David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitbyviking

I can see him coming back. We’ve probably (in his opinion) lowballed him. He said no, we said rest the market and come back when you see what happens. Now he’s back £120k a week or something.

RedorDead21

I can see him coming back. We’ve probably (in his opinion) lowballed him. He said no, we said rest the market and come back when you see what happens. Now he’s back £120k a week or something.
For a back up that’s pretty much a waste of cash even if he says ok..he can’t be number one.

roseguy64

How can you have a "contract situation" when there is no contract? It expired right? He's a free agent.
There's still a contract proposal on the table for him from the club. Doesn't matter that he's a free agent. He's been able to talk to other clubs for weeks now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
How can you have a "contract situation" when there is no contract? It expired right? He's a free agent.
Yeah, probably worded it vaguely but I’d assume it’s in reference to his contract going forward/offer on the table. Maybe they’re waiting for his response on the current terms offered to him (lower wage, not guaranteed as the number 1 etc).

It’s crazy (& telling!) when you think about it. The worlds highest paid goalkeeper is available on a free and no one’s seemingly knocking his door down to try and sign him.

roseguy64

Yeah, probably worded it vaguely but I’d assume it’s in reference to his contract going forward/offer on the table. Maybe they’re waiting for his response on the current terms offered to him (lower wage, not guaranteed as the number 1 etc).

It’s crazy (& telling!) when you think about it. The worlds highest paid goalkeeper is available on a free and no one’s seemingly knocking his door down to try and sign him.
Once again, you have no idea whether clubs are trying to sign him. Maybe his agent is keeping a low profile on it because Man Utd is the player's priority and if he doesn't sign the Man Utd offer you'll hear all about the interest in from elsewhere.

Not everything is broadcast by agents/clubs. Sometimes it's in the player's best interest that the news doesn't leak out.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Once again, you have no idea whether clubs are trying to sign him. Maybe his agent is keeping a low profile on it because Man Utd is the player's priority and if he doesn't sign the Man Utd offer you'll hear all about the interest in from elsewhere.

Not everything is broadcast by agents/clubs. Sometimes it's in the player's best interest that the news doesn't leak out.
You’re not wrong of course but by that definition, no one has any idea about most things, isn’t it? We comment based on media reports, outlets etc. because if we were only allowed to comment on facts, it would be a pretty dull forum.

What seems clear is that even if he has offers, it’s probably either not better than what we’ve offered and/or from clubs with little chance of competing. Otherwise I’m sure they’d have used us as leverage, at the very least.

Either way, I wish him all the best because he’s been a great professional and loyal servant with us.

Eugenius

It's hard to see a path back; the silence is telling.
Suspect the conversation will be you are welcome to stay as and compete as a #2 on on reduced wages/heavily incentivised contract. If you get a better offer you are welcome to go.

Bearing in mind we were paying Romero/Henderson £100k+ per week in similar positions, and DDG doesn't seem to have many obvious options, it could work for him. Makes sense for us too as wouldn't have to buy a #2.

edcunited1878

What contract situation? He doesn’t have one.
ESPN is so bad and just click bait for the need to cover soccer.

The situation with DDG seems to be a 1 year deal with 1 year player option. Onana comes in, is the first choice keeper, while DDG is a good fall back option if Onana totally bombs or needs to sit for a little bit.

DDG is appreciated by the club as the final servant under Fergie and should be given some type of send off for his services during some lean years but also very good years.

It's whether or not DDG see himself playing at the top level after United, which doesn't seem likely, which is fine but he'll have to accept that.

Member 101269

Suspect the conversation will be you are welcome to stay as and compete as a #2 on on reduced wages/heavily incentivised contract. If you get a better offer you are welcome to go.

Bearing in mind we were paying Romero/Henderson £100k+ per week in similar positions, and DDG doesn't seem to have many obvious options, it could work for him. Makes sense for us too as wouldn't have to buy a #2.
it’s the apparent lack obvious options that is interesting.

200k pw is more DDG level

Last edited by a moderator:

Yet again we have handled this horribly with one of the few players who has earned the right to be treated better.

Let's be honest, he's far too good to be a number 2 keeper, but even as a backup he's not what we want anymore. We dont want any player where we have to change our style when theyre on the pitch. We should have told him that and let him find a new club months ago, and sorted ourselves a new keeper in the meantime.

I hope we now have time to properly recruit a new keeper and he has time to sort a new club because he should be playing in one of the top leagues for sure.

OrcaFat

I am sure, yes
Maybes he gets offered enough money to stay here as de facto no2 with a prospect of a decent amount of minutes and would prefer that to, say, Saudi league.

He’ll have other options, yes, but who? And how much will they pay? It’s possible he just wants to be no1 and nothing else matters but I’m thinking it’s more complicated than that.

JagUTD

What contract situation? He doesn’t have one.
Rolling contract, like when a mobile phone contact ends?

He's still listed as a United player isn't he? At least someone said a few posts back that he was.

OrcaFat

he is rich enough, and with equally rich wife now. It’s about playing for him, I am sure
Yeah but we know, for example, how rich Ronaldo is and yet he went to the place where he could earn the most money. It’s not so much the need for money (for the purpose of spending it) but the desire to measure one’s worth.

