Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Tarrou

that might be his worst yet, it's so simple to tap it in

although was offside anyway

Tarrou

Imagine ripping the piss out of a striker who's 4 in 10 in the league this season, 7 in 15 in all competitions, whilst your own top scorer is Casemiro with 4.
did you check the stats before you decided you were allowed to laugh or not?

Treble

Best depth doesn’t equate to most prolific. It simply means being able to rotate players in and out without a significant drop off. Liverpool can do this on a scale others can’t - five very good forwards - not ‘attackers’. I thought this would be implicit in the word ‘depth’. Apparently you’ve misunderstood my initial comment. But I take on board your broader points.
I think you underestimate City's options. Their players are quite versatile. Midfield aside, B. Silva can also play at RW and at false 9. IIRC, he started the big games at RW toward the end of last season. Doku and Foden can play both LW and RW, KDB at false 9 etc. And you should count Alvarez as well.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Destroyed Romero-Otamendi last night

For his second he beat Otamendi to a ball, then another 30 yards while carrying the ball and even took the time to dummy Dibu. It was quite fun to watch.

Of course that was the second time he did it, missed the goal the first time.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His trajectory seems to be going in similar fashion to Forlan.

Of course he had to leave Man. United to become one of best forwards in club forward in late 2000s so different if Nunez kicks on at Liverpool.

He's starting to look really good for Uruguay and stepping up to fill that Suarez-Cavani void.

Didn't see the game so not sure if he missed any key chances but his finish one on one v Martinez is exactly what he needs to start doing for Liverpool rather than scoring on his third or fourth chance as seems to happen. Feels like Bielsa is ideal manager for him at this stage aswell at international level.

antohan

His trajectory seems to be going in similar fashion to Forlan.

Of course he had to leave Man. United to become one of best forwards in club forward in late 2000s so different if Nunez kicks on at Liverpool.

He's starting to look really good for Uruguay and stepping up to fill that Suarez-Cavani void.

Didn't see the game so not sure if he missed any key chances but his finish one on one v Martinez is exactly what he needs to start doing for Liverpool rather than scoring on his third or fourth chance as seems to happen. Feels like Bielsa is ideal manager for him at this stage aswell at international level.
Forlán was always a baller though, the only thing they have in common really is how missing so many chances doesn't seem to affect their confidence.

However, Nuñez has an advantage Diego never had: the best crop of midfielders in my lifetime. Diego had to create and score what few chances he got and needed to master left foot, right foot, long range, volleys, the full repertoire.

Valverde, Bentancur, De la Cruz, Ugarte... we even bench de Arrascaeta and nobody in Brazil can believe it. That will supply enough for the battering ram approach to get at least one, hopefully two. Got about three great chances yesterday, scores one, I'll take it.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Destroyed Romero-Otamendi last night

For his second he beat Otamendi to a ball, then another 30 yards while carrying the ball and even took the time to dummy Dibu. It was quite fun to watch.

Of course that was the second time he did it, missed the goal the first time.
His missed chance highlight real is probably amazing

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Forlán was always a baller though, the only thing they have in common really is how missing so many chances doesn't seem to affect their confidence.

However, Nuñez has an advantage Diego never had: the best crop of midfielders in my lifetime. Diego had to create and score what few chances he got and needed to master left foot, right foot, long range, volleys, the full repertoire.

Valverde, Bentancur, De la Cruz, Ugarte... we even bench de Arrascaeta and nobody in Brazil can believe it. That will supply enough for the battering ram approach to get at least one, hopefully two. Got about three great chances yesterday, scores one, I'll take it.
Big fan of De La Cruz, amazed he hasn't come to europe yet given he's 27 next summer. Would do well in the premier league.

antohan

Big fan of De La Cruz, amazed he hasn't come to europe yet given he's 27 next summer. Would do well in the premier league.
Agree, don't think he is particularly bothered though. Like de Arrascaeta at Flamengo, he is at one of the few clubs that have the status, history, competitiveness and decent enough $$$ that going to some random club in Europe shouldn't be particularly appealing.

