David Beckham's retiring

Bread

It is funny how popular he is now, seen Leeds, Liverpool, City and other fans all waxing lyrical about him. One of my real footballing heroes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He probably realised now he doesn't have football, he has to spend more time with his missus.
:lol: judging by that cringey group hugging, all his teammates must feel the same.

Not really a fan of him, but as has been said, he's United legend. Although he played for many big and glamor teams after the move, but his name is always associated with United; in a good way. I'm very proud of him.

JB7

How did the ref just let him take his time, hug every player and take over a minute before getting subbed off? I know it's an emotional moment and all that but rules are rules, right?

He's David fricking Beckham, one of the greatest footballing careers of all time is coming to an end.

I think it's classy that PSG have acknowledged that tonight.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bloody hell Becks, first Fergie now you. I didn't shed a tear like I did for Fergie but watch him put a proper lump in my throat, I could easily have blubber again.

What a guy. I'd push back for him.

LR7

I'm almost immune after the emotional week with SAFs retirement but that was a bit sad. Beckham loves playing football, over and above all of the other celebrity rubbish. He's had a fantastic career and it was classy of the PSG fans to give him such a good send off.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Well earned retirement Becks. Was fortunate enough to meet him a few times in the early days when watching the lads at the cliff. As a youngster as he broke through he will always be my first real idol, Cantona being more of an icon... Hard for a young English lad to try & emulate a crazy Frenchman.

From the goal at Villa Park, (always remember the cup semi vs Chelsea there when he was played in by a shite back pass from Craig Burley) to the non stop screamers he was hitting early in 96/97... Always destined to be a star. Aside from all the celebrity circus, noone can dispute how influential he was for us between 98-02... For me losing him more so than Keane against Deportivo cost us the trophy that year.

Wish he'd ended a red, but what a man. For an ex United youngster to become a national and world icon is something we should be proud of.

acrebo

It did feel a bit odd to me watching it unfold. I, understandably?, compare it to Scholes and the way in which he has slipped into retirement and think it all feels a bit melodramatic.

The guy's a legend though and seeing it really hit home in his own mind when he realised that this was the end of Beckham as a footballer was pretty inspiring.

Shame it couldn't have been an Old Trafford crowd that could give him that send-off.

LR7

Scholes would like it no other way though. If he could have slipped off with nobody noticing he'd have been happy. Ed Chamberlin asked Gary Neville what would be going through Scholesy's mind during the game with the ovation and everything and Gary said probably getting home and having a Chinese!

Beckham is the opposite of Scholes in terms of spotlight and attention. I don't think that send off was OTT though. He's has a fantastic career and it looked to me like it just really hit him what ending it would mean.

NewDawnFades

Scored some of the best goals I've ever seen at Old Trafford. Sort of annoying bloke. And a great United player, though Fergie probably got it right to sell when he did. But since that decision he's been an important player at every club he's been at, and been a popular and positive influence in the dressing room, winning things every where he went and providing for strikers. His record stands up as a super successful career and was unique in a generation of English players who stayed in the Premier League, but the Galaxy move always will hurt the way he is seen and the kind of players he can be compared to.

If Beckham had stayed in Europe and racked up Giggs or Scholes' numbers, where would be have ranked? Even the most blinkered Beckham critic would be putting him in the top 1000, that's for sho.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I wonder why he's not playing in the last game. Maybe he wanted to bow out in front of the home crowd.

He deserves all the plaudits he gets
When asked if he would play, he said "we'll see", but the pitch at Lorient is artificial grass (plastic pitch) and he ruptured his Achilles on one of those a few years ago. He explained that it's not great for him to play on those for his Achilles, which could explain it. And last night was a nice send-off, perfect way to bow out.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Gary Neville must be working overtime with all the United related retirements this month

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We used to have Beckham as our number 7. Now we have Valencia :(

Godfather

We used to have Beckham as our number 7. Now we have Valencia :(
Will you ever stop? Seen you post in 3 different threads now. In everyone you post the same wanna-be cheeky dumb shit and try to look clever. Leave it man.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
What will he do now? Sit around the house and bend it?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
looking at the likes of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (probably due to injury), and all other greats retiring at early 30s to enjoy their paycheck makes me appreciated Beckham more, for all his fame and fortune his passion for football long outlives many players.

