Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So ima switch it up and defend him a little.

He’s been scoring recently and that’s all you can ask from your striker.

His positioning has been good but his lack of technical ability is very evident.

He’s big he’s strong and he’s fast, and is only 23. So maybe he can turn it around.

Do I believe it not entirely but it would not shock me.

The only issue is 100M for him was simply stupid. If it was 45M or 50M this would not have been that terrible.

Giggs' right foot

Okay, so I don't watch Liverpool's games, but according fbref he's scored 6 goals in all competitions - while having an xG on 4.8.

I think people's classification of "sitters" must be xG-chances of about 0.15 because missing "sitters" each game wouldn't put you 1.2 goals above your xG.

Tarrou

Okay, so I don't watch Liverpool's games, but according fbref he's scored 6 goals in all competitions - while having an xG on 4.8.

I think people's classification of "sitters" must be xG-chances of about 0.15 because missing "sitters" each game wouldn't put you 1.2 goals above your xG.
it's cognitive dissonance I guess because he looks like a massive donkey on the ball

Chief123

How many goals now in all comps? Must be closing in on double figures? And not even half way through the season. First season in a new league and missed a lot of games. Not bad at all. Hate to say it but I suspect there will be a lot of United fans with egg on their face by the end of this season.
Regardless of how many goals he scores this season, he is a terrible footballer and won’t be there long term.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Teams with a system put into place for a long time like city, liverpool, ajax, you can plug in any decent player and he will produce numbers. Just like Haller scored 500 goals for Ajax but is nothing special

Last edited:

Chief123

So ima switch it up and defend him a little.

He’s been scoring recently and that’s all you can ask from your striker.

His positioning has been good but his lack of technical ability is very evident.

He’s big he’s strong and he’s fast, and is only 23. So maybe he can turn it around.

Do I believe it not entirely but it would not shock me.

The only issue is 100M for him was simply stupid. If it was 45M or 50M this would not have been that terrible.
That’s the thing. Just scoring goals isn’t enough. Not in modern football. Ronaldo scored plenty for us last season but we were still shite and had our worst premier league finish despite him being one of the top scorers. Without getting into the whole Ronaldo debate, a player can harm your team while still scoring for you.

We can even play Ronaldo now and he’ll probably still have the best goals per game ratio out of all our forwards. Yet we’ll still play worse than we would without him.

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
That’s the thing. Just scoring goals isn’t enough. Not in modern football. Ronaldo scored plenty for us last season but we were still shite and had our worst premier league finish despite him being one of the top scorers. Without getting into the whole Ronaldo debate, a player can harm your team while still scoring for you.
In basketball this is the norm by the way. If a player scores all your points but he has very high usage rate, is inefficient and doesn't defend, he's a bad player.

But in football he can control the ball with your ankle all game, don't track back etc but if you score a deflected tap in its a good performance. It's so stupid..

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Did the forum permanently switch to euros as the common currency or just for this case.

£85m.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
In basketball this is the norm by the way. If a player scores all your points but he has very high usage rate, is inefficient and doesn't defend, he's a bad player.

But in football he can control the ball with your ankle all game, don't track back etc but if you score a deflected tap in its a good performance. It's so stupid..
Thanks for the most useless comparison I'll read today.

And even then your first sentence doesn't even make sense. James Harden ticks all those boxes and is/has always been considered a top 10 player.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI

We can even play Ronaldo now and he’ll probably still have the best goals per game ratio out of all our forwards. Yet we’ll still play worse than we would without him.
Naaaah, the dude is alright.
Darwin is strong and fast and quite tall which makes him a handful.
Whenever he plays, defender can't help but getting dragged around by his physical approach.
This works out good for other attackers, more space to operate.
Mass injuries didn't help but it glaringly visible that Liverpool is more toothless when Darwin isn't playing, prime example: Forest away
He just need to iron out his donkey-ness and Liverpool got themselves a massive goal machine for the next 5-6 years.

Flexdegea

How many goals now in all comps? Must be closing in on double figures? And not even half way through the season. First season in a new league and missed a lot of games. Not bad at all. Hate to say it but I suspect there will be a lot of United fans with egg on their face by the end of this season.

