Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB7

Every gk makes mistakes, and bobble balls like that are a menace. I‘m not going to lose my cookies over a mistake like that. It is far worse that he showed no physical presence in the box: almost cost us a second goal.
I agree with you. There were several facets to his game on Sunday that were far more alarming than a basic shot-stopping error which can happen to any goalkeeper, although these are becoming more common in his game.

More concerning for me was him passing the ball straight out to an opposing attacker twice, once in the first half to a lad about 25 yards from goal and once to Antonio inside the penalty area from a goal kick about 30 seconds into the second half; and how aerially weak he is, as you say, we got lucky he was apparently fouled for the one that resulted in a goal but there was a second instance a few minutes later where he stayed down feigning injury despite West Ham having possession in our penalty area, could easily have resulted in a second goal. Oh and probably most infuriating of all for me was him forcing Lindelof and Shaw to run 30/40 yards back to collect the ball multiple times late in the game when West Ham were just hoofing the ball clear, not only did it waste time it allowed them to regroup defensively.

redcucumber

Karen Carney says we should back Dave in an insightful piece in the Groaniad.

So basically you’re all wrong!
It's a hilariously shit article.

This is quite literally the only argument she provides

The error De Gea made at West Ham on Sunday that led to his team’s 1-0 defeat was not related to playing out from the back but I think United should be careful what they wish for when it comes to talk of replacing the Spaniard. United will always be analysing to see whether there is someone more suited to a role and will have potential goalkeeping targets but Ten Hag’s focus will be on giving De Gea confidence and working on what he wants from him to improve De Gea and the team. It is hard to find the perfect fit, so when you have someone of De Gea’s quality, making them better seems a sensible solution.
There's then another 3 or 4 paragraphs, none of which talk about De Gea. But the solution is clear: just make De Gea better. I know we've all become accustomed to low standards in football punditry, but is that seriously the best they can offer? It's borderline offensive to it's readership.

Sylar

It would make sense if it was talking about de geas confidence for the remaining games because it's clear butland is not even considered by eth.
With Martinez and varane out, we basically required ddg to step up and show any leadership and maturity going into
Europa League quarter
Fa cup final
Top four race

Ddg faltered badly in Europa League
Hes been bad in our top four race but we're still in one so clearly require him
And we'll, we need everybody including him to have 10/10 performances or as close in the cup final to have a chance

jem

Every gk makes mistakes, and bobble balls like that are a menace. I‘m not going to lose my cookies over a mistake like that. It is far worse that he showed no physical presence in the box: almost cost us a second goal.
I was just about to type the same thing. The goal was infuriating but after such a monumental feck up, you'd think he'd be doing everything to restamp his authority (granted he hardly ever does this.) Instead, he goes down pathetically after being brushed by Antonio. After that fiasco against Arsenal last year, you'd think he'd stay away from these kinds of theatrics.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
It's a hilariously shit article.

This is quite literally the only argument she provides

There's then another 3 or 4 paragraphs, none of which talk about De Gea. But the solution is clear: just make De Gea better. I know we've all become accustomed to low standards in football punditry, but is that seriously the best they can offer? It's borderline offensive to it's readership.
I didn’t get past the first paragraph. I admire your persistence!

suheilsworld

Man has costed us Europa with his error at Sevilla and now this howler. I would rather see him drop for butland. Don’t know how he has been immune to the ruthless nature of ETH

NLunited

Man has costed us Europa with his error at Sevilla and now this howler. I would rather see him drop for butland. Don’t know how he has been immune to the ruthless nature of ETH
To be fair the whole team was shit Sevilla away.

JB7

As I've said time and time again, we don't need to spend a fortune to replace De Gea this summer. There are always reasonably priced goalkeepers available:

ArmaDino

As I've said time and time again, we don't need to spend a fortune to replace De Gea this summer. There are always reasonably priced goalkeepers available:
We should play some Game of Thrones with Bayern.

If Neuer is back as No. 1, then sign Sommer.

If Sommer keeps the No. 1 spot, then sign Neuer. Even if it's for a year or two, I would definitely like to see him in a United shirt. But considering on how we treated Bastian, I think it will remain just a dream sadly.

