David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Since the season's almost over, do people think he's lived up to expectations/exceeded them/failed to live up to them this year?
At first he he failed. But he recovered far better than I thought he would.

Not sure if he would have gotten the chance had Lindegaard not gotten injured.

I still think some fans rate him too high. We need this form for another two seasons before we can start thinking of him as contender for best in the league.

AKDevil

Its pointless trying to compare him to keepers of 20 years ago. No one here is qualified enough to do that unless they watched Buffon/Casillas throughout the season and not just a few games here and there. Keepers can only be judged that way.
20 years ago Italian football was on terrestrial tv more than English football so those who saw Buffon would be.
Mute point really, was just throwing his name in there.
I like DDG, big fan.
Going to be the first keeper I enjoy watching since schmeichel.
Been happy with him. Can see his improvement as season has gone on.
Wherever we finish, he'd have helped us finish that high rather than be a hindrance

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

I still think some fans rate him too high. We need this form for another two seasons before we can start thinking of him as contender for best in the league.
He has only been here for one season, and I don't think anybody is claiming he is the best of anything, apart from maybe his age bracket.

I'm excited to see how he will develop after a strong second half to the season.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
He's my player of the season... It's so hard to replace someone like van der sar. It's gotten to the stage that I just trust him now and his passing is brilliant, a sweeper keeper if ever there was one.

NewDawnFades

Brilliant year for him all in all, overcame a poor start and a ton of pressure to be one of the best keepers in the league. Very glad we signed him so early and Fergie clearly learnt from the struggle of replacing Schmeichel.

Edmeiste

It's more important seeing how he develops than putting him as the best in the league. If he's progressing the right way, then he'll reach that point. For a lad so young, I'm not sure if that should be the focus.

::sonny::

He's my player of the season... It's so hard to replace someone like van der sar. It's gotten to the stage that I just trust him now and his passing is brilliant, a sweeper keeper if ever there was one.
If he has been our player of the season this explain a lot about our season

Humiliated in champions league and europa league. 2 derby lost, 1 with 6 goals suffered at home.

He did a lot of mistakes, his command is appalling. I don't see in him any particular talent.

Maybe i will improve, i dunno

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the

Humiliated in champions league and europa league. 2 derby lost, 1 with 6 goals suffered at home.

He did a lot of mistakes, his command is appalling. I don't see in him any particular talent.

What in the fecketing fecking feck feck?

Yes I hope you do improve

Baxter

:wenger: You don't see any particular talent? :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Sonny's comment may be ridiculous, but it's almost equally as ridiculous to suggest that he's been our best player this season.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Sonny's comment may be ridiculous, but it's almost equally as ridiculous to suggest that he's been our best player this season.
If he said our best player out the new signings, then that wouldn't be such a crazy comment but i'm sure he doesn't actually think ddg was our best player this season.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well the original quote sort of suggested it was just a personal view taking into account other factors such as the enormity of replacing Van Der Sar. He's clearly favouring De Gea over our real players of the year in Rooney and Carrick.

I don't think it is as bad as saying "De Gea isn't any kind of special talent". That was fecking nonsensical.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well the original quote sort of suggested it was just a personal view taking into account other factors such as the enormity of replacing Van Der Sar. He's clearly favouring De Gea over our real players of the year in Rooney and Carrick.

I don't think it is as bad as saying "De Gea isn't any kind of special talent". That was fecking nonsensical.
Maybe not quite as bad, but it's still a pretty bizarre claim to be honest. Even with the enormity of the role and the pressure of replacing VDS, which he has done quite well, he's clearly not been our best player this season.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Very much. A classic case of fans shooting their loads of 3-4 months of good form.

Ridiculous really.

But sonnys post was also silly too

FlawlessThaw

Maybe not quite as bad, but it's still a pretty bizarre claim to be honest. Even with the enormity of the role and the pressure of replacing VDS, which he has done quite well, he's clearly not been our best player this season.
I don't think it is that bizarre either. If an outfield player had performed as well as De Gea had he would be considered as having a good season and given we don't have any standout candidates except unlike when Ronaldo and Vidic won it, there are worse claims out there. Certainly doesn't bear any comparison to what sonny said.

I don't think De Gea has had a worser season than Nani or Valencia have had for example. Although neither would get my vote for player of the season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think it is that bizarre either. If an outfield player had performed as well as De Gea had he would be considered as having a good season and given we don't have any standout candidates except unlike when Ronaldo and Vidic won it, there are worse claims out there. Certainly doesn't bear any comparison to what sonny said.

I don't think De Gea has had a worser season than Nani or Valencia have had for example. Although neither would get my vote for player of the season.
Yes, we do. Wayne Rooney. How would he not be a standout candidate?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He was a total liability before Xmas. We were dropping points because of him.

If we are talking best players in 2012, then he has a case

FlawlessThaw

Yes, we do. Wayne Rooney. How would he not be a standout candidate?
Rooney would get my vote but he was average for a couple of months in the year. When I said standout candidate I was talking as mentioned in the post in comparison to when Vidic and Ronaldo won player of the year. I also think it's a toss up between him and Carrick.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rooney would get my vote but he was average for a couple of months in the year. When I said standout candidate I was talking as mentioned in the post in comparison to when Vidic and Ronaldo won player of the year. I also think it's a toss up between him and Carrick.
He's had bad spells here and there, but overall he's been our clear best player for me. He's arguably been even better than he was in 2010, and he strolled our player of the year that year, and was of of course Premier League player of the year as well.

