Davide Petrucci

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Badly needs a loan. He is 21 in a few days and hasnt kicked a ball outside of reserve football at club level.

Cold_Boy

He must have been slighted disappointed to see Powell come in and basically take his window of opportunity, especially after he finished last season so strongly.

In regards to a loan, I can sort of understand why he hasn't been sent out. The type of player he is means to benefit him the most we would need to find a club with the right environment that suits his style of play and can also guarantee him games. Unfortunately I don't think any Championship clubs fit this criteria currently. No point sending him out to sit on the bench, he would be better off here training with better players.
I think a championship help him the most.

A new environment and lets see if he can adjust.

Will be the maing of him, imo rather than Reserve football.

Hope he goes out on loan in Jan.

Widnes

if he doesn't go out soon then time is running out for him, he isn't likely to get a kick for the first team this season and a younger player has came in and juped ahead in the pecking order

Cold_Boy

How would people rate Petrucci against Powell?

Cause I think passing wise Powell hasn't shown he is much better.(even though I know Petrucci plays only reserve level. But we can see the talent.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In my opinion, Powell hasn't shown anything at all so for, apart from his shooting. I'm not making any judgements yet though because it is very early days for him and just looking at his YouTube videos from his time at Crewe shows he's capable of more than he's shown.

With regards to Petrucci, I'm just not sure how good he is really. He's the oldest of these reserve players, yet he is constantly overlooked. He just seems a bit scrappy at times. He never had the quality or class of Pogba, even though people thought he was playing better than Pogba towards the end of last season.

Even tonight, I thought Larnell Cole is the only player to show any real quality, as Skeppy said. I think these last two games that I've managed to catch, he's been pretty rubbish. Perhaps a loan will be the making of him and he will step up; we need to find out soon because it's a waste of time him playing in the reserves. The one major thing that Powell has over him is that he played a lot of games at League 1 level, which even though isn't good quality, is experience against men instead of kids.

For what it's worth, I saw Petrucci outside Old Trafford at the end of last season and thought he's a lot smaller (really small framed and skinny) in real life than he looked on camera.

prateik

Badly needs a loan. He is 21 in a few days and hasnt kicked a ball outside of reserve football at club level.
Age really isnt that big a factor...

Busquets and Pedro didnt make it to the Barca first team squads till they were around 21 either. Petrucci lost around 18 months because of injuries.
There are plenty of players that make the step up late.

As long as the player doesnt get frustrated, the age thing isnt important.

That said, I think he is ready for championship football at the very least.

Maybe even a loan deal at a smaller club in the premier league in Jan.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
In my opinion, Powell hasn't shown anything at all so for, apart from his shooting. I'm not making any judgements yet though because it is very early days for him and just looking at his YouTube videos from his time at Crewe shows he's capable of more than he's shown.

With regards to Petrucci, I'm just not sure how good he is really. He's the oldest of these reserve players, yet he is constantly overlooked. He just seems a bit scrappy at times. He never had the quality or class of Pogba, even though people thought he was playing better than Pogba towards the end of last season.

Even tonight, I thought Larnell Cole is the only player to show any real quality, as Skeppy said. I think these last two games that I've managed to catch, he's been pretty rubbish. Perhaps a loan will be the making of him and he will step up; we need to find out soon because it's a waste of time him playing in the reserves. The one major thing that Powell has over him is that he played a lot of games at League 1 level, which even though isn't good quality, is experience against men instead of kids.

For what it's worth, I saw Petrucci outside Old Trafford at the end of last season and thought he's a lot smaller (really small framed and skinny) in real life than he looked on camera.
Woah woah woah you gotta chill bro.

Pogba showed he was class but there were also times where he looked poor, the same can be said for Petrucci.

There was a time he was being heralded as the new Totti and on here people were excited about him but that long spell out has taken much from him in terms of development so it's only fair that exceptions are made for him.

pocco

loco
To be honest, it says more about Pogba and how highly I rate him. He showed at times that he had a bit of Paul Scholes class about him, there were games were other midfielders couldn't get near him. He was Rolls Royce that lad.

Petrucci is a bit more hustle and bustle for me. He has some great vision and passing ability, but in my opinion he's just not at Pogbas level. The fact that Pogba was on the periphery of our first team said it all really, whilst Petrucci is still languising in our reserves.

