David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

manusteve

Completely disagree, there were points when the lad looked so nervous that he didnt even want to be there.

He had to be taken out for his own good and had Lindegaard not got injured may not be back in the side yet.
You think De Gea looked nervous in some games? I think he is very calm. I think you can point out technical faults but questioning his nerves I think is misjudged.

Having a keeper with apparent bravado does not necessarily make him a good goalkeeper.

Ace

I thought he looked very composed and confident today. Our defense is certainly doing everything they can to make it difficult for him. Lose passes and way too many needles fouls coming from our backfield this year.

Nathan

I thought that he had another good game last night. Made some good saves, was unlucky with there first goal, could only have seen the shot very late. Good relex save, if that had gone in then we would have been finished.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I thought he played well.

But I do think his lack of presence in the area is making the jobs that little bit difficult for our defenders. He's obviously unsure of when to go out and claim the ball. A couple of corners yesterday he started to come for the ball, only to withdraw. Could have led to a goal on both occasions.

He needs to sort it out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think there has been a huge improvement. As someone said his distribution is fantastic, that kick was like a pass. He is also starting to order his defense about, which is good. If they are listening is a different matter.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I thought he played well.

But I do think his lack of presence in the area is making the jobs that little bit difficult for our defenders. He's obviously unsure of when to go out and claim the ball. A couple of corners yesterday he started to come for the ball, only to withdraw. Could have led to a goal on both occasions.

He needs to sort it out.
I know its not the same, but during the warm up he was doing crossing practise with Steele and Amos. Steele was crossing and Amos was attacking the ball. De Gea came out and took every single catch, didn't see him miss one. Obviously not the same but he can definately claim crosses under pressure. Just needs a bit more confidence and maybe work on his physical presence.

marjen

I know its not the same, but during the warm up he was doing crossing practise with Steele and Amos. Steele was crossing and Amos was attacking the ball. De Gea came out and took every single catch, didn't see him miss one. Obviously not the same but he can definately claim crosses under pressure. Just needs a bit more confidence and maybe work on his physical presence.
I think it's mainly a confidence issue. I'm sure he's got the ability to go and catch crosses, but he's unsure of himself, probably due to the couple of situations where's he's made mistakes.

He's only a young lad, so it'll come to him, but he still needs to sort it out.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I really really like him, think he's going to be a really top class keeper. His recent performances only confirm this for me, don't want to see him dropped in favour of Lindegaard upon his return.

Stretch

It's not the same though is it? It is something he needs to work on. He needs to 'bulk up' over summer. Yeah, it's cliche but true in this case. I think he feels physically intimated at times and opposing strikers know this. I've got faith though, he'll get there.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
No it isn't, but it proves he isn't the butter fingers people think he is. Nowhere near the same but in a low pressure situation he was making the catches with ease (low pressure as in it was training, Amos was putting him under pressure). In terms of mentality he has shown himself to be strong. It's more a case of a young player who is inexperienced having an area of his game that he needs to work on which I believe will come with time.

The good thing is he is very good, but has the room to improve, mentality and skills to become world class.

marjen

patience? maybe?
Well, obviously - but I'm still allowed to point out that he's got to make improvements in his command of the area. Surely you agree?

I'm in the "let him be first choice-keeper"-camp, I don't particularly like rotating goalkeepers. As expected it's been a tough acid test for our David this season, but I think he'll improve.

It annoys me that people jump on posters whenever someone points out something that can and should be improved in a player's skillset though. And he needs to gather confidence and start claiming balls into the box.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Not sure if its been mentioned at all on here but i had a bit of doubt for the 2nd goal whether he should have came for it. I havn't seen any replays since so can anyone clear this up? It seemed like the ball travelled quite a long way and the header was from very close to the goal.

Other than that, i thought he looked very assured.

marjen

Not sure if its been mentioned at all on here but i had a bit of doubt for the 2nd goal whether he should have came for it. I havn't seen any replays since so can anyone clear this up? It seemed like the ball travelled quite a long way and the header was from very close to the goal.

The goal was offside, plus three players were unmarked - I'd look elsewhere for the mistake on that occasion.