I could see his family struggling to adapt and those decisions are harder to make when you already have a couple of kids (daughters to boot), as opposed to going there with your girlfriend and the kids coming along thick and fast later to keep the bored partner busy with something.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Gotta be one of the most amusing high-profile footballer in recent years.
The swing of performance is maddening at times you can't help but chuckle.
I love that this lad is playing in EPL, a league I can watch regularly.

Statue of Limitations

IMO he missed too many sitters that his occasional 1%ers that somehow go in can't come close to compensating.
Overall you want consistency and dependability, not chaos!

Someone like Shearer who would gobble up every chance like the ones Nunez misses is what you want, just glad he is not here.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
IMO he missed too many sitters that his occasional 1%ers that somehow go in can't come close to compensating.

Someone like Shearer who would gobble up every chance like the ones Nunez misses is what you want, just glad he is not here.
Without wanting to sound sarcastic, it's pretty obvious that you'd want the all time PL scorer on your team sheet. Nunez should score more of his chances, though he's one of those strikers that seems to be unfazed by it.

Statue of Limitations

Without wanting to sound sarcastic, it's pretty obvious that you'd want the all time PL scorer on your team sheet. Nunez should score more of his chances, though he's one of those strikers that seems to be unfazed by it.
Of course, I understand mate. Just that the likes of that bald bloke on Anfield Agenda was clipped recently saying he wouldn't swap him for Haaland...sure.
Seems to be a general delusion that he is some great striker, just misses far too much.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If he were missing chances someone else would have bagged, I'd be more critical. But he gets on the end of loads that no one else would be getting to. I can live with him missing a few. He's definitely a net positive this season.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI

Are you sure you don't want 7G/6A in 17 appearances forward in your attacking line up?
I know I'd want some of that 1.34 goal contribution per 90 mins playing for my club.

Last edited:

antohan

If he were missing chances someone else would have bagged, I'd be more critical. But he gets on the end of loads that no one else would be getting to. I can live with him missing a few. He's definitely a net positive this season.
Same for the national team. I've spent the last five years dreading the day Cavani and Suárez retire and suddenly I'm not.

Better fit for this team and tactics, five goals in six for the highest scoring team in Conmebol qualifiers, Brazil and Argentina five goals behind... People are even making Mexican waves at the stadium when before you could cut the tension in the air with a banana.

Suárez got an outing yesterday which was not far from a testimonial for the fans to voice their appreciation. The fact Nuñez completed his brace while Suárez waited to come in next to the 4th ref made it even clearer.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Same for the national team. I've spent the last five years dreading the day Cavani and Suárez retire and suddenly I'm not.

Better fit for this team and tactics, five goals in six for the highest scoring team in Conmebol qualifiers, Brazil and Argentina five goals behind... People are even making Mexican waves at the stadium when before you could cut the tension in the air with a banana.

Suárez got an outing yesterday which was not far from a testimonial for the fans to voice their appreciation. The fact Nuñez completed his brace while Suárez waited to come in next to the 4th ref made it even clearer.
The current success is mainly thanks to your genius coach though, wouldn't you say?

antohan

The current success is mainly thanks to your genius coach though, wouldn't you say?
Err... I'd say absolutely in that he is setting us up to play that way, but not mainly because it is the players that execute it.

It 100% is a great match of a fantastic set of midfielders with the coach that can best utilise them. Bielsa with our 2010 would have gotten nowhere and Tabárez was stinking up the place with this generation.

Great match really, and that includes Nuñez. Right now he tops the goalscoring contributions with 8 (5g, 3a), De la Cruz is 2nd on 6, followed by Neymar (5), with Messi and James tied on 3.

