David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drainy

He was brilliant in the run in.. it was the rest of the team that let us down.

Lindergaard is not as good as de Gea and doesn't have the potential of him, so people rightly don't see the point in using him as anything other than a reserve.

Labelling a player as dodgy after 35 minutes or 1 game is beyond pathetic, obviously I'm going to point out Evra and Vidic who had a shocking debut but both went on to be great players and captains for the club, the press have carried on in the same fashion ever since. Overplaying 'errors', downplaying great play and ignoring hypocrisies where other more favourable goalkeepers do identical things to de Gea and it doesn't get mentioned.

FFS saying we want to sign Reina? the guy has made more mistakes than de Gea over the last year.

The Neviller

Christ kietotheworld, this is getting pretty boring. Every day. Every single day, you're in here spouting the same stuff. We get that you don't rate him, how could we not? Just give it a rest, it's bloody tedious.

Platato

Psst!
I find it so hilarious that kie has devoted so much time to post about a 22 year old keeper. 22!?!?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
kietotheworld really does have an agenda against DDG it seems.

Since really the second half of last season, DDG has easily helped us win far more games than he has cost us with mistakes. He has made a couple here, though seems some people want to try and put the blame on DDG for a well taken goal, when credit should really be given to the striker not calling it a mistake on DDG part.

There have been plenty of periods in games when we are heavily under the pump and its only save after save from DDG that has meant we are still in the game, before we can go on and get the win. The Chelsea game for one really springs to mind as a perfect example of that. DDG is a very good keeper, even more so when you look how young he is. He is our number 1 keeper and will be for quite some time I expect.

Ainu

I just can't comprehend the media reaction to De Gea the last few weeks. They've been on his back in every single game and some even went so far as to fabricate stories about the Old Trafford home crowd doing the same. He made one bad mistake against Swansea where he punched it to a defender when he should have done better. Against Newcastle he did the same but that was from an instinctive save and it would be harsh to call it a mistake.

He's done well this season so far for me. I don't believe for a split second Fergie is even considering getting another keeper in, no matter how many stories the papers pull out of their arses. They've create some sort of alternate universe for themselves it would seem.

adam118

It wound me up last night when I was driving home and talkSPORT did a bloody show on de Gea's future.

It was probably started by some scouse journalist trying to unsettle and put pressure on him before the match this weekend.

Hart has made far more mistakes this season too.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No chance we are getting a new keeper any time soon. Even if we do it would be a replacement backup keeper with Lindegaard leaving, not DDG

dejans

No chance we are getting a new keeper any time soon. Even if we do it would be a replacement backup keeper with Lindegaard leaving, not DDG
True. Lindegaard is picking his nose big time. I can see him asking to leave next season if he doesn't play.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I just can't comprehend the media reaction to De Gea the last few weeks. They've been on his back in every single game and some even went so far as to fabricate stories about the Old Trafford home crowd doing the same. He made one bad mistake against Swansea where he punched it to a defender when he should have done better. Against Newcastle he did the same but that was from an instinctive save and it would be harsh to call it a mistake.

He's done well this season so far for me. I don't believe for a split second Fergie is even considering getting another keeper in, no matter how many stories the papers pull out of their arses. They've create some sort of alternate universe for themselves it would seem.
Wrong

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
That's it: against Swansea, it was a really good close range shot he stopped but pushed back towards Michu (but he really couldn't do much else), against Newcastle, he might have been able to push it somewhere else and do better than straight into the path of Perch. However, even that one wasn't a huge blunder, it was the beginning of the game, the climactic conditions were terrible, and I think he found it difficult to deal with the long distance shot (wasn't helped by no one actually closing down the Newcastle player taking the shot). But yes I can understand criticism for this goal, he probably should've done better.

ralphie88

He's a weird poster.As if DDG cost us the title (something kie will say he didn't say clearly)
DDG certainly didn't cost us the title. Any number of our defenders can hold their hands up to claim that accolade. He did, however, get us knocked out the FA Cup and Champions League with his shenaneghans.

