g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 17: England vs Germany | Sweden vs Ukraine (Ro16 7&8)

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not Swedish or have ever played cb but I did play in goal at the absolute worst and lowest levels of amateur football so feel free to come to me for the expert opinion in this vital debate. :)

Siezard

Gundogan was Germany's Sterling. The one who help the team control the ball better and use creativity to attack. Surprised they did not use their own sterling.

Siezard

This is the starting position. It's basically a 3v3. Lindelof has Dobvyk, Helander has to pick up the Ukraine in the hole who has run off the midfield, and the Swedish left-back has to be mindful of the right winger Karavayev.

If it wasn't a 3v3 and the central defender (Helander) was spare, you'd expect him to cover in behind Lindelof. But he can't here because the attacking midfielder is free.

So for me Lindelof is at fault. And he could have played a better line too and caught the striker offside.

But some context. Sweden were down to 10 men and stretched. This isn't a normal defensive scenario and Lindelof was distracted by the left sided Ukrainian central midfielder running off the Swedish midfielder. The Swedish midfield are arguably as much to blame here in my view for failing to track runners here.
Yes Lindelof always got pushed backwards. He also need to stick to his rival. In a way, it's like man-handling the rival without causing a penalty but he doesn't do that enough.

jdotman

All this talk about CBs but if youre not a left footed CB that hasnt played on the left side of a back 3 on a wednesday afternoon then I dont wanna hear it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mourinho mind controlling Shaw into getting an assist and involved in both goals was great. Genius.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't understand how anyone can think that wasn't a red card. He got the ball? Doesn't matter. You can't lunge like that with players around you, it's dangerous play. It looks worse in slow motion? It might be that it does, but the fact that he catches him in the knee with his studs and the player couldn't even walk afterwards should tell you all that is needed to know. It's a blatant red if there ever was one. It's sucks being that I'm Swedish and we should have won the match in the second half, but there can be no doubt that it was the correct decision.
It's bizarre.

It's also interesting how many people (including ex-footballers) don't seem to know how red cards actually work given they tried to argue it isn't red because "he played the ball", "it wasn't intentional" or "it wasn't actually a tackle", all of which is completely irrelevant.

I also like the "it would never be given without the slow motion replays" argument, as if you need slow motion and careful study to decipher the intricacies of why this is a problem:

At this point I firmly believe that any red card (no matter how blatant) will have someone on Redcafe arguing that it's harsh.

Water Melon

Kudos to the Ukraine. Well done. England are in the semis most likely, though.

lysglimt

Scout
He’s played the ball and the follow through looks far worse in slow motion. Not chance that’s a red card without slow mo and VAR
Sorry but you are so completely wrong - that is as red as they come. When you put your studs against someones knee so that it bends backwards, that is a red. Even the player himself admitted it in an interview after seeing the replay

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I don't understand how anyone can think that wasn't a red card. He got the ball? Doesn't matter. You can't lunge like that with players around you, it's dangerous play. It looks worse in slow motion? It might be that it does, but the fact that he catches him in the knee with his studs and the player couldn't even walk afterwards should tell you all that is needed to know. It's a blatant red if there ever was one. It's sucks being that I'm Swedish and we should have won the match in the second half, but there can be no doubt that it was the correct decision.
Are you a referee, though?

TheLiverBird

We’ve given ourselves a great chance

we are probably the toughest team to beat especially out of the remaining teams based on what I’ve seen

on paper of course our draw now we are past ze Germans looks fantastic

but your a mug if you think it will be plain sailing, pressure does weird and unpredictable things in sport

but I’m still confident we’ll get too the final

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We given ourselves a great chance

we are probably the toughest team to beat especially out of the remaining teams based on what I’ve seen

but your a mug if you think it will be plain sailing, pressure does weird and unpredictable things in sport

Completely agree, expect each match to be a rollercoaster.

Lappen

It's bizarre.

It's also interesting how many people (including ex-footballers) don't seem to know how red cards actually work given they tried to argue it isn't red because "he played the ball", "it wasn't intentional" or "it wasn't actually a tackle", all of which is completely irrelevant.

I also like the "it would never be given without the slow motion replays" argument, as if you need slow motion and careful study to decipher the intricacies of why this is a problem:

At this point I firmly believe that any red card (no matter how blatant) will have someone on Redcafe arguing that it's harsh.
You are absolutely right!

I think the way even players on the pitch use the frase "I played the ball" makes it sometimes hard for some to understand the rule it self.
A swedish ref on tv explained another situation that if it is a straight leg that hit the ankle, its yellow, and if it hits higher its a red. I guess thats the line between, to tuff and dangerous play.

When I played in the 90's I got away with a kick in the head because I was first on the ball :0) good old times.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
We’ve given ourselves a great chance

All the pressure it's on England now, Czech Republic/Denmark and Ukraine have nothing to lose.
This will definitely be a mental boost for those 3 teams.