However, a corner in the first half had him stranded, luckily Jones managed to get something on the ball as De Gea was out of position due to not deciding whether to come for that ball. On another occasion, De Gea threw himself at the ball which resulted in the ball bouncing freely 5 yards out - he was bailed out by Rafael that time.

Edmeiste

Well, obviously - but I'm still allowed to point out that he's got to make improvements in his command of the area. Surely you agree?

I'm in the "let him be first choice-keeper"-camp, I don't particularly like rotating goalkeepers. As expected it's been a tough acid test for our David this season, but I think he'll improve.

It annoys me that people jump on posters whenever someone points out something that can and should be improved in a player's skillset though. And he needs to gather confidence and start claiming balls into the box.
I'm not knocking you for saying he needs to improve in that aspect. It's blatantly obvious. It's the fact that you've said it multiple times today that's just made me raise my eyebrow. Maybe I'm being harsh but you would think that a 20 year old keeper at United has room for improvement. It doesn't need to be reiterated. We're lucky to even have a keeper so well developed so young.

Edmeiste

if he had come out and missed left an open goal, people would have been fuming. cursed if you dont. cursed if you do. It didn help that 3 Ajax players just ran past our defenders like it was nothing and were literally unmarked . It was annoying to see

marjen

I'm not knocking for saying he needs to improve in that aspect. It's blatantly obvious. It's the fact that you've said it multiple times today that's just made me raise my eyebrow. Maybe I'm being harsh but you would think that a 20 year old keeper at United has room for improvement. It doesn't need to be reiterated. We're lucky to even have a keeper so well developed so young.
I commented on a post mentioning crosses in warm-ups, saying that I was sure he had the ability, he just needed the confidence.

You can raise your eyebrows all you want.

Edmeiste

I commented on a post mentioning crosses in warm-ups, saying that I was sure he had the ability, he just needed the confidence.

You can raise your eyebrows all you want.
Yes so basically he's going to improve and better adjust to this style of football. I dont have a problem with what you said necessarily but the way you said it. Came across as a bit strong for something that we all know.

To you, it may seem petty but honestly, taken all that we've ever discussed about DDG, what have you said that's been anything remotely new? (as in new insight)

marjen

Yes so basically he's going to improve and better adjust to this style of football. I dont have a problem with what you said necessarily but the way you said it. Came across as a bit strong for something that we all know.

To you, it may seem petty but honestly, taken all that we've ever discussed about DDG, what have you said that's been anything remotely new? (as in new insight)
I was commenting on a post. The next time I'm posting something, I'll make sure to ask you if you think it contains new insight. Like your post I'm quoting right now does, I'm sure.

The way I said it? What, that he HAS to improve on it? Well obviously he has to, we can't have a keeper playing that's not got the confidence to deal with crosses or corners, so I don't think it's particularly strong to suggest that he has to improve on it?

Ferguson certaintly thought so, as he benched De Gea for Lindegaard after the Spaniard failed to deal with a straight-forward-ball against Blackburn.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
In front of a back 4 that includes Vidic and Ferdinand most of the time, he will flourish. The defenders in front of him this season havent made it easy for him and he's had to do a lot more work in crowded situations that we wouldve liked. A solid back 4, playing week in week out will give him more protection and confidence, and will make the decisions easier.

marjen

In front of a back 4 that includes Vidic and Ferdinand most of the time, he will flourish. The defenders in front of him this season havent made it easy for him and he's had to do a lot more work in crowded situations that we wouldve liked. A solid back 4, playing week in week out will give him more protection and confidence, and will make the decisions easier.
Hmm.. I'm not really sure I can see him playing as a defensive midfielder. Although Fergie do seem to think Park can play there, so why not? :angel:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Does anyone else remember a pass of his in the second half which nearly led to a one on one chance for Ashley Young?

What a great pass that was, his distribution is really fantastic.

Edmeiste

I was commenting on a post. The next time I'm posting something, I'll make sure to ask you if you think it contains new insight. Like your post I'm quoting right now does, I'm sure.

The way I said it? What, that he HAS to improve on it? Well obviously he has to, we can't have a keeper playing that's not got the confidence to deal with crosses or corners, so I don't think it's particularly strong to suggest that he has to improve on it?

