Day 1: Opening Ceremony and Russia vs Saudi Arabia (Kick-off: 16h00 BST)

Wayne's World

Russia really are a poor side going into this that I can't feel confident in them winning their first game.

0-0 or 1-1 for me

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Predicting VAR to make a scene.

klsv

Oh boy, I love the World Cup so much. Literally don't care one bit about the teams today, but already got drinks in the cold and am eagerly waiting for it to start :drool:

Russians themselves seem to have zero faith in their team, still can't see anything but a Russian win here. Bit tempted on putting something on a 1-1 draw at 9,6 though.

doomy20

Saudis looked very decent in their friendly against Germany. Also watched 2 friendlies of Russia, they are shocking.
I´ll go for a boring 1-1 draw.

wythyred

I genuinely can't wait for this. I was saying the other day that my football withdrawal symptoms are at an all time high so regardless of the quality of the teams being poor I don't care.

Ps. Footballs coming home :drool:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Maybe I'm wrong but it used to be the last world cup winner opened the world cup. I thought Germany was playing but I guess they changed that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe I'm wrong but it used to be the last world cup winner opened the world cup. I thought Germany was playing but I guess they changed that.
France were the last to do that in 2002 but they lost their opener IIRC. In 2006, 2010 and 2010, no hosting country has lost the opening game of the tournament.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I doubt Russia will lose, but maybe the occasion gets to them. They're not a great team themselves after all.

Bole Top

the oppening is just brutal. Russia - Arabia, followed by Uruguay - Egypt and Morocco - Iran.

drdoityourself

3-0 Russia, you read it here first*

* Maybe you've seen the same 3-0 prediction for the game somewhere else. If so, the statement above is false, and for that I apologize.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

You can only know it's a shit game once it's been played! People shouldn't just look at the names of the teams and decide it'll be a bad game. Some of these games between lower ranked nations produce goal fests! You just don't know! It's like looking at a minging fat bird in a night club and dismissing her. Then you sink about 15 pints and take her home. Usually she turns out to be the best ever as she's so grateful. Or so my mate tells me anyway :lol:

Hephaestus

Shame they've changed it cos France losing in the first game is one of my favourite world cup memories. Our teacher basically snuck the entire class up to the one room in school with a tv so we could all watch it. I'd love to have seen Germany face Mexico in the first game instead of this.

Kearnkoff69

I'm actually really excited for this. It's nice to have a whole month of football, and since I'm at work during the day I can choose which games to watch on replay and skip the duds.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Huge game for both with regards to future qualification prospects, even more for Russia being hosts.

Going to say Russia 2-0 but I can't be very confident in that at all and both teams are rather rubbish from what I can gather.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
France were the last to do that in 2002 but they lost their opener IIRC. In 2006, 2010 and 2010, no hosting country has lost the opening game of the tournament.
France v Senegal, Germany v Costa Rica, South Africa v Mexico and Brazil v Croatia. Vividly remember every single one of them. The SA v Mexico one was similar to today in terms of team status and it was a fairly okay game.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
France v Senegal, Germany v Costa Rica, South Africa v Mexico and Brazil v Croatia. Vividly remember every single one of them. The SA v Mexico one was similar to today in terms of team status and it was a fairly okay game.
Tshabalala’s screamer :drool:

There’s nothing like the World Cup for me. It’ll be awesome once again.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Meh...

The off field antics with Spain will prove to be more entertaining than what's on the pitch.
That's what football is all about...Off field shithousery

Nick7

Missing the opening game, and every game tomorrow too. Going to see the National, so I'll be out all day.