Davide Petrucci

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Off the first teamers I can only think of:

Wes, Gibson, Owen, Obertan, Bebe and perhaps Fabio who SAF will feel need to play against Crawley because he hasn't been giving them games recently.

I hope the other positions are filled up by lads in the reserves who've done will this season like Morrison, King etc.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The goalscorer was immediately withdrawn and replaced by Petrucci, who has been out of action since late January 2010 with a longstanding pelvic injury. The highly-rated Italian soon set about showcasing his wares with a fine half-hour of midfield playmaking.

manutd.com

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Fantastic news. Petrucci is a real talent. Hope he can stay fit and kick on.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Fantastic news. Petrucci is a real talent. Hope he can stay fit and kick on.
Absolutely

He looked a class act and way ahead in his development of other players his same age before the injury.

Alex

Is there an actual name for that problem other than back problems? As far as I was aware Gerard's problems were directly related to growth spurts and the danger of risking serious long term issues by playing and even training during that period.
TSC, no not tuberous sclerosis, but The Scouse Complex

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The goalscorer was immediately withdrawn and replaced by Petrucci, who has been out of action since late January 2010 with a longstanding pelvic injury. The highly-rated Italian soon set about showcasing his wares with a fine half-hour of midfield playmaking.

manutd.com
Sounds good. :)

Tried to find out when his problems started, and it seems like he stopped playing regulary at this time of year in 2009. He has been out for two years then.

PS18

Exactly two years ago today was the start of his injury problems really. Played in a game away at City on Feb 14th 2009, was out for about 8 months, came back for a couple of months either side of Christmas in 09/10 and was then out from Jan 28th until yesterday.

Name Changed

weso26
He could be a really good player. Hopefully he is fully over his injuries and can develop as most hope and believe that he can. I think he has the potential to be involved with the first team squad on a regular basis, much more so than Macheda was.

Hans Moleman

Joyce delighted for Petrucci

Reserves manager Warren Joyce has paid tribute to Davide Petrucci, who made his long-awaited return from injury in last weekend’s Lancashire Senior Cup win over Oldham.

The Italian has endured horrendous misfortune with injury since arriving at United in 2008. A pelvic injury in early 2009 sidelined him for eight months, before a relapse kept him out of action between January 2010 and last weekend.

A half-hour cameo against the Latics provided the 19-year-old with a welcome return to competitive action, and his eye-catching display on the left of midfield served a timely reminder of his brimming potential.

“It’s great to see Petrucci playing again,” Joyce told ManUtd.com. “The kid’s worked so hard over the past few months to get back, and he’s now had a spell of five or six weeks where he’s trained every day with the lads.

“Once things got a bit relaxed against Oldham and we went 3-0 up, it was a good time to put him on. I nudged him and said ‘just go and have that Zidane role on the left’, and he just looked at me and smiled. But to be fair, he picked up clever positions and I felt a bit sorry for their full-back.

“He’d had Gabby (Obertan) running at him for an hour and then he was posed with a different problem; not actually having anyone up against him, somebody in clever positions so he didn’t know whether to go in or stay back.

“I’m pleased to see him playing again, and I was also really pleased with how he played. He’s so smooth on the ball and comfortable in possession, and I was really pleased with how he did. He’s worked so hard and he deserves it.”

datura

There's an interview with Petrucci (who speaks very good English) on Young, Gifted and Red. Comes across as a great kid and very focused.

On the injury:

'It's very good now. I feel like the happiest guy on the earth 'cause I wasn't able to play and it was very frustrating for me, now when I go out on the pitch even kicking the ball around is very good.

I always had my family around me, and very good people around me at Carrington as well, a few friends, Italian and English and they helped me a lot. But even though that wasn't a very easy moment..very difficult and tough.

On Macheda:

'I've known him since I was 10. I used to play for Roma and he used to play for Lazio and we used to play for the same national team as well and we were always in the same room so I know him very well and he's like a brother for me.

