David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We could have thanked him for his long service and offered him a testimonial.

We have done none of the above as far as I can tell. And more importantly: why offer him a new contract on heavily reduced wages and then change our mind when he agrees? That's a dirty move that feels especially dirty when you're dealing with a legend.
Most likely we offered him that contract many months ago and it was De Gea's choice not to sign it. Probably because he thought we would either increase the offer or some other team would come in and make him a higher offer. He took that risk and likely tried to pressure us into a higher deal, so he doesn't get to complain when the exact opposite happened instead.

Unless the club specifically told him that he had until a certain date to sign it and then changed their mind before that date, there's nothing dirty about it. Of course the club will always be weighing up the options, and the longer he went without signing it the more the club and manager made other plans. It seems it was just unfortunate timing that we decided to pull the offer at the same time as he decided to sign it.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Most likely we offered him that contract many months ago and it was De Gea's choice not to sign it. Probably because he thought we would either increase the offer or some other team would come in and make him a higher offer. He took that risk and likely tried to pressure us into a higher deal, so he doesn't get to complain when the exact opposite happened instead.
So you think that he received an unsigned and unbinding contract offer with no deadline? And then he waited several months, until just a few days before his contract expires, only to accept it?

Based on the stories "leaked", this is the version that makes the club look as good as possible given the circumstances. In this version De Gea is also both delusional and stupid. Without knowing the full story I doubt that this is how things transpired.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So you think that he received an unsigned and unbinding contract offer with no deadline? And then he waited several months, until just a few days before his contract expires, only to accept it?

Based on the stories "leaked", this is the version that makes the club look as good as possible given the circumstances. In this version De Gea is also both delusional and stupid. Without knowing the full story I doubt that this is how things transpired.
On the other hand, you think the club gave him a contract offer and told him that the offer would remain on the table until...well, seemingly after his contract ran out at least? Seeing as these stories only started a couple of days before that. Leaving the club unable to plan for the future one way or the other?

I also don't know how De Gea is 'both delusional and stupid', unless you think our offer was already far higher than any he would get anywhere else. In which case, we still did the right thing in pulling the contract.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as both parties haven't signed the contract they are both well within their rights to modify what they are offering or demanding. It's on De Gea that he didn't sign the contract when it was offered, and it's on De Gea that he proceeded to have a poor finish to the season and yet again cost us in a high-pressure knock-out game. That was likely a contributing factor to us pulling the offer if ETH decided that De Gea wasn't even suitable for a #2.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
On the other hand, you think the club gave him a contract offer and told him that the offer would remain on the table until...well, seemingly after his contract ran out at least? Seeing as these stories only started a couple of days before that. Leaving the club unable to plan for the future one way or the other?
No, I think the club gave him an offer with a deadline and that he accepted the offer. And then the club, for whatever reason, changed their mind. And because it was only an unsigned proposal they didn't have to honor it. In my book this is an asshole move. Just because you are legally in the right, it doesn't mean you're morally in the clear.

But this is all speculation. Perhaps we will hear the full story one day.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People going all in on De Gea would do well to remember that our greatest keeper ever went off to play for City and everyone is quite cool with it.

I like the noises the club are making about him being afforded a testimonial. The fella has been done as a world class keeper for a few years now, but he’s always been fit, never really made noises about leaving, hasn’t been a dick, and it’s truly not his problem that any of the managers post Fergie didn’t sign a new keeper.

RVN1991

It's clear his performance levels dropped in recent years and on top of his distribution weaknesses he can't be a number one for a club pushing for trophies. Wish him well, in his prime he was superb. I don't understand why fans hate the guy, we have a strange way of treating our legends
No worse sin for football fans than putting in bad performances.

That's why guys like Giggs, Ronaldo and greenwood were easily forgiven.

Kaos

People going all in on De Gea would do well to remember that our greatest keeper ever went off to play for City and everyone is quite cool with it.

I like the noises the club are making about him being afforded a testimonial. The fella has been done as a world class keeper for a few years now, but he’s always been fit, never really made noises about leaving, hasn’t been a dick, and it’s truly not his problem that any of the managers post Fergie didn’t sign a new keeper.
Speak for yourself, he went down in my estimation a fait bit since he made that move.

Erik the Red

I think thats because in those days, going to City was like going to play for Salford. They were a nothing team, and he was going there for a retirement income without any hope of competing with us, so nobody cared. At that time, nobody hated City because they were such a non-entity of a club.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think thats because in those days, going to City was like going to play for Salford. They were a nothing team, and he was going there for a retirement income without any hope of competing with us, so nobody cared. At that time, nobody hated City because they were such a non-entity of a club.
Nah. He played for City. Played against us and helped City beat us for the first time in over a decade.

Not as bad as Liverpool or Leeds, but a close third place.

I loved the fella. Club legend. Obviously. But my point was that fans talking shit about De Gea need a little perspective. He’s been a consummate pro and he deserves to be treated as well as any player that’s played for as long and appeared as many times as he has.

