Darren Fletcher's break from football

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's great to see Fletcher back, but I'd rather he's back because he's somewhere near his best. Not just, he's back training again so I'd better put him on the pitch despite him being miles behind other players, which was blatantly the case last night.

Why shouldn't he have to fight for his place like everyone else? If it's about getting his fitness back up, stick him in a few more reserve games or give him some time in the Newcastle game next week.
:rolleyes: Chill out man.

'Hope' is what drives every person, morse so after adversity. SAF deemed last night as the right moment to inject more 'hope' to further fuel Fletchers rehabilitation. I have absolutely no issues with SAF on that.

Given its a player of Fletchers repute, with the respect he has earned through his amazing development into a driving force of our midfield, Im glad SAF did not patronise him by playing him in a joke game at the early stages of the CC Cup. Bringing him on in a high profile pressure situation will quickly remind Fletcher that whilst he has made a huge amount of progress since his crisis point, he is still only half of the way there.

Last night should be considered as SAF rewarding Fletcher for all his hard work on the recovery road and a perhaps a required injection of motivation whilst at the same time providing him with 'the shock' of a reality check of the progress he still needs to make to get back to the level required of him. If you ask me, its yet another masterstroke of man management by the greatest manager of all time.

As someone who has been through what Fletcher is going through, the only thing that will get him back to proper weight and full strength is plenty of good quality food and intensive training and match practice. It needs to be at the cutting edge once in a while. And because its one of my favourite players in our club right now, Im more than happy if he is given a little bit of special treatment and every chance to to re-establish his career.

I'm always right

It's great to see Fletcher back, but I'd rather he's back because he's somewhere near his best. Not just, he's back training again so I'd better put him on the pitch despite him being miles behind other players, which was blatantly the case last night.

Why shouldn't he have to fight for his place like everyone else? If it's about getting his fitness back up, stick him in a few more reserve games or give him some time in the Newcastle game next week.
Agreed.

Don't understand why he's not being made to prove his fitness in the reserves to be honest. Great to see him back though, but I only want him back if he can get back to his very best.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
had a few dodgy touches and passes early on but you could see him grow in confidence as the minutes ticked by. There was one occasion where he spread the ball to the winger and burst a gut (sorry for the bad pun) trying to get into the box to get on the end of cross...unfortunately that cross didnt arrive

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Agreed.

Don't understand why he's not being made to prove his fitness in the reserves to be honest. Great to see him back though, but I only want him back if he can get back to his very best.
Hasn't he already played like 3 or 4 full reserve games as well as being in full training for ages. I suspect he's probably fit enough but he;s at the stage where he needs competetive football.

Stretch

:rolleyes: Chill out man.

'Hope' is what drives every person, morse so after adversity. SAF deemed last night as the right moment to inject more 'hope' to further fuel Fletchers rehabilitation. I have absolutely no issues with SAF on that.

Given its a player of Fletchers repute, with the respect he has earned through his amazing development into a driving force of our midfield, Im glad SAF did not patronise him by playing him in a joke game at the early stages of the CC Cup. Bringing him on in a high profile pressure situation will quickly remind Fletcher that whilst he has made a huge amount of progress since his crisis point, he is still only half of the way there.

Last night should be considered as SAF rewarding Fletcher for all his hard work on the recovery road and a perhaps a required injection of motivation whilst at the same time providing him with 'the shock' of a reality check of the progress he still needs to make to get back to the level required of him. If you ask me, its yet another masterstroke of man management by the greatest manager of all time.

As someone who has been through what Fletcher is going through, the only thing that will get him back to proper weight and full strength is plenty of good quality food and intensive training and match practice. It needs to be at the cutting edge once in a while. And because its one of my favourite players in our club right now, Im more than happy if he is given a little bit of special treatment and every chance to to re-establish his career.
Slow claps.

Master stroke IMO from SAF. Give Fletch 10 minutes in a high pressure situation to show him he's still needed and to remind him at the same time that there's still a long way to go before he's completely ready.

I had goosebumps when he came on, I was on my feet clapping in my lounge! Lump in throat and all that...yeah yeah, probably a bit OTT but Fletch is one of my favourite players and I thought he was 'done for'.

Welcome back to the 1st team Darren...long may it continue!

Will Absolute

But what if Fletch had cost us 2 points we couldn't afford to lose? Surely he could have been reintroduced in a less critical situation.