I'm enjoying Bielsa, absolutely.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's like a bull in a china shop. A bull who's snorted a kilo of cocaina.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really like him (as a player - the fact that he plays for Liverpool not withstanding) - Absolute chaos and it'll only be a matter of time before it clicks for him in a big way.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I really like him (as a player - the fact that he plays for Liverpool not withstanding) - Absolute chaos and it'll only be a matter of time before it clicks for him in a big way.
That’s what everyone was saying last season. And here we are. I don’t think there’s any inevitability about him acquiring the cool head he needs to be the sort of finisher that will take his game to the next level. Especially when you consider his personality, which seems to be that of a stroppy, over-emotional bell end.

Vargo Hoat

Supports
Union Berlin
Darwin Nunez is such a weird case. He is so, so good at leading the line for Liverpool. He causes all kinds of trouble for every single defender he comes up against. Creates space and chances for everyone else in addition to a staggering amount of chances for himself. And then there is the simple fact that he does not score goals. If he starts putting some of those chances away, he's second only to Haaland in the prem.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That’s what everyone was saying last season. And here we are. I don’t think there’s any inevitability about him acquiring the cool head he needs to be the sort of finisher that will take his game to the next level. Especially when you consider his personality, which seems to be that of a stroppy, over-emotional bell end.
Worked for Suarez!

Mike Smalling

Yeah, I can't see him becoming a +30 goal a season player at the highest level. He got 15 in all competitions last season, and he is on course for roughly the same. Doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player in the starting XI, mind you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Worked for Suarez!
Not really comparable. Suarez had a bunch of seasons for Ajax where he was prolific, took one season to settle in the PL and got back to his Ajax strike rate. Nunez has had one prolific season in his career so far. What we’re seeing this season and last is more typical for him than his final season with Benfica.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, I can't see him becoming a +30 goal a season player at the highest level. He got 15 in all competitions last season, and he is on course for roughly the same. Doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player in the starting XI, mind you.
Yeah, he looks like he’ll never be elite. And he comes across as an almighty dickhead but he would immediately significantly improve the Manchester United XI. Although that’s a low bar.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
When it clicks, he'll be some player. When it clicks.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
16 goal contributions so far in 28 games and he does cause a real nuisance to sides when he plays. He should be on about 30 contributions with the amount of chances he gets and the amount of chances he fluffs up for others but I think there has been an improvement so far and he's got the capability to achieve c. 20-30 a season I think which will keep Liverpool in that title contention.

They definitely overpaid but I think it's slowly starting to work out.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Because I rate him, and he shows (rare) glimpses of having really good finishing (that Newcastle away game springs to mind).

I'd say the same thing about Hojlund by the way, and I'm sure lots of people would have the same "why?" response to. Just think he's got it in him.

Obviously I may well be wrong, Once upon a time I was convinced Ricky Van Wolfswinkel would tear it up in the Premier League....

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not really comparable. Suarez had a bunch of seasons for Ajax where he was prolific, took one season to settle in the PL and got back to his Ajax strike rate. Nunez has had one prolific season in his career so far. What we’re seeing this season and last is more typical for him than his final season with Benfica.
Don't think Darwin has much of a career backlog to tell us what is typical. He scored 16 in 32 games for Almeria in la segunda. Then 14 in 44 for Benfica in his first top flight season, before scoring 34 in 41 in his second season. The smattering of games he played as a teenager in Uruguay whilst recovering from knee surgery doesn't say much. If anything, his career seems to be one of constant transitioning upwards without much settling in at a given level.

His overall game is better this season than last, but his finishing seems even worse. He is also a bit unlucky perhaps. Hitting the post a lot, and his good finishes yesterday were expertly saved whilst Gakpo gets a goal from a mis hit shot from 5 yards out. But he creates his own bad luck too by blamming every shot.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Frustrating but his goal/assist numbers are better than other more heralded attackers - Doku, Grealish, Martinelli, Saka.

While Liverpool have Salah and Jota, there’s scope to give him time to develop and improve. Jury is out but he’s playing in a winning team most weeks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Most big chances missed this season in the PL at 18. Haaland is second on 17, but Roboman has 14 PL goals, whilst Nunez has 5. Reckon he'll finish the season on around 11-15 goals.