Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He looks a much improved player but what the feck is this? Sounds like 12 year old lingo.
Funny thing is, the poster managed to drag Utd into it where it wasn't really needed. We kind of know we are dogshit and got no serious manager so not sure what the poster is getting by acting smug on here especially during these times. It's like beating a dead horse.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
It helps to play crap teams in EL and league cup, right?
It does. But the league output is also spread across the five. The cups have been very useful to get everyone in rhythm, which has helped. Best attacking depth in Europe?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Funny thing is, the poster managed to drag Utd into it where it wasn't really needed. We kind of know we are dogshit and got no serious manager so not sure what the poster is getting by acting smug on here especially during these times. It's like beating a dead horse.
I mentioned it not to dig into United, but to illustrate how Liverpool’s upturn over the past few seasons is massively down to how most players improve under Klopp’s management. Nunez may be the next example of this.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He looks a much improved player but what the feck is this? Sounds like 12 year old lingo.
You’re right, it’s juvenile nonsense but it seems many folk now engage with football purely for online ‘banter’. The Nunez coverage seemed to be about memes and jokes despite him doing ok in his first season. I agree it’s daft language. It’s why I put it in speech marks.

Treble

It does. But the league output is also spread across the five. The cups have been very useful to get everyone in rhythm, which has helped. Best attacking depth in Europe?
Liverpool have the best forward, the best front 3, the best attacking depth, etc, but never score the most goals. I wonder why. Even Rodgers' Liverpool scored more PL goals than the one with the best front 3 ever.

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Oh boy we have a media hound who get the news from any source.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have the best forward, the best front 3, the best attacking depth, etc, but never score the most goals. I wonder why. Even Rodgers' Liverpool scored more PL goals than the one with the best front 3 ever.
I’m explicitly talking about this season. But go ahead, let’s look together at squads with better attacking depth.

You go first…

Treble

I’m explicitly talking about this season. But go ahead, let’s look together at squads with better attacking depth.

You go first…
City, obviously. KDB played more as a forward than as a pure midfielder last season. He contributed 40 goals or so. That's why Guardiola plays Alvarez in his role now he's injured. Once he's back, City have Haaland, Alvarez, Foden, Grealish, Doku and KDB. If you don't want to count as part of the attack someone with 40 goal involvements, it's your problem.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Agree. He has elite level of athleticism. You would expect him to closer to Haaland, but he still seems very erratic to be that deadly. His explosiveness means that he can't be contained, so he can't be useless forever especially playing a side that can create chances, opening through chaos like Klopp Liverpool. S even currently he's not a player Klopp would start, or leave on the pitch full 90 minutes all the time.
Prime example was the last goal against Bournemouth.
Atrocious control when receiving vertical ball from Trent, then boom! dipping shot past the GK to far post.
Neither defender marking him nor the KO could do much about; very effective.

Another upside of having recognisable dangerous player in your team is that he'll get defenders wary.
Mo Salah is reaping the benefit as he's less marked compared to seasons before.
He was so used go double-marked, it's ridiculous.
He's definitely slowed down and doesn't attack the box as he used too but his goal involvement has been superd.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
City, obviously. KDB played more as a forward than as a pure midfielder last season. He contributed 40 goals or so. That's why Guardiola plays Alvarez in his role now he's injured. Once he's back, City have Haaland, Alvarez, Foden, Grealish, Doku and KDB. If you don't want to count as part of the attack someone with 40 goal involvements, it's your problem.
Ok. Your definition of forwards is obviously different to mine.

My contention is hardly original. Since the season started it’s been opined across a host of media - podcasts, punditry, print press. You don’t have to agree with it and proffering alternatives is fine, but it’s absolutely within reason to suggest Liverpool have the best depth in attack. It’s not ‘my problem’.

https://theathletic.com/4952625/202...e-attack-analysis/?source=user_shared_articleLiverpool’s ‘Famous Five’: How Jurgen Klopp built Europe’s most formidable attack

Last edited:

slored1

He has been a pretty good signing for them. Not at the Haaland level but provides a constant threat and runs around a lot. Basically a perfect late-game sub.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
These stats say more about Salah than anything else, but it does confirm that they are looking very good together. All Nunez' assists have been for Salah too.

