Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Mike Smalling

A few bad misses again, but I will give him that he plays with great intensity and has terrific speed. He will always create problems and did today as well.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Nunez can win golden boot... if he keeps playing against defenders that love scoring double own goals and if these goals can somehow be counted for Nunez :) Small things

Counting cross bar hits as goals would also help tremendously

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think laughing at him is premature, he will do very well at Liverpool.

He does everything right, he just needs to work on conversions.

Liverpool have a good player in him.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

He doesn't do everything right, he runs right and that's pretty much it (even if it's an important point).

He doesn't pass right, he doesn't shoot right, he doesn't control right, he doesn't read the game right, he doesn't understand his teamates right, he has the football IQ of an oyster.

He'll score goals at one point, but he's a liability when he has to do more than one touch before he shoots, very much like a poor man's Cavani.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I wouldn't be surprised if about half of Salah's are from a Darwin cross-shot. His assist against City was all wrong actually.

I would swear what Salah was chatting with Gómez about after the goal was something along the lines of "yeah, finally figured it out, he plays the ball a metre behind you so you have to sort of stunt your run and it's genius because nobody's expecting that, only me". Seriously, watch it, including the baffled expression and hand gestures :lol:

mu4c_20le

Not to defend Nunez, but the players who finish towards the top of the "big chances missed" table tend to be the best attackers. In itself it doesn't tell you much.
It's pretty straight forward. Jesus is also a terrible finisher, Salah had one of his worst starts to a season and I haven't seen all of Toney's games, but wouldn't be surprised if he 'missed' a few.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Not to defend Nunez, but the players who finish towards the top of the "big chances missed" table tend to be the best attackers. In itself it doesn't tell you much.
Yeah the 5 players with +100 "Big Chances Missed" in the Premier League are

1. Aguero (128)
2. Kane (122)
3. Vardy (109)
4. Salah (106)
5. Sterling (103)

The only one I'd describe as a poor finisher there is Sterling.

mu4c_20le

Yeah the 5 players with +100 "Big Chances Missed" in the Premier League are

1. Aguero (128)
2. Kane (122)
3. Vardy (109)
4. Salah (106)
5. Sterling (103)

The only one I'd describe as a poor finisher there is Sterling.
What that tells us is if clubs actually put faith in them to last that long, most likely they are quality. Otherwise, they could be a Bamford (5th in that pic just below Jesus) or a Tammy Abraham (2nd in 19/20 also behind Jesus)

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Nice, an assist off the post.
This lad surely is amusing.
It's maddening to be so good at blowing past defenders only to fluff his shots in the end.

Bondi77

He is like Werner in that he is quick and has good energy and also in the way he drops his lollies whenever he walks into the sweets shop.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What that tells us is if clubs actually put faith in them to last that long, most likely they are quality. Otherwise, they could be a Bamford (5th in that pic just below Jesus) or a Tammy Abraham (2nd in 19/20 also behind Jesus)
It tells us what other stats tell us. Getting chances is a far more important aspect of goalscoring than finishing and the best goalscorers will tend to be among the players who miss the most chances, because they get the most chances.

Being on top of a big chances missed table tells you nothing about how good Nunez is or isn't, as the best goalscorers around will regularly be found there too.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
He clearly is a good player but it's weird how pundits seem to have some sort of agreement to defend him excessively no matter what. Feels like they feel bad for him.

Dempsey19

He clearly is a good player but it's weird how pundits seem to have some sort of agreement to defend him excessively no matter what. Feels like they feel bad for him.
If he played for United I wonder what the same pundits be saying.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s always involved at the top end of the pitch. Got lots of pace and creates chances he just can’t finish them. He’s getting defended way to much though and that’s only because he plays for them. I’d we’d of signed him he’d of been called an expensive flop. Even from the scouse fans. They’d of been laughing at how bad is finishing is. Can just leave him 1 on 1 and the keeper can stay still and be confident he misses.

Its anybody who plays regularly at a big club and get lots of chances. Some come good, some like Morata or Werner never learn to finish them. Nunez shows little sign of improvement there so far.

Josh 76

Working on conversions is like working on speed. You have it, or you don’t.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Just looked on the goal scoring charts and how has Núñez got the same amount of goals as rashford? :lol: Rashfords been in from while Nunez misses every chance he gets.

