David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Being ruthless doesn’t require being classless.
In fact in this case actually being ruthless would have been classier.

As soon as the season is done (at the latest), tell him he isn't wanted any more, there is no longer a contract offer for him and wish him well finding himself a new club. Cold, clean and the best outcome.

Smores

Do you really trust him to have ended the season well if we'd let him know months ago we didn't want him anymore? Obviously he wouldn't have done it deliberately, but the fact he quite consistently falls apart under pressure makes me think there is an unacceptably high chance that he would have completely shit the bed, potentially costing us top four and the FA Cup final (the latter of which arguably happened anyway). As far as I'm concerned, the club had to keep telling him (whether truthfully and falsely) that we still wanted him.

I probably do agree that we should have given him a definite 'thanks for the service but it's time to leave' a couple of weeks ago though.
All good points and don't disagree but it leaves a bad taste. We basically shouldn't have offered him contract until we knew the direction, still holds the risk you state though.

Moving on from a player is always messy even Fergie the supreme man manager had difficulty with how you do it.

ThanksBoss26

In fact in this case actually being ruthless would have been classier.

As soon as the season is done (at the latest), tell him he isn't wanted any more, there is no longer a contract offer for him and wish him well finding himself a new club. Cold and clean.
Agreed, should have been a shake of the hand & in my view the offer of a testimonial for next summer as a thanks for the service and a chance to say a proper goodbye to the fans.

The limbo it's been left in is just bizarre now at this stage.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I have a limited amount of sympathy for a guy that was told he was getting 150k a week instead of 375k. His performance levels have dropped and doesn't deserve it. ETH and the club made the right call.

tomaldinho1

I have a limited amount of sympathy for a guy that was told he was getting 150k a week instead of 375k. His performance levels have dropped and doesn't deserve it. ETH and the club made the right call.
Agreed - this is how we should be run. Offer what we think is fair but if a player decides not to take it or negotiate let them leave if we don't want to pay them more. He'll get offered a testimonial but we need a new No1 and he doesn't want to be a No2.

Realismo

Supports
Real Madrid
United need to sign a keeper and move on from De Gea, the sooner the better

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Real Madrid got rid of Ramos after presenting him with a renewal offer which apparently had a expiry date which Ramos had no idea about. He actually was a legend for Real Madrid.

Ramos: “I was never told that there was an expiry date to the offer. I thought it was just part of the negotiation – as always has happened over 16 years. But then I was told time had run out."

“I don't know why this offer had an expiry date, without being told, while there was a negotiation. Maybe I misunderstood, but nobody had told me the offer could be withdrawn."

https://theathletic.com/4209338/202...er-wanted-to-leave?source=user-shared-article

There's also other examples at Madrid.

The club have also denied reneging on a contract renewal via the Athletic. The news being reported for many months was about ten Hag wanting to keep De Gea around as #2 due to his positive influence in the dressing room. And hence he was being offered a contract extension which was not signed off due to the head of contract negotiations starting his new role on the 12th of June. The Athletic reported something had changed in the last few weeks of June, and imo that change was Matt Hargreaves had started his role as the chief of contract and transfer negotiations in June and he may well have told him to take a further pay cut.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Bit of a weird situation and while I think Dave should have had a send-off (we're not pricks like Madrid), this is childish.

Just move on.

hobbers

His career should have ended on a better note than this but that's about it.

Not good enough for his wage expectations, so long and thanks for all the donuts.

OrcaFat

If your employer offered you one contract which you were ready to sign, then whipped it away and replaced it with a contract with far less favourable terms how would you feel? There's no getting away from the fact that we've behaved badly here.
I don’t think we know all the details, do we? I suppose it was an offer rather than a pre-signed (by the club) contract. If he was “ready” to accept the offer, why didn’t he? And how long were the club waiting around for him to sign it?

I gather the offer was withdrawn because he hadn’t accepted it. I’m not sure that’s any different to players who are about to sign a contract and then get a better offer and decide not to sign it. Are they behaving badly?

I have no skin in this game at all. I don’t see that he has been mistreated. He’s been well remunerated for his service. There’s nothing to see here as far as I’m concerned.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Did the club also tweet cryptic and childish stuff or emojis every time DdG made horrible mistakes all those years?

edgecutter

You seem to fail to respond to any of the points yet just want to keep ranting about DDG, you carry on.
You said the club haven't treated him properly, and I gave my point that he was. You also seem to fail to realise that he has had a major hand in us dropping out of competitions in the last 5 years, and no other club would put up with a keeper that can't even do the basics anymore. His performance in the Seville game and the FA Cup final are just some of the recent cups he cost us. Nevermind the reports of when Ole wanted to drop him, only for De Gea to go banging on his door demanding to start. He's had a brilliant time at united on astronimical wages. He's lucky he lasted as long as he did.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
So the club have a contract signed by de gea but likely not dated…could they just hold on to that all summer then sign it at some point and he would be committed to fulfil the deal? Surely there’s a time limit on that kind of thing but it does put him in a pretty awkward position and would warrant the clown emoji and explain why everything seems in limbo for him.

gajender

So the club have a contract signed by de gea but likely not dated…could they just hold on to that all summer then sign it at some point and he would be committed to fulfil the deal? Surely there’s a time limit on that kind of thing but it does put him in a pretty awkward position and would warrant the clown emoji and explain why everything seems in limbo.
I don't think They do and this narrative that United reneged on formal Contract offer after De Gea signed it , is really dubious and doesn't make sense at all .

I may be wrong but United are the party making formal contract offer so the prepared documents ideally should already be signed and approved by them only needing De Gea to sign them for it to come into effect . And if it's not the formal offer then what's is the problem If Club decides to change it .

