Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolarra90

In reality, that's 6 players for 3 forward positions, pretty standard.
For our 3 positions, we have Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Martial. If we sell or loan Martial, we'll need to sign 2 players. If we keep him, we will only sign one. Probably, a forward that can play on the right hand side.

The other glaring issue is quality. Big difference in quality between ours and theirs. Therefore any player that comes in, needs to go some way towards closing that gap. If Ousmane Dembele didn't have so many question marks, he would have been my pick. I suspect we'll end up with Antony as ETH already knows him.
It'll be good if we can upgrade Elanga as well. Personally question whether he has the right quality.
I don't think we will buy more than 1 attacker this window even if Martial leaves. It's almost impossible that Sancho and Rashford have a worst season compared to last one. They would have to be finished as football to achieve that. And if they are well we are screwed.

We also might choose one from amad, pellistri or garnacho to stay.

croadyman

We were up against a team who has regularly reached the champions league over the last 3-4 seasons and been challenging or winning the league, compared to Utd. Its a no brainer for a player who has no affinity to us as well. We just need to look elsewhere. We need to build from a low position so if we say Nunez is a 10/10 for this purpose, we will be better with an 8/10 striker as apart from Ronaldo our best are 5/10. Once we start finishing regularly in the top 4, then we will attract the best. De Jong would have already been here imo, if we had have been in the Champions League next season.
Yeah we need a backup for Ronny, someone who can also play alongside him when in need of a goal or just rotating.

Hughie77

Benfica got over £100m for Felix there doing the same with thus guy. Utd not paying anywhere near that unless there bonkers. Other areas are needed first . CM first please a striker I would love and we need only if Greenwood issues arnt sorted. Martial might even try a bit more under new guy and system who knows??

No need for Nunez overpriced way way overpriced.

Brophs

The One and Only
Obviously it won’t be Nunez, but ETH is walking in the door to one of the biggest issues that can face a manager: finding the goals to challenge for things. We’re way behind the teams we’re chasing on that front and if Ronaldo does what a normal 38 would do and decline, we’re goosed. Otherwise, we’re asking Bruno, Sancho and Rashford to up their output considerably and though I like them, consistency wouldn’t be a byword I’d use to describe any of their United careers so far.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How depressing. Haaland or Nunez were the only two signings I wanted. They are generational strikers that will produce for 10+ years. It feels like when we missed out on young benzema.

oh well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well, I wanted him a lot but lets hope i'm wrong.

If he turns out to be the lovechild of Heskey and Carroll i'll be happy indeed.

Unfortunately I think he will be a star.

Dempsey19

Think Liverpool have got themselves a great striker.
I agree with this. I think he will be a star.

We are badly in need of a striker and seems there is feck all available.

Obviously he was never gonna join us once Liverpool showed interest.

We will be stuck with a 37 year old and Rashford/Martial who both don't even resemble footballers.

A Ronaldo injury and we are up shits creek.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Woww, come on boy

He will perform well and score over 30+ goals in 2022-2023 season. I trust him(Nunez), he has some potential to be one of the best strikers( if not the best) in the world.

Last edited:

Nicolarra90

How depressing. Haaland or Nunez were the only two signings I wanted. They are generational strikers that will produce for 10+ years. It feels like when we missed out on young benzema.

oh well.
On the bright side if they flop we will laugh and if they don't then in 2-3 years they'll be in Spain... Right?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be interesting to see where he plays. He has played out on the wings for Benfica, and did so against Liverpool, but then usually is a striker. Mane has been playing as a striker recently with Dias on the wing so I guess it's likely Nunez will be there.

I'm not 100 percent convinced by him to be honest. In the natch complications I've seen he seems to like to run with the ball a lot but his technique isn't the greatest. Plus a major factor for strikers in Klopps Liverpool system is the ability to hold the ball and play passes, which was what made Firmino great for them. I don't think he has the same passing ability and therefore might struggle when trying to play away from the goal.

I'm really surprised Liverpool are putting so much money on him. It's a massive risk that I don't think will come off.

Rojow

Players want to win. It's an obvious decision. Our credit as a good side, it's almost done. You can be shit for 5 years, more than that, this is what happens.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liverpool's front 3 play in a very certain type of style, so it'll be interesting to see how he fits in with that.
Mane leaving will still be a blow either way, as he's a miss a game or 2 a year injured max type kind of guy. A huge reason for their success was being able to play their original star front 3 almost every game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously it won’t be Nunez, but ETH is walking in the door to one of the biggest issues that can face a manager: finding the goals to challenge for things. We’re way behind the teams we’re chasing on that front and if Ronaldo does what a normal 38 would do and decline, we’re goosed. Otherwise, we’re asking Bruno, Sancho and Rashford to up their output considerably and though I like them, consistency wouldn’t be a byword I’d use to describe any of their United careers so far.
Don't think any of them have had the environment to be able to be consistent. No struggling team has ever had consistent players. It's not always down to the players.

