g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

The summer when Liverpool starts making big mistakes in their transfers.

OleGunnar20

He might be a decent striker but he's never a mega money signing for me. Hope we don't throw the majority of our budget at this guy.

Nick.

It seems to me that we are waiting to see what happens with Frenkie before finalising other deals. If we pushed this deal aside to prioritise Frenkie then we had better get him because ending up with neither would be embarassing.

Rolaholic

The reliable Scouse journos are jumping on this so I don't think it's a negotiation ploy from Benfica this time tbf. Their players, current and former, and coach have also been quite open publicly about how much they rate him too recently which would be random in and of itself.

They're going to have a need as well given Mane seemingly having played his last match for them and with Salah's contract situation still up in the air.

Could see it happening for something around 70m which I highly doubt that Benfica would reject.

They wouldn't lose someone like Mane without bringing in a high profile replacement in my opinion, they won't take a chance at risking a massive drop off.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems to me that we are waiting to see what happens with Frenkie before finalising other deals. If we pushed this deal aside to prioritise Frenkie then we had better get him because ending up with neither would be embarassing.
He's chosen Liverpool. Doesn't matter what we prioritised.

We have to accept we aren't top of the food chain anymore.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not sure who we'll go for as that looks like Nunez and Nkunku off the table for us. If we want a striker similar to Nunez, I liked the look of Zapata at Atalanta in the brief times I've seen them play, though he's not been prolific. Schick maybe?
I like the look of schick, seems to have finally had a breakout season although his previous numbers make me wonder if it's an outlier or not.

cyberman

Unless it’s just to get on the end of every Trent cross then I can’t see how this will work.
Koop has been skidding around bad transfers such as missing out on Werner so maybe this isn’t one they luckily miss out on.
I just can’t see how we would spend so much on him with so much focused on De Jong. It never made sense

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Koop has been skidding around bad transfers such as missing out on Werner so maybe this isn’t one they luckily miss out on.
He hasn't though. All the good transfers are down to him. Someone like Werner would have been good under Klopp. The same way so many Liverpool signings would have been much less effective elsewhere.

Adam-Utd

Unless it’s just to get on the end of every Trent cross then I can’t see how this will work.
I just can’t see how we would spend so much on him with so much focused on De Jong. It never made sense
He's very quick, has fantastic movement in the box, he never stops running and hassling defenders.

They can knock it over the top for him to chase, or keep possession and bombard the box with crosses. He will score 20/25 goals a season no problem for that side.

People are going to be a bit mythed when this so called 'awful' touch isn't anywhere near as bad as made out by some.

Seven Seas Sardines

The summer when Liverpool starts making big mistakes in their transfers.
Coincides with their DOF Michael Edwards leaving the club for Real Madrid. Fingers crossed this is a sign of things to come and they go for Pulisic too. Finally something to get giddy about in silly season!
Embarrassing to not get Núñez if Frenkie falls through? :lol:

Embarrassing would be needing two midfielders and missing out on one, only to waste a majority of our budget on an overrated backup striker!

Adam-Utd

Glenn Johnson was quite blunt about exactly this...

The only way we beat them these days is paying more wages. We've done that for a few years and ended up coming out of it worse.

Unfortunately we are now paying for years of incompetence. Lets hope ETH can work some miracles and get us back consistently in the top 4.

cyberman

He hasn't though. All the good transfers are down to him. Someone like Werner would have been good under Klopp. The same way so many Liverpool signings would have been much less effective elsewhere.
Isn’t there a committee or something? Anyway he was after Dembele who was made of glass, Fekir who had his body fail on him just after. Klopp may be a miracle worker but he has missed out on some disasters. Salah had to be forced on him ffs! Liverpool would have been far better off if they missed out on Kieta as well.
I just can’t see this working. Maybe with Mane in the team it would work but he and Diaz in a front 3 takes away a lot of creativity and nuance imo. Maybe Klopp is going more direct next season, I dunno.

redcucumber

Watch as we fail to sign even a single one of Ten Hag's targets and start the next season with Ronaldo, Bruno, McFred, Varane, Maguire, Rashford, Sancho, Shawberto and Dalot. :lol: It's Mourinho all over again. Grim.
Mourinho got Ibrahimovich, Pogba, Bailly, and Mkhitaryan in his first summer! He also wanted to sign Willian and everybody's most hated Harry Maguire during his tenure. Mourinho can suck it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Don't think we're that arsed about him with his price tag. Will be a decent Mane replacement, but think they'll be very disappointed if they spend £85m on him.

Adam-Utd

Isn’t there a committee or something? Anyway he was after Dembele who was made of glass, Fekir who had his body fail on him just after. Klopp may be a miracle worker but he has missed out on some disasters. Salah had to be forced on him ffs! Liverpool would have been far better off if they missed out on Kieta as well.
I just can’t see this working. Maybe with Mane in the team it would work but he and Diaz in a front 3 takes away a lot of creativity and nuance imo. Maybe Klopp is going more direct next season, I dunno.
The mane/Firminho/Salah fluid front 3 is over.

You have to change things up a bit. Diaz is much more of an old school drive to the line and cross or cut in and shoot type of player. He doesn't really look to combine around the box like Mane did.

Nunez will thrive with Liverpools style. They already play very direct football with lots of long balls from VVD and TAA especially.

Kxng Ander

I really don't see the big problem with Nunez he's 22-years old. You're telling me some first-touch drills can't change this man's game? Has a coach ever tried to really work on his weaknesses as ETH will?

Come on guys, have some faith in the manager, if he's going for him then he has a plan for him. He scored a hattrick off the left last season so he can surely play with Cristi and Antony/Sancho in a front 4-3-3 in some games and more importantly be there when Cristi is missing. Do you remember how poor we looked whenever Bruno had to play striker because Cristi had a knock? We gotta go big, potential world-class, 34 in 41 is potential world-class.

