David Beckham's retiring

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Did he gain enough appearances for PSG to get a medal?
Yes, apparently in France there's no rules relating to a number of appearances: the club is declared champion, and all the players get a medal. So yeah, he won the French league on top of the English one, Spanish and American. He's the first English player to win a league title in 4 different countries.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
How can any United fan who saw Beckham between 98-01 doubt he was world class.
This.

Best crosser of the ball ever.
This, probably.

Wish they had concrete assists stats back in the 90s.

I'm convinced Beckham was averaging between 15-20 goals+assists for us every season until he finally left. Probably even more.

Phenomenal player for us.
I think he had 26 assists in the treble year if that helps.

Shark

@NotShark
Have a happy retirement Dave, and thanks for the amazing childhood memories. A United legend for sure!

teague

Wish they had concrete assists stats back in the 90s.

I'm convinced Beckham was averaging between 15-20 goals+assists for us every season until he finally left. Probably even more.

Phenomenal player for us.
http://www.premiersoccerstats.com/epl.html has them for league games.

Code:
		Apps	Gls	Ass	G+A	Per Game
1994/95	 	4	0	2	2	 0.50 
1995/96	 	33	7	10	17	 0.52 
1996/97	 	35	8	14	22	 0.63 
1997/98	 	37	9	24	33	 0.89 
1998/99	 	34	6	22	28	 0.82 
1999/00	 	31	6	33	39	 1.26 
2000/01	 	31	9	18	27	 0.87 
2001/02	 	28	11	16	27	 0.96 
2002/03	 	31	6	13	19	 0.61 
Total	 	264	62	152	214	 0.81
His assist rate per game (0.58) is higher than any other premiership player to make more than 50 assists. Considering those figures include his early years when he was well before his peak that is really phenomenal.

At his peak for us (97/98 - 01/02) he scored or made 154 goals in 149 starts (161 appearances). I would be very surprised if any other midfielder has been that productive for that length of time in the premiership. At his peak Frank Lampard managed about 0.9 goals or assists per start for an extended number of years. Fabregas was at 0.94 in his last five years at Arsenal. I am struggling to think of any midfielder other than Beckham who might have been at over 1 per game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Great player for United.

This would register as siginificant to me if I could remember the last time he did anything relevant on a football pitch.

Devil may care

I still wish he'd played his whole senior career here, United legend no doubt, great player and thoroughly good guy, enjoy retirement Becks.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quite astonishing to think ... He left our club about a decade ago.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He really did get his brand out there in fairness.

From Madrid - LA - Milan - Paris.

Missed out on London (although he really tried with that) and Tokyo. But not bad going all the same.

Dante

Average bang
I think a lot of casual fans can only see as far as his celebrity, while a lot of football purists can't see past it. The truth is somewhere in the yadd-yadda...

He was a player with the kinds of attributes you could never get excited about on paper, but the reality is he was so damn good at what he did that you just couldn't ignore his contributions.

I think he'd be a lot higher rated if he'd done a step-over or two during his playing career. But it is kind of impressive how he managed to have such a no-nonsense game on the field and such a full-of-nonsense private life off it.

Goooose

Great banter mate.

I had a lot of misplaced anger towards Beckham when he left, but I was just gutted he wasn't going to play for United any more. He was a phenomenal footballer and a great professional, not to mention the work he does outside of playing. I wish him all the best for his retirement.

Sam

Really should have stayed at United his whole career. And I think deep down, he will have regrets about what happened that ultimately led to his departure.

Btw, those stats are ridiculous. 33 assists in 1 season? Thats outrageous.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I used to think he was over rated because of my 'green' tinted glasses I.E Keane, in fairness I was only 11 or 12 when he left us.

Now when I look back at old matches it's so obvious how much of a talent he was, amazing player.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Any football purist worth their salt will know quality when they see it. Undoubtedly a world class footballer, his crossing was the best in the world, his set pieces were stunning but aside from that in open play he was a top notch footballer, amazing first touch, excellent decision-making on the ball and an indefatigable work-rate... his off the pitch career has led to many undermining what he done on it and he himself is to blame for not making the right choices for the benefit of his playing career but no doubt in my mind if he chose or was able to see out his career at United, this loss would be much mourned.

He was just as prominent as Scholes and Giggs during his peak years at this club and whilst he'd not have started over Ronaldo, he'd have got plenty of games regardless in our sides Post-Beckham and a useful elder statesman to have around. Just a shame he and Fergie couldn't see eye to eye as on the pitch he was only ever memorable for ourselves.

lapassion

One of my all time favourite players. I absolutely loved him when he played for us.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Will always hold him close to my heart. Legend of the highest order, both on and off the pitch.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What a professional he has been over the last two decades. One of my all time favorite Reds and a legend!

Waltraute

She-Devil
People who care enough about Beckham's silly Tatler shenanigans to slate him must be totally oblivious to the beauty of great crossing or set-pieces.

A true legend, a true Cockney Red.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
He is a footballing legend no doubt, but there is plenty of doubt and debate as to whether he is deserving of the recognition of be remembered as a Manchester United legend.
Agreed.

For a player who had no pace, couldn't really head a ball, and only really had a right foot (not matter how good), he doesn't fall into the LEGEND status.

Kanchelskis for me, was a much more complete player on the right wing than Beckham.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Agreed.

For a player who had no pace, couldn't really head a ball, and only really had a right foot (not matter how good), he doesn't fall into the LEGEND status.

Kanchelskis for me, was a much more complete player on the right wing than Beckham.
You don't base 'legendary' status on someone's limitations, surely it is about what you can do and your deeds... is Gary Neville not a club icon due to the fact he was a limited player in comparison to say a Cafu? He was an influential figure during what remains the greatest year in British Club Football history and he was outstanding in the majority of the late 90/early00's era.

Legend is a strong word to be fair as this club has produced the likes of George Best/Bobby Charlton but he's without doubt one of the greats and a significant player in our history, an icon for this club. I'd argue there should be a distinction between Club Great and a higher tier for Legend.

Best, Charlton.. are indisputable legends, Giggs and Scholes too, 2 x CL winners and one club men who've bled red through and through.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Agreed.

What's the point of this?
Who didn't love Kan-Kan?

David Beckham is, and will remain, a legend whether you like it or not, and ask yourself seriously -- could we have won the '99 European Cup final without those corners?

Cristiano_RAFC

Agreed.

Beckham's right foot was the best right foot in the world for years. I'd say that despite of not being particularly great at certain other skills like those you mentioned, his rigth foot was so good and so important for United (his stats back this up) that he is a legend. That legendary right foot of his merits it.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Beckham's right foot was the best right foot in the world for years. I'd say that despite of not being particularly great at certain other skills like those you mentioned, his rigth foot was so good and so important for United (his stats back this up) that he is a legend. That legendary right foot of his merits it.
Sorry, but in my opinion, the word legend is banded about far too easily.

To me legend means players like Best, Charlton, Law, Schmeichel, Cantona, Edwards, Gregg etc.

Beckham used what talents he had to great effect, but legend, I don't think so.