Day 17: Morocco vs Spain | Portugal vs Switzerland (Last 16 7&8)

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
1019 passes

1 shot on target

That's just criminal, no matter what type of football you're trying to play. Late stage Wenger would blush.

LARulz

Spain have only won 3 World Cup games since 2010 apparently:

Iran, Australia and Costa Rica

fallengt

feck. Ronaldo is benched. Santos' finally grown a pair
Portugal actually may have a chance now.

Kopral Jono

Two abysmal 'footballing' teams, whoever wins out of Portugal/Switzerland should more than fancy their chances
How were Morocco abysmal? They played to their strengths and got rewarded each time, there is nothing abysmal in that.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Game against Portugal/Switzerland will be even harder with all the injuries they got. Heroic performance anyway to get there

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Santos seems to like his left-back to be left-footed, especially with Felix on the same side who doesn't really keep up the width.

And Dalot is a better right-back than Cancelo.
Dalot is a better what then who ???

Lee565

Why is itv presenting team dressed up like a pop band with the matching coloured clothing?

Blackwidow

Doubt they lost to Japan on purpose.
Enrique later told that he did not know that they were out for some minutes when Costa Rica lead against Germany. They believed Germany were winning - and after the first half not with more than 7 goals... They for sure did not put everything in to win or even draw what would have made them first in the table in the second half of that match.

Chairman Steve

Piers on suicide watch

Cue Portugal to now look like a much better team with the anchor on the bench.

Dazzmondo

Thought Switzerland might have a good chance against Portugal before I saw Ronaldo was dropped. Portugal might have a real chance at winning the World Cup if he stays on the bench. Portugal have by far the most underrated squad in this World Cup. So many excellent players

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Called it yesterday. Spain is plagued by Barcelona's issues. Looking good when the can pass the ball around but when it gets rough, it's just not enough. Too much pressure on kids, old glories with far too much responsability, poor attackers... It was obviously hard to predict Morocco would win since spain was obviously superior but it's not that surprising they did.

stoinz

I was thinking the Swiss might have a proper chance, but with Ronaldo benched, I think Portugal will easily go through. I feel they just play better without Ronaldo. This Santos guy have huge cajones benching CR7.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
For all the praise that Spain got in the Euros, they struggled to win games in regular time. The performance in this competition hasn't been that different, just that they did not do well in the shootout. Simply not good enough over the last years.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
For all the praise that Spain got in the Euros, they struggled to win games in regular time. The performance in this competition hasn't been that different, just that they did not do well in the shootout. Simply not good enough over the last years.
Spain had a lot of players overperforming during the euro. Busquets, Olmo, they're just not that good (anymore).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Didn’t know Bono plays for Sevilla after I googled. What a top and calm goalkeeper. Worth a punt?
He has his blunders at Sevilla and Girona, same stuff with Yann Sommer at club level while looking fantastic with Switzerland NT.

Buying goalkeepers based on international cup performances is very risky, but I'd say buying players based on international tournaments is risky overall no matter the position... international football allows inconsistent players to shine more.