Day 16: Japan vs Croatia | Brazil vs South Korea (Last 16 5&6)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 53
Monday 05 December, 15.00 GMT @ Al Janoub Stadium
Round of 16

Match 54
Monday 05 December, 19.00 GMT @ Stadium 974
Round of 16​

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Japan to kick Croatia out of the tournament. Brazil will crush South Korea.

Kopral Jono

Japan v Croatia could go either way but I still think Croatia with Modric will just about edge it. I do hope Japan win, though, being jammy aside they've been very likeable and Croatia's petty overreaction to some silly comment before the Canada game leaves somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth.

Brazil should absolutely trounce South Korea.

Telsim

I don't think there will be any surprises today either. Croatia will struggle, but barely pull through against Japan. Brazil will annihilate South Korea. I expect 3:0 or even higher.

Real Name

Japan v Croatia could go either way but I still think Croatia with Modric will just about edge it. I do hope Japan win, though, being jammy aside they've been very likeable and Croatia's petty overreaction to some silly comment before the Canada game leaves somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth.
Care to elaborate?

If anything coach Dalić and the players reacted really maturely to Canada's coach words. Its the media which made the fuss about it but that happens every time.

Last edited:

Real Name

We're favorites but so were the Spain and Germany, we'll have majority of the ball and need to control the game, be patient and not let them counter us.

Last edited:

Winrar

I’m happy enough to see Korea in the last 16. Just hope we don’t get beaten TOO badly against Brazil, our last match against them was pretty bad :o

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No upsets so far. Can’t see another today unless people class Japan beating Croatia as an upset. Personally I think that game is pretty even.

Zetrio2002

It's like 11 asiatic lions vs 11 Siberian Tigers. Twice in a row tonight.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Only upset I see happening this entire round is Japan upsetting Croatia though that's not that much of an upset seeing as Croatia have underwhelmed and Japan have beaten both Germany and Spain (this is quite insane actually). Brazil will cruise past South Korea I'm afraid.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Going for a South Korea win today, I feel like its time for a major upset

[but it'll never happen with Neymar fit]

Kopral Jono

Care to elaborate?

If anything coach Dalić and the players reacted really maturely to Canada's coach words. Its the media which made the fuss about it but that happens every time.
Yeah, you could actually be right here. I didn't pay close enough attention to the actual facts and relied mostly on news reports. I think history has taught us that media arrogance/pettiness can rub a lot of people the wrong way, however. The general dislike for the England football team is partly due to this.

No upsets so far. Can’t see another today unless people class Japan beating Croatia as an upset. Personally I think that game is pretty even.
I don't think Japan are all that and the love-in for their performance on the pitch so far is rather unjustified, we see organised and well-drilled teams in every major tournament and they haven't been any different. I would say they firmly belong in an exclusive group of likeable teams this World Cup, though, and they'll bring with them plenty of confidence tonight coming off the back of a deserved win against Spain. Croatia will most likely win but it won't be easy for them.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I dont see how we can possibly beat Brazil but I didnt think we'd make it before the last match of groups either so who knows. Our odds are probably around 2 or 3% chance to go through. I hope we at least have a respectable performance and keep the game close for as long as possible.
Japan got really unlucky as a 1st seed drawing Croatia which is one of my favorites alongside Brazil, England and France. But I think they have a much better chance than us to upset. I'll be rooting for them as well.

Real Name

Yeah, you could actually be right here. I didn't pay close enough attention to the actual facts and relied mostly on news reports. I think history has taught us that media arrogance/pettiness can rub a lot of people the wrong way, however. The general dislike for the England football team is partly due to this.
Yeah, they said something like - its his way of motivating his team and ist ok, we have no problem with that.

Media couldn't wait to latch onto that. And you're right about England team, but it seems it has passed in recent years in the sense media doesnt go into every competition with huge hopes and England teams have been likeable but the dislike somewhat stuck.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think Japan are all that and the love-in for their performance on the pitch so far is rather unjustified, we see organised and well-drilled teams in every major tournament and they haven't been any different. I would say they firmly belong in an exclusive group of likeable teams this World Cup, though, and they'll bring with them plenty of confidence tonight coming off the back of a deserved win against Spain. Croatia will most likely win but it won't be easy for them.
I don't think Croatia are that good.

