Darren Fletcher's break from football

Crackers

greasy ginfers
It's a hard thing to hear, and I'd love Fletcher to prove him wrong. However I feel he's got it perfect in the way he's said it. Colitis is not an easy thing to deal with in normal life, let alone whilst being in a professional sporting career that demands a seriously strict lifestyle.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
It is awful what's happened to him. Especially just as he was getting to his peak, had won a lot of people over and was turning into one of our most important players.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
It is awful what's happened to him. Especially just as he was getting to his peak, had won a lot of people over and was turning into one of our most important players.
I'd love to see him back as a coach here sometime, I feel his energy and drive could still be put to good use, even if not on a pitch. To me his energy and drive is much more than just a physical attribute.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Paddy Crerand is a funny one at the best of times. He's probably not got any inside knowledge on this.

"I think, outside of boxing it's the fittest sport of the lot of them.
"So for not to be able to do that and keep yourself [in shape]. Even at my age, how stupid I am, I'm in the gym every day."
Neither Boxing nor Football is really a "fit" sport. Combine a Tennis player with a Cyclist for me.

Boxer's weight tend to balloon when not in-training, as does Rooneys if he doesn't play every week.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Comfortably? Could a boxer out-last a cyclist in an endurance running race? Perhaps that's an unfair comparison. Of course you get quick and nimble boxers, and obviously I'm not trying to claim endurance isn't key in boxing, but I'd guess that a cyclist would out-last a boxer even at peak fitness in an endurance event.

Obviously tennis players are becoming more like boxers "if you want to play better tennis, train like a boxer," and both would destroy each other at certain competitions, but boxers only "peak" a few times a year, and when we are talking about darren fletchers fitness I'd say Paddy Crerand is talking about the wrong sports. Boxers are often unfit.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
"He's not been heard of, he's not played anywhere, he's not done anything"

What is this jibberish supposed to mean?

He played a few months ago and it was announced he was having surgery?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Of the training I've tried I've never been as exhausted/knackered/whatever as after a boxing. Hope this helps.

Platato

Psst!
Comfortably? Could a boxer out-last a cyclist in an endurance running race? Perhaps that's an unfair comparison. Of course you get quick and nimble boxers, and obviously I'm not trying to claim endurance isn't key in boxing, but I'd guess that a cyclist would out-last a boxer even at peak fitness in an endurance event.

Obviously tennis players are becoming more like boxers "if you want to play better tennis, train like a boxer," and both would destroy each other at certain competitions, but boxers only "peak" a few times a year, and when we are talking about darren fletchers fitness I'd say Paddy Crerand is talking about the wrong sports. Boxers are often unfit.
You do realise how much energy you burn in a boxing match do you not? Besides, you're not using the same muscles. Boxers are often unfit? :rolleyes:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Stand facing a mirror and shadow box. See how you feel after 30 seconds. Boxers are the fittest athletes on the planet, their is no question of that.