Pickle85

I enjoy it. You’re all so sensitive, and most of it is in jest to be fair, guess you missed the white text.
I don't think many are that sensitive, you just shouldn't be surprised if you're coming here specifically to wind people up that people tell you you're talking nonsense. Also, not sure I saw any white text...great defense though, isn't it?! Can say anything and then say 'Ah, no, I just meant it in jest!'

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't think many are that sensitive, you just shouldn't be surprised if you're coming here specifically to wind people up that people tell you you're talking nonsense. Also, not sure I saw any white text...great defense though, isn't it?! Can say anything and then say 'Ah, no, I just meant it in jest!'
Yes, all this came from one post where I clearly over exaggerated and added white text at the end. Some posters found the funny side and I then shared my genuine thoughts. If you missed that, then carry on being touchy :)

Pickle85

Yes, all this came from one post where I clearly over exaggerated and added white text at the end. Some posters found the funny side and I then shared my genuine thoughts. If you missed that, then carry on being touchy :)
I'm not being touchy. Whether or not you like the English team has no bearing on my life. But, to reiterate, if you come here to wind people up (which you saying 'i enjoy it, you're all so sensitive' would suggest you are) then don't be surprised if people tell you you're talking nonsense.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm not being touchy. Whether or not you like the English team has no bearing on my life. But, to reiterate, if you come here to wind people up (which you saying 'i enjoy it, you're all so sensitive' would suggest you are) then don't be surprised if people tell you you're talking nonsense.
Ok, I see you’re still banging on for no reason, I said that to you as you was being so touchy, you still are. I think engerland are one of the best teams left, have a great chance to win it. I’m sorry you missed the white text for that one post.
Have a nice day.

Infact this back and forth with you came from you saying I post a LOT of anti English nonsense, I’d like to see that if you can find it

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You expect England to beat Germany 5-0... my lord, the delusion on here. We scraped by an even game against a team that is easily our level. Honestly I'd nearly hope we lose to Ukraine or Denmark to see the state of the meltdown in here.

Putting together what I've learned today from the Caf about footie:
  1. England have a manager who's a coward and makes his subs based on what the crowd are currently singing about for twitter follows and the need to be popular.
  2. We should be beating Germany 5-0 because they are the new Liechtenstein, as are France (the current world champions) and Portugal (the current Euro Champions) who couldn't beat them 5-0 either. Everyone's a Liechtenstein.
  3. We're better than them all if we just start the Diego Maradona clone with the abnormally large calf muscles who's spent 3/4 of his career in the championship.
  4. Swedish people don't like to see their players get legit red cards.
  5. Only CB's can post about CB's or else!
obviously i'm exaggerating. The point is we changed our formation to match a poor German team for no reason, we had most of the possession and having 1 extra man would be better than in defence IMO.

IF anything our defence looked more confused playing 3.

TheLiverBird

All the pressure it's on England now, Czech Republic/Denmark and Ukraine have nothing to lose.
This will definitely be a mental boost for those 3 teams.
I wouldn’t say all the pressure

England’s expectations are obviously higher, but it’s still a huge position for the other teams to be in too

Pickle85

Ok, I see you’re still banging on for no reason, I said that to you as you was being so touchy, you still are. I think engerland are one of the best teams left, have a great chance to win it. I’m sorry you missed the white text for that one post.
Have a nice day.

Infact this back and forth with you came from you saying I post a LOT of anti English nonsense, I’d like to see that if you can find it
Sure, it wasn't too tough

Typical English acting like a bunch of spoilt knobs in a mob. That toothless wonder off scrap heap challenge and the pony tail guy deserve a good slap.
The English don’t even like the English team, it’s understandable they don’t get the idea of togetherness.
I like how the English in here are lapping up wales out and were mocking Scotland going out too, two minnow nations playing above where they should be and then the crying that goes on when someone goes in the England thread and calls them arrogant.
What a shit anthem
See those England fans ironically singing it’s coming home then, love to see it
And now they’re ironically playing it’s coming home through the stadium speakers. Love the English sense of irony
Oh right, yeah, I couldn’t give two shits tbh, I just hope you don’t win the whole thing

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sure, it wasn't too tough
What wrong with any of that?

The first one they were acting like knobs jumping all around the place. And it was a play on a previous post by someone saying ‘typical something or other’. And it was about vaccines if I remember right, not football.

The English clearly say they don’t like the English.

You were lapping up Scotland and wales being out.

It is a shit anthem, I was agreed with.

The 3 lions song, come on :lol:

good effort though, made me smile,

edit, maybe now I will try below if I can work out how to multi quote myself

Pickle85

What wrong with any of that?

The first one they were acting like knobs jumping all around the place. And it was a play on a previous post by someone saying ‘typical something or other’. And it was about vaccines if I remember right, not football.

The English clearly say they don’t like the English.

