Day 16: Croatia vs Spain | France vs Switzerland (Ro16 5&6)

Olofinjana

Pogba passing is really good.

Problem is he doesn't do much else. I wonder if he's really that highly rated in France when playing in deep midfield.
At least his passing creates goal scoring chances, Kante does nothing other than run around the pitch yet gets balon d’or shouts.

ChaddyP

space behind pogba / kante and the CB line is hilariously wide. feels like midfield are 20 yards further up than the CBs. Swiss forwards camping out in that half space

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Kind of get the feeling Benzema returning has unbalanced France in final third even though he's played o.k.

Needed a few more warm up games to get the structure right.

Big danger of them going out here as Swiss aren't an easy team to score against.

Dante

Average bang
I know Embolo's only scored one goal so far, but I think he's been one of the most impressive players of the tournament based on his overall play.

Cockney-Red

Monotone delivery and terrible analysis?

In fairness there are lots of really terrible pundits and commentators on TV and most of them are male. A lot of ex pros don't actually have deep knowledge about football and just spout the same clichéd nonsense. Then you have renta gobs like Keane... Great players do not always good pundits make...

I'd rather TV companies got people in who have something interesting to say about the game, regardless of if they're a big name or not. Would save a fortune too.
I've been having this same conversation with friends recently and we agreed that lately, the standard if punditry is just becoming unbearable now.

I think a lot of it has to do with the internet, people having the option to watch/research the game globally and self educate that a lot the nonsense that the pundit spout is just becoming so obvious now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I see your Southgate and raise you 1 Frank de Boer.
With all due respect to Memphis, Maalen en Weghorst, he has less to work with if you look at Mbappe, Kane, Benzema, …

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There's no need for that Rabiot you funky haired bell end

Nori-

Is it just me being bitter but I don't get the "Pogba is so much better for France" thing?

I mean he makes the occasional great pass for France, which he also does for United? He has much better players around him with France so you expect slightly better performance but are they really that good?

stu_1992

The French have been awful so far. Need to seriously get their act together if they even want to look like equalising, let alone winning this game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Really curious what else a midfielder is supposed to do? He can dribble and pass better than anyone in that french team
He is very static in midfield, the whole France team looks like in energy saving mode. Which could be a good strategy in the end. But he's hardly impressive there, and weak defensively as always. Lucky to get away without a yellow card.