David Brooks

Rolaholic

40m pounds is mad when he's coming off injury and on a relegated side...

Chief123

I think this would be a better signing for you than Grealish. Would be happy being a squad player, would be much cheaper and I think he's just as talented.

EDIT: If he's brought into be backup for Bruno/Rashford/New RW I don't know why anyone would be against this - he's far better than Lingard and Pereira.
That’s all good and well if that was the case. But knowing Glazers, it’s probably an alternative to Sancho.

RUCK4444

40m pounds is mad
Is that what they want? FFS.

This is what I mean, you sign a couple of gambles like this at 40, 50 million and by the time you've wasted another two years and a load of wages we might as well have just bought Sancho and had a guaranteed improvement to the starting 11.

I'll be devastated if we don't sign Sancho and pay that sort of money for Brooks or somebody on a similar level.

sp_107

I would give another year as not sure how he will be after coming back from such an horrific injury. We need 3/4 "hit the ground running" players who can push our first XI players

G_and_T

I really hope it's true. Yes he was injured last year but he is a talented player and doesn't seem to have the behaviour issues that Grealish has. I think Mata and Andreas are leaving and we need a really good back up in CM.

Havak

Pokemon master
Echoing the thoughts of most on the Caf.

Replacement to Andreas/Lingard / Cheaper Alternative to Grealish = Good

Cheaper Alternative to Sancho = Bad

Needs to be at a reasonable fee though, I would expect him to be bought for closer to the money we bought Daniel James for as I think they could end up at a quite similar level. £15-25m~, otherwise I'd hope we walk away.

Chief123

Knowing the Glazers? How often have we ended up taking the cheaper option? The narrative on here is us usually over paying for our top targets.
Obertan, Owen, Valencia the summer we sold Ronaldo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This is what I mean, you sign a couple of gambles like this at 40, 50 million and by the time you've wasted another two years and a load of wages we might as well have just bought Sancho and had a guaranteed improvement to the starting 11.

I'll be devastated if we don't sign Sancho and pay that sort of money for Brooks or somebody on a similar level.
where is this 40m valuation?

fps

It's obviously not intended as a statement signing, though. I imagine the fee would be somewhere between £20-30m, and he'd be coming in to replace Pereira/Mata as an option from the bench and challenge Greenwood (and James, though he obviously isn't considered a starter). Regardless of whether or not we get Sancho, we need better options from the bench. Not every signing is a Sancho or a Bruno.

That being said, I'm extremely apprehensive about bringing in a player that just missed 11 months through serious injury.
Yes for sure. Without a number one target coming off it’s all a bit Fellaini 2013 to my mind!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Manchester United are yet to make official contact with Bournemouth winger David Brooks but could make a serious bid, as their attempts to sign Jadon Sancho continue to stall.

MEN Sport understands Brooks has been on United's radar for some time and could be attainable for around £40million this summer, with the Cherries needing to sell players after their relegation from the Premier League.

Whether or not Brooks would be signed as a direct 'Sancho alternative' remains to be seen. United's negotiations with Dortmund over top target Sancho have hit a stumbling block, though United chiefs have not given up on signing Sancho despite the German club's 'deadline' for a sale now having passed.

As MEN Sport reported in May, Brooks and Bournemouth teammate Josh King were both being targeted by United as possible summer options, though the latter was only in case Odion Ighalo's loan was not extended.

Now it appears the 23-year-old is a firm target but there have been no talks yet between United and the player's representatives.

Brooks has impressed at the Vitality Stadium, though missed a large chunk of last season through injury. It is thought Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could seek the advice of former Old Trafford teammate Ryan Giggs, who manages Brooks at international level for Wales. Solskjaer consulted Giggs on the signing of fellow Welshman Daniel James a year ago.

theklr

If it's any truth to that we are looking at him, £40 mill. is just the first price which is always higher than the real price.

Happens with all our transfers.

NoMidfielders

Incredible that all of this has spawned from a sport witness rumour (presumably direct fed by an agent looking to move Brooks on) and a MEN report. Fans are in hysterics on twitter before a single decent journalist has even mentioned his name.

LonelyFire

Incredible that all of this has spawned from a sport witness rumour (presumably direct fed by an agent looking to move Brooks on) and a MEN report. Fans are in hysterics on twitter before a single decent journalist has even mentioned his name.
For what it’s worth, Mail now running it as their own story as well.

I don’t think it’s that far fetched - by all accounts, we were interested last summer but thought the valuation was too high.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Can anyone explain why there is uproar about this online, especially twitter? I get that you want to sign Sancho but that has nothing to do with this does it? I just know that if this transfer was to happen (looks like a rumour more than anything) Brooks would get hyped up massively after a few games.