Zetrio2002

Japan will win. They already beat Spain and Germany.
Japan beat Germany by sheer luck. They were constantly pounded by Germans and other than the Germans being wasteful, Japan would definitely have lost.

Spain is different. They have already more or less qualified so they don't need to work hard. Moreover, they don't want a rival like Germany to go through so they don't have to fight.

PoTMS

I'll bite.

How come?
You were a semi decent striker away from getting knocked out against a piss poor Belgium side. The game against Morocco was poor, a team you really should be beating. In all honesty, that group you finished second in was probably the most boring and lacking in quality out of all the groups this year.

Your midfield is ageing but still quality but beyond that, it's not great. Gvardiol can't do it all on his own at the back. So far, you've flattered to deceive. Maybe decent enough to get out of the group but tough one against a Japan side that have beaten better teams in Germany and Spain already.

Dudu

Croatia look great v Canada, but otherwise haven't really been at their best.
Japan were woeful v Costa Rica, but giant killers beating Germany and Spain.

Lets go Japan!

PoTMS

This side of the draw beyond Brazil is piss compared to the other side. Hopefully the best teams make it through to make the quarter finals somewhat interesting.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
is 5-0 possible ?
Against South Korea? Yeah. Depends on Brazil.
Japan will win. They already beat Spain and Germany.
Tbf, they got a bit lucky against Germany and Spain left the foot off the gas pedal. However their energy and organization on the pitch make me think that they'll edge it against an ageing croatian team.

Last edited:

Real Name

You were a semi decent striker away from getting knocked out against a piss poor Belgium side. The game against Morocco was poor, a team you really should be beating. In all honesty, that group you finished second in was probably the most boring and lacking in quality out of all the groups this year.

Your midfield is ageing but still quality but beyond that, it's not great. Gvardiol can't do it all on his own at the back. So far, you've flattered to deceive. Maybe decent enough to get out of the group but tough one against a Japan side that have beaten better teams in Germany and Spain already.
Germany being a better team is actually arguable. I'll give you Spain but marginally.
And in any case football doesnt work that way. You beat 2 strong teams so you'll beat a team which is a bit worse than those strong teams.

Sure, we havent been great, and yes its football - so one ball can decide things like Lukaku scoring or not scoring from his chances. Same with Germany, if they scored from their chances before Japan goals we'd see a completely different situation. As for the group I dont agree, just cause one game maybe was boring doesnt mean the whole group was, for instance our game vs Belgium was a good one, there's been 5 goals in our match vs Canada and Belgium - Morroco was a good competitive match too.

In any case there hasnt been a team in this tournament who has been great in all of their games, France is close to that, being a constant perfomer and even they lost to Tunisia. So in that regard we're not different to any team out there.

This team is not much different to 2018 one, I'd even say it has a better bench. And other than midfield I certainly would't say its 'weak'.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Love how people underestimating us. On every Euro, on every World cup. We are average underdogs who always hit above our weight i guess. And we are always lucky that every team against we play is shit (at that moment). Lucky us

Real Name

Love how people underestimating us. On every Euro, on every World cup. We are average underdogs who always hit above our weight i guess. And we are always lucky that every team against we play is shit (at that moment). Lucky us
Yeah, have you seen that. Every tournament without error.

Saying that we might lose today of course but we're getting underestimated again.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, have you seen that. Every tournament without error.
It is really going on my nerves slowly. What we must do to stop being underdogs? Win Euro or World cup i guess.
In last 8 years we have better results than many "big" football nations but again those teams are always labelled as favorites and we.....we are old, average and lucky.

Real Name

It is really going on my nerves slowly. What we must do to stop being underdogs? Win Euro or World cup i guess.
In last 8 years we have better results than many "big" football nations but again those teams are always labelled as favorites and we.....we are old, average and lucky.
Yup, it seems we accidentally ran into a 2nd place in world cup and a final four of Nations league, dont know how it happened, given how weak of a team we have.
Suddenly its like we have old men in the team who can barely walk.