Day 11: Australia vs Denmark | Tunisia vs France | Anti-Football vs Vargentina | Saudi Arabia vs Mexico

Dike_Manc

Sympathetic call from the refs I guess. I'll take it. Surely that's not offside.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That’s mental. That is not offside. Commentators saying that because he was offside he forced the defender to do something.
Well he does... if not for Griezmann the defender could just let the ball go through and not have to head it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I want an official explanation of this goal ruled out. It killed my 1-1 bet wtf
My betting app has been frozen for the last 5 min, somebody pushed a button too soon :lol:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Haha, that is the dumbest call of the tournament so far.

Do we have an offside thread? The rule really needs to be updated.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sad to see the Tunisian fans go home, they've been great.

BarcaSpurs

How is that offside? surely it falls under the intentional touch from a defender rule ala Lovren vs Tottenham and Garcia vs France

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Justice for Hannibal. You don't deserve to go through if you keep a Manchester United player on the bench all tournament.

rollingstoned1

If that kind of goal is going to be offside you might as well rewrite the offside rule so there's no confusion at all. Interfering with play or not is not really such a big grey area if you keep it simple.

CloneMC16

Not offside. Even looked like the ref didn't want to rule it out. He watched it back multiple times.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I want an official explanation of this goal ruled out. It killed my 1-1 bet wtf
Griezmann was offside when Tchou plays the pass, the defender clears it and we go into the dreaded "deliberate attempt to play the ball" territory to decide whether that touch resets the offside or not

The Firestarter

France in a group with Denmark and Australia, and somehow again possible to play Argentina in the last 16. Weird.

matsdf

To me the offside call makes sense. Attacker does probably affect the defenders decision making and thus affecting play. Referee took his time though, so I guess it was a very close call.

Sheamus

That is a clear offside. Don’t know what people are complaining about. Very strange that people are trying to argue otherwise. Not controversial at all.

cyberman

Well he does... if not for Griezmann the defender could just let the ball go through and not have to head it.
He wasn’t challenging Griezmann, he was challenging the French player in front of him who was in a battle for the ball with. That’s who he won the ball from, not Griezmann

RedDevil-85

That was absolutely shocking from Denmark , one of the worst games i have seen from them.
They are out and they wont be missed.

Australia showing good fight and what a class goal it was , brilliant.
Good on them for making it through that group.

Idxomer

Griezmann was offside when Tchou plays the pass, the defender clears it and we go into the dreaded "deliberate attempt to play the ball" territory to decide whether that touch resets the offside or not
It was obviously deliberate.

PoTMS

If Argentina finish second, Netherlands have a free path to the semi finals.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that they messed up because he did none of the things that makes an offside position an offence.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, since the other game was already over. There is history between France and Tunisia and African teams always enjoy beating France the rare times it happens
Ah. Ok. Makes sense. Does that also explain the way the French players/fans celebrate the disallowed goal? Seemed weird to get so excited about a basically meaningless goal.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
France in a group with Denmark and Australia, and somehow again possible to play Argentina in the last 16. Weird.
That's because of Argentina being mediocre.

I wanted Denmark to win, as the 2nd tier european teams are more likely to cause an upset in the knock out stage than the rest.

Argentina , if they win today, has kinda a free game against Australia.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Justice for Hannibal. You don't deserve to go through if you keep a Manchester United player on the bench all tournament.
He started their first game didn’t he?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
griezmanns position forces the defender to clear the ball, by doing that he’s a interfering with play.

it’s one of those fine lines in the rules that could go either way.

The Firestarter

That's because of Argentina being mediocre.

I wanted Denmark to win, as the 2nd tier european teams are more likely to cause an upset in the knock out stage than the rest.

Argentina , if they win today, has such a free game against Australia.
My point is it was the same 4 years ago

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ah. Ok. Makes sense. Does that also explain the way the French players/fans celebrate the disallowed goal? Seemed weird to get so excited about a basically meaningless goal.
Yes but also I think in terms confidence, it'd have been important for them to go unbeaten into the Ko stages

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They updated that rule in the Summer didn't they?
Not as far as I know this is part of the current one.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent

antk

That is a clear offside. Don’t know what people are complaining about. Very strange that people are trying to argue otherwise. Not controversial at all.
So how do you explain it not being called in the first place and the ref debating with the VAR refs for a while if it's so clear?

Can anyone point another similar situation that has been called the same way if it's so clear? I watch hours of football weekly and never see this called