Dorris

The worst number 1 in the league. Has to be upgraded on if we want to be a serious side next season.

criticalanalysis

The problem is that De Gea has regularly made these types of 'bobble ball' mistakes over the years. Remember Brentford in the second game of this season? It's not really a simple, brush it off the shoulder 'one of those' mistakes when it has become so alarmingly consistent. There's literal minutes of compilations where he has fumbled or made a mess out of simple saves; it's not something happens to every keeper, it's the exception now.

Then of course, that's on top of his presence or lack thereof. I know it's splitting of hairs as it seems you've finally seen the light but you should be looking at both fundamental issues and criticising and/or expecting much better, not excusing it to 'ah it happens to everyone' because it doesn't.

NLunited

The problem is that De Gea has regularly made these types of 'bobble ball' mistakes over the years. Remember Brentford in the second game of this season? It's not really a simple, brush it off the shoulder 'one of those' mistakes when it has become so alarmingly consistent. There's literal minutes of compilations where he has fumbled or made a mess out of simple saves; it's not something happens to every keeper, it's the exception now.

Then of course, that's on top of his presence or lack thereof. I know it's splitting of hairs as it seems you've finally seen the light but you should be looking at both fundamental issues and criticising and/or expecting much better, not excusing it to 'ah it happens to everyone' because it doesn't.
Every gk can make a mistake, I’ve seen a few balls like that go in this season. So no, I’m not going to overreact about a mistake. Alisson and Ederson made some big ones this season.

I’m more worried about what the hell he thinks he was doing when we almost conceded the second goal.

criticalanalysis

Every gk can make a mistake, I’ve seen a few balls like that go in this season. So no, I’m not going to overreact about a mistake. Alisson and Ederson made some big ones this season.

I’m more worried about what the hell he thinks he was doing when we almost conceded the second goal.
Of course every keeper or player can make a mistake but not at this consistency. I don't think there's a keeper that has made the same or a similar number of this specific type of error that De Gea has made over the years. It's like saying Maguire's issues with daddling on the ball and getting caught deep in his own half are 'normal' things that plenty of other defenders do too.

Anyways, not a big issue to discuss as overall De Gea needs replacing period.

Theonas

Scout

I am actually with you there. It's why even though I am in the minority, I never considered him a great goalkeeper. I think his reputation has been enhanced because the rest of our teams have been so bad and he was the least culpable individual. I also think non United fans contributed to his high reputation as a backhanded compliment. Complimenting a team's goalkeeper is a passive way of saying you're shit and lucky to have a good goalie. It's why you hear people using phrases like "their GK was man of the match" to actually say we battered them were the better team. He also benefited from all those fans who hated the trend of modern coaches fixating on ball playing from the back and styles that emphasize possession. De Gea represented a throwback to how different tactics can work too almost as a point of principle. But there is a reason that outside of England, he was never considered an elite GK. I digress a bit but I guess what I am saying is that all he ever was is a brilliant shot stopper at his best. All the great GKs could command their box though and had a physical and agressive presence in the box. He never did, he basically helped you with one type of attempts against and was a hindrance at the many other ways a team can score against you.

Sylar

WHilst i think youre right, every keeper (especially great keepers) make mistakes, my biggest problem with DDG is his ability (or lackof) to get over the mistakes, instead he just compounds it and makes things worse.

I get the other points though. Its why I dont understand people who say it will be difficult to replace DDG because playing at United / OT is a step up. My thinking and everything shows DDG doesnt have that mentality that most think he does. Longevity and our team being shit and having changing managers has been a big part of being kind to his legacy here.

I am actually with you there. It's why even though I am in the minority, I never considered him a great goalkeeper. I think his reputation has been enhanced because the rest of our teams have been so bad and he was the least culpable individual. I also think non United fans contributed to his high reputation as a backhanded compliment. Complimenting a team's goalkeeper is a passive way of saying you're shit and lucky to have a good goalie. It's why you hear people using phrases like "their GK was man of the match" to actually say we battered them were the better team. He also benefited from all those fans who hated the trend of modern coaches fixating on ball playing from the back and styles that emphasize possession. De Gea represented a throwback to how different tactics can work too almost as a point of principle. But there is a reason that outside of England, he was never considered an elite GK. I digress a bit but I guess what I am saying is that all he ever was is a brilliant shot stopper at his best. All the great GKs could command their box though and had a physical and agressive presence in the box. He never did, he basically helped you with one type of attempts against and was a hindrance at the many other ways a team can score against you.
I dont think hes been a great goalkeeper either. Great shotstopper for sure (and for a period that was really great to the point you forgave him for other weaknesses). But as you said, it was enhanced by other positions and areas being more problematic.

