Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So you pulled out because of a €5m difference in valuation since the add-ons won't be triggered until future years? Seems fishy.
We considered the player to be a €70m target, including add ons snd bonuses. That's what i'm getting from Romano, and it was a potential deal that was €30m too high in the end.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It would just be a huge mistake of a signing for us.

Especially at those prices. We have such urgent need in our midfield, it would be insanity to spend that kind of money on a forward.
But without a striker we have to rely on Rolando too much. Yes, he was too expensive for us but I still hope we buy a young talented striker this summer

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
We considered the player to be a €70m target, including add ons snd bonuses. That's what i'm getting from Romano, and it was a potential deal that was €30m too high in the end.
Fair enough, and the right strategy probably, but that would then kinda contradict your previous statement that you made us overpay for him. A €50m + €20m add-ons deal (or something along those lines if you valued him a €70m package) isn't even in the same ballpark as what we seem to be paying for him, if it was Utd v Liverpool we wouldn't have had to go that much higher than what you thought he was worth.

Anyway, it's a hell of a fee for someone "unproven" with clear deficiencies in his game. A lot of that is coachable but will be very interesting to see how he performs in his first year, pressure will be on him with a fee like that. Hoping he'll be more of a Torres/Suarez signing than a Benteke/Carroll one. My guess is he won't hit the ground running but he'll also be eased in the first XI with Diaz, Firmino, Jota, Salah the four options in front of him.

RatPack

Guess we will not get a back-up striker this summer.
Wonder who will play if Ronaldo will be out due to a long time injurie.
I do not see any good options in players mentioned. Do we have any talented young striker in the youth teams ready to step up (not wingers)?

TheLiverBird

Deal agreed, and I’ll be delighted when he’s signed purely from the talk of this chap from those in the know

however

football is crazy, including add ons….£85 million for a player with 1 decent season under his belt?? Seems nuts too me but then I know nothing of this kid, never seen him play, but fortunately our recruitment is pretty decent so I have quite a chunk of faith in this

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough, and the right strategy probably, but that would then kinda contradict your previous statement that you made us overpay for him. A €50m + €20m add-ons deal (or something along those lines if you valued him a €70m package) isn't even in the same ballpark as what we seem to be paying for him, if it was Utd v Liverpool we wouldn't have had to go that much higher than what you thought he was worth.

Anyway, it's a hell of a fee for someone "unproven" with clear deficiencies in his game. A lot of that is coachable but will be very interesting to see how he performs in his first year, pressure will be on him with a fee like that. Hoping he'll be more of a Torres/Suarez signing than a Benteke/Carroll one. My guess is he won't hit the ground running but he'll also be eased in the first XI with Diaz, Firmino, Jota, Salah the four options in front of him.
What I meant was, Benfica likely leveraged our interest against you to push the price as high as it got. But you're in a position to take the gamble and I don't believe we're. So I think it was sensible of us to walk away and maybe it was a risk worth taking for your club.

DevilRed

But without a striker we have to rely on Rolando too much. Yes, he was too expensive for us but I still hope we buy a young talented striker this summer
I do too. Summer window has just started.

I think we could spend far less money on someone with "similar" qualities to nunez. Whos literally had one half decent season.

Its the type of signing we used to make and then immediately regret.

I'd rather we give Hughill or Mcneill etc. a path into the first team. Or maybe we go and sign Nkunku/Lewandoski ;)

I feel confident with Ten Hag at the helm. He knows what type of players he wants. I mean ffs we are FINALLY addressing our midfield issues.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We obviously wanted him but only for the right price.

Liverpool paid what Benfica wanted + the lure of CL football and Liverpool being better right now made it an obvious choice.

it is what it is, the longer we mess around dropping in and out of Europe this will happen more often.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We were never going to pay big money for a back up to Ronaldo, our transfer business is pretty predictable.

DevilRed

Deal agreed, and I’ll be delighted when he’s signed purely from the talk of this chap from those in the know

however

football is crazy, including add ons….£85 million for a player with 1 decent season under his belt?? Seems nuts too me but then I know nothing of this kid, never seen him play, but fortunately our recruitment is pretty decent so I have quite a chunk of faith in this
Sancho and Tchouameni deals have set the market.

You're "overpaying" but you're really not. If that makes sense.

I mean if a proven donkey like lukaku can go for 100m, then a less proven donkey like nunez makes sense at 85m.

Irrational.

Liverpool will recoup most of that money with the Mane sale.

