Day 17: England vs Germany | Sweden vs Ukraine (Ro16 7&8)

MU655

Not liking the formation with five defenders and two DMs. We better hope the wing backs drive forward.

We are going to find it difficult to get out is my prediction. There is no AM, so our central attack will be poor. Every time we have played this formation, we have been terrible.

MyDevil

Wow. That line-up is so full of negativity. Might as well add Ming as a striker.

marktan

I like Saka in there, I rate him. Just feel he should've been the wingback instead of Trippier, and Grealish should be in the attack. That would probably be our best team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably works well against us though.
I wouldn’t mind if it was Mount or Grealish or Foden partnering Rice. 5 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders & a winger who also plays full back is pathetic. Germany aren’t that good. We are setting up like we’re Norwich going away to Man City. It’s horribly negative.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What a cowardly team selection. England haven't conceded a goal playing a back four but feck it, let's go as defensive as we can. The Germans will see that line up and think they've got us beaten.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This lineup actually worries me quite a lot. I get the feeling that we'll rund our head against the defense for 25 minutes, then concede twice quickly before half from bang average counters that we can't deal with. A no holds barred offensive slug fest would have suited us so much better.
I mean Müller, Gnabry, Havertz clearly hasn't worked out so well, they were all too similar and operating too much in the same spaces. I'm not a fan of Werner in general, but I actually see the point in including him ahead of Gnabry, to add more width and depth.

Infra-red

Not surprised to see Southgate go with a back three/five. Portugal got annihilated when they failed to control Germany's wingbacks (particularly Gosens, who will now be up against Trippier and Walker on the same flank).

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Finally? He started the previous game only 7 days ago.
Doesn't count. That was against the Czechs.

He never had faith in Saka against top teams like Croatia. But now he's starting Saka against Germany, ahead of Mount & Foden. That sends a big message.

RedChisel

Southgate clearly thinking he's going to shithouse his way to a 1-0 win here. Imagine having all this attacking talent and then going and playing like Burnley.

MU655

Chelsea won the Champs League with Werner and Havertz and they were up against better sides than this England XI.
I would say that was in spite of having Werner, Chelsea still managed to win.

Spark

Very little threat from England. Can see Germany being 2-0 up at HT and England having to change their entire approach.

If anything, interesting to see how this pans out. Not confident to say the least.

Raredaredevil

England will beat us I have no doubt about that. This is the team I fear most and England is a match-up nightmare for Germany. We beat Portugal only because they were so attacking and play right into our hands. You saw how Die Mannschaft massively struggled against defensive teams like France and Hungary. This will either be a England 1-0, 2-0, or a bore 0-0 and might go to penalties.Congrats England fans, the tournament is yours to lose now.

bosskeano

fcking stupid from Southgate to match systems with Germany. When has England every played a 343?

Blackwidow

I mean Müller, Gnabry, Havertz clearly hasn't worked out so well, they were all too similar and operating too much in the same spaces. I'm not a fan of Werner in general, but I actually see the point in including him ahead of Gnabry, to add more width and depth.
I actually think differently. I thought that when it means positions they worked pretty fine. Werner drives me crazy in every match he plays for Germany. Against France the main problem in my eyes were that the speed Germany moved the ball and the risks the midfield took were far too low for the attack to shine as none of them really is a dribbler.

The only good thing is that Werner will not be on the pitch anymore for a penalty shootout... Oh, my nerves...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Wow a back 5, 2 DM's and 1 attacker who's been know to play at FB

Ridiculous starting XI when you see the talent on the bench
Pathetic selection from Southgate. 8 defensive players & a fairly defensive winger.
I'm currently torn between watching the game tonight or the grass grow on my front lawn.

Such a difficult decision.

Avion

Supports
Attractive Football
England will beat us I have no doubt about that. This is the team I fear most and England is a match-up nightmare for Germany. We beat Portugal only because they were so attacking and play right into our hands. You saw how Die Mannschaft massively struggled against defensive teams like France and Hungary. This will either be a England 1-0, 2-0, or a bore 0-0 and might go to penalties.Congrats England fans, the tournament is yours to lose now.
Have the same feeling. 1-0 first half. Germany running against a wall with no ideas. Another quick break and 2-0. From there it might be even worse if Löw risk it all and send another 3 forwards onto the pitch.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Everyone talking about the great creative and attacking talents we finally have in Mount, Foden and Grealish and not one of them gets a game...what a shame.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Total anti-football. England deserve to get thrashed for being so negative.

krentz

Nobody can distribute the ball in that England line up, except Maguire.

BarstoolProphet

No Grealish again, Southgate is a joke. Don't mind seeing England going out with that negative team selection and style.

Raredaredevil

Chelsea won the Champs League with Werner and Havertz and they were up against better sides than this England XI.
Did Werner even perform for Chelsea though? I don't recall him scoring a lot of goals. He has been underperforming everytime I see him. Havertz has been good but I don't see how we can score with such a defensive line-up from your side.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Why on earth would you not play a 4 2 3 1 with rice and Phillips ? surely that is defensive enough? then can put grealish in to link better to attack.

Shaw and Tripper are going to have to play amazing now then to link to kane or else kane will not be in the game at all

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's the best lineup Germany have put out all tournament IMO.

Probably the worst England one too :lol: What the feck Southgate you are such a coward holy shit. I hope they get battered for being so anti football. At wembley with all those players and only one team will show up wanting to play football and the other just trying to stop football from happening.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Southgate clearly thinking he's going to shithouse his way to a 1-0 win here. Imagine having all this attacking talent and then going and playing like Burnley.
I for one would be delighted with a 1-0.