad :)

Last edited:

Siorac

Good lord, Irish... Sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and summon for that one :|

I'm at Pontiff now... Irithyll's been pretty smooth up till now, but this one's going to take some doing.

Nice fight. His combos are fecking ridiculous... It actually made me feel tense just watching it.

I've finished New Game+... it was astonishingly easy, having started at around SL90. No summons this time around.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

It's an optional/secret area/boss. If you do it on your own, then fecking kudos to you.

Eriku

It's an optional/secret area/boss. If you do it on your own, then fecking kudos to you.
If I even find the bleedin' boss.

Smashed my way past a couple more bosses, now on the Dancer... On my first try I had her down to a small sliver, but was all out of estus and damn near dead, couldn't get the last one in. Turns out that one was a fortunate go, and I've not gotten that close since. Will leave it till tomorrow.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Just need one more proof of concord from farming those silver knights in anor londo so I can level up my blades of the darkmoon covenant... Such a pain in the ass how broken the pvp part of that and blue sentinels is

Edit: Just got it, finally. Now I can go on and start ng+. Going to reallocate from strength build to a faith build.. possible sorcerer

Eriku

Aldrich is down. Shockingly easy. I say this as the first time I fought him he basically one shotted me.

Also, nice to be back in Anor Londo. Prepare for tears if you go back to a certain blacksmith that once resided there.
Having gone back to read stuff I knew nothing about before, I found this crazy comment and I have to side with Siorac: in what universe is Aldrich shockingly easy? That souped-up arrow attack in his second phase was damn near impossible to get away from.

Mind you, this is one of the things I love about these games, people struggle with different things. I'm sure there must even be a sincere account of Pinwheel being an unfair boss somewhere out there.

Bebe

Getting ridiculous stuttering in the area just before Vordt with the Lothric Knights. Swear this wasn't happening the other night when I played. I'm contemplating a Steam return and giving it a go on PS4 instead, though I'd really rather not.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Getting ridiculous stuttering in the area just before Vordt with the Lothric Knights. Swear this wasn't happening the other night when I played. I'm contemplating a Steam return and giving it a go on PS4 instead, though I'd really rather not.
The auto save micro stutter is very annoying. Thankfully I haven't got it too bad.

Siorac

Having gone back to read stuff I knew nothing about before, I found this crazy comment and I have to side with Siorac: in what universe is Aldrich shockingly easy? That souped-up arrow attack in his second phase was damn near impossible to get away from.

Mind you, this is one of the things I love about these games, people struggle with different things. I'm sure there must even be a sincere account of Pinwheel being an unfair boss somewhere out there.
If you're lucky and fast (= high endurance so lots of stamina) and position yourself in the middle of the room every time he disappears, you can run in quickly enough so he doesn't do the arrow attack. That way he's not so bad. But if you mess it up... Gwyn have mercy on your soul. On NG+ I downed him first try after struggling for hours on NG.

Siorac

If I even find the bleedin' boss.

Smashed my way past a couple more bosses, now on the Dancer... On my first try I had her down to a small sliver, but was all out of estus and damn near dead, couldn't get the last one in. Turns out that one was a fortunate go, and I've not gotten that close since. Will leave it till tomorrow.
If you find the Nameless King without consulting a guide or at least remembering player messages, you're a God of Dark Souls.

Eriku

If you're lucky and fast (= high endurance so lots of stamina) and position yourself in the middle of the room every time he disappears, you can run in quickly enough so he doesn't do the arrow attack. That way he's not so bad. But if you mess it up... Gwyn have mercy on your soul. On NG+ I downed him first try after struggling for hours on NG.
I needed something like an hour to get him down, changed my gear to be more absorbant of magics, and made sure to rush and smack him after he pops up again, and when he does the arrow thing I find the best thing is to jump around in wide circles.

If you find the Nameless King without consulting a guide or at least remembering player messages, you're a God of Dark Souls.
Just looked it up... no way I'd have got that :lol:

Eriku

Aaaaaand the Dancer is down! Woo!

She's a toughie. Here's my successful fight:

Here's one I wish were successful, because I managed the sickest sequence of dodges ever when she did her 2nd phase spinning :lol::

Siorac

Just to make everyone feel bad: a guy is doing an SL1 challenge run with no blockin, rolling, parrying or getting hit. Here's the Champion Gundyr fight: