David Alaba

Godfather

He is a really great and I would have loved to see him here as Evras long term replacement but Bayern knows exactly what he have in him and how rare a really good left FB is, so I doubt they will ever be willing to sell him.
He'll probably even change to CM when players like Schweinsteiger or Gustavo call it a day or start getting worse. Who knows. He certainly likes the CM position more.
For all the hype, and most of it is justified imo, he still looks a bit suspicious defensively at times, but that's only natural with 20 years of age. Will only get better. Great to have a talent like him from Austria.

Blackwidow

Wow that's some impressive versatility! From what I heard, I thought he was/is a converted LM.
What is a converted LM?

He had his debut with 17 against Firenze as a left back in the quarter finals of the CL in 2009/10. His favourite postion is central midfield - that is where he plays in the Austrian national team - and he played there as a youth player. But all of the great talents played often played in central postions in their youth. Van Gaal told 3 years ago about him, that he is a left full back, even if he does not think that of himself...

But you never know - Hummels still was a forward in the U16, Badstuber a defensive midfielder until the U23, Schweinsteiger a central midfielder in the youth, than a winger, now again in the middle - Hargreaves played all positions at Bayern as a young player. Alaba might get his central midfield spot in a couple of years and then shine in them - or he will get the world's best fullback. I do not that he can be the last!

MoneyMay

Just thought I'd say that Alaba is the best left back in the world at the moment. He is fantastic at dragging defenders away and allowing Ribery a lot of space to work with, in the same way Marcelo operates with Ronaldo. Alba has nothing on Alaba in terms of associative player. He's also not as good defensively. Once Bayern Munich win the Champions League this season, he'll get a lot of credit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would walk into our team at either LB or CM. Only 21 as well, quality player.

Aboutreika18

Gibbs is more of a wannabe winger than Alaba will ever be. Sagna's just shit.

His performance against Utd at the Emirates last season was probably one of the worst fullback performances of the '10s.

MoneyMay

Poor defender - after all that's what fullbacks are paid to do.
Please tell us you're trolling? Alaba has firmly established himself as one of the best left backs in the world. To even place Gibbs name in the same sentence is baffling and I'm going to make the assumption that you haven't watched him regularly for the last two seasons. Gibbs has nothing on him...

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Oh look, Pete talking rubbish about someone he's not watched play regularly. I'm in shock! This has certainly never happened before.

Alaba is great, though. Already ridiculously good, so versatile and still so young. Type of player you could play almost anywhere and he'd still be one of the best players on the pitch.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Huge player.

Balu, will he ever make the transition to CM, or is he destined to play LB whilst he's at Bayern?

What is his opinion on the matter, does he consider himself as a midfielder long-term?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pete's obviously not being serious. The other day he also said that Sagan and Gibbs were far better then Rafael and evra :lol:
What makes it funny is how bad Gibbs actually is. He's awful, really is.

Anyways, back on topic, alaba has been the best left back in the world for at least a year now probably. He'll only get better too. There is no other left back really that has the potential to be world class, apart from him. Even for full backs in general, apart from him and Rafael, I feel like all the other young fullbacks are just so much worse.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Huge player.

Balu, will he ever make the transition to CM, or is he destined to play LB whilst he's at Bayern?

What is his opinion on the matter, does he consider himself as a midfielder long-term?
His contract is up in 2015 and there are rumours right now that talks over a new contract are stalling because he not only wants a significant pay rise (rumours are Bayern offered €6m a year), but also reassurances that he will be moved to CM in the future. He clearly enjoys playing with Ribery on the left and the role of our fullbacks changed to more presence in central midfield since Guardiola tookover, but I'm not sure that's enough for him. I'm not worried he won't sign an extension, but he and his father talk a lot about him wanting to play in CM, so I think it needs to happen in a few years, if we want him to stay throughout his career.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Sagna and Gibbs are proper fullbacks - Alaba's another wannabe winger.
But you need shakalaka boom boom fullbacks, not proper fullbacks what ever that is. Obviously you're still new to shakalaka boom boom football.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
His contract is up in 2015 and there are rumours right now that talks over a new contract are stalling because he not only wants a significant pay rise (rumours are Bayern offered €6m a year), but also reassurances that he will be moved to CM in the future. He clearly enjoys playing with Ribery on the left and the role of our fullbacks changed to more presence in central midfield since Guardiola tookover, but I'm not sure that's enough for him. I'm not worried he won't sign an extension, but he and his father talk a lot about him wanting to play in CM, so I think it needs to happen in a few years, if we want him to stay throughout his career.
Interesting, it will be hard to gage how he will perform as a CM in the future - in respect to other clubs trying to poach him.

