Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

NoPace

Just checked the world rankings and Qatar are higher than Ivory Coast, Ghana and Slovakia amongst others. I presumed they'd be shite.
They're quite a good footballing side so do well in Asia but get found out by bigger and more athletic European teams who can stop their attack and have way too much for them defensively. Sort of like an Ian Holloway Blackpool team or this year's Fulham if they hadn't signed Joao Palhinha to anchor their midfield.

NoPace

I really believe Qatar aren't as bad as they are being made out. They pretty convincingly won Asian Cup in 2019, beating pretty much everyone along the way. They may not get out of the group, but I'm pretty sure they will outplay Ecuador, perhaps even Senegal. They have based everything on Spanish football philosophy and I'd guess they are better drilled than most other sides.
Yeah my expectation is the Dutch beat them comfortably but they get a win against one of the others. They're better than South Africa were in 2010 for instance. Don't think the draw has done them favours though, as Ecuador and Senegal seem comfortable playing on the counter and have guys like Caicedo and Gueye to break up play in midfield.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Some in the know guy on Twitter has claimed that Qatar has attempted to bribe the Ecuadorian team to throw the game 1_0(second half) but that surely that can't be true, I certainly hope not.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some in the know guy on Twitter has claimed that Qatar has attempted to bribe the Ecuadorian team to throw the game 1_0(second half) but that surely that can't be true, I certainly hope not.
Fake news.
But this is a country that bribed its way into moving a summer tournament to winter.

Wilt

Italian referee Daniele Orsato seems a sound choice so doubt there will be any dodgy pens.

Equador defence unexpectedly go missing. Qatar 1- 0

Josh 76

They can give every nation 1 billion dollars they face and win it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Qatar to get smashed then refuse to let any other team use their balls. Tournament off. We all remember that kid at school.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Ecuador is my favourite country bar none out of the ones that I've visited (I quickly fell in love with the country and didn't want to leave), and since that trip I've become a fanboy of their NT.

Hopefully they can get points on the board against Qatar tomorrow and in their final group game against a Mane-less Senegal, either side of facing the Netherlands.

I haven't seen much of Qatar since their 2019 Asian Cup win and their games at the Copa America later that year. I suspected that they weren't as bad as they're being made out, but I read the comments regarding how they currently shape up, vs. how they were in 2019 with interest.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Ecuador are also quite shady too, if we are being completely honest. They have player with faked passport who appeared in multiple qualifiers, for which they have been docked three points in the next World Cup qualifiers.

It's far from a duel of moral high grounders.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Qatar went to the semi finals of the Gold Cup, narrowly losing to the US last year. They’re not a bad side. They finished bottom of their Copa America group in 2019 but they drew 2-2 with Paraguay - lost 1-0 to Colombia and 2-0 to Argentina.

Josh 76

Ecuador are also quite shady too, if we are being completely honest. They have player with faked passport who appeared in multiple qualifiers, for which they have been docked three points in the next World Cup qualifiers.

It's far from a duel of moral high grounders.
Playing a player with a “fake passport” isn’t even 5% of what Qatar have been doing!

RedDevilMachine

Qatar is actually not as weak as how you guys make them out to be. They are actually a top team in the Asia region, obviously nowhere near Japan or South Korea's level but they won the Asian Cup recently and made it to the semi-final of the Concaf Cup losing to the eventual winner by just a goal in a close game. I actually think they will beat Ecuador.

RedDevilRoshi

Qatar went to the semi finals of the Gold Cup, narrowly losing to the US last year. They’re not a bad side. They finished bottom of their Copa America group in 2019 but they drew 2-2 with Paraguay - lost 1-0 to Colombia and 2-0 to Argentina.
I take it they paid CONCACAF & CONMEBOL to participate in those two continental tournaments or did they get an invite?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Source: One tweet that talks about 'insiders'.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but very unlikely.

Swordsman

Qatar is actually not as weak as how you guys make them out to be. They are actually a top team in the Asia region, obviously nowhere near Japan or South Korea's level but they won the Asian Cup recently and made it to the semi-final of the Concaf Cup losing to the eventual winner by just a goal in a close game. I actually think they will beat Ecuador.
yes they are going to grab all 9 points and qualify as group leader.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Wish I was an Ecuadorean international footballer. I'd take the money and win anyway.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I take it they paid CONCACAF & CONMEBOL to participate in those two continental tournaments or did they get an invite?
Probably paid, but they’ve had Asian representative in the Copa America before

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Qatar are quite strong, they’ve been building a solid team with the Aspire Academy which produced 15 of their players for this tournament. They’ve also nationalized a few foreigners and they have a very good Spanish coach. They won’t be pushovers so before your absolute shock that they win a game or two and start screaming corruption just know they are actually decent.

Rajma

Qatar are quite strong, they’ve been building a solid team with the Aspire Academy which produced 15 of their players for this tournament. They’ve also nationalized a few foreigners and they have a very good Spanish coach. They won’t be pushovers so before your absolute shock that they win a game or two and start screaming corruption just know they are actually decent.
How much did Qatari pay you?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
How much did Qatari pay you?
They paid me with logic and reasoning and my eyes. There have been multiple documentaries from various new outlets showing this and also United have trained at the Aspire academy and Gary Neville did a piece on this too so it’s not new information. Just stick to your bias and ignore facts.

Rajma

They paid me with logic and reasoning and my eyes. There have been multiple documentaries from various new outlets showing this and also United have trained at the Aspire academy and Gary Neville did a piece on this too so it’s not new information. Just stick to your bias and ignore facts.
:lol: I was just teasing you mate, I have absolutely no idea of the state of the Qatari football and their national team.

Last edited:

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
:lol: I was just teasing you mate, I have absolutely no idea at the state of the Qatari football and their national team.
Hard to tell mate, apologies if I went off but I just hate when folks stand vehemently on some opinions and know nothing about it.

Telsim

They bought the World Cup. Who is to say they won't buy wins? I hope they end up with 0 points in the group stage.

MalaysianRed7

Can’t be terrible if they won the Asian Cup. Unless people are telling me that they paid off their opponents there too :lol:

Not saying that they’re the best team in Asia mind you, because I think Japan are.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who’s excited for the start of the World Cup and what a game to kick us of with… Qatar vs Ecuador…

Swordsman

Can’t be terrible if they won the Asian Cup. Unless people are telling me that they paid off their opponents there too :lol:

Not saying that they’re the best team in Asia mind you, because I think Japan are.
as of now Japan is terrible and they being draw into group of death.. unlikely they can proceed to round of 16..

Qatar more likely to advance to the next round if they pay enough.

Ramos

There's an Ecuadorian player named Djorkaeff Reasco, named after the former France and Inter-player Youri Djorkaeff. Don't think he will start but might come on as a sub. Surely the best name in the tournament.