Darren Fletcher's break from football

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Fletch looks like he did at 18, he's about as skinny as you'd expect a footballer to be. But there was no sign of restriction of movement, while he never ran at full speed, with the slightly subdued pace of a testimonial, I'd say it was nothing but positive.

Hopefully it's just a matter of putting the muscle back on now, which he should be able to do over the course of this year. Put him on the program Tom Hardy used for Bronson and we're there.

Member 39557

I was chuffed to hear he played. Hopefully he is in control of the illness, which could be why Fergie hasn't signed a midfielder!

Cina

It is great to see him playing, but I just can't see him doing it regularly enough, not with that condition.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fletch looks like he did at 18, he's about as skinny as you'd expect a footballer to be. But there was no sign of restriction of movement, while he never ran at full speed, with the slightly subdued pace of a testimonial, I'd say it was nothing but positive.

Hopefully it's just a matter of putting the muscle back on now, which he should be able to do over the course of this year. Put him on the program Tom Hardy used for Bronson and we're there.
Were you expecting one?

His biggest problem with UC won't be mobility, it will be a lack of strength and conditioning. I'd expect him to be moving freely regardless.

Great to see him on the pitch again. Picked out some lovely passes too. Too often gets pigeon-holed as someone who just runs around like a headless chicken but he's a decent ball-playing midfielder on his day.

Looks like he's got a long road ahead of him though. Has lost a scary amount of weight. It's not as though he can afford to, he's always struggled to put muscle on. His best ever season came after a summer where he packed on several kg of beef, so it's obvious that he'll need to do the same again if he's going to get first team football.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Good luck Fletch. Getting back on the pitch is a Round 1 victory.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Were you expecting one?

His biggest problem with UC won't be mobility, it will be a lack of strength and conditioning. I'd expect him to be moving freely regardless.

Great to see him on the pitch again. Picked out some lovely passes too. Too often gets pigeon-holed as someone who just runs around like a headless chicken but he's a decent ball-playing midfielder on his day.

Looks like he's got a long road ahead of him though. Has lost a scary amount of weight. It's not as though he can afford to, he's always struggled to put muscle on. His best ever season came after a summer where he packed on several kg of beef, so it's obvious that he'll need to do the same again if he's going to get first team football.

Possibly, we've certainly seen players coming back from injury looking off the pace or showing hesitancy. Of course Fletcher has never been the fastest or the strongest, but he is often the one who puts forth the most effort, so my main concern is that he won't be able to go as long and as hard as he did before.

The exertions of a top class athlete has to be hard on the body, I've wondered if Fletcher's body wasn't reacting to the demands he was making and basically breaking down from being run too hard for too long. Though perhaps that has nothing to do with it at all.

United Fan 101

Holds a Ph.D. in Football
For those who watched the Aberdeen match, what was the intensity like and how did Fletcher adapt to it? Obviously being a friendly in pre-season it was a lot lower than what is the usual/required level, but did he exhibit positive signs of some form of match fitness?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The game was a bit of a muddle in the middle so it wasn't all that revealing, but Fletcher looked fine while never getting out of 2nd gear. Skinny as Januzaj, though.

Tooni

I'm happy that we signed Van Persie alright but what's more exciting is to see Fletcher back in training and having a good time. This is filling me with confidence. Chuffed to the bits.

Come back soon Darren Ferguson ! Stories like his, Scholes and Cleverley are the ones that sets us apart from the rest.

prateik

We'll have room in the squad to include him even if he isnt fully fit.
Fergie said he is putting on some weight and that is great.. and has been training.
If all goes well, he could be in the squad and in contention soon..

There'll be the risk of things getting bad again.. but hopefully he'll be fine.

Don't think we will be relying on him.. but he'll be a great bonus to have.

Hans Moleman

Apparently he's playing for the u21s today in the new u21 league (in which you're allowed 3 overage players, plus 1 overage keeper).

Smores

We only really need him for 5-6 games a season, if we could get him fit enough for just those games alone then it'd be a huge help

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Brillaint. How much work would you say he needs to compete on a cold Monday night against Stoke?
none. Darren Fletcher is one of those few players who can and will cut it on a cold, windy monday night at the Britannia.

SATA

Excellent, hope he continues to train well and play in a few more reserves matches. He can make his return like Scholes did last year and give us a boost :drool:

KanieKaned

He's from Scotland ffs a cold and windy night there is like a hot summers day for anyone else. It could be raining hail the size of golf balls coming down and hed still say its just a sun shower.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Realistically, how long are we looking at before he can feature in the first team?

I read that SAF said he's put some weight on, which is excellent news. How physically degraded does he currently look, compared with his 08/09 peak?

prateik

If there isnt a crisis and any need to rush him, then probably 6-8 weeks to get in better shape.. Pure guesswork.

Might get a run out in the league cup game at the end of Sept. should all go well.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
played 90 minutes, looked tidy.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

Does this mean we will all have to hate him/accuse him of being Fergies love child again for an indefinite amount of time??

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Possibly, we've certainly seen players coming back from injury looking off the pace or showing hesitancy. Of course Fletcher has never been the fastest or the strongest, but he is often the one who puts forth the most effort, so my main concern is that he won't be able to go as long and as hard as he did before.
One half of his effort and commitment would do for me atm. It might have a infectious effect on the team, his sheer enthusiasm and competitiveness, especially without the ball.

sometimes you need to earn the right in games, Fletcher is a good example to set the tone for the team. Personally delighted to see him complete 90mins. Let's hope he can show the speed of recovery from this game, to help suggest he could actually manage his condition and still do it for us at a high level.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Starting tonight for the u21s
played 90 minutes, looked tidy.
Great to hear that he started and completed the whole game. Hopefully he doesn't feel any effects over the next few days as a result and he can start to get some consistent football with the U21s. That way we can slowly build him up and if we are really lucky have him back to his best in the second half of the season, or even just able to complete competitive games in the PL week in and out again.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Great to hear that he started and completed the whole game. Hopefully he doesn't feel any effects over the next few days as a result and he can start to get some consistent football with the U21s. That way we can slowly build him up and if we are really lucky have him back to his best in the second half of the season, or even just able to complete competitive games in the PL week in and out again.
He is a strong fella, Darren. Even last season against Chelsea he didn't look out of place at all. And I would imagine he wasn't in a better state then. If only he could come back with his 07-09 form... The most important thing is everything's ok with his life. Or at least ok enough.