David Beckham reportedly agrees 150M deal to become ambassador for Qatar World Cup

Fluctuation0161

:lol: Feck off, that's life changing money. I'm absolutely against the Qatar regime and everything they've done to get this World Cup in the first place, but it's going to happen anyway so Beck's might as well get £150m out of it and say to the press "yeah, it's going to be alright."
The sell outs guide book right here.

stevoc

It’s almost as if the majority of them were for the proposed take over and it’s almost as it most of the people talking here are also critical of more or less the same thing
By almost do you mean that most people on here were against it?

Because I'd wager most were against it going off the threads discussing it.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Where is the morality in paying someone this amount of money to be some sort of ambassador?
What sort of ethical compass creates this sort of thing?
Pay him 5 million and spend the other 145 million on health and education of children in poverty or some sort of pressing problem in the world.
Where is the ethical compass in accepting that sort of deal?

Fluctuation0161

And am I the only one who doesn't care about WC being held in Qatar?

I can't think of a single country which is morally correct country to host WC. I mean if we go by that logic, none of the European giants deserve
Any country in which we wouldn't need to disrupt the Winter season would be better.

The bribery doesn't help either.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Thread headline reads like extreme communist propaganda of the decadent captalists schemes and how they would eventually ruin and contaminate sport. The sort of thing i would laugh at my dad for ranting about.

Our relationship with money has become increasingly broken beyond all common sense.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Not a single person on this forum wouldn't do the same for that money, in fact a lot of you would do worse.

If you were offered the money to become an ambassador to a country where it was illegal to be Romanian Swedish, and that Romanians Swedes were considered evil and disgusting. Romanians Swedes would have to hide their true identity or face incarceration and punishment, would you accept it?
Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. But you can fathom that some people would turn it down right?

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. But you can fathom that some people would turn it down right?
I can fathom that anyone when offered an imaginary sum of money in an imaginary scenario it's very, very easy to say you'd never touch it. If that contract hit anyone's inbox in real life they wouldn't even read it before sending it back signed.

Imagine not taking the money because you're concerned that some random bloke will call you a sell out? But I'm sure your wife, kids and grandkids won't care and will let you live it down when they're burying you in the back garden next to the dog.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I can fathom that anyone when offered an imaginary sum of money in an imaginary scenario it's very, very easy to say you'd never touch it. If that contract hit anyone's inbox in real life they wouldn't even read it before sending it back signed.

Imagine not taking the money because you're concerned that some random bloke will call you a sell out? But I'm sure your wife, kids and grandkids won't care and will let you live it down when they're burying you in the back garden next to the dog.
You don’t know feck all about me. Your logic boils down to “well I would so everyone would”

feck me this thread has been depressing and I wish I’d never opened it. I can understand people taking the money, but the idea that you bc any even fathom why some wouldn’t is incredible.

crossy1686

career ending
You don’t know feck all about me. Your logic boils down to “well I would so everyone would”

feck me this thread has been depressing and I wish I’d never opened it. I can understand people taking the money, but the idea that you bc any even fathom why some wouldn’t is incredible.
No I perfectly understand, but unless you're a millionaire or naive, you can't possibly imagine how you would react when presented with that amount of money.

Let's say we both have equal wealth, they offer you the money, you turn it down on moral grounds. They offer me the money, I take it and give half to Romanian orphans. Technically I've done more good than you'll ever do, does that make me a sell out? What am I possibly going to do with all that cash? I don't need it all, I might as well give some away to a good cause.

Don't presume people are greedy because you are, take your own advice:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
No I perfectly understand, but unless you're a millionaire or naive, you can't possibly imagine how you would react when presented with that amount of money.
I think considering my personal circumstances I'm pretty confident what it would take for me to become an ambassador for a country which criminalises being lgbt. You're free to tell me I'm wrong on that, but I wouldn't say to someone who turned down becoming an ambassador for a country that practiced apartheid for personal reasons that they never know until the money is in front of them. I wouldn't say to a Jewish person that they have no idea if they would or wouldn't know if they'd become an ambassador for a country that celebrated the holocaust until the money was in front of them.

"you can't possibly imagine how you would react when presented with that amount of money."

Yet you're perfectly happy to imagine how people would react to that amount of money, despite having no idea who or what they are, based on how you would react? Interesting logic.

