Day 17: Morocco vs Spain | Portugal vs Switzerland (Last 16 7&8)

Kopral Jono

I still thought Japan's were even weaker - at least Sarabia struck his well even though he missed the target.
I couldn't guess where Japan's penalties were heading to bar Minamino's -- they were not well-struck but on another day the Croatian keeper could have guessed the wrong way each time. I could read all of Spain's today like a book even on television.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mad result. MAD. Spain didn't deserve it. Didn't do enough to win it over 120 minutes. Morocco had a game plan and they executed it. They were willing to chance penalties rather than go the South Korean route and go toe to toe with better players. Good for them. They got the result that they played for. Spain was just not good enough.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Not as you fanboys
Exponentially more. So, so, so much more. Every single thread, every post. You find some way to relate it back to Ronaldo. You must be a huge fan to be thinking about him so much :D

Ronaldo never panenka'd a ball like that :D

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ronaldo is dropped, the King doesn't start.

Guess he would be good for pens.

horse_pills

Apparently Morroco have thrown Bono in the air. Even at a time like this they've still found time to get revenge for the Songs Of Innocence/Apple debacle. Amazing

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He has his blunders at Sevilla and Girona, same stuff with Yann Sommer at club level while looking fantastic with Switzerland NT.

Buying goalkeepers based on international cup performances is very risky, but I'd say buying players based on international tournaments is risky overall no matter the position... international football allows inconsistent players to shine more.
He was voted the best keeper of La Liga no ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wow Dalot starting over Cancelo, surprise. Great for Dalot.

Santos really should've put Leao in there though. And get Bruno back to being a 10.

Abraxas

Good choice by the Portugal manager. Ronaldo can't possibly be one of their best forwards anymore. He's mediocre now.

Phil

Santos did the right thing, unbelievable. Not sure about Guerreiro over Cancelo at LB though.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Stop disrespecting Switzerland. Portugal's lockeroom must a right mess with the Ronaldo stuff
I’m not disrespecting Switzerland I’m just being realistic.

I fecking hope Portugal beat them anyway. The quality of that side of the draw is bad enough. A Swiss / Morocco quarter is too dull to even entertain.

Dr. StrangeHate

Thought Switzerland might have a good chance against Portugal before I saw Ronaldo was dropped. Portugal might have a real chance at winning the World Cup if he stays on the bench. Portugal have by far the most underrated squad in this World Cup. So many excellent players
This is my worry too. With Ronaldo on the bench this is a scary team with no one to hamper them. I fear they can go all the way and Ronaldo fans will be even more insufferable. Even if he doesn't play a single minute and Portugal win the world cup, he will be made the GOAT.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Don't know why didn't start Morata. He's their only goal scorer. Morocco were terrific. They'll give anyone a game this tournament, I'll just pretend I'm watching Portugal when they play. They have a great chance of making the semi.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

I fecking hope Portugal beat them anyway. The quality of that side of the draw is bad enough. A Swiss / Morocco quarter is too dull to even entertain.
Fair enough

diarm

Don't know why didn't start Morata. He's their only goal scorer. Morocco were terrific. They'll give anyone a game this tournament, I'll just pretend I'm watching Portugal when they play. They have a great chance of making the semi.
You will be watching Portugal next time they play.

Probably.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exponentially more. So, so, so much more. Every single thread, every post. You find some way to relate it back to Ronaldo. You must be a huge fan to be thinking about him so much :D

Ronaldo never panenka'd a ball like that :D
Damn, now i can't comment how he is benched. :wenger:

Kopral Jono

Mad result. MAD. Spain didn't deserve it. Didn't do enough to win it over 120 minutes. Morocco had a game plan and they executed it. They were willing to chance penalties rather than go the South Korean route and go toe to toe with better players. Good for them. They got the result that they played for. Spain was just not good enough.
I think everyone predicted a close game where either side could win. Having seen how unimpressive Spain were in the Japan game deep inside I knew Morocco were going to just about pull through, I just didn't want to say it in case I jinxed them because I wanted them to win!

Oranges038

For all the praise that Spain got in the Euros, they struggled to win games in regular time. The performance in this competition hasn't been that different, just that they did not do well in the shootout. Simply not good enough over the last years.
They are just slow boring and predictable.

always_hoping

Credit to Morroco rewarded for their serious work rate. As for Spain In 120 plus minutes one shot on target and 1019 passes then woeful penalties enough said.

Did the Portugal manager show some balls to drop Ronaldo or has he a niggle?

Kaos

Nonsense. Two smaller nations at a WC quarterfinal, no obvious favourite. I'd love it to happen.

That and I'd love some early PR7 tears (Sorry Bruno and Dalot, but they've got at least another WC in them).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spain are terrible. Pass, pass, pass, pass. If you want to play that style, you have to move the ball faster. Teams get into position quickly and Spain then have nothing but another pass out wide, who then passes infield, who then passes backwards, who then passes out wide.. rinse repeat.

mav_9me

Impressed by Santos for dropping Cancelo too, who hasn't been impressive so far this world cup. Well deserved to Dalot.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Who was shittier at PKs, Japan or Spain?
Japan looked worse, zero pace on the balls. But it should be noted Bounou and Livakovic are two of the tournaments most underrated keepers. Also both very big and agile covering the whole goal just like Courtois. Serbias goalie also huge.

Zen

Ronaldo's been crying over it too, you can tell from when he got off that bus. I mean, this dude is in massive denial over the fact he's 37. :lol:

edcunited1878

Morocco topped a solid group and are a disciplined, hard working side with 2 talented and very good full backs. They have energy and belief in their ways.

Those are the teams that will give possession based teams issues. Spain only had 1 shot on target and hit the post from a very, very acute angle.

You need some cutting edge, direct play, and chancers when you're up against sides who won't let you enter through the front door during tournaments.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ronaldos poor character is coming out at NT level too, nothing to do with ETH the little narcissist

mav_9me

How different are Spain from us under LVG? Meaningless possession without penetration.

Kaos

Spain are terrible. Pass, pass, pass, pass. If you want to play that style, you have to move the ball faster. Teams get into position quickly and Spain then have nothing but another pass out wide, who then passes infield, who then passes backwards, who then passes out wide.. rinse repeat.
I feel like that style would have worked for them a decade or so ago, hence their dominance then.

Football has evolved since, even weaker sides are able to organise themselves and press effectively as a unit.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Nonsense. Two smaller nations at a WC quarterfinal, no obvious favourites. I'd love it to happen.

That and I'd love some early PR7 tears (Sorry Bruno and Dalot, but they've got at least another WC in them).
Yeah, I understand the underdog appeal.

I just find Switzerland and Morocco incredibly dull teams.

I don’t want Portugal to win the WC (solely because of Ronaldo, nothing against the rest of the team), but I don’t want Switzerland or Morocco in the semis of the fecking WC.

I’m a neutral (regarding those 3 teams) and bad football is bad football.