38 when he retires, and still plays for a top club (not some rich club in china/russia)

He was and always is my favorite player... ever (yes, beating Ronaldo to it)

There's just something magical about his passion on the field, something you don't get to see anymore in the football pitch, when he dishes those goals back then, you can really see fire of passion burning in him

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
looking at the likes of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (probably due to injury), and all other greats retiring at early 30s to enjoy their paycheck makes me appreciated Beckham more, for all his fame and fortune his passion for football long outlives many players.

38 when he retires, and still plays for a top club (not some rich club in china/russia)
I think you're forgetting Beckham played for LA Galaxy for 5 years, leaving Europe in his early 30's to do so...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just reading a book by Rinus Michels and he has quite a few things to say about David Beckham. Considering his status as one of the World's greatest ever managers/coaches - it's very telling what he particularly thought of Beck's (especially when you remember that this guy has coached some of the all time greats).

A great many teams have problems finding the right players for the positions on the outside of the field. Often times, they started as midfielders or backs, and now they have to be able to beat a man on the outside and deliver a good cross. These players are very hard to find. In the Netherlands, when the 4-3-3 system is chosen the true wing forwards need to learn to play their defensive role. For that matter, it is easier to teach this to the forward than to teach a midfielder or defender the tasks of an outside attacker. This is logical because it is easier to develop such a defensive quality than a build-up quality. A type of player such as Beckham of Manchester United is worth a ton of money. He is the perfect outside player and an outstanding midfielder.
On a few players master the technique to cross a ball with 'feeling'. The cross is often not delivered correctly because the outside attacker loses the oversight of the situation, and/or lacks the technical qualities. One of the most difficult ingredients of the attacking game is to deliver a good cross. He has to be able to oversee a situation in which players are moving around in a split second to give the cross. This is extremely difficult! The defensive pressure on this player and his speed are usually high, still he has to remain calm when he delivers the cross. Just think of the importance of the crosses given by Beckham while at world class United
Earlier on in this book I mentioned that even at the top level the quality of the crosses technically and tactically (the correct moment) is often very poor. David Beckham of Manchester United shows in every game how it should be done. He is in a class of his own. This skill should be developed during the training sessions of players age 16-18. It is tough enough just getting a flank player in a position to cross the ball at the top level. Thus it is very frustrating that a large number of crosses fail to reach a teammate.

ricky-romeo

sir alex ferguson used beckham on his right wing for about 8 seasons. could have been more if not for their bust up.

fabio capello used him, ancelotti seems to rate him, even during the latter stages of his career(AC Milan of course, the move to PSG is all about branding imo, no offence to david).

no matter what people say about becks, the reality is that at his peak, he was a world class footballer.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Rinus Michels said:
Earlier on in this book I mentioned that even at the top level the quality of the crosses technically and tactically (the correct moment) is often very poor. David Beckham of Manchester United shows in every game how it should be done. He is in a class of his own. This skill should be developed during the training sessions of players age 16-18. It is tough enough just getting a flank player in a position to cross the ball at the top level. Thus it is very frustrating that a large number of crosses fail to reach a teammate..

For me this is the most interesting part of what Michels says. I reckon over the last 10-15 years training has focused more on short interplay on the deck and, in doing so, has reduced the emphasis on classic wing-play and crossing. As a result and generally across the board, short passing has improved, but crossing quality has declined.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Great player after he left United he never played that well again. I don't think he was even pushed out from what I read. But enjoy your retirement David you have earned it.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
For me this is the most interesting part of what Michels says. I reckon over the last 10-15 years training has focused more on short interplay on the deck and, in doing so, has reduced the emphasis on classic wing-play and crossing. As a result and generally across the board, short passing has improved, but crossing quality has declined.
I think this impacted strikers' heading abilities as well. We used to have so many greatly talented strikers in the air like Crespo or Zamorano, today that quality seems to have waned.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think this impacted strikers' heading abilities as well. We used to have so many greatly talented strikers in the air like Crespo or Zamorano, today that quality seems to have waned.

With the likes of C. Ronaldo, Falcao & Lewandowski on the scene, there's still room for great headers of the ball but there is a lack of depth. Like we've often said, football goes in cycles .. I think the recent CL illustrated that crossing and a traditional Centre-Forward are still very important in the game and that teams of the future will need to combine possession football with the ability to be dangerous from the flanks with wingers who are capable of cutting in to score goals as well as being able to go round the outside and whip in balls of quality. The more unpredictable a team is with it's method of scoring goals the more difficult that team is in theory to stop.. Barca have only been able to score goals through central area's and whilst it has reaped dividend in the past, there are teams out there with strong enough midfield's to suffocate that part of the pitch.