David Alaba

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No player controls games from LB.
Wouldn't go as far as 'controls the game', but Baines' contribution for Everton far exceeds the remit of a full-back. As did Dani Alves for Barcelona at his best.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not exactly leftback but I thought Alves more or less controlled games for Sevilla from rb.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
You should see me for my club in the amateur league, in the lowest division there is. Free no 10 role from LB and an absolute genius.
:lol:

I suppose it would catch the opposition unawares.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He plays there for Austria and has looked very good. I think he will be stuck as a LB for the foreseeable future at Bayern considering the options they have in midfield.
The way Pep sets up Bayern (particularly in the league) he practically plays in midfield all game anyway. There is also suggestions he may move toward a back 3, giving Alaba more of an advanced role.

Redo91

The way Pep sets up Bayern (particularly in the league) he practically plays in midfield all game anyway. There is also suggestions he may move toward a back 3, giving Alaba more of an advanced role.
Ya that's true. I was talking more in terms of him playing as a central midfielder.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Imo he's too one-footed to become a great cm.

zing

Zingle balls
Not exactly leftback but I thought Alves more or less controlled games for Sevilla from rb.
Yea. Haven't seen a player have as big impact from fullback as Alves.

He wasn't exactly a fullback, though. I remember watching a game where it seemed like he'd be at rightback, right midfield and near goal all for the same passage of play.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yea. Haven't seen a player have as big impact from fullback as Alves.

He wasn't exactly a fullback, though. I remember watching a game where it seemed like he'd be at rightback, right midfield and near goal all for the same passage of play.
Alves was basically self-sufficient on the right side for most of his time at Sevilla and Barcelona, completed his defensive resposibilities fine and produced in the attack. Terrific player.

Blackwidow

Fantastic player but I was curious, what do Bayern fans think will be his main position long term?

@Balu @Blackwidow
Right now at Bayern he often plays a mix - Pep uses his versatility. Left central defender, left fullback, defensive/offensive midfield, winger... - not just on paper or after switches but even inside a special position.

I guess it all depends on who is coach at Bayern in the future and what players stay or will come.

Sometimes I would like to have a time machine to travel to the FC Bayern of 2020.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Fantastic player but I was curious, what do Bayern fans think will be his main position long term?
It's impossible to tell under Pep. In a way, his role is a bit similar no matter if he plays leftback, left centerback or left midfielder. He's always influencing the whole left side of the pitch from box to box in a very fluid way.

When Pep leaves and a more 'conventional' manager takes over, I expect him to play as a box to box midfielder. It's what he wants to play and he's fantastic there and it gives him more influence on the game as a normal leftback position.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I love him. Having him in your squad would solve so many problems.

NoLogo

Absolutely love this guy. A versatile player how on top of it is great on nearly every position he plays at. Also love the way he played as a free roaming left CB earlier this season. I wonder if Pep will go back to playing this way or if he feels this will make them too dependent on the health of a single player to make their tactics work?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Absolutely love this guy. A versatile player how on top of it is great on nearly every position he plays at. Also love the way he played as a free roaming left CB earlier this season. I wonder if Pep will go back to playing this way or if he feels this will make them too dependent on the health of a single player to make their tactics work?
I hope so. I still believe our best possible formation is a 343ish one with Alaba as the left sided centerback. In a slightly adjusted way, Martinez could be considered a back-up solution as a central centerback in a back three who steps forward into midfield when necessary. It's for example how we played last season in the cup final against Dortmund. Once all three of Alaba, Martinez and Lahm were injured at the same time, we had to abandon the back three formations. I'd be very surprised if we don't see them quite often in the upcoming weeks though, now that Martinez and Lahm are back in training and Thiago could return as well and needs to find a place in midfield.

Blackwidow

I do not see a Martinez comeback this season. He is still far away from the team training and after it was revealed that his knee injury was not only an ACL but nearly a total damage I think that they will go for a comeback for the next season. Whereas a Thiago - even if he would not already play 90 minutes this season - can be utilised as a match deciding substitute, too - that does not make any sense at his positions where you need a lot of match practise to get back into shape.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He is still far away from the team training and after it was revealed that his knee injury was not only an ACL but nearly a total damage I think that they will go for a comeback for the next season.
The feck? Really? How did I miss that :( . Ffs, what's wrong with our players. Why has every single one of them the most complicated version of their injury.

Blackwidow

The feck? Really? How did I miss that :( . Ffs, what's wrong with our players. Why has every single one of them the most complicated version of their injury.
Came out about 2 or 3 weeks ago. They did not make a fuss about it when it happened. He damaged his meniscus, the ACL and another band in the knee. Somehow it is difficult, too - as some of this "injuries" mean move as fast as possible, others mean to rest as long as possible.

Badstuber, Thiago and Martinez...

Devil may care

Right now at Bayern he often plays a mix - Pep uses his versatility. Left central defender, left fullback, defensive/offensive midfield, winger... - not just on paper or after switches but even inside a special position.

I guess it all depends on who is coach at Bayern in the future and what players stay or will come.

Sometimes I would like to have a time machine to travel to the FC Bayern of 2020.
I've noticed how he transitions between roles within the actual game,e speially when Bernat is also on as they seem to have a great understanding down that left side.

It's impossible to tell under Pep. In a way, his role is a bit similar no matter if he plays leftback, left centerback or left midfielder. He's always influencing the whole left side of the pitch from box to box in a very fluid way.

When Pep leaves and a more 'conventional' manager takes over, I expect him to play as a box to box midfielder. It's what he wants to play and he's fantastic there and it gives him more influence on the game as a normal leftback position.
I thought box to box might be where he ends up regularly, or the elft CM in the diamond. With Badstuber back and Bernat as your LB it should really free up Alaba next season.

Skills

Snitch
You'd all spend the entire season complaining about how he can't cross.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was quality last night, shows how important the modern fullback is to a team.

The way he worked with ribery going outside or inside making overlapping runs is so vital, we haven’t had that for years.

Trizy

He was quality last night, shows how important the modern fullback is to a team.

The way he worked with ribery going outside or inside making overlapping runs is so vital, we haven’t had that for years.
Prime Evra or Rafael. Jesus that's long ago.

SambaBoy

Hasn't he been poor for Bayern since Pep left? Surprised he hasn't made the move into CM but maybe he isn't good enough to dominant for a top team in there.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Hasn't he been poor for Bayern since Pep left? Surprised he hasn't made the move into CM but maybe he isn't good enough to dominant for a top team in there.
Form: He was a bit so-so in the last 2 seasons, true, but I think he's on the right track again. We shouldn't forget that the guy is still only 25, so there should be plenty room left for him to grow as a defender.
CM: From all the rumors and snippets I've heard and read Alaba pretty much wants to play CM (and would want to play CM if he were to leave Bayern), but Bayern (rightly) thinks that he's not a good enough CM to turn one of the best LBs in the world into one.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Büttner would be ashamed of that defending for Benzema's first goal last night. I cannot imagine what kind of threatment would the likes of Rafael get for that from fans here.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Always stuck me as a good tactically aware player although I too think he's stalled a bit since Pep left.

Can also remember him being incredibly underwhelming in Euro 2016 when it was expected Austria would get out of the groups and be a surprise package.