I don't want it to sound like I'm writing him off, but something does need to happen for him soon. He seems to have fallen behind Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Powell and perhaps Larnell Cole though.

Cold_Boy

I rate Petrucci pretty well but tbh Pogba did seem absolute class or you could tell he will be absolute class in future whenever I saw him play.

Sadly the cnut left and I hope he turns out shit(which seems unlikely)

Forevergiggs

Badly needs a loan.

We haven't done very well with sending player out on loans this term. I wonder what is going on. I hope the U-21 league is not a deterrent ase the standard so far has been the same as the previous reserves league.

thegregster

Age really isnt that big a factor...

Busquets and Pedro didnt make it to the Barca first team squads till they were around 21 either. Petrucci lost around 18 months because of injuries.
There are plenty of players that make the step up late.

As long as the player doesnt get frustrated, the age thing isnt important.

That said, I think he is ready for championship football at the very least.

Maybe even a loan deal at a smaller club in the premier league in Jan.
They did get games with Barca B who play in the Spainsh second division.

prateik

The Spanish lower leagues are very poor. The structure isnt the same as English football.*

*From what I've heard. I've never seen them play

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Petrucci looked at his most promising when he was in the academy, in my opinion. A huge talent back then. In the reserves, Pogba took the piss at times in a way that Petrucci has never done. Again though....injuries.

Injuries haven't just made a huge dent in the career of our first teamers, but pretty much every exceptional up and coming talent we have had in the last few years. The amount of time that the likes of Fabio, Rafael, Smalling and Petrucci have been out for has been absolutely ridiculous. All four of them should be first teamers by now if their level of talent and starts to the career here are anything to go by. Then you've got the likes of Cleverley, King and Jones too, and Morrison wasn't exactly injury free either. It's just got to pretty much everyone at very key points in their careers. Even now you've Januzaj who has played far less football recently than is ideal and who suffered a very large setback last year.

One of the few players that hasn't suffered dreadfully is Pogba, but he's not even ours anymore!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He looked every bit as promising as Pogba before his injury nightmare. Now he's been back for a season after being out for 2 and certainly up until the summer break he was steadily getting sharper month by month. I think he might have reached a point now where he needs a higher level of footie to keep that progression going. I'd be very disappointed if he spends the entire season with the u21s. Sir obviously sees something very special in Powell, which is exciting, but as of now Petrucci has more to offer and I hope he gets a chance to prove himself soon.

pocco

loco
Why does Petrucci have more to offer? He's not even playing well for the reserves and im finding his game a bit scrappy. Most midfielders in the premiership would dominate him I think. He needs a loan but he needs to be in the Championship or League 1 where hopefully he can be allowed play his game.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Why does Petrucci have more to offer? He's not even playing well for the reserves and im finding his game a bit scrappy. Most midfielders in the premiership would dominate him I think. He needs a loan but he needs to be in the Championship or League 1 where hopefully he can be allowed play his game.
Cause every game they've both been involved in so far strongly suggest so. His passing game is way more mature. As is his positioning.

pocco

loco
Cause every game they've both been involved in so far strongly suggest so. His passing game is way more mature. As is his positioning.
I know but we've not seen Petrucci in the first team and Powell has probably still not settled down here, let alone got any sort of regular game time. He's suffering the same as Pogba did at the moment - he's not playing games for the reserves because he's always in the first team squad, but he's not getting regular involvement at first team level. In the end, he's not playing any sort of regular football so far. Hope this doesn't continue.

Revan

Assumptionman
What is going on with him? I haven't seen reserves playing, so I hope that someone here can answer. How he is doing on reserves? I find it strange that Powell is playing for the first team while he is not doing it although is 2 years older.

MPTutd

Could be completely unrelated, but he seems to have not played since the had that scrap with Nani.

Anyway, I am now pretty convinced he will not make it at United. Good player, but not good enough.

Brightonian

Could be completely unrelated, but he seems to have not played since the had that scrap with Nani.

Anyway, I am now pretty convinced he will not make it at United. Good player, but not good enough.
Strongly disagree. He's shown more than enough. During the season when everyone was crowing that Pogba should be getting chances, Petrucci was actually playing better than him. As is usual these days, the club has utterly failed to strike whilst the iron is hot (or even tepid). If we didn't think we could give him chances in the first team, he should have got a loan. If we don't do so soon, someone will pick him up for a pittance and he'll quickly shine for them.