Their transfer strategy is surely amongst the world’s best at the moment.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You might want to check on those add-ons.
Read somewhere it's approximately €12.5m individual and €12.5m team performances? So I'd imagine even the first ones only get triggered after his first season at Liverpool unless there's something like "10 games played" included, dunno.

EDIT: £12.8m appearances, £8.5m team success apparently. So that first ~€15m is a formality basically but it'll depend on amount of games when that add-on is due.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Journalists aren’t in a room or listening into phone calls when two clubs a negotiating. They get their information from sources close to the clubs or players involved, someone has to give them the info it doesn’t just magically appear. Only once they get the information that is when you hear about the story. So if everyone privy to something happening keeps quiet they’ll obviously not know about any potential transfer.
Now you are getting there but that's not what you originally said. Journos have sources who tell them things so doesn't have to be the only parties in the room. Player tells friend, that friend tells someone else who mentions it to a friend who contacts a newspaper.

Oh and if you think they don't listen into phone calls, you haven't been paying much attention over the past 10-15 years...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Liverpool will recoup most of that money with the Mane sale.

Their transfer strategy is surely amongst the world’s best at the moment.
can't see them getting anywhere close to £60m for Sane. but agree that there's little wrong with their strategy, although not sure they can afford anyone else this summer (but then they don't really need anyone). What's really good about their system (and City's) is they identify who they want and go out and get him without the bollox that United seemingly always get involved in

RedDevilQuebecois

I feel this is them being scared about Haaland.
Then we've to question how rational some people within LFC are if fear is driving their course of actions here. I remember being mad that we only signed Michael Carrick (who was not particularly high-profile) and lost Ruud van Nistelrooy while Chelsea had signed Andryi Schevchenko and Michael Ballack in the summer of 2006, but time sure proved Sir Alex right on those decisions while the Chelsea signings ended up costing Mourinho his job the first time.

Real Name

can't see them getting anywhere close to £60m for Sane. but agree that there's little wrong with their strategy, although not sure they can afford anyone else this summer (but then they don't really need anyone). What's really good about their system (and City's) is they identify who they want and go out and get him without the bollox that United seemingly always get involved in
Thats cause you're tracking United business day in day out and dont know how it goes for other clubs. From the outside it seems like one day they show interest and the next they they sign someone and it doesnt work like that.

Judas

Open to offers
Thats cause you're tracking United business day in day out and dont know how it goes for other clubs. From the outside it seems like one day they show interest and the next they they sign someone and it doesnt work like that.
Exactly. If you went on a Liverpool forum I bet you'll see plenty complaining about their transfers being sagas too. How people aren't able to compute something so simple I'll never understand.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Then we've to question how rational some people within LFC are if fear is driving their course of actions here. I remember being mad that we only signed Michael Carrick (who was not particularly high-profile) and lost Ruud van Nistelrooy while Chelsea had signed Andryi Schevchenko and Michael Ballack in the summer of 2006, but time sure proved Sir Alex right on those decisions while the Chelsea signings ended up costing Mourinho his job the first time.
Not sure Ballack was a bad move and don't believe Liverpool acted out of fear. They clearly see Nunez as the eventual replacement for Salah, who, I reckon, will leave after next season. The signing might turn out wrong but I somehow doubt it. It's very clear Klopp is in charge of who they sign and that's not something United managers seem to have full control ver for a long time now

TheLiverBird

Sancho and Tchouameni deals have set the market.

You're "overpaying" but you're really not. If that makes sense.

I mean if a proven donkey like lukaku can go for 100m, then a less proven donkey like nunez makes sense at 85m.
Yeh good points too be fair, I get what your saying and it does make sense

crazy sense because it’s football but certainly sense

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeh good points too be fair, I get what your saying and it does make sense

crazy sense because it’s football but certainly sense
also the initial fee for Nunez is a lot less than £85m. closer to £68m if reports are correct. that said, I've never seen him kick ball once so have no idea if he is worth it - but I'd trust Klopp to get it right more often than not

TheLiverBird

also the initial fee for Nunez is a lot less than £85m. closer to £68m if reports are correct. that said, I've never seen him kick ball once so have no idea if he is worth it - but I'd trust Klopp to get it right more often than not
yep

£64 million according to SSN

only rises too £85 if targets are hit

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The whole Euro to Sterling mixing seems to get ignored quite a lot both in the press and on here, even though it’s a good 15% less.