Ferguson certaintly thought so, as he benched De Gea for Lindegaard after the Spaniard failed to deal with a straight-forward-ball against Blackburn.
The fact that you had to repeat the same comment. As in, 'okay marjen, we get it now'

My thing is if you're coming to repeat something like that, it'd be nice if it was something new. What I'm responding to is the comment you made after Nathan's. THat was in reply to no one but then you went on to same thing later.

Saying something like he needs to sort it out is a bit strong. Of course he's going to sort it out. Might not be as soon as we want but he will sort it out. It's things like that, that make me raise my eyebrow.

marjen

The fact that you had to repeat the same comment. As in, 'okay marjen, we get it now'

My thing is if you're coming to repeat something like that, it'd be nice if it was something new. What I'm responding to is the comment you made after Nathan's. THat was in reply to no one but then you went on to same thing later.

Saying something like he needs to sort it out is a bit strong. Of course he's going to sort it out. Might not be as soon as we want but he will sort it out. It's things like that, that make me raise my eyebrow.
It's a forum. If we're not posting arguments and opinions, what are we then doing? I'm not going to not comment on something just because you think the wording of an opinion you agree with is a bit strong, mate. :smirk:

sparky

Hmm.. I'm not really sure I can see him playing as a defensive midfielder. Although Fergie do seem to think Park can play there, so why not? :angel:
Hey, when Pally, O'Shea and Ferdinand have had spells playing upfront why not? We could always loan O'Shea back and stick him in goal. :)

Edmeiste

Fine by me marjen, I'm just bringing into question the necessity of it and the fact you repeated that same vein of thought. I understand it's a forum and everyone has your opinions but it's equally annoying when people reverberate the same thing over and over.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Twice in as many weeks, the ball has hit him on the head before going into the goal. I'm not saying he won't end up being a good keeper, but he sure as hell is far from the finished article......Needs to improve massively.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Twice in as many weeks, the ball has hit him on the head before going into the goal. I'm not saying he won't end up being a good keeper, but he sure as hell is far from the finished article......Needs to improve massively.
What? He had no chance of saving that 2nd goal.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think even a 5th grader knows he ain't a finished article. He made one brilliant save in the 2nd half to stop them from scoring but the last goal was a tougher save than that because it was closer and it was coming at him even faster. Don't blame everything on him, what was the defense doing?

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
The guy was 4 yards out. fecking hell
Agreed! Channel 5 said it as well and I sat there thinking - ok ignore the fact it was from 2 yards out, ignore the fact that both Nani and Fabio didn't track their men leaving Evans to deal with 4 men on his own, and just blame De Gea!

This was especially apparent from Collymore, both on this matter and his continued muttering at half time "it has a nudge...a little nudge in the back...he nudges him" and laughing like a giddy school girl thinking he was being 'cool' by clearly trying to wind up Utd fans...guess what Stanley, you're paid to be professional, not a dick!

It will be like this until something else comes along, when DDG makes a great save like last nights from their corner, like the ones vs Chelsea, like the ones away and home against lpool in the league and because of a few mistakes it will be like they are shitting themselves at the amazing fact he made a save...I for one will sit here and continue to roll my eyes safe in the knowledge that we have a keeper who may well be the best in the world in a few short years!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Just look at the tracking back. Only Evans got back and he had to cover 3 people. I can't believe people are blaming De Gea for that goal!

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
I just want to post Evans' opinion on de Gea.

"Probably it was a good thing David couldn't speak English at the start," said Evans.

"It seemed like he was coming into training and nothing was affecting him. He was just getting on with his game.

"But it was because he couldn't read or understand what was going on around him. Overall, that was probably better.

"Now his presence is building. The language barrier is being broken down and he is coming out of his shell a bit.

"He has a joke now and is not afraid of getting involved in some of the dressing room chat. That is settling him down."

"David had a big price tag when he came to us during the summer," said Evans. "People had these huge expectations.

"From day one, his shot stopping has been unbelievable. He pulls off saves that are amazing.

"He just needed a bit of confidence. I am sure everyone at Manchester United has been through stages when it has not gone well.

"Then it is down to your character to pull you through."
Good to hear that English is not a problem for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.