Day 17: Morocco vs Spain | Portugal vs Switzerland (Last 16 7&8)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 55
Tuesday 06 December, 15.00 GMT @ Education City Stadium
Round of 16

Match 56
Tuesday 06 December, 19.00 GMT @ Lusail Stadium
Round of 16​

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Portugal Switzerland could be sort of interesting as no one is going to very easily beat them.

Don't see any chance for Morocco.

Idxomer

The atmosphere in the Morocco game will be insane.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Logically Spain would win. But I could well see Morocco win 2-1.

- Ziyech and Boufal are even trickier than Olmo and Torres.
- Neither Morata nor En-Nesyri are top strikers.
- Morocco have been top 3 in the tournament when it comes to offensive free kicks. Could imagine a goal coming this way.
- Amrabat has shown his mettle against Modric and de Bruyne. Spains midfielders aren't better than them.
- Politically and historically this is a bigger match for Morocco than Spain. Players born there like Hakimi will want to prove a point.

Swordsman

if there is any chance of massive upset in round of 16. These are the only 2 matches.

Brazil is definitely KO South Korea

If Japan beats Croatia that is a slight upset and not a massive upset like they did against Germany and Spain.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Portugal will win.

Having doubts over Spain after the Japan game. They're great in the middle but need to show up at the back and up top.

Arlo

Portugal vs Switzerland could be a closer game than expected. The Swiss seem to have a knack for being a bit pesky and not going down easily. Still expect Portugal to come away with a win at the end of it all.

Morocco vs Spain is one where you would expect Spain to win in straightforward fashion, but Morocco have been more resilient than expected so far and are more than capable of springing a surprise.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Portugal vs Switzerland could be a closer game than expected. The Swiss seem to have a knack for being a bit pesky and not going down easily. Still expect Portugal to come away with a win at the end of it all.

Morocco vs Spain is one where you would expect Spain to win in straightforward fashion, but Morocco have been more resilient than expected so far and are more than capable of springing a surprise.
Spot on imo. They're one of the most annoying teams to play against and capable of shithousing a win against Portugal.

Morocco have one of the best if not the best defense of the tournament until now and they've proved it against more than decent teams. If they don't freeze, Spain have one hell of a game ahead of them.

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Spot on imo. They're one of the most annoying teams to play against and capable of shithousing a win against Portugal.

Morocco have one of the best if not the best defense of the tournament until now and they proved against more than decent teams. If they don't freeze, Spain have one hell of a game ahead of them.
In addition, Morocco will play at home. The stadium to burst with fans supporting them.
Game, in theory, difficult for Spain.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
In addition, Morocco will play at home. The stadium to burst with fans supporting them.
Game, in theory, difficult for Spain.
Not just in theory, I saw them play they truly have a good, well balanced team. Spain have more quality but Morocco are a bad match for them.

Arlo

Not just in theory, I saw them play they truly have a good, well balanced team. Spain have more quality but Morocco are a bad match for them.
Might they regret not winning that group? Probably not.

Also, is there some particular reason Rodri's been playing CB?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Might they regret not winning that group? Probably not.

Also, is there some particular reason Rodri's been playing CB?
He probably doesn't trust his other options, and he also thinks that throughout the game the centre-backs will have to play the ball a lot.
I don't know if against Morocco he will continue in the same way or if he will bring him into the middle to help Busquets.

Arlo

He probably doesn't trust his other options, and he also thinks that throughout the game the centre-backs will have to play the ball a lot.
I don't know if against Morocco he will continue in the same way or if he will bring him into the middle to help Busquets.
I'd have thought that if Rodri gets switched to midfield, one of the other CMs would have to be dropped?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd have thought that if Rodri gets switched to midfield, one of the other CMs would have to be dropped?
From what Luis Enrique talks about (often on twitch) Busquets is sacred, so I guess he will either continue like that or incorporate some help.
I don't think he'll drop Gabi or Pedri either. I think against Morocco we need a bit more solidity in the middle

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started out supporting Morocco, but after the repeated riots near my house I want them out. Though I would love them to beat Spain. Meh.

Kopral Jono

I started out supporting Morocco, but after the repeated riots near my house I want them out. Though I would love them to beat Spain. Meh.
Would these so-called Morocco fans still riot regardless of result, though?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would these so-called Morocco fans still riot regardless of result, though?
Yes, but if they go out it's the last time.