And what are you guys on about he's chosen Liverpool? I don't see any of this. If Liverpool is smart they go for Nkunku and leave this business to us without a bidding war.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
The propaganda machine of Jorge Mendes and Benfica about to make a new João Félix or Renato Sanches.

And there will be those who fall into the trap.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Klopp even makes Jota look good so wouldn't be surprised if Nunez does do fairly well for them, I maintain he'd have been a shit signing for United though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s interesting to see how the dynamic will shift if Liverpool sign him.

Two of the biggest clubs in football at the moment moving away from false 9’s in Foden / Firmino/Mane to a conventional no.9 in Haaland and Nunez

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Coincides with their DOF Michael Edwards leaving the club for Real Madrid. Fingers crossed this is a sign of things to come and they go for Pulisic too. Finally something to get giddy about in silly season!

Embarrassing would be needing two midfielders and missing out on one, only to waste a majority of our budget on an overrated backup striker!
I hope with all my heart that Edwards leaving Liverpool makes their recruitment much worse. But, at this point, it feels like kidding myself.

Exactly this. Liverpool know what type of player will work in their system. They understand exactly what they are looking for and make sure that the parts they assemble can be swapped out without it affecting their playing style at all.

In recent years we have made a big deal of having 'options' but by and large that's just been incoherence. Playing with Ronaldo up front means the team plays radically different to playing with Martial up front or Cavani up front. Same in midfield, any combination of Pogba, Matic, McTominay and Fred has meant us having to drastically change what we try to do.

Liverpool don't have this problem. Liverpool have a toolbox that has a bunch of similar parts and if one gets damaged or whatever, they just replace it with a part that does the same job. That's why I don't think Liverpool will be that fussed if Nunez comes or doesn't come. I can guarantee Liverpool will have at least two or three backup options who, even if they aren't as good, will come in and do the same things Nunez would. Its exactly what we've seen with the likes of Jota and Diaz. At this point they're just a well oiled machine and, unless Klopp chooses to play in a totally different way, they can go into the market knowing exactly what they're trying to find.

cyberman

The mane/Firminho/Salah fluid front 3 is over.

You have to change things up a bit. Diaz is much more of an old school drive to the line and cross or cut in and shoot type of player. He doesn't really look to combine around the box like Mane did.

Nunez will thrive with Liverpools style. They already play very direct football with lots of long balls from VVD and TAA especially.
I’m not sure. Diaz doesn’t really go on the outside and has a Rashford habit of continually cutting in. Since he came to Liverpool both Salah and Jota have gone on long barren streaks in front of goal. Imo that because he doesn’t use Robertson as well as Mane does.
I’m glad this is happening as Haaland to City as well. These types of changes can backfire and that’s the only hope the league has.

Seven Seas Sardines

Diaz doesn't really look to combine around the box like Mane did.

Which is damn good for us and the rest of the league.

Díaz struggle to find teammates against parked buses, especially when doing no-look passes every single time. Nuñez is also a poor header of the ball for his stature, so their plan B bombardment of crosses won't be as effective as one might think.

TheDosser56

Mark Goldbridge called the Nunez to Liverpool story weeks ago from his Liverpool source the day of the Champions League final. Looks like he was bang on and it's now well advanced that Liverpool are on the brink of an announcement.

if United and it's fanbase think they can win a transfer race with Liverpool and go head-to-head with Liverpool for the same players just because we have Ten Hag they are in for a massive shock :lol:

United and it's fanbase need to accept the reality of the situation and we can't attract certain big players anymore. And target a lower-tier of player like a Ruben Neves from Wolves or a Championship Player of the Year Fabio Carvalho from Fulham. That's our level right now but doesn't mean they can't turn into or develop into great players

United are turning into Chancers trying there luck.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Díaz struggle to find teammates against parked buses, especially when doing no-look passes every single time. Nuñez is also a poor header of the ball for his stature, so their plan B bombardment of crosses won't be as effective as one might think.
Tbf most of the analysis I've read regarding him from people who've watched him regularly, come to the conclusion that his aerial ability is one of his strongest attributes

Nick.

I'm saying if we pushed this deal aside to prioritise signing Frenkie first and then wind up with neither it would be very poor from us as usual.

Adam-Utd

Tbf most of the analysis I've read regarding him from people who've watched him regularly, come to the conclusion that his aerial ability is one of his strongest attributes
yeah not sure where this has come from either. I've seen him scoring plenty of good headers.

Maybe people are confusing 'duel stats' as being poor in the air? that's another stat which is pretty useless without context.

Seven Seas Sardines

From his two seasons playing against midgets in Primeira Liga he's scored 32 goals, 5 of which were headers. Aerial duels won's at a paltry 37.8%.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Thats what happens when you sleep on the market. Well, on to the next one (eventually)
Sleep in the market :lol::lol::lol::lol:

1) The window isn’t open yet (2 days to go)
2) He hasn’t actually signed for Liverpool

Calm down for christ sakes

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Is this lad really that good? €100m for a striker in the Portuguese league seems nuts.

I mean, we do need a new striker, but Ronaldo can probably cover us there for another year, so I'd prefer to get the midfield and defense fixed first.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's an interesting one. Mendes is his agent and he has Ronaldo at Man Utd already, he'll earn more money at Man Utd but more games / trophies at Liverpool. If Liverpool are genuinely interested in him I'm pretty convinced he is good, their scouting is a lot better than ours.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
You would hope Mendez us talking Nunez that Liverpool have peaked, and that United are on the upwards.

You guys really need to make Jude Bellingham your 2023 top target after a (hopefully) good season under ETH.

Status
Not open for further replies.