TheLiverBird

Aren't they easily achievable? Like playing 10 matches etc?
No idea mate

seems abit too easy for an extra £20 million, just play him 10 times but, there’s got to be some beneficial targets to be hit for Liverpool to warrant paying an add on

i can’t say I’ve ever paid much interest into what actually triggers add ons being paid but now you’ve brought it up, I’d quite like to know

El Presidente

Read somewhere it's approximately €12.5m individual and €12.5m team performances? So I'd imagine even the first ones only get triggered after his first season at Liverpool unless there's something like "10 games played" included, dunno.

EDIT: £12.8m appearances, £8.5m team success apparently. So that first ~€15m is a formality basically but it'll depend on amount of games when that add-on is due.
There is. Basically it's 90m guaranteed.

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
The price is high but the guy is 23 years old.
If he flops, Liverpool can sell him and get some of the money back unless his wages are crazy high. Any number for this ?
I think its a risk worth taking when you have the chance to get a young Benzema - Cavani type of striker for 6 years

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Aren't the add ons very achievable?
Apparently so, you'd expect him to hit 10 and 60 games easily if he isn't a complete flop, so €15m extra is all but guaranteed in the next two seasons.

Devil may care

I thought we paid £80M for Lukaku? And where's that extra £3M on Pogba came from? I also didn't realise Chelsea paid that much for Lukaku, over £200M spent on that guy within 3 PL moves. :nervous: Those add-ons for Nunez are the easiest to achieve I've ever seen, no winning the CL, 100 goals, Ballon D'or type stuff.

Josh 76

I thought we paid £80M for Lukaku? And where's that extra £3M on Pogba came from? I also didn't realise Chelsea paid that much for Lukaku, over £200M spent on that guy within 3 PL moves. :nervous: Those add-ons for Nunez are the easiest to achieve I've ever seen, no winning the CL, 100 goals, Ballon D'or type stuff.
I think the words used are not correct. It shouldn’t be “add-ons” , it should state “fee paid in stages”.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think the words used are not correct. It shouldn’t be “add-ons” , it should state “fee paid in stages”.
Exactly. You don’t say your house cost 15k up front plus £600 a month in add ons. Mainly because people would think you were a nutter.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Leaving aside any element of wanting to downplay how good he is because Liverpool have signed him, I wouldn't have wanted to sign him for that price. When you add in the future fees that seem guaranteed to be met it's a lot of money for someone with obvious technical limitations coming off the back of one season of massively overperperforming on their underlying stats.

It may well be that he suits Liverpool more, or that they're in a better position to overpay for him, or that he would have picked them over us every time anyway. And it's a given that their scouting team has a better understanding of him as a player than an idiot like myself. But even if he's massively successful there, I'm not gonna be complaining that we didn't get him instead. From our POV at least he would have come with a number of red flags.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool

There is a very clear rationale to this purchase. He's been bought because simply put, his shots to goals conversation rate over the last 12 months is unparalleled. It's better than haaland, salah, mbappe, vlahovic, lewandowski, benzema, nkunku - he's the best finisher bar none in world football right now according to the numbers - albeit whilst playing in an arguably weaker league than some of the others.

Couple that to the fact that he's only 22, probably has a great deal of further developing to do, is fully suited to this league due to his pace/strength, is a better presser than the likes of haaland and lewandowski and it becomes very clear why with the data team and the transfer strategy we have in place we feel it's a calculated risk to spend this much on this player.

Shots to goals conversion rate
Darwin Núñez - 31%
Erling Braut Haaland - 28%
Son Heung Min - 27%
Patrik Schick- 27%
Christopher Nkunku - 24%
Ciro Immobile - 23%
Robert Lewandowski - 22%
Karim Benzema - 21%
Sébastien Haller - 21%
Dušan Vlahović - 20%
Kylian Mbappé - 19%
Mohamed Salah - 19%
Lautaro Martínez - 18%
Cristiano Ronaldo - 16%
Victor Osimhen - 15%

ShinjiNinja26

Now you are getting there but that's not what you originally said. Journos have sources who tell them things so doesn't have to be the only parties in the room. Player tells friend, that friend tells someone else who mentions it to a friend who contacts a newspaper.

Oh and if you think they don't listen into phone calls, you haven't been paying much attention over the past 10-15 years...
I literally said in that post you replied to sources close to the club or players involved that could mean friends yes so I don’t know why you’re telling me that when I just said the same thing. I maybe didn’t go into specifics In my original reply to another poster but it was a quick comment I made.

Yes I’m well aware phone hacking is a thing and maybe it does go on when trying to obtain transfer news but I wouldn’t have thought they’d care enough to go to those lengths to find out. I personally couldn’t care less about it and don’t deep it that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.