I suspect the Same egg we got left with Lukaku left us

Steve Bruce

With all stats it's okay for a quick comparison but there's nothing like using your eyes.

How some one calculated what a sitter, half chance or whatever into xG is still a human who came up with their algorithm.

I also think that a sitter for Salah is different to a sitter for elanga. You have certain expectations for different players.

There's certainly a place for analytics and it's been used more and more but it's not the be all to end all either. It suits a lot of other sports better than football

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Scoring at a rate not far off a goal a game in a dysfunctional side and brings a clear energy and drive to the attack when he's on the pitch.

Not sure what the problem is, so far? Unless I've only just discovered that strikers are supposed to convert every chance they get.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Did the forum permanently switch to euros as the common currency or just for this case.

£85m.
I already had this detailed discussion with the forum months ago. The forum is understandably on a massive wind-up, no doubts some are.

Problem is when you wind up some, you Trump-dumb others. Now the forum is half-full of gullible people (mostly newbies) that have fully swallowed their fellows' input and gone all in.

Redcafe + Facebook = Redface. :p

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
His name is Darwin.

Destined to be a player that divides opinion over time I think.

He will be useful and score at times - but will he be the powerhouse leading the line? Maybe not

Lukaku mark 2

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
The comparison with Origi is interesting. How big an upgrade is he on Origi? What if they kept Origi and invested in central midfield instead?
Good question, will answer it as soon as Nunez has had one full season like Origi was afforded. ;)

Edit: football clubs, like doctors with medication, cannot work off 'What Ifs'.

ROFLUTION

Good question, will answer it as soon as Nunez has had one full season like Origi was afforded. ;)

Edit: football clubs, like doctors with medication, cannot work off 'What Ifs'.
What if they can? :wenger:
Imagine they analyzed data and player types! Ha!

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's clearly dangerous and able to get into good positions with his aggressive running style and work-rate but boy does he need to work on his technique, looked like an absolute donkey yesterday missing that sitter (again) and trying to curl in that cross that turned into a shot.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He will score goals but make Liverpool worse in attack.

shaky

xG doesn't really work well when it comes to judging individual chances. The sitter he missed yesterday apparently was an xG of 0.45, which implies that the chance would be missed more often than scored, which is nonsense at the top level.

Idxomer

His name is Darwin.

He will be useful and score at times - but will he be the powerhouse leading the line? Maybe not

Lukaku mark 2
He isn't because he works much harder off that ball.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
He has age on his side...silly to write him off yet.
Agreed. Also signed in the same window as haaland so the comparisons and expectations are unfair.

Would I love to see him flop at Liverpool…of course. Then move somewhere else and be a success:D

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
His name is Darwin.

Lukaku mark 2
I don't think much of this chant
It's haiku, I think. Just poorly formatted:

His name is Darwin.
Destined to be a player
that divides opinion

over time I think
He will be useful and score
at times - but will he

be the powerhouse
leading the line? Maybe not
Lukaku mark 2

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

His name is Darwin.
Destined to be a player
that divides opinion

over time I think
at times - but will he

be the powerhouse
Lukaku mark 2
Give this man a Pulitzer

The Irish Connection

He is scoring a bit now but every time I’ve watched him I’ve been laughing. Someone above said he has low xg or whatever that means but by god has he missed some sitters. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head. Obviously shows xg to be a bit inaccurate compared to the eye.

On the ball he’s shite. Lukaku comparisons are fair.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'd rather have a 30 year old Mane in the current United team than a 23 year old HGNYOOONYEZ.... and I reckon Liverpool fans would swap him with Mane in a flash too.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

His name is Darwin.
Destined to be a player
that divides opinion

over time I think
at times - but will he

be the powerhouse
Lukaku mark 2
:lol: :lol: :lol:

poleglass red

if he was a young lad who just broke through from your academy, you'd be excited. He looks good and poor in equal measure at times, you'd put it down to his age and rawness. He's not shy of putting the effort in and his head hasn't dropped it appears, despite some poor misses. When you pay 60+ million quid on a striker, you hope you are getting a player who is ready. The transfer marker unfortunately doesn't work like that. Clubs are paying top money on potential.I think at best he is decent, Liverpool have been start stop so far, so that hasn't helped him.