FlawlessThaw

He was a total liability before Xmas. We were dropping points because of him.

If we are talking best players in 2012, then he has a case
I think we dropped more points under Van Der Sar last season in the league than we did with De Gea this year. Course he was a liability before Xmas but then Valencia didn't have the best of starts to the year and Nani hasn't had much of an impact since Feb. Yet those two will be brought up as having a good season.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I think it hasn't been too bad a first season for him really. I think it is always better to start slowly and get better than the other way round. It at least shows some sort of progression.

If we look at Jones as a contrast, he started great, but got worse over the course of the season. It is harder to assess what stage he has reached because of that i think.

De Gea was disappointing, before getting more and more encouraging throughout the year. Showed good character and mental strength imo, to come through all the scrutiny and force many critics to eat their words.

Still got a lot to do yet though, he is very shaky on crosses and my heart is in my mouth every time i see him come for a cross. So my verdict is an encouraging first season, with plenty of scope to improve. Most encouraging of all imo, he has already proved he has the temperament to handle both the pressure and the criticism.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think we dropped more points under Van Der Sar last season in the league than we did with De Gea this year. Course he was a liability before Xmas but then Valencia didn't have the best of starts to the year and Nani hasn't had much of an impact since Feb. Yet those two will be brought up as having a good season.
I actually dont think Nani has progressed to much at all this season.

Valencia had a lot of injuries early on.

I dont mean to sound harsh on DDG. His turnaround in form has been amazing. Really surprised me. As he looked a nervous wreck previously.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd take Valencia, Carrick and Scholes over Rooney. None of them had slumps of bad form.
What? That's quite ridiculous. Where was Valencia throughout the first half of the season? He certainly wasn't in good form then. No way is he the best player of our season. It's a classic example of fans taking one half of a season into account to say that him, or Dea for that matter, should be considered as our best player this season.

Scholes has been brilliant since his return, however he came back in January. He cannot get the award when he has played in less of half of our games.

Carrick is the main challenger to Rooney, but he's been more consistently good as opposed to incredible throughout the season.

Rooney has been brilliant for us this season, and has won a number of games for us on his own, which can't be said for any other player in our team at all. He's, without doubt, been our best player this season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I actually dont think Nani has progressed to much at all this season.

Valencia had a lot of injuries early on.

I dont mean to sound harsh on DDG. His turnaround in form has been amazing. Really surprised me. As he looked a nervous wreck previously.
I'm like you here. I don't want to sound harsh on De Gea at all because I regard this season as a success for him, because he's progressed throughout the season, has steadily gotten better, and is going to be a top goalkeeper for years to come in my opinion. At the same time though, I still don't agree at all that he's been our best player this year.

FlawlessThaw

Definitely not our best player but done much better than expected and a special talent for sure.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
And my point exactly we don't have an out and out candidate this season.
I think we do. Scholes has been incredible since his return and no other player has done so consistently well in the games they have played. When he came back we were well behind City and showing no real signs of catching them.

We went on to drop only 2 points in the league games he played in until we left him out and got hammered by Wigan. He has saved our season imo, and he at least gave us the chance to win the title, when at Christmas we looked to have no chance at all.

Carrick has also been great this season, performing consistently well week in week out.Considering we have had to cope all season really with only one DM we really needed him to stand up and be counted and tbf to him he certainly did.

Ironic really, that our 2 stand out performers are from our weakest area. Had they more help and others who had performed half as well as those 2 we would have won this league at a canter. We just asked too much of them both in the end, but both can hold their heads high and be proud of the way they played personally this season.

Scots Crusader

Has to go down as, overrall, on par with my expectations. I had high hopes when we signed him, but did have slight doubts when he looked dodgy at times during the first part of the season. But I have to say, his mental attitude has far exceeded my expectations. many a keeper with a lot more experience than him would have buckled under the pressure his earlier performances put him under, but he got through that and deserves huge credit for that.

He has saved us much more points than he has cost, has the potential to be the best there is and has proven he has the mental power to handle the job. Take a bow DDG, a good start to your United career imho.

Ace

:wenger:

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I honestly think he's the highlight of the season... We all know how good Rooney, Valencia and scholesy are but DDG has played under immense pressure and has established himself as our no 1. For me he is the highlight of our season, hence he is my player of the season. Simple really.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I think he's had a very good debut season, all things considered, having Vidic there all season would have helped no end.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I honestly think he's the highlight of the season... We all know how good Rooney, Valencia and scholesy are but DDG has played under immense pressure and has established himself as our no 1. For me he is the highlight of our season, hence he is my player of the season. Simple really.
I don't think he's done any better than expected really. If he'd done worse than he's done then it would've been a disappointing season.

You're reading into the player of the year too much to be honest. It's not who excels the most, or who surprises us the most; it's purely whoever is our best player. De Gea hasn't been that despite the fact that he's had a good season overall and has shown us some very positive signs for the future.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's been exactly what we all thought he'd be, with a few slipups earlier in the season.

Phenomenal shot stopping mixed with uncertain moments on crosses and corners. He's a kid, a scrawny one at that - he'll learn. That said, he's never going to be a commanding keeper - he's just not big enough. We'll have to tailor our defensive game accordingly.

His calm distribution is also great to see, and underappreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.