Day 1: Opening Ceremony and Russia vs Saudi Arabia (Kick-off: 16h00 BST)

Robbie Boy

I watched them against Germany the other night and they weren’t that bad. But feck me Russia destroyed them tonight.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Winning 5-0 at home on the opening day.... Saudis are shit but the confidence this brings to Russia is massive. And the goal difference. Basically a draw in one of their last 2 games puts them through, and it's not like Egypt or Uruguay are superpowers. Will be tight for both of those.
Yep. A draw v Egypt and Russia will be through unless Egypt draw with Uruguay.

Think Egypt are being massively overrated here because of Salah. We've seen great strikers in the past stuggle to get into tournaments when they play with weaker players than they do for their clubs.

You wouldn't really say Egypt have that superior players in other areas of the pitch to Russia.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I don't think anyone saw this result coming. Congrats to Russia! So happy for them. To all those moaning, 5 goals in a World Cup opening match, shut up.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Saudi Keepers are actually trained by Oliver Kahn

0161_UNITED

Congrats Russia, always nice for the hosts to have a good start.
I would like to acknowledge this post as a smelly, dark yellow and dehydrated, cheap lager induced, small drip of piss that stained my nice shoes :)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So the Russian are on a completely other level?
Saudi in their own environment (Asia) are a very decent team, very much a regional powerhouse.

Their style of play however gets exposed though once they play good european teams though. And Russia.

It's a little similar to Russian clubs in champions league, always strong at home but struggle so much in away games. Turkish and greek teams are also similar.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Saudi Arabia won't hang around for long in this WC.
They remind me of a woeful Tennis player who turns up at Wimbledon first round, loses 6-1, 6-2, 6-1 and takes home their paycheck.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He may be the official GK coach, but Kahn also signed with the Saudis to make Saudi keepers great again.
Ah don't know Kahn's role but didn't see him sitting on the bench so Hoek is very much the one training them on a daily basis at the tournament.

AshRK

Nice start to the world cup but both teams would be thrashed against a better side. Saudi have just shamed themselves. First game of the WC, all eyes on them and they do this. Surely not the right publicity.

Jam

Anyone got a link to a decent stream of the opening ceremony?

Can't be arsed sitting through ITV Hub adverts

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
How are ITV showing the main square in Moscow out the window one second, then inside the stadium the next? Can’t be teles because that’s clearly a window out into the square behind them. Weird.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Saudi in their own environment (Asia) are a very decent team, very much a regional powerhouse.

Their style of play however gets exposed though once they play good european teams though. And Russia.

It's a little similar to Russian clubs in champions league, always strong at home but struggle so much in away games. Turkish and greek teams are also similar.
That's what makes me think Russia will do well in this tournament.

RoyH1

Pizzi might not want to fly to Saudi Arabia when this is over :lol:

promisedlanchiao

Russia decent with players of quality not filling the pitch, but sprinkling the pitch, if you could put it that way. Saudi just awful and probably put out the worst performance I have ever seen at a World Cup from keeper to their supposed talismanic striker al sahlawi, and i saw north korea games in 2010, including the 7-0 to portugal.

Crowd got behind Russia very well and spurred them on in the early stages and was worth at least two goals. One person who was just straight up brilliant in the match though was Golovin, absolutely outstanding and showed his undoubted quality along with work rate and fighting spirit.

Jose, snap him up. I think he’s still about 21 as well. Still so much potential to realise for Golovin.