DDG has a long way to go to cement his future at United, but there's no chance he'd be shipped out in January, certainly not with half the decent keepers in Europe cup-tied.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There are two things I find odd about the DDG 'situation':

1. Fergie hasn't come out in a tirade for him. That's the usual Fergie trick when the media pick on one of our players. See the memorable Veron defense.
2. He hasn't bulked up. At all. We tend to seriously beef up youngsters around his age, especially in their first year with us. Given his position and his relative weaknesses, this seems a pretty easy 'win' to do. I know agility is his most important attribute, but I can't imagine forcing him to lift a couple weights is seriously going to diminish that. And frankly he is still too easily roughed up in the box.

Gazza

There are two things I find odd about the DDG 'situation':

1. Fergie hasn't come out in a tirade for him. That's the usual Fergie trick when the media pick on one of our players. See the memorable Veron defense.
2. He hasn't bulked up. At all. We tend to seriously beef up youngsters around his age, especially in their first year with us. Given his position and his relative weaknesses, this seems a pretty easy 'win' to do. I know agility is his most important attribute, but I can't imagine forcing him to lift a couple weights is seriously going to diminish that. And frankly he is still too easily roughed up in the box.
I don't think these points are as odd as you suggest.

1) is not a "usual trick" so much as something Fergie has done once or twice over the years. The absence of a tirade doesn't really suggest much to me, because every time I've heard Fergie talk about him it has been to support him, without going on a rant.

As for 2), well he has gained some muscle but clearly the goalkeeping coaches feel they want to preserve his agility. This is from Fergie last year: "It's a matter of developing his frame. He's doing a lot of work in the gym. If we can get maybe a stone on him without losing any of his flexibility or speed it would be a great boost to him." So it is part of the strategy rather than a suggestion of anything else.

Name Changed

weso26
I've just been reading some of this and frankly, some of it is absolutely retarded. Missing out on the title had very little to do with David De Gea. There were a lot more people a hell of a lot more culpable for that feck up than him. DDG was pretty damn impressive towards the end of the season.

De Gea is 22. Look how good he already is. He won't hit his peak for another 10 years. He is only going to get better. He is a very good keeper now and he can only get better. He will improve week in week out for months and years to come. I am utterly convinced that he is a gem of a player and will be for a long long time.

I cannot imagine for one second that Ferguson is trying to bring in another keeper. Pepe Reina? FFS. Great keeper a couple of years ago, not now. Begovic? 12 solid months playing well doesn't make him that good. Even if Ferguson signed both Begovic and Reina, I would be of the belief that ultimately De Gea would fight them off and end up the long term number one.

Does De Gea make more mistakes than other keepers? I don't think so. Reina and Cech are making them all over the place. Even Joe Hart (a brilliant goalie) is making them fairly regularly now. The media making a big deal over a DDG mistake each time he makes any mistake is very tedious. That mistake against Newcastle wasn't even that bad.

Sure he has to command his box and bulk up more. He is 22. He will get better. He will bulk up. He does not need to be rotated at his age. He needs to play as much as possible. He has shown already that he gets better when he has a run of games.

De Gea is a quality goalkeeper and he will only get better.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I don't really see the point of beefing him up tbh. The presence in the box factor has been greatly improved this season. Not to say it cannot improve any more - but it HAS improved.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'm ashamed to read some of the posts on this thread.

With this attitude, there would never be room at United for developing young talent. A club like United has to constantly rebuild for the future and not put all its eggs in a galactico basket.

We could have gone with an established veteran like a Friedl, who also makes "mistakes", but we had and took the opportunity to bring in a brilliant young keeper and he has, in truth, been sensational for us. He has not been perfect, but neither has any player on the squad including RvP, Rooney and Valencia. RvP missed a pk, but don't see anyone calling RvP a dodgy striker. De Gea is no RvP in terms of his brilliance in their reactive positions, but we have on our hands a keeper who's easily the best in the world at his age and who's easily one of the beat keepers in Europe already.

We need to end this bullshit and get behind De Gea.

Claymore

De Gea is awesome, thought that then and still think it now. Loving how the media make out half the Premierships keepers are better than him just because his one weakness is that he can't rough up the players people like Dalglish and Puliss have put on him or clear the ball easilly for set pieces.

