Day 1: Opening Ceremony and Russia vs Saudi Arabia (Kick-off: 16h00 BST)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If the groom knows his audience he'll have it projected on a big screen, surely? :p

Otherwise I hope you have unlimited 4G!
On the one hand he loves football. On the other hand he is a very devout (like on a medieval level) Christian. So there won't be a big screen I'm afraid.

I'd feel bad for watching it on my phone, because I've known the guy for over 30 years.

Oh well, I'll watch the highlights :)

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What time is the opening ceremony? For the first time in my life I'm looking forward to it.

ninjaskill

Dont sleep on Iran vs Morocco too. That could become quite entertaining.
Morocco conceded once in qualifying I think, or maybe none, while Iran were similarly solid at the back and only scored something like 12 goals in 10 Asian qualifying games so I think it will be a low scorer

Robertd0803

Looking forward to it because its football and can be unbiased for once. Imagine if Russia lose though, can imagine that going down well.

Side note, love the Luzniki stadium even if I cant spell it.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Morocco conceded once in qualifying I think, or maybe none, while Iran were similarly solid at the back and only scored something like 12 goals in 10 Asian qualifying games so I think it will be a low scorer
Morocco conceded 0 goals in qualification, Iran conceded 2 but both of those were in the last game when they were already qualified.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Must be the least interesting opening game in a WC ever.
I might put it on, but have no intention to pay any attention.

Alabaster Codify7

Morocco conceded 0 goals in qualification, Iran conceded 2 but both of those were in the last game when they were already qualified.

Morocco are striking me as a team I may be under-estimating, looking at their recent(ish) form. Potential dark horse in the group.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Morocco are striking me as a team I may be under-estimating, looking at their recent(ish) form. Potential dark horse in the group.
Yes, they haven't lost a game in over a year and they have quality players. They got unlucky with their group.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

prateik

Watching Eni Aluko on the ITV stream..

Wasn't she the one who was paid money by the English FA to not talk about the manager making a racist remark?

I can't remember if there was an explanation for it... Anyone know why she was paid money and why she accepted it?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
To be fair the fact that we haven't played in the official qualifiers because we are the hosts tanked our rating. Not that Russia is any good — the team is shocking and the manager is ever worse (we have a few good players though).
Who are the good players?

RedCurry

Being miserable about football, FIFA, transfers, the exam I have to write in a week's time can all wait. It's time for the World Cup!!!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
German anti doping journalist Hajo Seppelt just said that despite being granted a visa (after being initially refused and long negotiations) that he's still going to refrain from traveling to Russia, because he's been warned about concerns for his safety and freedom by German federal police and others.
They also claimed that despite there being no definite proof for doping that there are strong indicators that Russian football is tied into politically organized doping.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I feel like this is the first WC in ages I'm not gonna follow religiously. I just don't have the patience to watch neutral football anymore :( :(
If you're watching Russia vs Saudi Arabia you might as well watch the rest, too.