Licha M

I wish people would stop harping on about this golden glove malarky, as if he's been an instrumental part of it.

His save percentage is just 70.8%, meaning the highest paid goalkeeper in the history of football is in the bottom 39% of goalkeepers this season, anywhere. That tells us when he is called upon, he's not even close to being somewhat reliable. That's not even taking into account his ridiculous lack of authority controlling his box. Bottom 9% of crosses stopped shows he's not supporting his centre-backs. Let's not even get into his insistence on playing the players in front of him into the shit with his distribution. See the first 60 seconds of the second half against West Ham as a classic example.

The clean sheet record, has more to do with the structural organisation that's in front of him, and absolutely nothing to do with what he's contributing behind them.

Last edited:

edgecutter

I wish people would stop harping on about this golden glove malarky, as if he's been an instrumental part of it.

His save percentage is just 70.8%, meaning the highest paid goalkeeper in the history of football is in the bottom 39% of players this season, anywhere. That tells us when he is called upon, he's not even close to being somewhat reliable. That's not even taking into account his ridiculous lack of authority controlling his box. Bottom 9% of crosses stopped shows he's not supporting his centre-backs. Let's not even get into his insistence on playing the players in front of him into the shit with his distribution. See the first 60 seconds of the second half against West Ham as a classic example.

The clean sheet record, has more to do with the structural organisation that's in front of him, and absolutely nothing to do with what he's contributing behind them.
I agree with every word you posted here, but it will mean nothing to the sentimental Sally's thay think we'll be worse off if he goes. He's been a liability for some time.

Oranges038

His save percentage is just 70.8%, meaning the highest paid goalkeeper in the history of football is in the bottom 39% of goalkeepers this season, anywhere. That tells us when he is called upon, he's not even close to being somewhat reliable. That's not even taking into account his ridiculous lack of authority controlling his box. Bottom 9% of crosses stopped shows he's not supporting his centre-backs. Let's not even get into his insistence on playing the players in front of him into the shit with his distribution. See the first 60 seconds of the second half against West Ham as a classic example.

Many of us have been saying this for a long long time. But saves for the YouTube compilations. That's all that matters to some people.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Lets hope he doesn't fecks up and lets in another goal when we play Wolves.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Sommer is shocking

Born2Lose

Facts! Martinez and Varane have given him an easy life for most of the season.

The Urban Goose

Preach, brother.

Sylar

it is what it is. A clean sheet but he didn't have to do anything in terms of saves. But regardless another clean sheet.

Standard with the ball at his feet, just wish he would smash it away deep and wide into opposition half rather than floating it half way into our own half

Wolves are the first team all season to not crowd De Gea and drop the corner/set piece on his head. As a result De Gea had exactly nothing to do.

RuudTom83

His clean sheet today had very little to do with Big Dave, Wolves didn't even have a shot of note...but I'm happy for him to take home the golden gloves.

His current form is a worry for the final, just seem to spread panic when he has to make a simple pass.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Just look at the keepers we play against every weak, they are doing incredible saves like Dave does but with something on top, can sweep, claim crosses, or play comfortably with their feet or all things combined, yet we are stuck with 300k/week not good enough goalkeeper. We really have to move on because he will cost us big time, it's like counting on Lindelof, very passive player who can have a tidy game if we don't allow the ball near him..

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Real assured goalkeeping performance today when he was bound to feel the nerves. He responded well to the opposition’s press, made some good saves and didn’t shy away from taking charge of his own penalty area. He looks like he has plenty to offer for years to come in the Premier League.

Well done to David De Gea as well at the other end on securing a share of the Golden Gloves.

Idxomer

Real assured goalkeeping performance today when he was bound to feel the nerves. He responded well to the opposition’s press, made some good saves and didn’t shy away from taking charge of his own penalty area. He looks like he has plenty to offer for years to come in the Premier League.

Well done to David De Gea as well at the other end on securing a share of the Golden Gloves.
:lol:

fallengt

All hail King Dave. First of his name

Mindhunter

This truly is undeserved. If he has an ounce of self-awareness, he will dedicate the award to our defense that made it happen. If any team below United had De Gea as their keeper, he wouldn't even have been in contention for this award.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
His distribution was awful again. So many unnecessary hoofs that are never anything more than a 50 50 ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.