Treble

My contention is hardly original. Since the season started it’s been opined across a host of media - podcasts, punditry, print press. You don’t have to agree with it and proffering alternatives is fine, but it’s absolutely within reason to suggest Liverpool have the best depth in attack. It’s not ‘my problem’.

https://theathletic.com/4952625/202...e-attack-analysis/?source=user_shared_articleLiverpool’s ‘Famous Five’: How Jurgen Klopp built Europe’s most formidable attack
To quantify the best ("most formidable") attack one has to look at GF. To claim Liverpool have the best attack is to make the prediction that Liverpool will outscore the other PL teams. Only time can show whether that prediction is a good one. As I already wrote, Liverpool have never scored the most goals under Klopp. They might do it this season, but I doubt it.

Articles like the one you are referring to are written for click baits. The whole team attacks and the whole team defends. If the forwards of team X score more goals than the forwards of team Y but Y score as a team more goals than X, who have the better attack?

Also, I don't see Gakpo/Nunez and Jota as formidable options from the bench. Might be wrong, time will tell.

Last edited:

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC

According to all the dippers I’ve ever met they have the best players in every position.
Yet Leicester have won as many premier league titles as they have so them braying like donkeys about them having the best players obviously doesn’t translate into them being a club of any particular significance.
Unless sometimes being the closest losers behind city counts as being something to celebrate?

Just ignore them mate, they always get overexcited at this time of year before collapsing in on themselves and spouting endless ridiculous conspiracy theories as the season stretches out.
They’re good for laughing at, just don’t take them seriously eh?

Last edited:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
To quantify the best ("most formidable") attack one has to look at GF. To claim Liverpool have the best attack is to make the prediction that Liverpool will outscore the other PL teams. Only time can show whether that prediction is a good one. As I already wrote, Liverpool have never scored the most goals under Klopp. They might do it this season, but I doubt it.

Articles like the one you are referring to are written for click baits. The whole team attacks and the whole team defends. If the forwards of team X score more goals than the forwards of team Y but Y score as a team more goals than X, who have the better attack?

Also, I don't see Gakpo/Nunez and Jota as formidable options from the bench. Might be wrong, time will tell.
Best depth doesn’t equate to most prolific. It simply means being able to rotate players in and out without a significant drop off. Liverpool can do this on a scale others can’t - five very good forwards - not ‘attackers’. I thought this would be implicit in the word ‘depth’. Apparently you’ve misunderstood my initial comment. But I take on board your broader points.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI

Not sure if serious.
When Liverpool seems stuck, needing a goal or two, Klopp has thrown in his forwards.
More often than not, it has worked.
Throw in Darwin or Jota in, they become instantly more dangerous.
The number does seem to back that up, they have a lot of comebacks courtesy of their forwards.
Maybe as collective their forwards don't have the most goals, but they can solve problems and wins games/points.
Only Gakpo seems to have regressed from last season.
Mo Salah is just Mo Salah, the one season wonder every season.
Quite enviable I'd say.

evil_geko

I never understood recent praises, he was and always will be a donkey. People have short memories.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I remember Andy Cole missed a few sitters when he first came and then became prolific. All credit to him, I think it's a rarity. Nunez gets so many chances but he'll miss too many too keep him in the team long term I think.

ti vu

I never understood recent praises, he was and always will be a donkey. People have short memories.
He may always has donkey moments, and may never be the most clinical player; he's not the type of player you can say just leave him be. His explosive style of play is a nightmare for defenders to mark him. Luton GK had a good game and made several important saves from goal bound, good technical shots from Nunez.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
He may always has donkey moments, and may never be the most clinical player; he's not the type of player you can say just leave him be. His explosive style of play is a nightmare for defenders to mark him. Luton GK had a good game and made several important saves from goal bound, good technical shots from Nunez.
This is all fine and well but there are only a handful of top club players who miss chances like the one he had today.

Had Werner at Chelsea vibes that.

ti vu

This is all fine and well but there are only a handful of top club players who miss chances like the one he had today.

Had Werner at Chelsea vibes that.
I didn't think it's the same as Werner case. Werner is more of pace merchant type of forward which lack physical presence in the box. Nunez lack clinicalness and having donkey moment, but overall he has all desirable trait of a forward. Nunez flop season already beat Werner best PL tally!!!

He had about 3 other chances where his ball control technique, movement, shooting technique is high quality. Result and his donkey miss maybe the stick to beat him today, but the quality displayed in other chances can be useful in another game such as how he won them the game against Newcastle. Or recently against Boutnemouth.

Great player maybe not, but a difficult forward to contain, he sure is at the moment. The chaos he brings, does benefit his attacking partners to some extend.

Wilt

Unbelievable miss.

But would swap him for any of Utd’s forwards in a heartbeat.

RedUnited86

Imagine ripping the piss out of a striker who's 4 in 10 in the league this season, 7 in 15 in all competitions, whilst your own top scorer is Casemiro with 4.