Let's say we both have equal wealth, they offer you the money, you turn it down on moral grounds. They offer me the money, I take it and give half to Romanian orphans. Technically I've done more good than you'll ever do, does that make me a sell out? What am I possibly going to do with all that cash? I don't need it all, I might as well give some away to a good cause.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I never said it would make you a sell out. The sole argument I've made is against your Not a single person on this forum wouldn't do the same for that money, in fact a lot of you would do worse.

So whatever the feck that paragraph has to do with anything? I don't know, but it sure as feck has nothing to do with anything I've said or argued.

Don't presume people are greedy because you are, take your own advice:
I'm trying hard to be civil here. I haven't once called you greedy. I haven't even implied anything of the sort to you. Read my messages to you, I'm hoping you made a genuine error while you misread my posts.

I haven't made a single presumption about you. You've made plenty of me, but I haven't made a single one about you.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
According to google Beckham is wort 450M so he's getting a third of what he already has.

Would you take part in whitewashing a regime like this one for 33% of the money you have?
Depends what he does with the dosh as well.

I remember Drogba did an advert for Pepsi (a pretty shitty product) and used the entire £3 million he received to build an orphanage in the Ivory Coast.

Becks could to a lot of good with even 1% of that 150 mil.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I remember Drogba did an advert for Pepsi (a pretty shitty product) and used the entire £3 million he received to build an orphanage in the Ivory Coast.

Some orphanage this

Unam333

I'm out of the loop on this one, what e-mail hacks?
Beckham's e-mails were leaked by hackers. Becks was ranting quite a bit about him not getting knighthood, about him not wanting to put his own money in his philantrophy. He sounded like a annoying little crybaby. His demeanor and public image is way too plastic for my liking.

crossy1686

career ending
I think considering my personal circumstances I'm pretty confident what it would take for me to become an ambassador for a country which criminalises being lgbt. You're free to tell me I'm wrong on that, but I wouldn't say to someone who turned down becoming an ambassador for a country that practiced apartheid for personal reasons that they never know until the money is in front of them. I wouldn't say to a Jewish person that they have no idea if they would or wouldn't know if they'd become an ambassador for a country that celebrated the holocaust until the money was in front of them.

"you can't possibly imagine how you would react when presented with that amount of money."

Yet you're perfectly happy to imagine how people would react to that amount of money, despite having no idea who or what they are, based on how you would react? Interesting logic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I never said it would make you a sell out. The sole argument I've made is against your Not a single person on this forum wouldn't do the same for that money, in fact a lot of you would do worse.

So whatever the feck that paragraph has to do with anything? I don't know, but it sure as feck has nothing to do with anything I've said or argued.

I'm trying hard to be civil here. I haven't once called you greedy. I haven't even implied anything of the sort to you. Read my messages to you, I'm hoping you made a genuine error while you misread my posts.

I haven't made a single presumption about you. You've made plenty of me, but I haven't made a single one about you.
I hear you, but imagine the good some of that money could do for the LGBT community? Particularly those who are trapped there and genuinely can't be the people they really are. All you would have to do is turn up once a year, meet a sheik, pose for some pictures and do a couple of speeches. Once the contract is up you can tear them down from the inside. You can always make anonymous donations to any cause you wish to.

We've done quite a bit of to and fro-ing here so let's both agree on the fact that we don't know how we, or anyone, would react if faced with the genuine amount of money in question here, and it's unfair to expect others to act in the way we may if we had said opportunity.

What I'm suggesting is that most would take the money due to the life changing nature of that amount for whatever reason, however, in my opinion the amount of good (or bad) you could do with that money if you had a plan for it, instead of thinking it would just sit in a Vanguard account accruing 4% a year, is unlimited, and to say you would turn it down when you could genuinely help people and change lives, I believe is short sighted due to the nature of the place it comes from. The Qataris and Saudis own most of the property in London, and god knows what else, we give them more than we will ever know so taking some back isn't an issue in my opinion.

