Darren Fletcher's break from football

lysglimt

Scout
Was reassuring when he put in that crunching tackle after 5-6 minutes...

Hans Moleman

Was reassuring when he put in that crunching tackle after 5-6 minutes...
Why wouldn't he? He's not coming back from a broken leg or anything.

Unless you think he'd be worrying "oh God, I hope I don't go in for a crunching tackle and accidentally shit myself".

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Encouraging news:

Ferguson said last week: "Darren's put a lot of weight back on.

"He's back to his normal weight from two or three years ago. It's a case of wait and see."

He added: "But Darren comes into the 25-man squad quite easily, without me having to leave others out because we have a number of players who we don't need to register because of the time they've spent with us as an academy player.

"That's an advantage.

"He's training well every day and played really well the other night for the under-21s."

SCM

He is also with the Scotland squad again for the upcoming internationals so is getting in more training with them to help him along, so looking like good progress is being made in his recovery.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm not being funny, but if he's played a few 90 minutes and is training with the main squad... can't he be ready rather sooner than 2 months away?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'm not being funny, but if he's played a few 90 minutes and is training with the main squad... can't he be ready rather sooner than 2 months away?
Not sure. I mean he looked decent against Spurs in the reserves but it was obvious he was some way away from being totally 100% match fit. Probably be best to have him playing 2 or 3 more reserve games yet before easing him off the bench.

Adebesi

So a few months ago it seemed to be nailed on that we wouldnt be seeing Fletch playing first team football again. And now it seems like a fairly good bet he will be coming back? Hurrah. Our midfield tribulations are over.

Brophs

The One and Only
So a few months ago it seemed to be nailed on that we wouldnt be seeing Fletch playing first team football again. And now it seems like a fairly good bet he will be coming back? Hurrah. Our midfield tribulations are over.
I still suspect the odds are against him. But they're obviously going to give him every chance, which is the right thing to do.

prateik

Hoping he makes the squad for the league cup game...
Cant wait to see him back..

paulthesinger

Brilliant news if he is able to play for us and I'm sure part of the reason he hasn't signed a DM

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Brilliant news if he is able to play for us and I'm sure part of the reason he hasn't signed a DM
I doubt it. He'll be 29 in February and that's when he could realistically return to football at this level at earliest, and it's very doubtful if he could get back to his best after virtually two seasons with no football.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It's easy to forget his stunning goal in that dreaded 6-1 last season. I can't wait to see him back at Old Trafford.

Cold_Boy

I doubt it. yHe'll be 29 in Februar and that's when he could realistically return to football at this level at earliest, and it's very doubtful if he could get back to his best after virtually two seasons with no football.
:eek:

How time passes so soon!:annoyed:

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
It's easy to forget his stunning goal in that dreaded 6-1 last season. I can't wait to see him back at Old Trafford.
I'm not sure how many of us want to remember that day mate? I know I was pissed off beyond the point of me being able to describe. Let's just say I was also watching the game with my friends, all of whom despise United, whether it be a Liverpool, City, Chelsea or Arsenal fan. You can imagine how much shit I took that day, watching through the entire game and them not shutting up about it for about a week

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I doubt it. He'll be 29 in February and that's when he could realistically return to football at this level at earliest, and it's very doubtful if he could get back to his best after virtually two seasons with no football.
1 season.

SCM

According to the BBC sports feed Fletcher is back in the squad for the Wigan game but likely to be on the bench if selected i would think. Great news and a lot quicker than a lot of us were thinking for his return to the squad if it does happen.

Chabon

The reception if he gets on the pitch is going to be something very special, I imagine.

Drifter

American
Really can't believe that he could be on the bench.Never thought he would realistically make it back.Probably why SAF was not fussed about signing a midfielder.

Ash_G

Hope we proper batter Wigan, if we do and he's on the bench I'm sure he'll come on.

prateik

No it doest.
I'm not saying we should've.. that is a different matter... But with Fletch, Fergie has said he is doing well to contain his illness. Fletcher is a bonus..
Doubt Fergie would go into the season relying on him.

JakeC

According to the BBC sports feed Fletcher is back in the squad for the Wigan game but likely to be on the bench if selected i would think. Great news and a lot quicker than a lot of us were thinking for his return to the squad if it does happen.
:')

iAm20Legend

Great news. On the bench I expect, and a few minutes towards the end perhaps, but that'll do him a world of good.

Stretch

Easy now guys, he's just in the available matchday squad, but that doesn't mean he'll be on the bench. I would spazz if he was though. Easily one of my favourite players.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nice to see him back but he will be lucky to even make the bench at the moment and I certainly dont expect to see him on the pitch

Carling Cup is more likely

Andrew~

Fantastic news to hear. Fletcher bleeds red and it's great that he's finally managed to get his condition under control and resume is career.

JakeC

Nice to see him back but he will be lucky to even make the bench at the moment and I certainly dont expect to see him on the pitch

Carling Cup is more likely
We're 3 nil up, with 10 minutes left, why not?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
That's a bit of a shock. All happened very quickly. Delighted he's back to this point already. What a boost it would be to the squad!

Aint gota Kalou

The way Fergie put it in his press conference I don't think he expects him to get minutes on the pitch. He said he was in it to give him a bit of a boost in his recovery.

Amir

He said he was in it to give him a bit of a boost in his recovery.
Which is slightly wierd. If you're doing it to cheer him up, you're not supposed to be telling him this is the reason!

Still, it's another step forward. He's still got lots to do but if we can get him ready and sharp for the second half of the season, it could be big.

Shimo

Which is slightly wierd. If you're doing it to cheer him up, you're not supposed to be telling him this is the reason!

Still, it's another step forward. He's still got lots to do but if we can get him ready and sharp for the second half of the season, it could be big.
Was thinking the same thing about why say you are doing it to give him a boost but, then again also Fergie isn't going to waste a spot - even on the bench on someone that he doesn't feel can contribute if required. So, if he is included then Fergie feels Fletcher is in a position where he can play a role.