Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not the ‘galacticos’. Didn’t VVD and Allison immediately start and play every game?
Alisson did but only because our other keeper options were horrendous. Van Dijk was left out of that 4-3 game against City at Anfield shortly after we signed him but then came in, again because our options were horrendous at CB.

Robertson and Fabinho hardly kicked a ball for the first few months and Diaz was rotated initially. I think Jota was a bit in and out from what I remember. Depends on the player but sometimes he decides to let them train and takes it slow with giving them games.
What is general opinion about him among Pool fans?
He was a necessary signing considering Mane's departure. Klopp does this thing where if a player has a good game against us he'll decide to sign them. He did it with Robertson, Mane, Minamino and a few others including Nunez (based largely off of the game at Anfield against Benfica last season).

I have confidence in Klopp's ability to get the most out of him. If he manages 15-20 in the league I think that's a good return for his first season. I don't know how it'll impact how we play. He's only had three training sessions so we'll see how he does when the season starts. He's clearly got some good attributes and has plenty of time to develop. I do think his first touch needs a lot of work though, and his passing needs to improve a fair bit.

Abraxas

Replacing Mane is no easy task. I know he's not a direct replacement but within the XI he will be. It's not a foregone conclusion that he'll improve them for that money because Mane was such a rounded player. However that's in the short term, the long view would be that he should become a top striker if they're correctly assessing him.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Again its 30 mins of pre season with about 2 weeks training and settling in time.

If those parties are filled with people who use the term "bazinga" I'm probably not missing much to be fair.
Yes you are! Just like that flop Nunez

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You're less worried about City now they've got a potential generational talent up front for them?
Did you fear them more with Jesus, Sterling or Foden hanging out there!?
Well my post was more in context of facing the pressing in the head to head however he scored near a goal a game for Dortmund yet they got no closer to Bayern and even finished below Leipzig in his first full season with only 75 team goals (they usually hit the 80's).

I don't doubt he'll score goals but will they be as fluent and creative with a focal point? Will other players goal stats suffer? And then there's Pep who's not exactly known for meshing with his style of striker (Aguero was a lot more a 'footballing' forward and even he had to change his game to appease Pep).

That said i still think they'll win the league next season but i don't buy the idea he'll have them totally unchallengable.

Mine isn’t. Haaland and especially Nunez are extremely intense pressers. Big reason why they were both in demand. Both absolutely rapid for their size and make intense defensive and offensive runs.
There's good then there's what Pep wants. They barely conceded chances last season thanks to that.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Some of you are mental. He might end up shit but my god he has just joined a new team with a new way of playing.

He's being judged against Mane as he's apparently his replacement.
There is no replacement for Mane he was a one-off

PSV

Looks like the Uruguayan Diego Forlan at this stage, could only go upwards.

Coxy

Some of you are mental. He might end up shit but my god he has just joined a new team with a new way of playing.

This.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Alisson did but only because our other keeper options were horrendous. Van Dijk was left out of that 4-3 game against City at Anfield shortly after we signed him but then came in, again because our options were horrendous at CB.

Robertson and Fabinho hardly kicked a ball for the first few months and Diaz was rotated initially. I think Jota was a bit in and out from what I remember. Depends on the player but sometimes he decides to let them train and takes it slow with giving them games.

He was a necessary signing considering Mane's departure. Klopp does this thing where if a player has a good game against us he'll decide to sign them. He did it with Robertson, Mane, Minamino and a few others including Nunez (based largely off of the game at Anfield against Benfica last season).

I have confidence in Klopp's ability to get the most out of him. If he manages 15-20 in the league I think that's a good return for his first season. I don't know how it'll impact how we play. He's only had three training sessions so we'll see how he does when the season starts. He's clearly got some good attributes and has plenty of time to develop. I do think his first touch needs a lot of work though, and his passing needs to improve a fair bit.
How was he necessary? Surely there was a better fit for Klopps system than Nunez? If I didnt believe Klopp would not stand for that shit I would say this smacks of a club signing a la Woodward!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We dodged a bullet I think… I’d have him but not for what they paid. Probs worth about 50/60 mil.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's going to be good fun watching Darwin Nunez become the worst signing in the history of English football proper.

He won't even reach double figures in goals or assists.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Yes you are! Just like that flop Nunez
With a wit as sharp as yours it's a wonder you haven't cut yourself.

Again this, loving the general enthusiasm it makes a great change to the tone of the last few months around here but I really can't wrap my head around assessing the worth of a new signing based on 30 mins of pre season football.

Unless you're all joking some of you need to get a grip.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
With a wit as sharp as yours it's a wonder you haven't cut yourself.

Again this, loving the general enthusiasm it makes a great change to the tone of the last few months around here but I really can't wrap my head around assessing the worth of a new signing based on 30 mins of pre season football.