I’m not saying Dave is the same but the size of the financial offer is always a factor on some level. We’ll find out which of Dave’s (limited) options he prefers soon enough.

One problem he has is that, in the modern game, he’s not likely to be guaranteed no1 status at any of the top clubs and he may be smart enough to realise that.

Kaos

Would Atletico be interested in taking him back?

I mean they're the only big club that still plays that antiquated low block system that could suit him. And last I checked Oblak has been a bit cack for them in recent seasons.

OrcaFat

I mean they're the only big club that still plays that antiquated low block system that could suit him. And last I checked Oblak has been a bit cack for them in recent seasons.
I wondered the same. I don’t think they’d pay him what he thinks he’s worth but it would be a nice thing if it happened.

DDGs reputation in Spain is tarnished, especially after World Cup 2018.

He doesn’t get picked for their national team, no way he goes to a top 4 La Liga team and displaces Oblak who is still a far better keeper than DDG.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think he will be exposed in modern sides due to his blunders in big games and struggles to pass out

Sgreddevil

He won't agree to be a number 2 here after being our number 1 for many years.
Moreover he won the golden glove last season (even though I attributed that largely to our improved defence but on paper he did won that as a personal honour)
It will be better for him to move on as he will still be a decent number 1 for lower tier teams. Italy or France may be good options for him since his reputation in Spain isn't that good and he probably won't settle for another mid table English team.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Rolling contract, like when a mobile phone contact ends?

He's still listed as a United player isn't he? At least someone said a few posts back that he was.
I remember when Fergie had his older players on rolling contracts once they pass a certain age, which made a lot of sense to me because you never know when they're going to fall off the cliff.

dinostar77

Yet again we have handled this horribly with one of the few players who has earned the right to be treated better.

Let's be honest, he's far too good to be a number 2 keeper, but even as a backup he's not what we want anymore. We dont want any player where we have to change our style when theyre on the pitch. We should have told him that and let him find a new club months ago, and sorted ourselves a new keeper in the meantime.

I hope we now have time to properly recruit a new keeper and he has time to sort a new club because he should be playing in one of the top leagues for sure.
Good post

bringbackbebe

You think De Gea is innocent enough that he'll wait for United to say bye before he does? He hasn't joined any club because there's no one interested in him yet for the salary he's demanding. For me, the club has handled this perfectly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You think De Gea is innocent enough that he'll wait for United to say bye before he does? He hasn't joined any club because there's no one interested in him yet for the salary he's demanding. For me, the club has handled this perfectly.
Dave agreed to slash his salary. It hasn’t occurred to you that he might want to give staying at the club every chance.

bringbackbebe

Dave agreed to slash his salary. It hasn’t occurred to you that he might want to give staying at the club every chance.
Nope, I can't believe that side of the story when we've been low balled twice by him in the past - one where he stayed only because Madrid's fax machine didn't work.

Pickle85

Nonsense. If we didn't want to keep him then we shouldn't have offered him a contract, or we should have offered him a contract that reflected his diminished importance to the team instead of playing contractual bait and switch. He'll now leave on bad terms and someone that's given the club a decade of his career deserved better.

As for your pearl clutching around him flirting with Madrid, his family live there, he's Spanish and they were among the best teams in the world. Players have left for far, far less in the past.

I find it so distasteful how many of our supposedly loyal fanbase are trying to back the way the club has handled this while denigrating DDG.

SteveCoppellFan

I hope he leaves and we replace him with Onana.

I wish him all the best and hope he finds a decent club to finish off his career, he has been a great servant to United but its time for change.

Kostov

What in the name of hell is happening with our GK department. You either sign DDG or bring in a new keeper. We are making a transfer saga of our own players.

Eric_the_Red99

I wish people would stop mentioning the Golden Glove, as if it means anything at all in this context. It’s essentially an award for the team with the best defence (but only in terms of most clean sheets, which even in itself is a flawed measure - it’d be like awarding the golden boot based on most games scored in rather than total goals), but for some bizarre reason it’s only given to the goalkeeper - even though in DDG’s case he is very clearly the weakest link in our defence.

If I was DDG, and had an ounce of self awareness (which I’m not sure he does) I’d be fecking embarrassed anytime anyone mentioned the fecking Golden Glove.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Nonsense. If we didn't want to keep him then we shouldn't have offered him a contract, or we should have offered him a contract that reflected his diminished importance to the team instead of playing contractual bait and switch. He'll now leave on bad terms and someone that's given the club a decade of his career deserved better.

As for your pearl clutching around him flirting with Madrid, his family live there, he's Spanish and they were among the best teams in the world. Players have left for far, far less in the past.

I find it so distasteful how many of our supposedly loyal fanbase are trying to back the way the club has handled this while denigrating DDG.
I agree it doesn't reflect good on us, but at the same time I like that the club has made that tough decision because I truly believe De Gea should not be here next season. So yes, I back the club on this one even if I think this should've been handled much better in terms of PR/treating the player. BUT I also think we don't know the full story.

OrcaFat

I thought we did offer him a contract on reduced terms and he turned it down. That was being reported at some point.

Looks like the two parties ended up here because they couldn’t agree on the terms. Does it have to be somebody’s fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.