What is he like as a CM? From what I've seen of him I would guess he would be a strong box-to-box presence, a bit like Yaya Toure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Interesting, it will be hard to gage how he will perform as a CM in the future - in respect to other clubs trying to poach him.

What is he like as a CM? From what I've seen of him I would guess he would be a strong box-to-box presence, a bit like Yaya Toure.
At the moment though, he's got a hell of a lot of competition. Gustavo was just sold due to not being guaranteed any matches at CM. Martinez, Kroos and Thiago are all still young and Pep's used Lahm/Shaqiri there as well.

It's a tough one. The guy's probably world class at fullback but still wants to move to CM. He'll probably end up being great at CM as well - especially considering his athleticism. Spoilt for choice Balu! We hate you! ;)

Anduin

I love him... we need him big time tonight. Best player we had since Herzog, and probably our first genuine star since Prohaska in the 80s, even bigger than Polster. He's far from the finished article in CM, but we need him there and he usually delivers on the big occasions too. Has been extremely consistent with Bayern for ages now, though we can't afford to play him at left-back.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

I'd compare him with Schweinsteiger, if I had to. (I don't really rate Toure as a CM, so that wouldn't be a compliment for Alaba ;)) But I haven't seen him play that role often enough either. I don't watch games with the Austrian nationalteam unless they play Germany, it's really not that exciting to be honest, and he only played in CM a few times years ago for Bayern. I think there was at least one user from Austria on the Caf, maybe he can tell more about him in that role, no idea what his username was though.
/edit: Ah, there he is.

At the moment though, he's got a hell of a lot of competition. Gustavo was just sold due to not being guaranteed any matches at CM. Martinez, Kroos and Thiago are all still young and Pep's used Lahm/Shaqiri there as well.

It's a tough one. The guy's probably world class at fullback but still wants to move to CM. He'll probably end up being great at CM as well - especially considering his athleticism. Spoilt for choice Balu! We hate you! ;)
It's not as crazy as it looked before we sold Gomez, Gustavo and Can actually. If one of Müller or Götze plays as the striker in our best formation, it looks something like:
Götze
Ribery Schweinsteiger Kroos Müller
Martinez
Alaba Dante Boateng Lahm
Neuer

If the idea is to play 3 CMs, the only really fitting backup is Thiago, so Alaba could easily become a part of that midfield in the near future. Of course, depending on the opponent, we probably see Götze, Müller, Shaqiri or Robben in one of those 3 CM places as well, but that above is most likely the idea and I'd love to see Alaba in there instead of Schweinsteiger in 2 or 3 years. I also expect that Hoijberg will get a few games this season.

Anduin

His positioning is still questionable at times, he's wandering around too much, even if he is supposed to be one of '2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation (which we usually play with the national team). Passing is excellent, off the ball movement too and he somehow seems to show up in the box without getting noticed by the opponents (a bit like Lampard), but he really has to work on the defensive side of his game. At the moment I would say he's best used as the furthest of our midfield three, but he drops deep a lot to collect the ball so it doesn't really matter. If he plays well, we (Austria) play well. If he doesn't... well, we are a lot worse.

