David Beckham reportedly agrees 150M deal to become ambassador for Qatar World Cup

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's not different opinions, that's called being ignorant and partly racist towards eastern countries.
It's both. An ignorant or racist opinion is still an opinion.

Suggesting this forum as a whole has an opinion on anything is also pretty ignorant. It's a forum made up of 1000s of people, each with their own views.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
All of you not agreeing with what he is doing should get a fecking life.

Who would say no to 150 mil to do basically nothing?
My god the moral ground these days is fecking insane.
I can understand people saying they'd take the money, everyone will have different opinions and we all differ on what motivates us and what our stances are.

What I can't understand and what I find depressing is this kind of comment.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's both. An ignorant or racist opinion is still an opinion.

Suggesting this forum as a whole has an opinion on anything is also pretty ignorant. It's a forum made up of 1000s of people, each with their own views.
Yeah, but for some reason you quoted the poster who doesn't have racist but very objective view of things.

LoneStar

Fair play to Beckham. But 150M is crazy, why are they offering him so much money? Surely they could use some of that money for advertising.

Even if they wanted him badly, it's not like they had competition for him. Why not start with 50M or something :houllier:

crossy1686

career ending
A sell-out. Was a childhood hero. But I see him as a complete oxymoron with no principles other than money and posing.
:lol: Feck off, that's life changing money. I'm absolutely against the Qatar regime and everything they've done to get this World Cup in the first place, but it's going to happen anyway so Beck's might as well get £150m out of it and say to the press "yeah, it's going to be alright."

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We had a poll before asking whether people would prefer Saudi ownership or the Glazers and the Glazers won by 60%+. And that's if those were our only two choices, with other options presumably diluting support for a Saudi takeover even further.

So any argument based on the idea that the caf was crying out for Saudi ownership is weird.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yeah, but for some reason you quoted the poster who doesn't have racist but very objective view of things.
They called out hypocracy without giving any examples whatsover.

If poster A says something and then poster B says something which contradicts that, it's not hypocracy, it's two people having different views.

youmeletsfly

I can understand people saying they'd take the money, everyone will have different opinions and we all differ on what motivates us and what our stances are.

What I can't understand and what I find depressing is this kind of comment.
Until you're there and being offered 150 mil, you should just sit down and not take the 2021 moral ground with the standard "human rights" position.

Of course there would be people not taking it, that was not the point.

Dunno if you really understood my post.

I could also be a hillbilly and just say, absolutely nobody on this forum would refuse the money for his face to be used in a marketing campaign, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Hope you see the difference.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well, players keep playing for oil clubs (even though they could survive without playing for them) and other clubs keep doing business with oil clubs and will do the same now with the brand new oil club (even though they would also survive without doing transfers with them) but how dare Becks agree to get money from them.

Pickle85

:lol: Feck off, that's life changing money. I'm absolutely against the Qatar regime and everything they've done to get this World Cup in the first place, but it's going to happen anyway so Beck's might as well get £150m out of it and say to the press "yeah, it's going to be alright."
It's not life changing money for him though is it

Drifter

American
What an utter hypocrite and phony, Beckham is, must be down to his last 450 million.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Look. Their money is already in your high end real estate, in your stores, in your Christmas shopping numbers, in your defense contractors, in your football clubs... If you think this sponsorship is the needle that will now legitimize them in your society then I have a bridge in Kazakhstan to sell you

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Until someone is offered the money, all the "I would have turned down that money" is all bs. There is nothing to back it up. It's all empty words.
Would you beat up an old lady for 150mil?

It's actually very easy to say. It wouldn't even be a hard call.

There's a reason a very high percentage of ultra-rich people are sociopaths. It's utterly depressing though to read so many regular people on here apparently agree that a bag of blood money is more important than any of those pesty "values".

And yes, there are many of these questionable issues in modern day football, but one doesn't excuse the other.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
And am I the only one who doesn't care about WC being held in Qatar?

I can't think of a single country which is morally correct country to host WC. I mean if we go by that logic, none of the European giants deserve
There isn't country who is free of blood(either now or centuries ago) so yeah WC shouldn't be held anywhere, and just be erased from the memory.

Also Qatar and Saudi Arabia do business with lot of countries in the world, from UK, Germany,France, Netherlands,Japan,South Korea,China to Philippines,Vietnam,Morocco,South Africa,Nigeria,Turkey,Brazil,etc

If they don't do business with a country is cause that country is way too small to make any impact on their investments, like some caribbean island like Cuba or places like Papua Nueva Guinea.

crossy1686

career ending

There's a reason a very high percentage of ultra-rich people are sociopaths. It's utterly depressing though to read so many regular people on here apparently agree that a bag of blood money is more important than any of those pesty "values".

And yes, there are many of these questionable issues in modern day football, but one doesn't excuse the other.
Who's the old lady and where does she live?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Until you're there and being offered 150 mil, you should just sit down and not take the 2021 moral ground with the standard "human rights" position.
This point is such a vacuous one.

It's not that I don't get what you're saying, it's obviously much easier to take a moral stance when you have nothing to lose and in a hypothetical online conversation. But everyone has their own set of principles and we all have a moral barometer of what we're ok with and what we're not. I couldn't accept becoming an ambassador of a country where your sexual orientation could land you in jail, not even just for ideological reasons but for personal ones. It's the same if someone was offered to become an ambassador for apartheid S Africa, even without the offer in front of them plenty of people would know how they'd react. Plenty of people would refuse money or a knighthood from the British government because of their principles.

I don't hold anything against Beckham, he's just a cog in a machine.
I don't need to be offered the money to know my stance.

If you were offered the money to become an ambassador to a country where it was illegal to be Romanian, and that Romanians were considered evil and disgusting. Romanians would have to hide their true identity or face incarceration and punishment, would you accept it?