We used to play at least 3 or 4 games against each other a year and that was funny because we were rivals during the year, then there was a period when we used to play for the national team together and we were great friends then'

On the kind of player he thinks he is:

'I think I can play in the middle, midfielder, but probably going forward is the best thing I can do because I like to set up some goals for my teammates, and sometimes I feel as good as (when) I score, it's a good feeling that other people score.

When I was in Rome I used to play more in (the) midfield area, but when I moved here Paul McGuinness and Warren Joyce thought probably my best position was behind the striker and I think it's good'

On Warren Joyce:

'He's very good. He can do both the funny way and also he knows how to make you work hard.

I think you have to work hard. it's the most important thing in football, and in everything, but at the same time you need to have a laugh as well because otherwise you become too straight.'

On playing again

'It's the best feeling ever. You know when you play every day you don't really understand how privileged you are playing football, but when you are out and you see guys going out playing football and you have to stay in and do just gym and fitness things it's very frustrating...it was a good lesson for me and definitely will help me for the future'

On losing development time

'Yeah, I wasn't able to play..the lads improved, but now I feel good so I'm ready to work day and night if I have to.

I'm very positive and I know what I want, I've got targets so even though I lost a bit of time I'm very focused and I'm sure I'll get it back.

My target is just to be back fully fit and it will take me 2 more weeks. I've got a target as I said, and I don't really care what is happening around me I just go straight (down) my road'

Raulduke

Good to see that he's using the experience of the injury in a positive way. He's such a talented player too that having the right attitude makes it all the more likely he can become a top player.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Good to see that he's using the experience of the injury in a positive way. He's such a talented player too that having the right attitude makes it all the more likely he can become a top player.
Indeed.

Cheers, datura.

MalteseRedDevil

saw his interview after yesterdays reserve game. his English is really good for an Italian. Probably better than macehdas.

Good perfromance. HAS two really good feet and an eye for a pass. In a way he coould potentially become the sort of player we are all looking to sign for teh 1st team.

Minkaro

In a way he coould potentially become the sort of player we are all looking to sign for teh 1st team.
That'd be brilliant. So much nicer when we bring someone through the academy rather than having to splash the cash.

Clique

I still see he's playing from the bench. His ball for the penalty was perfectly weighed. What are his chances of getting into the Carling Cup squad for next season. Pogba and Morrison have been talked up a lot, but this lad (from the highlights) has the ability to fill the creative midfielder which the muppets seem to eager to sign. What say regular reserve tards, Carling cup? Yay or Nay?

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
I still see he's playing from the bench. His ball for the penalty was perfectly weighed. What are his chances of getting into the Carling Cup squad for next season. Pogba and Morrison have been talked up a lot, but this lad (from the highlights) has the ability to fill the creative midfielder which the muppets seem to eager to sign. What say regular reserve tards, Carling cup? Yay or Nay?
We should sign Pirlo for a few years then Petrucci can learn from him and eventually take over.

Drainy

If he stays clear of injury and has a good full pre-season, I think he has the talent to have a 'Darron Gibson' like involvement with the first team next year. Coming in for certain games and then being taken out for a few, if you get what I mean.

Certainly has the potential to be involved given his level of ability

Name Changed

weso26
I'd love to see him in and around the League Cup squad for next season. He definitely has the attributes to become a very good player. He seems to look really good every time he comes off the bench. I'm surprised he hasn't started more despite the fact that he is coming off a very bad injury. He will only improve anyway. Great prospect.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
Hasn't pirlo already signed for Juve. The old lady of Italy to Juve jokes abound i thought that was a done deal. What'll Pirlo teach young Petrucci what scholesy can't teach, tackling perhaps?:smirk:
Sorry didn't realise Pirlo had signed for Juve,also I rekon Scholesy will be gone at the end of the season :(

Would be amazing for him to stay on as a coach though

Edit Pirlo has just been quoted on Twitter as saying he hasn't spoken to Juve so he may still be a possible short term signing for us.

