David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It’s the least he deserves is a testimonial Id of been happy for him to stay and put the added money towards a top striker rather than the average one we might be getting.
Only problem is that a testimonial would likely be against Atletico, and they'd probably shithouse a 1-0 win and celebrate like they'd won the World Cup.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Can’t help but feel he deserved a better ending to his United career.

Very fond memories of the times his saves were the only real difference between United and mid table.

Mas Risky

This man has been an impediment to us ever being a great defensive unit. Best paid keeper in the world, with one stand out skill. About time, bye Dave.
Nice farewell.

I wish him a good second act in his new club. He can prolong his career if he could find the right environment.

RVN1991

He was a dodgy fax machine away from not being able to do this or I should say not wanting to do this.
He should've left seeing what a joke this club and a large percentage of the fanbase is. At least Madrid fans are entitled for a reason.

Norris

Thank you Dave. Terrible way that the club handled his exit, but it was the right decision in the end.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Sad day. He was unreal for a few years and got us 12-15 points per season. Pity we recruited poorly and never could win trophies he deserved. Long has he been on the decline and this goodbye was inevitable. We can't be sentimental anymore.

Telsim

There is a massive chance that this was speculation. There is also a chance that we would have been willing to keep him for the right wages. I highly doubt we would be the only club to reach that conclusion, but we seem to be the only one criticized for every action we take. De Gea has been having howlers for years, he got to the end of the season to work with ETH. Where other players improved, DDG showed he couldn't modernize throughout the season, but still had enough about him to make good saves. It was clear he wasn't worth the wages but could be worth something. He's also spent many years with us and providing that 2nd chance to him wouldn't have been the worst move for the right price, especially considering the budget restrictions in this window. However, even that is pure speculation. DDG is a keeper who still feels he has good value, we are a team who don't feel hes worth the cost. Is he upset we feel this way? That is very likely.
No. It's been painfully apparent for some time De Gea no longer provides what the team needs, especially after the arrival of Ten Hag. There was absolutely no reason to offer him another contract, even as a second keeper. He would still demand significant wages, much larger than would be appropriate for that position. To believe he would just significantly slash his wages is extremely naive, because it just doesn't work that way, and I'd be very worried if this is what the decision makers in the club believed. It was time for him to go and it was the only logical conclusion. And most other clubs would most definitely have made the decision to cut him loose long before his contract expiration.

AndySmith1990

So unfortuante that a player of his talent only ever won 1 title. If he signed a decade earlier he would have left with rooms full of trophies
Think he's actually very fortunate to have played under the genius of Ferguson and won a title. Can't see any top managers these days picking a keeper like De Gea as #1. If he'd been at City or Liverpool he'd have been binned off like Hart and Mignolet

el3mel

I knew he wasn't good last few years but this is so sad. It will be so weird watching United without him.

One of the best keepers in our history and one of the very few bright spots of the post Fergie era. Saved United a lot of times when we were awful.

Good luck in your future move David.

buckooo1978

Good luck David.... genuinely a world class keeper for 5 or 6 years, multiple player of the year and some unbelievable performances. End of an era

Feel a bit sad at his leaving but its the right time - hope he gets a good move for his family.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
A class act, a cool guy, and lest we forget it - one of the greatest pure shot stoppers the PL has ever seen.

It’s time for Utd to move on, but I wish DDG the absolute best and I hope he stays in the PL if I’m honest as I Love seeing some of the saves he makes and I like him.

His wife is an absolute cracker as well isn’t she.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good luck to him, Legend and deserved better send off.

I hope he enjoys rest of his career wherever he plays.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
His shot stopping is ridiculously extraordinary. I’ll always remember those many world class saves. I wish him all the best. Top bloke. Never bad mouth the club and fans (at least not that I’ve heard of), even with all the swearings he received. Will be so weird to have another keeper.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He left as a free agent? That is tragic for one of the best shot stopper we ever had at United. He was one of the main reason for a lot of our successes post Sir Alex. He should have gotten a proper send off.

I wonder which club will be in for him. I hope he doesn't go to the Saudi league. He is still good enough to play at a big club.

ForeverRed1

Watching that goodbye video made me abit emosh and I’m very much in the we need a new keeper camp.

what a servant of the club, what a player and what a man.

feels like the end of a era but one that I think needs to end. A united legend through and through!

onwards and upwards now with a modern goalkeeper. ETH really isn’t a sentimental guy and I love that about him.

LordSpud

He was the last remaining link between SAF and the shit show we've become.

The right decision for him, a shame he couldn't have had a better send off, but truly feels like the end of an era now

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
There’s always time for a farewell game/gimmick. He’ll come visit us back sooner or later. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What’s all this “proper send off” moaning? What does that even look like? How often are players sold before the end of the season?
I'd imagine a testimonial - standard practice for players with 10+ years tenure at the club.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He left as a free agent? That is tragic for one of the best shot stopper we ever had at United. He was one of the main reason for a lot of our successes post Sir Alex. He should have gotten a proper send off.

I wonder which club will be in for him. I hope he doesn't go to the Saudi league. He is still good enough to play at a big club.
Well said. While it probably is the right thing, I still feel a bit sad that it ended like this.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Really unfortunate that he was at his prime when we had terrible managers coupled with terrible signings. Definitely had to go now though since he just isn't good enough for modern day football and his shot stopping us not good enough to make up for his limitations anymore.
Will always remember the brilliant saves and how good he was till about 2018. Hope he finds a decent club and goes on to have a good rest of his career!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Up there with Schmeichel & VDS, incredible keeper, but the timings right.

Hopefully he gets a testimonial at OT at some point, but FFS don't let it go to penalties :wenger:

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
I’m surprised that he’s actually left. There was that hoo har many years ago when Utd had ’fax machine issues’ but apart from that he’s been synonymous with the Utd brand, a stalwart in the side and he became, over time as the game changed and he didn’t, perhaps the last surviving non-kicking keeper still wearing the gloves at a modern top flight club.

I remember back in the days when defenders just defended and keepers stood on their goal line all game, and he was certainly ‘the man’ in that phase of the game’s development. Maybe the best there was at what he did best at that time and I’m sure that many of you will struggle to let go emotionally because of the special moments that you can remember.

IMO, for all the understandable sadness, this signals your club stepping up a level and I think you’ll see it in your results.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Testimonials are a bit old fashioned aren't they. Just send the man a nice message on social media
Not really, Rooney and Carrick both had testimonials for us in recent years. We just haven't had too many eligible players since the SAF era. Obviously there's also Jones, but he explicitly said he wouldn't want one.

RoyH1

Thank you for everything Dave. You will be missed

End of an era this

Good luck to him. He's been every bit the next in line to Schmeichel and VDS for the majority of his time here, and now it's time for everybody to move on.

This must also mean Onana is done and dusted or there is no way we would risk being totally keeper-less.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Conversely it could have motivated him to do better as he would know he has to be good to get a big move in the summer.

If anything him having a contract on the table might have made him too relaxed
Yep, that's definitely a possibility too. But personally I think my scenario of him falling apart at the end of the season was significantly more likely. Obviously we'll never know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if ETH was thinking the same.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Sad to see him go. I know he made some costly errors in recent years, but he was easily my favourite player since Fergie's retirement. There were a few seasons in there where he was the only player that could hold his head high at the end of the season.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's going to be so strange not seeing Dave in between the sticks for a united game!

Status
Not open for further replies.