If it’s a decision between him and Grealish then he’s a cheap alternative. Villa will want a ridiculous fee. Seems crazy to me to see people blasting Brooks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hardly a reputable source is it? Strettynews for fecks sake! What a load of nonsense. It might be true, but they know less than nothing.
The initial source for this appears to be Sports Witness? Don’t think we’ll be in for him.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brooks is a talent but if he’s being bought as a Sancho alternative he’ll get the Fellaini treatment imo. He’ll be slated constantly unless he comes in and performs right away.

LonelyFire

Can anyone explain why there is uproar about this online, especially twitter? I get that you want to sign Sancho but that has nothing to do with this does it? I just know that if this transfer was to happen (looks like a rumour more than anything) Brooks would get hyped up massively after a few games.

If it’s a decision between him and Grealish then he’s a cheap alternative. Villa will want a ridiculous fee. Seems crazy to me to see people blasting Brooks.
Knowing Utd, it is an alternative to Sancho - it wouldn’t be in addition. That’s the concern.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Twitter is a cesspit - this place isn’t much better on times mind

Mainoldo

I’ve changed my mind. I like the player but I actually don’t like the transfer. Just shows how we are not utilising our scouts and shows a crap transfer committee. So hopefully not true.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Brooks would represent a quality depth option. We need players who can be trusted to make a difference from the bench with the capacity to improve and push the starting players. We currently have people like Lingard, Mata and Andreas who offer nothing other than being three bodies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I’ve changed my mind. I like the player but I actually don’t like the transfer. Just shows how we are not utilising our scouts and shows a crap transfer committee. So hopefully not true.
We shouldn’t overlook someone just because the scouting team didn’t require utilisation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brooks is very good player, would love to see him playing for us. Not as Sancho alternative but more as our squad option.

Zoo

Get your point but Annie Eaves who runs Sport Witness is a United fan and former journalist with one of the papers. Anyway an agent for a domestic player is hardly going to turn to Sport Witness to drum up some interest.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
£40m is still overpriced but I suppose would be half of what Grealish would cost.

There’s absolutely feck all in this link anyway. Both the MEN and SW articles are rubbish.

Last edited:

NoMidfielders

For what it’s worth, Mail now running it as their own story as well.

I don’t think it’s that far fetched - by all accounts, we were interested last summer but thought the valuation was too high.
I agree that it's not too far fetched by any means, but until someone reliable confirms anything is advanced I do think this level of backlash is unwarranted. If it happens, I would be concerned that this is the only attacking signing we'd make (knowing this club) and it would make us not competing for Ferran Torres at sub 30m look very strange.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
True. But it’s very concerning especially if the value is overpriced.
What sort of fee is being reported for Brooks? Given that Bournemouth got relegated I think there could be good value in him. I personally quite like the guy, even before reading about this link. He’s a flexible forward player, nice technically, and would be an upgrade on the likes of Mata, Lingard and Andreas with the capacity to improve. We have struggled badly post the restart with being unable to bring good back ups into the line up and give our front line players a proper breather.

NoMidfielders

Get your point but Annie Eaves who runs Sport Witness is a United fan and former journalist with one of the papers. Anyway an agent for a domestic player is hardly going to turn to Sport Witness to drum up some interest.
I respect Sport Witness for what they do but as far as I know they've only ever published their own info a handful of times and I'm not sure anything they've "broken" has turned out to be accurate. I highly doubt they've made this up by any means but I reckon if this was as serious as that article made out then the usual suspects (stone, ducker, peach etc.) would have said something by now as I'm sure they'll have been enquiring this morning. We'll see.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

It's interesting how the reaction compares to when we're linked with centre backs people have barely heard of never mind seen play. Suddenly they become a 'must buy'.

Mihai

Some transfer "expert" on the caf came up with this figure and everyone takes it for granted now. There's no evidence that they want 40 million.

Rolaholic

The 40m figure comes from MEN which I agree should always be taken with a grain of salt

Would still be a bit much for a squad option if true, feel the same way about Grealish but we do have expensive squad options at the moment tbf :lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If it's 40m, then it should be very performance based, with a base fee of about 20-25.

Of course, even if the deal is now completed for 8m, it'll be reported everywhere as 40m+

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember when 40m got you Sergio Aguero?

Regardless, an actual right-sided forward to play as a right-sided forward. Who needs a DoF, we've finally cracked it!

Narrator: But United did not crack it, and Mason Greenwood started the season on the right-wing, got injured in week three and was replaced by Juan Mata.

Devil may care

Is he currently injured? This is a barrel scraper situation, i suspect his nationalty and the fact he's played in the PL play a part. If we are looking for a cheap, relegated, PL tested squad winger then I'd rather we went for Buendia, neither are worth more than £20M though. The club don't want to stump up for a generational talent so hopefully they are as resolute with Brooks and we don't pay £30M plus for an average player.