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
Technically, is Petrucci 'the' best in the Youth team currently?

Morrison has been talked a lot on his natural balance etc, Pogba - though being labelled as a beast and I have seen footage of his being quite techically gifted as well .. But Petrucci, being labelled a while ago as the new Totti, is he technically more superb? (ok, let's assume he will fully recover to his best from the lengthy injury that he has endured) ..

Drainy

Technically, is Petrucci 'the' best in the Youth team currently?

Morrison has been talked a lot on his natural balance etc, Pogba - though being labelled as a beast and I have seen footage of his being quite techically gifted as well .. But Petrucci, being labelled a while ago as the new Totti, is he technically more superb? (ok, let's assume he will fully recover to his best from the lengthy injury that he has endured) ..
I'd ignore labels, to be honest. Petrucci is 19 so he's not a youth player anymore, technically ;)

Its difficult to say who is the best technically out of the three. It depends on what you value because they all have different strengths.
If you value straight up first touch, ball manipulation, pass appreciation and accuracy etc then he's certainly superb, he's not as 'tricky' as Morrison and Pogba but thats not necessarily a bad thing IMO.
He was also very good at long range shooting before his injury, but seems to have lost something from that. Although its possibly just rust.
At a push, if i had to make a call I'd say Pogba is the all round purely 'most technically gifted' of the three. He is superb at a lot of different things.

What I like about Petrucci (Morrison has it too) is that he always has a picture in his mind of what is going on and how to exploit it. Just hope he can stay clear of injury and develop the way he should next year.

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
Thanks again Drainy, for the insights..

It's just a bit of after-math of being tortured in midfield in the CL final..
We all already knew since last year .. and we always know how good a midfield they have and that's where that Engine room dictate everything they could offer.. Makes the defenders look easy and free the forward to just smell goals ..

Not bad to have someone who's technically good, good awareness but do nothing else superbly like scoring goals.. Xavi doesn't score that often, but you take your hat off seeing how he plays..

Now, I am not asking who from our Youth can be a Xavi.. I think he's just that one-off even for Barca's standard. You get 1 such players in 10-yrs cycle and you should consider yourself absolutely lucky..

I have a lot of expectations from our current crop of youngsters.. seeing how they've played, reading how different characteritics they possessed etc.. Hope a few of them could make it, reallY!

Clique

Now more than ever we need this lad to step up and be counted. My liking for this kid has been because some of his vision has been scholesy-esque and he has the ability to actually execute those passes. He's a bit slow, but his technique and ability are very very special. Don't think his pace is going to be too much of a problem though!.

He reminds me of Scholesly from what i've seen in the highlights reel. But given an option I want a younger scholesy back

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Now more than ever we need this lad to step up and be counted. My liking for this kid has been because some of his vision has been scholesy-esque and he has the ability to actually execute those passes. He's a bit slow, but his technique and ability are very very special. Don't think his pace is going to be too much of a problem though!.

He reminds me of Scholesly from what i've seen in the highlights reel. But given an option I want a younger scholesy back
I'd like Duncan Edwards and George Best back but we have to move on.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You see a lot more reserve action than i do, Inigo!. You accept my views that petrucci has a bit of a younger scholesy in him?
Actually, Datura,Decotron,Mr Mujac are the experts I catch the games on TV but up close it's a diffferent ball game....but yes Petrucci has an eye for a pass but if we arethrowing these incredible comparisons around then Ravel Morrison has that touch of magic that Scholes has...with more pace

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I can't help thinking that replacing Scholes might have been a lot easier if it wasn't for Davide's injury nightmare. What do you guys reckon is in store for him next season? Hopefully, a decent pre-season will remove some of the rust. If all the signs are that he's 100% recovered, I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out, certainly not in January.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I would think the staff would prefer keeping a close eye on him for another 6 months or a season.. Probably a loan in January? If he proves he is too good for the reserves before then (which I am suspecting he will)