Unless you're all joking some of you need to get a grip.
You do realise everyone is joking don't you? :lol:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
How was he necessary? Surely there was a better fit for Klopps system than Nunez? If I didnt believe Klopp would not stand for that shit I would say this smacks of a club signing a la Woodward!
Who else was available? There aren't a huge number of available young forwards out there right now. He's only 22 as well so it's not like he's already at his peak in terms of development.

Besides this is all classic football knee-jerk/"banter". He's played 30 minutes of a pre-season game and had about three training sessions.

PSV

He can only wish to be a half of player that Forlan was. You have watched Forlan, right?
Yes, of course, in part why I used him as the example. To this day I easily recall his outrageous miss against Juventus in one of our pre-seasons.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hopefully he utterly shits the bed so hard that it derails their season.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Who else was available? There aren't a huge number of available young forwards out there right now. He's only 22 as well so it's not like he's already at his peak in terms of development.

Besides this is all classic football knee-jerk/"banter". He's played 30 minutes of a pre-season game and had about three training sessions.
What was wrong with Jota, Diaz, Salah and Firminho? Btw im not talking about this game ive been watching him for months since he was linked to us too and I was more than surprised that Klopp signed him.

dal

Someone saying he is a poor replacement for Mane, I think Jota and Diaz were brought in mind with him leaving.

Jota, Diaz, Salah, Nunez, Firmino, (Thiago can play there), Its still a hell of a front six, arguably a lost stronger than 20/21 season.

Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo, Bruno, Martial, is so far off.

3KDré

Someone saying he is a poor replacement for Mane, I think Jota and Diaz were brought in mind with him leaving.

Jota, Diaz, Salah, Nunez, Firmino, (Thiago can play there), Its still a hell of a front six, arguably a lost stronger than 20/21 season.

Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo, Bruno, Martial, is so far off.
Give it time. We have a very good coach now. Sancho, Martial, Rashford and Bruno have all scored ~20 goals in a season before, 3 of them twice in a row too. There's no reason they can't do it again. Probably not this season, but maybe next. By that time hopefully too Salah starts to decline.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
What was wrong with Jota, Diaz, Salah and Firminho? Btw im not talking about this game ive been watching him for months since he was linked to us too and I was more than surprised that Klopp signed him.
Firmino isn't a goal threat any more. Salah Diaz and Jota for four competitions isn't enough. We've sold Minamino, Origi and Mane. We needed to bring someone else in and Klopp clearly liked what he'd seen from Nunez last season. I understand the logic of signing him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes, of course, in part why I used him as the example. To this day I easily recall his outrageous miss against Juventus in one of our pre-seasons.
And what exactly (except his miss) reminds you on Diego Forlan? Forlan had excellent technique, ball control and shot technique. Nunez doesn't have any of those.

galwayfa

And what exactly (except his miss) reminds you on Diego Forlan? Forlan had excellent technique, ball control and shot technique. Nunez doesn't have any of those.
Think he needed a goal early, he could become a great signing but you want your forwards scoring, remember Keane taking ball of forlan I think v villa, nunes has missed a golden one, had he scored one before muss no one says nothing, the training clips and misses, it does put pressure, but for me, jury out and saying nothing yet

Loon

:lol:
This might be an interesting thread to revisit come December. The Caf of all places should understand the Power of the Jinx Thread (which I am currently pitching as a series to Netflix).

PaulScholes99

Mine isn’t. Haaland and especially Nunez are extremely intense pressers. Big reason why they were both in demand. Both absolutely rapid for their size and make intense defensive and offensive runs.
TBH i haven't seen much of Haaland and Nunez but the stats from FBref suggest otherwise

Here a little comparison of them with a few other strikers, all stats are per 90 minutes from all club games in the last 365 days they played:

PlayerNunezHaalandRonaldoFirminoKaneRicharlisonMbappeImmobileLautaro Martinez
Pressures15,24 (53)12,56 (27)6,5423,4810,5321,058,0915,7315,00
Successful pressures3,22 (26)3,87 (46)1,668,623,065,141,923,564,25
successful pressures %21,2% (2)30,8% (93)25,3%36,7%29,1%24,4%23,8%22,7%28,3%
pressures (def 3rd)2,49 (89)0,21 (1)0,872,810,753,170,410,860,91
pressures (mid 3rd)5,72 (40)3,79 (8)2,7010,684,188,452,145,605,97
pressures (off 3rd)7,04 (48)8,56 (74)2,969,995,609,425,539,278,11

Of course Firmino is an absolute pressing monster, Richarlison also seems like one. While we all know that Ronaldo and Mbappe e.g. don't really care too much about pressing. So they are a lot better than "lazy" players but at the same time not close to really intense pressers.

For Nunez and Haaland i added the percentile against all other strikers in the brackets. So you can see it's not like i chose intense pressers to make them look bad, they are just not pressing that much. Haaland is quite a successful presser while Nunez works a bit harder but the stats suggest that his pressing is quite unsuccessful.

I know, stats aren't everything. But at least they suggest that it isn't true that these 2 are "extremley intense pressers".