Having watched Fletch in reserve games, and seen how far from ready he was, I thought it was a bizarre decision by Fergie.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I just hope Fletch can get somewhere back to the way he was in 09/10. I remember that game again Milan in the last 16 in Europe that year...wow. So many times in 09/10 Rooney, Fletch, Valencia, Nani and Evra were the difference. I remember Portsmouth at home horrid first half and Fletch picks up the ball goes wide and crosses it in for Wazza to open the scoring. That wasn't the only time either. That Darren Fletcher was the United engine room. Really miss that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
But what if Fletch had cost us 2 points we couldn't afford to lose? Surely he could have been reintroduced in a less critical situation.

Having watched Fletch in reserve games, and seen how far from ready he was, I thought it was a bizarre decision by Fergie.
I totally agree. We have a league cup game against Newcastle coming up soon which would surely have been been a better match to reintegrate him into the team with?

Great to see him back though :)

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Great to see him back, and a bit of a surprise as well.

I thought he looked healthier than he did in that game vs Aberdeen in the summer. Looks to have put on some weight, which is great.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Everyone is still a better manager than Fergie I see...

Think I'll leave those decisions to the maestro!
It was a calculated risk which thankfully didn't bite us in the backside.

If we'd been 3-4 goals up when he came on, nobody would have batted an eyelid. But to bring him on when the match was in the balance was odd.

Ash_G

It was a tough game to bring him in for and he got caught out at the start but eventually he settled and his pressing helped us by slowing down their attacks. I'm sure fergie would ideally have liked an easier game for him but I doubt he would have brought him in unless he trusted him to do a job which he did ultimately.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Uhhh sure he was a little of the pace at the start but some of you are going on like he was rolled onto the pitch in a wheel chair or something :lol:

I personally thought scholes remaining on the field made us Much more at risk. He had an off day and his negatives were outweighing the positives; fletchers extra bit of energy to close down there counter attacks made a big difference

Aboutreika18

It's unlikely he'll ever be used in that lung bursting role he used to play in but he gives us plenty of defensive cover in this holding midfielder role he's been used in recently.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Hey we need a proper holding midfielder he is more than capable of it.

Fletch, Scholes and either Anderson or Clev for the weekend.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Screens the back 4 well. The Fletch we were used to is long gone but that's not to say he still can't play a valuable role.

Forevergiggs

Glad he got another 90 minutes under his belt. Started of really well then some of his passing went a bit south. Understandable though after having been out for so long.

Fingers crossed he would stay healthy and play a big part this season,. One of our few players who likes to press and pressure the opposition players. I am delighted that he is back.

Ash_G

Played well once again and impressively so given its only his second start, though fletch is usually quick to get back in to things. Made a few errors towards the end but that's expected. I wouldn't say his energy won't return but we don't need it at the moment.

prateik

A proper midfielder...
If he stays fit, he'll be starting games in the league soon.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's back in the Scottish squad too, isn't he? Things seem to be going very well for him at the moment. A huge, potentially title deciding bonus.

Baxter

Very good. Couple of slack moments, but on the whole he protected the back 4 well and kept us ticking in midfield. Solid performance.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He was very good today. Cluj weren't always too quick to close him down but he took full advantage of that. Really good to see him back these last two midweek games

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I thought he took too long on the ball in general. To be fair, that was probably the one main criticism of his game even before his break.

Shielded the back four decently, and helped us pass out from the defence. Wasn't put under much pressure really, but nice to see him get 90 minutes under his belt regardless.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is getting there and so good to see. Once he's fully fit, I hope to see him with his old bite. Its something we are missing

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
From UEFA on tonight's match:

93 of 109 passes completed (85%) also 17 of 19 long passes copleted. That's phenomnal.

KanieKaned

Thought he was a tad sloppy with passes early on. Eventually got in gear and done really well overall, I love the fact that he's actually organising people if hes not directly involved in the play. It's something we've lacked.

Onwards and upwards for the lad. Great stuff :devil:

Rossa

Thought he was a tad sloppy with passes early on. Eventually got in gear and done really well overall, I love the fact that he's actually organising people if hes not directly involved in the play. It's something we've lacked.

Onwards and upwards for the lad. Great stuff :devil:
Some think he was off the pace, some think he was great; some think his passing deteriorated towards the end and some think it was worse at the beginning of the match. I swear, we are not watching the same games :D

I thought he did well throughout the match with a couple of glitches here and there - his passing seems to have improved though.

beergod

I think he showed a bit of rust, but he looks to be improving physically. I thought everyone's passing was a bit slow due to the unfamiliar formation so I can't judge him on that too much.