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Bit of a weird situation and while I think Dave should have had a send-off (we're not pricks like Madrid), this is childish.

Just move on.
Perhaps we should be. None of their many legends who were acrimoniously pushed out have any hard feelings toward the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Perhaps we should be. None of their many legends who were acrimoniously pushed out have any hard feelings toward the club.
It's more how you do it.

If we'd given his time at the club a clean 'death', I'd be all in favour.

But as previously mentioned, I expect Maguire to have his access card disabled if we're treating De Gea like this.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
It's more how you do it.

If we'd given his time at the club a clean 'death', I'd be all in favour.

But as previously mentioned, I expected Maguire to have his access card disabled if we're treating De Gea like this.
Fair point. I'm not a fan of how messy this situation has gotten either.

Pickle85

I don't think They do and this narrative that United reneged on formal Contract offer after De Gea signed it , is really dubious and doesn't make sense at all .

I may be wrong but United are the party making formal contract offer so the prepared documents ideally should already be signed and approved by them only needing De Gea to sign them for it to come into effect . And if it's not the formal offer then what's is the problem If Club decides to change it .
I can honestly say I've never heard of a situation where a business would sign the contract first and the last signature would be the employee.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They absolutely do not, deals get pulled all the time and based on his performances overall its right to carry on without him.
Except we haven't actually made the decision to carry on without him. As it stands we're still reportedly looking to discuss a renewal on terms that suit us, when we shouldn't be.

If we had actually made the decision to carry on without him then his departure would have already been announced, he wouldn't be in this limbo and the club wouldn't be getting this criticism.

Nobody should be more critical of the club's handling of this than those who want De Gea gone, because they only look like getting what they want in spite of the club's efforts. And yet a lot of them are defending the club's position out of a seeming reflex need to criticise De Gea.

Strelok

I can honestly say I've never heard of a situation where a business would sign the contract first and the last signature would be the employee.
My contracts were always pre signed by my employers. They give me two copies I sign one and give them back that one that's all.

Pickle85

My contracts were always pre signed by my employers. They give me two copies I sign one and give them back that one that's all.
Interesting. Everywhere I've worked, we've contracted authors with them signing first. Every contract I've signed has been signed by me first. Though I guess it doesn't matter either way, in fairness. It's still legally binding.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd be very surprised if he returned as #2. I think he will either be playing in Saudi next season or a club in Spain. The reporting on this has been poor imo and it seems De Gea himself has spoke to Spanish Journo Guillermo Rai (Madrid based) who was behind the The Athletic article which mentioned De Gea being wronged in the renewal process.

I consistently said he wouldn't be #1 next season, even when it was being reported about a contract renewal being close.

OrcaFat

Interesting. Everywhere I've worked, we've contracted authors with them signing first. Every contract I've signed has been signed by me first. Though I guess it doesn't matter either way, in fairness. It's still legally binding.
I assume it’s only legally binding when both sides have signed it?

I think something kicks in when there is “part performance” even if there isn’t a signed contract, provided there is clear evidence of what both parties were intending. Not sure how that applies to football but possibly it would if De Gea plays matches for us during the “contract” period and the terms can reasonably be held to have been understood and agreed upon.

Sounds like the club hadn’t signed off on the terms of Dave’s offer anyway and delays on both sides have not helped Dave’s prospects. Some people are adamant he must be no1 and will accept payment in acorns if he’s guaranteed to play but I could see him taking a cut and staying here. I’m fine with that if it’s what EtH wants.

Strelok

Yeah it doesn't matter I think. As long as there are at least two copies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Seems an untidy ending, but truth be told its definitely time to part ways .

The critical mistakes over the last 3 seasons fill a video on there own and factoring in thay sky high salary just shows what we've done wrong over the years.
At least we're finally taking steps to sort these mad contracts out.

georgipep

I'd be very surprised if he returned as #2. I think he will either be playing in Saudi next season or a club in Spain. The reporting on this has been poor imo and it seems De Gea himself has spoke to Spanish Journo Guillermo Rai (Madrid based) who was behind the The Athletic article which mentioned De Gea being wronged in the renewal process.

I consistently said he wouldn't be #1 next season, even when it was being reported about a contract renewal being close.
I doubt it as well, especially after his childish tweet today.

Big Ben Foster

Supports

Saudi interest aside, I think he'd make more money as a number 2 at United than as a number 1 in Spain. Wonder what matters more to him at this juncture of his career: money or playing time.

Skills

Snitch
I think it's a sad way to end his time here. Once again, it just highlights the clubs lack of proactive thinking - if he was to go, it should've been clear at the end of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Saudi interest aside, I think he'd make more money as a number 2 at United than as a number 1 in Spain. Wonder what matters more to him at this juncture of his career: money or playing time.
I think if he wants the money then a move to Saudi would be to his liking. But I guess a decision will depend on his Wife and his family about where to move. I think he's made a lot of money and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at a mid table club in Spain.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I can totally understand why this situation smells bad. However, I don't think there's one side to blame really.
If the reports are true, then he got the deal offer weeks back and didn't sign it. What means he was either considering his options or it was a negotiation tactic.
If it's the former, would you blame the club for considering other options as well?
If it's the latter, well it's a risky tactic because in the last few weeks his market value dropped significantly so Dave really has only himself to blame.
Probably it's both.

I don't understand what would you guys expect to be the right move from the club, just wait endlessly for De Gea to sign it? Of course each deal has an expiration date. The only grey area is maybe this should be on the deal. But how do we know it wasn't? It's all speculation.

On another note, I can totally understand why there isn't any comment from the club on this situation, I'd imagine there will be one tweet to thank him for his services - once he finds himself a new club. I see nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.