Nobody should get a free ride. But I’ve said before that I’d happily have him in the squad on £100k a week with a £200k a match appearance fee. If he needs to earn a guaranteed £300k+, wish him well, give him a testimonial and applaud him. He’s been a gentleman and was a model pro.

scottser

Nah. He played for City. Played against us and helped City beat us for the first time in over a decade.

Not as bad as Liverpool or Leeds, but a close third place.

I loved the fella. Club legend. Obviously. But my point was that fans talking shit about De Gea need a little perspective. He’s been a consummate pro and he deserves to be treated as well as any player that’s played for as long and appeared as many times as he has.

Nobody should get a free ride. But I’ve said before that I’d happily have him in the squad on £100k a week with a £200k a match appearance fee. If he needs to earn a guaranteed £300k+, wish him well, give him a testimonial and applaud him. He’s been a gentleman and was a model pro.
you what? i like dave and everything but 200 large per match is bit rich, no?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
People are really clutching at straws when they try to paint De Gea as a villain. If wanting to join Real Madrid and negotiating for a higher salary during salary negotiations are considered bad behavior then you aren't gonna find many "morally pure" players who are also good at their job.

Why? Even as a number 2 he doesn’t suit the modern style of play and has glaring weaknesses with traditional goalkeeping elements (commanding his area, set pieces).

Marcelinho87

I rate VDS higher than big Pete...

UnrelatedPsuedo

Why? Even as a number 2 he doesn’t suit the modern style of play and has glaring weaknesses with traditional goalkeeping elements (commanding his area, set pieces).
Well you can fanny around with the math. My point was that he could have a low base and a high match fee to get across the contract point.

Going into a season with two/three goalkeepers that have never played a season of football with the club is far worse than having a very experienced, title winning keeper in the squad and on the training pitch.

Fully with you on him not suiting modern football, but Scott Carson just won a CL medal for City. De Gea is far better than him. Sub goalkeeper is the best gig in football.

tomaldinho1

We know the club used to leave contracts on the table for ages (Mata is an example) but that was under Woodward. It was also reported we’d offered him a new deal ages ago on reduced terms which he clearly did not accept and he his team try to negotiate. This dubious leak that we agreed and he signed and then he reneged would have much more hype around it if it were true, it would be scandalous from the club.

Personally think the club has done the right thing. Put an offer out, negotiate if you want to keep the player (Rashford) let the player leave if they don’t accept.

OldTrevil

I can't comment on how his exit was handled as it's all basically rumors, but we definitely needed to let him go like at least 2 years ago.

He gave us some memorable performances during his time though, so I'll thank him for that.

JagUTD

Possibly because my opinion counts for more? Only kidding :) It was in reply to @Stack who felt that match going fans may have a different view on De Gea compared to the "keyboard warriors". I was just giving him my perspective as a match-goer.
To be fair to the match going fans, some of them take Qatari flags to games so we shouldn't always assume they may have more balanced rational views.

Red00012

Spare a thought for him he probably will have no wages this week

Idxomer

I find it odd that there's still a possibility of him re-signing when it's clear the manager doesn't have confidence in him anymore.

Big Andy

Bloke
We know the club used to leave contracts on the table for ages (Mata is an example) but that was under Woodward. It was also reported we’d offered him a new deal ages ago on reduced terms which he clearly did not accept and he his team try to negotiate. This dubious leak that we agreed and he signed and then he reneged would have much more hype around it if it were true, it would be scandalous from the club.

Personally think the club has done the right thing. Put an offer out, negotiate if you want to keep the player (Rashford) let the player leave if they don’t accept.
The club probably did leave him a contract to sign, but sadly they left it outside of his 6 yard box, so he couldn't reach it.

tomaldinho1

The club probably did leave him a contract to sign, but sadly they left it outside of his 6 yard box, so he couldn't reach it.
Haha try as he might it was just not in his locker. If they’d shot it at him from a cannon he’d have caught it like a cat, signed it and then kicked it upfield straight to an opponent.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I find it odd that there's still a possibility of him re-signing when it's clear the manager doesn't have confidence in him anymore.
I think it’s more of a safety net, we’d rather have him than nobody

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Might be reading into things but on the club's website you can buy his shirt for 23/24 and he's still on our squad list. All the other players who have left, including expired loans, aren't there.

davidmichael

Screams of the Glazer’s not wanting to pay for a new keeper so keeping one that doesn’t fit the managers system and isn’t good enough anymore on a lesser wage to save money works for them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can you imagine the PR team we'd have to employ if we end up re-signing him and he's back to number 1?

MegadrivePerson

I’m surprised it took them so long to notice this. He routinely shits the bed during season run ins. He alone cost us top 4 in Oles first season as an example
He's been unreliable for far too long.

I think a lot of people remember him at his peak and hope/think he can get back to that level but he's been too poor for too long now.

It's best for all parties that he moves on. I will be intrigued to see where he ends up? I can't see many big offers for him other than Saudi.

Status
Not open for further replies.