You were lapping up Scotland and wales being out.

It is a shit anthem, I was agreed with.

The 3 lions song, come on :lol:

good effort though, made me smile,

edit, maybe now I will try below if I can work out how to multi quote myself
Just because you think it's true doesn't mean it's not anti-English? You see the difference?!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just because you think it's true doesn't mean it's not anti-English? You see the difference?!
Atleast you’ve got tickets now, were they through the UEFA portal? Be a great occasion for you if England do get there (which they should).

I agree Give the poor dab an England jersey to wear

Anyone know what bookies I could place a England to win it all without conceding bet at

Ha, thought I’d sneak it in while emotions were high

I think England have done really well so far, they haven’t lit any fires but look solid, havnt conceded and got really dangerous players upfront whoever is chosen, I think they’ve got a great to chance to win it. No other team stands out as clear favourites.
Ah well, well done England you feckers :lol:
You tell him Harry boy

something like this, if I’ve done it right, sure shows how anti English I am, couldn’t be bothered to keep looking incase the multi quote went wrong. Have a nice day

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
obviously i'm exaggerating. The point is we changed our formation to match a poor German team for no reason, we had most of the possession and having 1 extra man would be better than in defence IMO.

IF anything our defence looked more confused playing 3.
I think Southgate would be called a genius if the same game plan came from a more admired manager.

The English back 5 closed down effectively our wings with Gosens and Kimmich, and since our own ingenious (ex-)manager had no other master plan than attacking on the wings, we were reduced to play through the middle. Which is without a real central forward an absurd undertaking considering we were playing undermanned in the middle because of own back 3.

So kudos to Southgate who simply watched the other German games and realized that the only team we could beat were the Portuguese who inexplicably opened up the wings for us. Southgate also figured out that he didn't have to worry any further, because our brilliant (ex-)manager vigorously refused to ever prepare a Plan B...

It was never so easy to beat us with a simple tactical move, and IMO Southgate executed it brilliantly. It took some balls doing it, though, especially at home.

Pickle85

something like this, if I’ve done it right, sure shows how anti English I am, couldn’t be bothered to keep looking incase the multi quote went wrong. Have a nice day
This is just grudging honesty. I think the ' Typical English acting like a bunch of spoilt knobs in a mob ' and 'Oh right, yeah, I couldn’t give two shits tbh, I just hope you don’t win the whole thing' are probably indicative of your feelings as regards the English

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This is just grudging honesty. I think the ' Typical English acting like a bunch of spoilt knobs in a mob ' and 'Oh right, yeah, I couldn’t give two shits tbh, I just hope you don’t win the whole thing' are probably indicative of your feelings as regards the English
Ok

edit: actually, ok baby cakes xx

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Southgate would be called a genius if the same game plan came from a more admired manager.

The English back 5 closed down effectively our wings with Gosens and Kimmich, and since our own ingenious (ex-)manager had no other master plan than attacking on the wings, we were reduced to play through the middle. Which is without a real central forward an absurd undertaking considering we were playing undermanned in the middle because of own back 3.

So kudos to Southgate who simply watched the other German games and realized that the only team we could beat were the Portuguese who inexplicably opened up the wings for us. Southgate also figured out that he didn't have to worry any further, because our brilliant (ex-)manager vigorously refused to ever prepare a Plan B...

It was never so easy to beat us with a simple tactical move, and IMO Southgate executed it brilliantly. It took some balls doing it, though, especially at home.
That's a fair analysis - but you can also shut down wingbacks playing in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2. You don't HAVE to throw on extra defenders to do that.

Man United had a good success rate against Chelsea playing the 3-4-3 formation, it just relies on your team knowing who has to track who.

Anyway, he got the job done and that's all that matters. I have a feeling this thread would be different though if the result went the other way.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Have a nice day.

Nice backtracking, puts Lindelhof to shame

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's a fair analysis - but you can also shut down wingbacks playing in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2. You don't HAVE to throw on extra defenders to do that.

Man United had a good success rate against Chelsea playing the 3-4-3 formation, it just relies on your team knowing who has to track who.

Anyway, he got the job done and that's all that matters. I have a feeling this thread would be different though if the result went the other way.
He got a bit lucky with the Muller miss and it was a miss not anything to do with Pickford on that occasion.

He’ll have to set up differently against Ukraine now. England are expected to win that one, no excuses about hoodoos and jinxes

Pickle85

He got a bit lucky with the Muller miss and it was a miss not anything to do with Pickford on that occasion.

He’ll have to set up differently against Ukraine now. England are expected to win that one, no excuses about hoodoos and jinxes
Agree with both of you here. I certainly wouldn't say we won in spite of Southgate but I also don't think he did anything special tactically except set up in his usual cautious way. It worked against the Germans but watch him try it again against Ukraine. If he does, I wouldn't be surprised if they caused an upset and obviously the post match discussion around Southgate will be v different.