MPTutd

That is where I believe the problem lies. We never gave him a chance when the time was right. I don't think he has been that great this season, albeit he has been injured for part of it. I just don't seem him developing to be better than Cleverley or Powell, who I think are his direct competition.

My biggest problem with him is that he seems to take too long on the ball. Very similar in that respect to his mate Macheda.

Either way, he needs a loan for the second half of the season. And if he does not set the world alight during his loan, I don't see any way back.

MPTutd

Another thing, I think the club rate both Cole and Lingard higher, which can be seen in the appearances on the subs bench in some CC and CL games.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think that when you have a player making as little progress towards the first team as Petrucci is, considering his age, you have to conclude that there is scant chance of him making it here.

pocco

loco
Strongly disagree. He's shown more than enough. During the season when everyone was crowing that Pogba should be getting chances, Petrucci was actually playing better than him. As is usual these days, the club has utterly failed to strike whilst the iron is hot (or even tepid). If we didn't think we could give him chances in the first team, he should have got a loan. If we don't do so soon, someone will pick him up for a pittance and he'll quickly shine for them.
He was playing better during what was a troubled period for Pogba, as we now know. Was obvious he never had the talent of Pogba, and that is why he was constantly overlooked.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Agreed.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He's been out with an injury for some time but obviously must be fit again now.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He was playing better during what was a troubled period for Pogba, as we now know. Was obvious he never had the talent of Pogba, and that is why he was constantly overlooked.
Revisionism. He was a truly outstanding prospect before being out for 2 years. But obviously that cost him. Could still be a very fine player, mind.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He's good enough, been unlucky with injuries, last year was one of great progress for him (was with the squad away to Spurs) and he played a lot of Football. He was/is the reserve team captain and comes across very well. This year he's not kicked on as I would have liked but there's plenty of time left. Foolish to write him off, but I am disappointed that he's had little game time with the First XI. Admittedly in the COC we used it as a means of giving squad players game time in the midfield and up top. As for the Galatasaray game it was too early for him I guess, just back from injury and we're never going to risk inexperience centrally.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't understand why he was given a 3yr contract if we're not playing him. Surely at this age he should play more.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I haven't watched too much of the reserves this season, but he was excellent last season, one of best players if not the best, so just because he was injured lately people are convinced he won't make it at united? :houllier:

thegregster

I don't understand why he was given a 3yr contract if we're not playing him. Surely at this age he should play more.
He has just gone 21 and he hasnt played a senior club game anywhere. Not his fault due to injuries obviously but you have to wonder if it has significantly damage his development. He still has a chance I think but he needs games fast.

Will Absolute

His importance to the reserves has been evident since his injury. With him we dominated, without him the reserve midfield looks like the first team midfield on a bad day.

I find it strange that Lingard and Cole were given chances and Petrucci didn't get a sniff. Imo he was far better than either last year. Maybe the management thank the other two have a higher ceiling, and Petrucci is as good as he's going to get. Who knows?

pocco

loco
I haven't watched too much of the reserves this season, but he was excellent last season, one of best players if not the best, so just because he was injured lately people are convinced he won't make it at united? :houllier:
Yeah that's it, just because he's injured lately we don't think he'll make it. Well done.

I think some see our reserve players very differently to what I and others do. People look at Petrucci and saw him playing well last season, but that's not what it's all about. He's nother really shown that extra bit of magic that sets him apart from the others and I think that's what the coaches are looking for at that level. Hence why players like Pogba and Morrison get a chance at 17/18, whilst 21 year old Petrucci doesn't get a sniff. It was the same with Eikrem, he played well without ever really excelling.

Will Absolute

Yeah that's it, just because he's injured lately we don't think he'll make it. Well done.

I think some see our reserve players very differently to what I and others do. People look at Petrucci and saw him playing well last season, but that's not what it's all about. He's nother really shown that extra bit of magic that sets him apart from the others and I think that's what the coaches are looking for at that level. Hence why players like Pogba and Morrison get a chance at 17/18, whilst 21 year old Petrucci doesn't get a sniff. It was the same with Eikrem, he played well without ever really excelling.
Petrucci missed two years, so in terms of development he's just turning 19. I think Eikrem refused a loan. I agree the coaches are probably thinking potential more than actual.