Harold_Giles

Just looked on the goal scoring charts and how has Núñez got the same amount of goals as rashford? :lol: Rashfords been in from while Nunez misses every chance he gets.
Probably because Rashford has been in form recently in other competitions.
Has 13 goals so far this season, including the WC. Only 5 of those goals in the PL.

Relevant

Working on conversions is like working on speed. You have it, or you don’t.
I actually think it's the complete opposite. You can't train to run much faster than your natural physicality allows, but you can definitely train to be better at kicking a ball the right way.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Those feeling sympathetic towards him will soon change their tune when his misses start costing the team points/wins.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
You don’t have to wonder. Just go back and see what they said about lukaku. This guy is as shite if not more than lukaku was for us.
I get that it's funny with Nunez missing basically every chance, but some of the comparisons in here seem a bit lazy.

Finishing were supposed to be one of Lukaku and Werners best qualities, while it's never been a secret that it is a weak part of Nunez game. He is also clearly outperforming them in terms of Goals + Assists.

These Mins/G+A (excluding pens) don't lie:

Aguero (Man City, all competitions)95.8
Kane (Tottenham, all competitions)114.6
Werner (Chelsea, all competitions)147.5
Lukaku (Man Utd, all competitions)128.5
Nunez (Liverpool, all competitions)86.4
Salah (Liverpool, all competitions)104.2

FSGs entire "moneyball"-strategy is to ignore the eye test in favor of hard stats. This seems very relevant here. Nunez could be a wolf in donkey's clothing.

Relevant

Antony is the only thing currently stopping us putting the welly into Darwin more forcefully :nervous:

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
He will come good for sure. There is a +20 PL goals a season striker in there. Next season will be his year la.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yup Salah and Kane are always near the top here and their numbers are pretty good.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He has 50 shots in the league with only 5 goals scored. This is different to the likes of Forlan or Morata who just struggled to get to grips with the league. He might still come good but he just seems like a really bad finisher.

bludsucker

I get that it's funny with Nunez missing basically every chance, but some of the comparisons in here seem a bit lazy.

Finishing were supposed to be one of Lukaku and Werners best qualities, while it's never been a secret that it is a weak part of Nunez game. He is also clearly outperforming them in terms of Goals + Assists.

These Mins/G+A (excluding pens) don't lie:

Aguero (Man City, all competitions)95.8
Kane (Tottenham, all competitions)114.6
Werner (Chelsea, all competitions)147.5
Lukaku (Man Utd, all competitions)128.5
Nunez (Liverpool, all competitions)86.4
Salah (Liverpool, all competitions)104.2

FSGs entire "moneyball"-strategy is to ignore the eye test in favor of hard stats. This seems very relevant here. Nunez could be a wolf in donkey's clothing.
My reply was to the poster wondering how the press and pundits would treat him if he was a United player. Yes you are right it is a lazy comparison to make especially considering its an insult to lukaku to have him compared to this donkey.

cyberman

Enough of this shite about working hard and being unlucky. He got lucky v Leicester that should have seen them struggle to get a winner from a bad miss but it got thrown in for him.
Now he misses a glorious, early chance that would change the game but no. Sky gave him every excuse for the miss. These misses matter.

Dempsey19

His passing has also been abysmal in this game. Few times he's just passed it straight out of play.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Enough of this shite about working hard and being unlucky. He got lucky v Leicester that should have seen them struggle to get a winner from a bad miss but it got thrown in for him.
Now he misses a glorious, early chance that would change the game but no. Sky gave him every excuse for the miss. These misses matter.
I've never seen a player given more excuses for not scoring. Christ our own fans slaughtered Ronaldo for much of last year even when he was scoring the majority of our goals, AND we slaughtered Martial for years when he'd play perfect technical football but fail to finish chances. We seem to hate both, yet many of our fans rate Nunez for being a donkey that also doesn't finish well. It's the most bizarre behavior I've seen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His passing has also been abysmal in this game. Few times he's just passed it straight out of play.
That’s why I don’t buy the narrative about how getting loads of chances mean the goals will follow. It’s not about snatching at chances. His problems go much deeper than finishing. He has a fundamental inability to kick the ball where he wants it to go, consistently.