Anyway, I can see that this is a sensitive topic for you so I'll leave it at that.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

He can do a lot of good without this money.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Not a single person on this forum wouldn't do the same for that money, in fact a lot of you would do worse.
This is the dumbest statement I've read on the internet this year.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
We don't know that most of his cash flow isn't tied up in Inter Miami or whatever other financial liabilities he may have. Nor do we know what he'll use this money for.
Right, what we do know he's that he's accepting money to help whitewash a disgusting regime. If someone brings up what he can do with the money, I think it's fair to say he could come up with better ways to get money for a good cause.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I live in Dubai, so I can't complain. I work in Doha sometimes with my company so I can't exactly criticize him. I guarantee if any one of you were offered 1% of that to promote the World Cup, you'd be on the first flight to Doha decked in full local outfit, learning Arabic on Rosetta Stone on the flight over.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Because you can impact much more lives and much more causes if you have money than if you don't.
But he has money, and I bet it would be really easy for him to get money in different ways to fund this worthy cause people seem to be suggesting he's going to use the money for.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I hear you, but imagine the good some of that money could do for the LGBT community? Particularly those who are trapped there and genuinely can't be the people they really are. All you would have to do is turn up once a year, meet a sheik, pose for some pictures and do a couple of speeches. Once the contract is up you can tear them down from the inside. You can always make anonymous donations to any cause you wish to.

We've done quite a bit of to and fro-ing here so let's both agree on the fact that we don't know how we, or anyone, would react if faced with the genuine amount of money in question here, and it's unfair to expect others to act in the way we may if we had said opportunity.

What I'm suggesting is that most would take the money due to the life changing nature of that amount for whatever reason, however, in my opinion the amount of good (or bad) you could do with that money if you had a plan for it, instead of thinking it would just sit in a Vanguard account accruing 4% a year, is unlimited, and to say you would turn it down when you could genuinely help people and change lives, I believe is short sighted due to the nature of the place it comes from. The Qataris and Saudis own most of the property in London, and god knows what else, we give them more than we will ever know so taking some back isn't an issue in my opinion.

Anyway, I can see that this is a sensitive topic for you so I'll leave it at that.
I get what you’re saying. My problem with this topic isn’t that Beckham would take the money, or that people hypothetically would, like you said there’s a lot of good you could do with the money and you could make an argument against any country or company. It was solely the amount of posters saying that nobody would turn it down. There’s stuff I’ve done for money that people on here would absolute find immoral, so this isn’t coming from some absolute moral standpoint. But like everyone else I have my own characteristics and perceptions, and we all experience the world in a different way. And to some extent those saying they couldn’t believe anyone would turn it down felt like a dismissal of those struggles, even if not intended.

But I’m happy to leave it there too, I think we’ve both said our piece and we both understand each other better.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
There's plenty of outrage about Man City, PSG, Newcastle, etc.

And again, there's a big difference between being an employee of a company that has a shady owner somewhere on the other side of the world and actually working with the bad guys directly to make them look good.

It's one thing to be a labourer on an oil rig, it's another going around telling the whole world how great oil mining is for the world.
Becks is being paid to promote the World Cup, not to be Quatar's new Minister of tourism, so using your analogy he's not going around telling the whole world how great oil mining is, he's more like the spokesperson/face of the oil company's ping pong tournament that's being broadcasted world wide.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Becks is being paid to promote the World Cup, not to be Quatar's new Minister of tourism, so using your analogy he's not going around telling the whole world how great oil mining is, he's more like the spokesperson/face of the oil company's ping pong tournament that's being broadcasted world wide.
Yeah, please get your facts straight before you make a comment.

He's being paid 150 million to become an ambassador for the country for ten years.

He'll obviously be the face of their WC campaign, but after that, he will be promoting tourism and culture.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yeah, please get your facts straight before you make a comment.

He's being paid 150 million to become an ambassador for the country for ten years.

He'll obviously be the face of their WC campaign, but after that, he will be promoting tourism and culture.
Well that's what I get for reading the OP I guess. My bad.

Statue of Limitations

For a $150m I would get a Liverpool crest tattoo on one arse cheek and a City on on the other!
insane money, not sure any of us would turn it down

lawliet354

I didn't defend any club or country.

KdB's employer is ManCity and who owns that club :lol:

Like I said, selective outrage.
Happens all the time. You can already guess most of the posts whenever this kind of topic is brought up. That's just the way it is, people (especially on the internet) like to loudly decline something on moral grounds while quietly accepting something just as bad somewhere else, except now with some smug moral superiority

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Let's be real, 95%+ of people would do this if offered it.