Even if you would accept the money, would you then label those who wouldn't as having "fecking insane morals", that "they need to get a fecking life"?

I understand people having different outlooks and stances on this, but I don't understand the posts mocking the idea of people disagreeing with it, or the idea they would turn the money down.

Dunno if you really understood my post.

I could also be a hillbilly and just say, absolutely nobody on this forum would refuse the money for his face to be used in a marketing campaign, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Hope you see the difference.
I understood your post fine, though I admit I have no idea what you're getting at with the bolded.

the chameleon

I get your point but £150 million isn't life-changing money Beckham. I'm sure he gets plenty of offers. Maybe not on that level, but still. For me, that World Cup is built on the blood of the people poor South Asian labourers building those stadiums in the worst conditions.

crossy1686

career ending
I get your point but £150 million isn't life-changing money Beckham. I'm sure he gets plenty of offers. Maybe not on that level, but still. For me, that World Cup is built on the blood of the people poor South Asian labourers building those stadiums in the worst conditions.
It obviously is otherwise why would he accept it? Because he loves Qatar and think's they're misunderstood? As you said, I bet he gets offers all the time for this shit and turns it down, why would he accept this one? For a laugh?

I agree with you, I know it is, but they're going to pay someone, it might as well be Beck's. It's not like most people don't know this WC is going to happen anyway, if they're stupid enough to pay it, then take it, donate half of it to Romania.

Pickle85

It obviously is otherwise why would he accept it? Because he loves Qatar and think's they're misunderstood? As you said, I bet he gets offers all the time for this shit and turns it down, why would he accept this one? For a laugh?

I agree with you, I know it is, but they're going to pay someone, it might as well be Beck's. It's not like most people don't know this WC is going to happen anyway, if they're stupid enough to pay it, then take it, donate half of it to Romania.
Um...because he's more interested in lining his pockets than human rights? I know it's tough to accept that idols can have clay feet, but there were are...
We don't know the state of Beck's finances, all his money might be tied up in property and Inter Miami. £150m ensures his great grandkids won't have to work if they don't want to. Good for him and his family.
So are you saying you think that Becks is hard up? At the very least, we shouldn't be applauding this, so to say 'good for him and his family' is a bit short sighted imo.

crossy1686

career ending
Um...because he's more interested in lining his pockets than human rights? I know it's tough to accept that idols can have clay feet, but there were are...

So are you saying you think that Becks is hard up? At the very least, we shouldn't be applauding this, so to say 'good for him and his family' is a bit short sighted imo.
If Beckham doesn't take this money, will the Qataris change their stance on human rights? Or if Beckham does take this money, does that mean they're allowed to start dropping bombs on the likes of Romania?

Sports Washing doesn't affect anything in reality, we all know they're still abhorrent, I still won't visit and neither will you or most people here. If Beck's can £150m out of their pocket and into his own, and so some good with it then it's better than them having it and funding something more abhorrent.

So good for Beck's and his family, they're set up for future generations now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Would you take a tour to qatar if someone pays you 150 million? I would. I mean if you are talking extreme example, why not go on the other end too.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Would you take a tour to qatar if someone pays you 150 million? I would. I mean if you are talking extreme example, why not go on the other end too.
My example isn't extreme at all. Maybe you don't know any gay people, well I do. I could never face them again if I had just agreed to be an ambassador for a decade for a country that doesn't acknowledge their right to exist.

roonster09

Scout
My example isn't extreme at all. Maybe you don't know any gay people, well I do. I could never face them again if I had just agreed to be an ambassador for a decade for a country that doesn't acknowledge their right to exist.
Did you talk the same thing about KdB when he is collecting pay check every week? What's so different here?

Xavi also endorsed killing Gay people?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Did you talk the same thing about KdB when he is collecting pay check every week? What's so different here?

Xavi also endorsed killing Gay people?
So, you're defending City now?

KDB's employer is Man City and his job is playing football. I wish he played for a different club, but it's still completely different from being a spokesperson for a bloodthirsty regime.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Thing is I doubt he even does it for the money, he strikes me as being more interested in the status (the money naturally follows).

150m though makes you wonder, why so much? Did he turn down 20, 40, 60, 100m? Why would he have turned that down? It's an absurd amount compared to the relatively little amount of time and effort he would put in. Do these guys have so much money that they just randomly picked the 150m out of thin air and offered that straight away? Or Is it so much because people are reluctant to be associated with them? Certainly he has a team of advisors who would make him well aware of the potential backlash and some awkward questions he will have to answer.
To me, it sounds like something where they make an offer for something you don't want to really do (say they offered 10m), and instead of just saying no, he threw out some insanely high number thinking they would then balk at the number but they actually accepted it.

Qatar: hey we'll give you 10m to be our ambassador.
Beckham: feck that, I'd need 150m to be your WC ambassador
Qatar: sure, 150m then

roonster09

Scout
So, you're defending City now?

KDB's employer is Man City and his job is playing football. I wish he played for a different club, but it's still completely different from being a spokesperson for a bloodthirsty regime.
I didn't defend any club or country.

KdB's employer is ManCity and who owns that club :lol:

Like I said, selective outrage.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
KdB's employer is ManCity and who owns that club :lol:

Like I said, selective outrage.
There's plenty of outrage about Man City, PSG, Newcastle, etc.

And again, there's a big difference between being an employee of a company that has a shady owner somewhere on the other side of the world and actually working with the bad guys directly to make them look good.

It's one thing to be a labourer on an oil rig, it's another going around telling the whole world how great oil mining is for the world.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
According to google Beckham is wort 450M so he's getting a third of what he already has.

Would you take part in whitewashing a regime like this one for 33% of the money you have?