His saves are amazing, some of the best I've seen, his kicking, calmness, reacitons and even his handling are really good. Just one thing down to the nature of our league in England doesn't mean he should be replaced with a keeper from Sunderland or Galatasary. Pepe Reina as well? :lol:

Its January time and Manchester United gets the most website clicks, nothing more. Got to laugh at how the biggest club in Spain are going shopping at the biggest club in the world for a keeper, yet we are getting our new keeper from Turkey or the north east. :lol:

gza the genius

I have absolutely no doubt that DDG will be one of the best keepers in the world within a few years. I can't imagine that Sir Alex feels a whole lot different.

IF us wanting to sell him were true I would be astonished.

Doogie

I'm ashamed to read some of the posts on this thread.

With this attitude, there would never be room at United for developing young talent. A club like United has to constantly rebuild for the future and not put all its eggs in a galactico basket.

We could have gone with an established veteran like a Friedl, who also makes "mistakes", but we had and took the opportunity to bring in a brilliant young keeper and he has, in truth, been sensational for us. He has not been perfect, but neither has any player on the squad including RvP, Rooney and Valencia. RvP missed a pk, but don't see anyone calling RvP a dodgy striker. De Gea is no RvP in terms of his brilliance in their reactive positions, but we have on our hands a keeper who's easily the best in the world at his age and who's easily one of the beat keepers in Europe already.

We need to end this bullshit and get behind De Gea.
The thing is a team can carry, to a certain extent, outfield players that make mistakes or simply aren't good enough. Goalkeepers cannot be carried in the same way.I am absolutely for developing outfield players but when it comes to goalkeepers it is a different situation. We should buy ready made keepers in most instances.

However, I think that de Gea's talent is such that we can justify his signing and playing him week in week out. Therefor I agree with your last sentence but I fully understand why some people have doubts

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
When a opponent faces DDG one-on-one/point blank, I virtually always expect David to save us; that says it all.

I'm always right

DDG certainly didn't cost us the title. He did, however, get us knocked out the FA Cup and Champions League with his shenaneghans.
That's a little harsh eh? He didn't do well on the first goal against the scouse but we battered them that game and the likes of Wellbeck were much more at fault for us getting knocked out.

As for the CL... really? That was DDG's fault?

Ronnie O'Sullivan

All these recent transfer speculations about De Gea is nothing but trash and must have been made up by United's rivals in order to unsettle him

lunchforthesky

He's already pretty good and he's 22 which is nothing for a Goalkeeper, he's been better this season too. Selling him would be bizarre move for me because he's already just about good enough at 22 to be our keeper, so if he improves from here then he'll be brilliant and potentially over keeper for another decade and then some.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I can't remember the last time there was such an obvious, yet unjustified and unreasonable media agenda against a single player. De Gea is by no means perfect and I can't imagine that some of his displays have filled the defence with confidence, but it's like every single pundit/commentator/journalist etc has jumped on the bandwagon one after another in an attempt to prolong some sort of saga. Every single error no matter how slight is zoomed in on and highlighted, and a game hardly passes by without someone mentioning De Gea and crosses.

Compare this with other keepers that have made more errors and have had nothing like the same obsessive coverage. It's a credit to De Gea that he's performing well and has had his share of outstanding performances in light of that. The pressure and scrutiny he has been under at such a young age has been immense given the media's behaviour and the shoes he's had to fill, but he's come through it so far.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
The thing is a team can carry, to a certain extent, outfield players that make mistakes or simply aren't good enough. Goalkeepers cannot be carried in the same way.I am absolutely for developing outfield players but when it comes to goalkeepers it is a different situation. We should buy ready made keepers in most instances.

However, I think that de Gea's talent is such that we can justify his signing and playing him week in week out. Therefor I agree with your last sentence but I fully understand why some people have doubts
Agree. But if there were an actual factual basis for doubts I too would hesitate to subject De Gea to embarrassment. However, the facts support the assertion that De Gea is one of the better keepers in the league. And if one wants to go by the cold, hard data, De Gea has been the best keeper in the league over the last 12 months. But let's not let facts get in the way of opinion.

This is just harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.