Besides, Rashford has more than 1 season with 20+ goals, Sancho is up there with Mbappe as the most productive u20 player from the big 5 leagues over the past 30+ years, and Bruno is good for a solid chunk.

I do agree we need more goals, but mainly just to relieve Ronaldo and to rotate out Ronaldo. I don't think our depth would be problematic if we sign someone like Antony (Greenwood replacement) and ETH gives Martial a chance as a rotation option, but if we sell Martial than we need another depth attacker. I would be surprised if there isn't a collective improvement from last season in general.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Liverpool are willing to spend that much on him he must be something special.
On one hand yes.
But on the other hand, look at how many really high cost transfers work out well. It's surprisingly low.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
100m for him is wild. He has potential, but to me he looked like he could progress into either a Lukaku or a step below Haaland basically. Or just not really progress much. But after just this season really, 100m is kinda crazy. That's the market though I guess.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Players want to win. It's an obvious decision. Our credit as a good side, it's almost done. You can be shit for 5 years, more than that, this is what happens.
You mean like when Liverpool were shit for 20+ years? I think we’ll be just fine in the end guy

Judas

Open to offers
Calling this lad a generational talent on what we’ve seen so far is mental. He might be a huge success, but nothing I’ve seen makes me think he’s a sure thing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Calling this lad a generational talent on what we’ve seen so far is mental. He might be a huge success, but nothing I’ve seen makes me think he’s a sure thing.
It's a player going to a rival remember - some people love the woe is us card.
Let's at least wait until he's performed well for them first.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like him but the fee is mad and I wouldn't class him as a generational talent.
Needs to control a ball properly first.

Nero

One good season equals generational talent apparently. Standard drama queening on here to be fair.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What happened?

Applecrumble

Would be interesting to see where he plays. He has played out on the wings for Benfica, and did so against Liverpool, but then usually is a striker. Mane has been playing as a striker recently with Dias on the wing so I guess it's likely Nunez will be there.

I'm not 100 percent convinced by him to be honest. In the natch complications I've seen he seems to like to run with the ball a lot but his technique isn't the greatest. Plus a major factor for strikers in Klopps Liverpool system is the ability to hold the ball and play passes, which was what made Firmino great for them. I don't think he has the same passing ability and therefore might struggle when trying to play away from the goal.

I'm really surprised Liverpool are putting so much money on him. It's a massive risk that I don't think will come off.
He reminds me of a young Dzeko tbh. He looks awkward.

mu4c_20le

Uruguayan strikers don't exactly have the greatest track record in the Premier League

lex talionis

A gamble for pool, but it’s a good bet Darwin will adapt to the PL and evolve into a top striker.

Womp

idiot
Wasn't completely convinced on him tbh but now that he's joining Liverpool, it's obviously a disaster

redcucumber

Liverpool's front 3 play in a very certain type of style, so it'll be interesting to see how he fits in with that.
Mane leaving will still be a blow either way, as he's a miss a game or 2 a year injured max type kind of guy. A huge reason for their success was being able to play their original star front 3 almost every game.
Firmino is no longer a starter, so their original star front 3 has already been reworked to pretty good effect. Can Diaz - Nunez - Salah be as good as Mane - Firmino - Salah? It's a tall order.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I like him but the fee is mad and I wouldn't class him as a generational talent.
Needs to control a ball properly first.
Agree with his controlling skills( both first touch and ball retention), his weakness is this department. Although, he isn’t mediocre, he should be improve, If he wants to be upgrade himself. I will see his potential at LFC.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Uruguayan strikers don't exactly have the greatest track record in the Premier League
Except the one who coiencidentally played for Liverpool :lol:

He reminds me of a young Dzeko tbh. He looks awkward.
I liked Dzeko a lot, was underused by City, but even he wouldn't be worth 100mil in today's market. If Nunez reaches his level it wouldn't be a horrible signing, but still not worth 100 mil Euros.

Son

Surely we’d wait a year rather than splash out on this guy? 100m is just not smart business for us and never was. It’s a gamble.

Nkunku for example seems like a more well rounded forward to help Ronaldo out actually in the first 11 or as backup and we could possibly bring in a right winger too for that money.

Josh 76

Agree with his controlling skills( both first touch and ball retention), his weakness is this department. Although, he isn’t mediocre, he should be improve, If he wants to be upgrade himself. I will see his potential at LFC.
One thing you can’t improve is someone’s first touch. You are born with that skill set. Ask Lukaku!

Volksie316

So one Ronaldo injury and we are screwed then?

Who would play through the middle if that happened?

Rashford and Martial the most likely and that’s only if he(Martial), stays.

Its unbelievable really, that we are not being more urgent, when it comes to bringing in a new forward.

We have lost Cavani, Mata, Lingard and Greenwood, yet we seem to not give a feck.

Quagmire Maguire

oh well.
We have Rashford remember! Better than Mbappe according to some on this forum. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.