Cantona'sCollar

:lol: Wannabe winger? Now that Lahm is a midfielder - at least for his club, he is - Alaba is the best full-back in the world. Very strong defensively, more so than required, & excellent going forward. What strikes me is his intelligence - most attacking full backs like Dani Alves or Marcelo have average or below-par footballing brains, they're simply expected to overlap, cross & jog backwards as the midfielders do their defensive jobs for them. Alaba just seems to do everything so well, & can play in any midfield in the world - he'd start for Real, or even Barca now that they've started to shift from Tiki Taka. He's a top quality player. He's fecking 21 too!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol: Wannabe winger? Now that Lahm is a midfielder - at least for his club, he is - Alaba is the best full-back in the world. Very strong defensively, more so than required, & excellent going forward. What strikes me is his intelligence - most attacking full backs like Dani Alves or Marcelo have average or below-par footballing brains, they're simply expected to overlap, cross & jog backwards as the midfielders do their defensive jobs for them. Alaba just seems to do everything so well, & can play in any midfield in the world - he'd start for Real, or even Barca now that they've started to shift from Tiki Taka. He's a top quality player. He's fecking 21 too!
Wow, most of that post is 'slightly' exaggerated. However, I also usually prefer the CM type of fullback to the winger type of fullback and Alaba is certainly the former. He's basically a wide playmaker starting deep. I always loved these type of fullbacks, but they are rare at top level, even better that we have two of them right now (and Lahm will go back to rightback, when our CM injury crisis is over, so he's not a full time midfielder now for Bayern).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A wee bit OTT there CC ;)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's not as crazy as it looked before we sold Gomez, Gustavo and Can actually. If one of Müller or Götze plays as the striker in our best formation, it looks something like:
Götze
Ribery Schweinsteiger Kroos Müller
Martinez
Alaba Dante Boateng Lahm
Neuer

If the idea is to play 3 CMs, the only really fitting backup is Thiago, so Alaba could easily become a part of that midfield in the near future. Of course, depending on the opponent, we probably see Götze, Müller, Shaqiri or Robben in one of those 3 CM places as well, but that above is most likely the idea and I'd love to see Alaba in there instead of Schweinsteiger in 2 or 3 years. I also expect that Hoijberg will get a few games this season.
Stop bragging about your squad depth Balu ;)

I suppose it's tricky finding your "strongest" first XI, especially with Robben/Mandzukic doing well, but you can see Pep going with something similar (as yours) in tough aways/UCL knockouts.

Yeah, I don't think Pep will play either Gotze or Muller as "1 of 3" midfielders too often, so essentially you have 4 midfielders for 3 spots (Martinez, Bastian, Kroos, Thiago) with the bonus of versatility (Martinez can play CB, Alaba CM etc.) which might give Alaba an opportunity or 2 over the course of the season.

Who'll play LB if he was used in midfield? Badstuber/Shaqiri/Lahm swop with Rafinha?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Stop bragging about your squad depth Balu ;)
:angel:

I suppose it's tricky finding your "strongest" first XI, especially with Robben/Mandzukic doing well, but you can see Pep going with something similar (as yours) in tough aways/UCL knockouts.

Yeah, I don't think Pep will play either Gotze or Muller as "1 of 3" midfielders too often, so essentially you have 4 midfielders for 3 spots (Martinez, Bastian, Kroos, Thiago) with the bonus of versatility (Martinez can play CB, Alaba CM etc.) which might give Alaba an opportunity or 2 over the course of the season.

Who'll play LB if he was used in midfield? Badstuber/Shaqiri/Lahm swop with Rafinha?
I don't think Alaba will play in midfield this season, mainly because the drop in quality is way bigger than with Rafinha on the right. Badstuber could play there, but I'm not sure if he's a player Pep would use there and he's out for the season anyway. We'll have to wait what level he reaches next season after being out for about 18 months with injures. I suggested that Shaqiri might be used there a few times, but it never happened so far. It looks like Contento is the backup and will play when Alaba is missing/rotated.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:angel:

I don't think Alaba will play in midfield this season, mainly because the drop in quality is way bigger than with Rafinha on the right. Badstuber could play there, but I'm not sure if he's a player Pep would use there and he's out for the season anyway. We'll have to wait what level he reaches next season after being out for about 18 months with injures. I suggested that Shaqiri might be used there a few times, but it never happened so far. It looks like Contento is the backup and will play when Alaba is missing/rotated.
Thanks for the info bro. Pity about Badstuber. Why's he missing the season? Didn't he miss msot of last season as well? The poor lad must be gutted.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks for the info bro. Pity about Badstuber. Why's he missing the season? Didn't he miss msot of last season as well? The poor lad must be gutted.
Tore his ACL for the second time when he started training after the first time, then had to wait 3months until he could have surgery again and now it's all complicated and takes more time to heal.

Cantona'sCollar

A wee bit OTT there CC ;)

Perhaps :nervous: That said, I think that will apply to him in a few years - I really do believe he'd be able to hold his own in any midfield sooner rather than later, depending on whether he gets regular game time there. I think he's best as a full back though. Cracking talent.

Edit: While it was OTT reading back, I still think he's the best full back around at the minute bar Lahm, and will only get better.