David Hancko

Putting all banter aside

is he any good? know nothing about him
Yes he is very good. Best defender in the Eredivisie last season. Very steady on the ball, great positioning, he is fairly agile. Was one of the top defenders in the Euros for Slovakia and has been utter class for my team in the Netherlands.

ArmaDino

This lad must be the Todibo back up. I imagine he is going to be in a similar price range as well.

He's probably the most important player of Slot's tenure at Feyenoord and our best defender since John de Wolf.

Performance levels though, ooph. Ajax did a 6-0-0 in the CL group with Martinez I think. We aren't THAT good, though if all of our team were as good as Hancko we might have.

He's a also very different player. He's extremely composed and relaxed and reads the game well as opposed to being an extremely tenacious tackler like Martinez.

Let's say they're both clearly too good for the Eredivisie. I also don't doubt he will adept to the premier league level.

Oh, Hancko is taller and as far as I know never injured.
Sounds like Rio the more I read about him. Pace to burn, good on the ball, can pick a pass. We might even have our Rio-Vidic partnership regen in Martinez and this fell.

Bojan Djordjic

This lad must be the Todibo back up. I imagine he is going to be in a similar price range as well.

Sounds like Rio the more I read about him. Pace to burn, good on the ball, can pick a pass. We might even have our Rio-Vidic partnership regen in Martinez and this fell.
Are they not both left cbs?

Redivy

I really like this player. His ability on the ball is elite for a defender. I want us to sign a player who can cover both LB and LCB.

My view is that Amass is clearly the next player who is on track to breakthrough, and Shaw is likely to start when fit. But we know Amass still has some development before his role in the squad grows, and Shaw has injury problems consistently. We also need to have backup for Martinez who can help maintain our style in case he is injured or being rested.

So with all that to be considered, a player like Hancko will probably play 30-35 games for us across all competitions. In the case of injury that number could easily approach 50 games.

A deal around 25-30 million would be amazing, but Feyenoord could expect closer to 35m.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Are they not both left cbs?
You're correct.

De Ligt seems to be the Todibo alternative and Hancko is probably seen as the Branthwaite alternative, but I must stress that I'm not sure if Branthwaite can play the LCB/LB role as well as Hancko who looks a very capable player in that regard and has the potential to provide a high level of tactical flexibility due to him being a rotation option for both Martinez and Shaw at LCB and LB.

I think the move that makes sense here from a football perspective is for us is to sign Hancko and the money saved on wages and transfer fee could possibly help us sign a midfielder who has the potential to aid our build up play rather than being overly reliant on the backline and Mainoo.

Last edited:

Redivy

You're correct.

De Ligt seems to be the Todibo alternative and Hancko is probably seen as the Branthwaite alternative, but I must stress that I'm not sure if Branthwaite can play the LCB/LB role as well as Hancko who looks a very capable player in that regard and has the potential to provide a high level of tactical flexibility due to him being a rotation option for both Martinez and Shaw at LCB and LB.

I think the move that makes sense here from a football perspective is for us is to sign Hancko and the money saved on wages and transfer fee could possibly help us sign a midfielder who has the potential to aid our build up play rather than relying on the backline and Mainoo.
Yeah it does seem like we're after a LCB/LB hybrid. I wonder if we might experiment with a 3-5-2 next season?

It seems like De Ligt will be the RCB, and they want a LCB/LB. I think Yoro is one of those unique opportunities in the market and theres a player with world class potential who could be bought for a decent fee. Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger and figure out the rest later.

Im now expecting Lindelof and Maguire to both depart.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah it does seem like we're after a LCB/LB hybrid. I wonder if we might experiment with a 3-5-2 next season?

It seems like De Ligt will be the RCB, and they want a LCB/LB. I think Yoro is one of those unique opportunities in the market and theres a player with world class potential who could be bought for a decent fee. Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger and figure out the rest later.

Im now expecting Lindelof and Maguire to both depart.
I think signing a player who can cover at both LCB and LB is the way to go. I mentioned Calafiori as someone who fits the bill in that regard earlier in the year, when the hype hadn't taken hold. But Hancko again is another opportunity for that type of player and I don't believe he'd cost as much as what Calafiori will be sold for.

Branthwaite I don't believe can play that role to a high enough level and moving Martinez to LB weakens our build up capability because Branthwaite isn't on the same level in-possession. I don't see what the sense is in signing Branthwaite for the money it will take to prise him away from Everton, unless we switch to a 3 at the back.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Feck Everton and their greed. Bring this Slovak monster to United, and LET's GO!

caid

I think signing a player who can cover at both LCB and LB is the way to go. I mentioned Calafiori as someone who fits the bill in that regard earlier in the year, when the hype hadn't taken hold. But Hancko again is another opportunity for that type of player and I don't believe he'd cost as much as what Calafiori will be sold for.

Branthwaite I don't believe can play that role to a high enough level and moving Martinez to LB weakens our build up capability because Branthwaite isn't on the same level in-possession. I don't see what the sense is in signing Branthwaite for the money it will take to prise him away from Everton, unless we switch to a 3 at the back.
I think most of the attraction with Branthwaite is what he'll be in 2 or 3 years time. I think Hancko and most of the other targets we seem to be looking at will be better today. Maybe they're riskier in terms of settling in the league but they're more obvious fits in terms of squad make up. You can see both Brantwaite and Martinez doing a job at left back but it looks an awkward fit for both and a temporary solution. Even doing a job i expect it to be a case by case basis where they struggle against certain kinds of wingers or set ups and so bad injury cover where you have to use them against everyone
Theres probably a risk that we've been spoiled by Maguire, Varane and Smalling over the years and the aerial presence they've provided will be sorely missed but its just such a steep, steep price. I guess you dont really care how much they cost if they're great and work out. Maybe you splash out on your top target.
These kind of deals look much more attractive to me personally. But then i dont really know this guy or Inacio or the other names that have popped up.