Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

Jam

Qatar are quite strong, they’ve been building a solid team with the Aspire Academy which produced 15 of their players for this tournament. They’ve also nationalized a few foreigners and they have a very good Spanish coach. They won’t be pushovers so before your absolute shock that they win a game or two and start screaming corruption just know they are actually decent.
Yeah, didn’t they basically pick their World Cup squad 12 years ago and have kept the same La Masai coach their entire development.

That 2019 win was the fruit of that long game, and this World Cup is the end game.

Obviously not going to win the thing, but I think they might surprise a few people and pick up some surprise wins.

Back To Madeira

Anyone know what the opening ceremony is going to be? They've gotta have spent some serious dosh on it, right?
Black Eyed Peas apparently. Minus Fergie. I think they wanted her to hit a Diana Ross style penalty and she pulled out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Turns out the
Anyone know what the opening ceremony is going to be? They've gotta have spent some serious dosh on it, right?
Construction workers probably finishing the stadium, they haven't finished some of the fan parks yet. Wouldn't surprise me

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Black Eyed Peas apparently. Minus Fergie. I think they wanted her to hit a Diana Ross style penalty and she pulled out.
This is what I don't understand, they make a big deal of "first Arab world cup" and they aren't doing anything Arabic?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
BREAKING: Qatar ends WC early after losing 5-0 on the opening day to Ecuador.
They'll lock all the stadiums if that happens, and cancel it on some western influence corrupting the country kinda thing. Then the FIFA guy will say it was their right to end it and we should all be ashamed.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
:lol:

I think Robbie Williams is performing too at some point so you're not far off.
You jest, surely.

Lying about the beer is one thing but the Black Eyed Peas and Robbie Williams makes me think this whole thing is a multi billion dollar prank from the Qatari government on the rest of the world.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
You jest, surely.

Lying about the beer is one thing but the Black Eyed Peas and Robbie Williams makes me think this whole thing is a multi billion dollar prank from the Qatari government on the rest of the world.
Nah, he's really doing it. His reason is not for money, but because it would be hypocritical if he didn't, due to human rights abuse around the world. So for the money, but using the same excuse as FIFA.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nah, he's really doing it. His reason is not for money, but because it would be hypocritical if he didn't, due to human rights abuse around the world. So for the money, but using the same excuse as FIFA.
I don't really care about his reasons for doing it. I'm more concerned at why anyone in 2022 would book him to perform at anything.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@moses can we keep the match day threads about the football, we already have many other threads about the human rights, beer etc…

MalaysianRed7

as of now Japan is terrible and they being draw into group of death.. unlikely they can proceed to round of 16..

Qatar more likely to advance to the next round if they pay enough.
Yeah I doubt they’ll qualify too due to the strength of Spain and Germany. However, I don’t think they’re terrible. They destroyed the USA who everyone is tipping to get out of Group B. They also have plenty of exciting talents, including the obvious one, Mitoma. The likes of Furuhashi and Hatate couldn’t even make the squad!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Snitch.

You're right though.

Qatar will win 2-0.
:lol:

To be fair I know nothing about either teams so it's interesting to read up about them before the game.

Swordsman

Yeah I doubt they’ll qualify too due to the strength of Spain and Germany. However, I don’t think they’re terrible. They destroyed the USA who everyone is tipping to get out of Group B. They also have plenty of exciting talents, including the obvious one, Mitoma. The likes of Furuhashi and Hatate couldn’t even make the squad!
ok. the coach made them terrible.. the coach.. same level as southgate.

MalaysianRed7

ok. the coach made them terrible.. the coach.. same level as southgate.
I would be lying if I said that I even know who the coach is tbf. I’ve just watched them a few times and know their players, and been impressed at times.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Who’s excited for the start of the World Cup and what a game to kick us of with… Qatar vs Ecuador…
Thing is these type of games can often turn out to be the better games of the tournament!

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Wait Black Eyed Peas are actually still a thing?
They are, but they are washed up...their music is more for millennials who were in high school during the 2000, kinda like Linkin Park.

Doubt zoomers/newer generations get fussed about Black Eyed Peas.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I think those Ecuadorian values their lives more than a bribe. They may not have much but they have pride and football is their religion. There's no way they're throwing a game.