It's not just Moroccans rioting, just people in certain neighbourhoods using it as an excuse.

Chairman Steve

I think this may become the Yann Sommer watch thread, on top of Brunowatch and Cristiano-point-and-laugh.

Zen

Since the R16 format.... have we ever not had an upset? These were the two I had pencilled in to be fair.

Looked it up myself... seems fairly common for the favourites to go through actually. More 50/50 games than I remember in the past :lol:

BorisManUtd

All favourites won their games so far but I think these 2 games are probably most realistic in terms of chances of upset happening. Japan-Croatia was another but it obviously didn't happen in the end.

Kopral Jono

Morocco, please. Yesterday's results have left me feeling a bit down. Portugal v Switzerland I don't really care either way.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Logically Spain would win. But I could well see Morocco win 2-1.

- Ziyech and Boufal are even trickier than Olmo and Torres.
- Neither Morata nor En-Nesyri are top strikers.
- Morocco have been top 3 in the tournament when it comes to offensive free kicks. Could imagine a goal coming this way.
- Amrabat has shown his mettle against Modric and de Bruyne. Spains midfielders aren't better than them.
- Politically and historically this is a bigger match for Morocco than Spain. Players born there like Hakimi will want to prove a point.
Only 2 of the Morocco squad were born in Spain but yes does bring a bit of extra spice to the match since Spain and Morocco are neighbours with a huge Moroccan community in Spain

Spain did try to convince Hakimi to play for them too:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/05/achraf-hakimi-morocco-spain-world-cup-2022-qatar

NoPace

Tough not to think of Morocco's performance against the Croatian midfield. Might bet on Spain to win it in extra time once the Moroccan legs go.

Swiss have a decent chance, I think that one is a lot closer to 50/50 than others seem to. Xhaka has to be the best CM on the pitch, but he may well be.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feck it, Im on vacation so wont notice any riots. I hope Morocco smash Spain. Go on you Roccans!

gregor

Will Dalot start at RB and Cancelo at LB with Nuno Mendes injured? Or will he play Guerreiro?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Very good chance Switzerland beat Portugal.

Very good chance Morocco beat Spain.

Two really good games today hopefully.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Really hope the official boredom national team (Switzerland) go home tonight after the 2nd official boredom national team (Poland) went out the other night.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
One of Spain or Portugal are going out today. If not both.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It looks like we have an uncomfortable match this afternoon. I was naturally very optimistic after the first game but when your virtue is to control the game and you end up collapsing like that...
If they score first they should be able to kill the game, although, despite Japan's merits, they looked overly passive in the second half.
I guess they'll play as they always do. I'd put Asensio on as he brings a lot of verticality and Olmo/Ferrán with Morata.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Llorente, Soler or Rodri in the middle, a bit more control, although if he hasn't done it in three games it doesn't make much sense to experiment now.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why are people rating the Swiss team that much? They're clear outsiders against Portugal in my book
They are outsiders but it's probably the closest match up in this round - that's the way the bookies have it anyway

The only other that wasnt a big gap in odds was Japan Croatia

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Only 2 of the Morocco squad were born in Spain but yes does bring a bit of extra spice to the match since Spain and Morocco are neighbours with a huge Moroccan community in Spain

Spain did try to convince Hakimi to play for them too:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/05/achraf-hakimi-morocco-spain-world-cup-2022-qatar
Spain is annexing Moroccan soil. In this day and age Spain has two colonies in mainland Morocco. Ceuta and Melilla. Perhaps the last colonies in Africa. Sort of like Northern Ireland being British and not Irish.

redshaw

Expecting at least one of these two games to be a bit more even or interesting. The R16 games so far have been one sided or not that good.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Spain is annexing Moroccan soil. In this day and age Spain has two colonies in mainland Morocco. Ceuta and Melilla. Perhaps the last colonies in Africa. Sort of like Northern Ireland being British and not Irish.
Well it's actually more similar to the status of Gibraltar as British soil in Spain

Has been mentioned in another thread that Spain and Morocco had discussed a joint bid for 2030 World Cup but didn't go forward due to all that political wrangling